Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 697866 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4695 on: December 24, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
Had to share what I saw this morning, and this seemed like the only place on the forums where it wouldn't have to be whited out.

Driving in to work this morning, just at dawn, and I saw something on the side of the road. Please keep in mind we're in the middle of a cold snap (I use these words carefully) and it's been well below freezing for a while. This something looked vaguely like it could have been a frozen carpet from a distance, but as I got closer, it started looking more weird for a carpet. For example, carpets don't usually have faces staring back over their bodies, faces frozen in a horrible mockery of terror.

It was a deer, apparently hit and with its neck broken, and somehow the head raised up and twisted to look back over the body and it froze that way. You couldn't see its legs, it was just a weird blobby shape until you were close enough to see the detail of the face in the pre-dawn light.

I had a good belly laugh. I was still giggling a good fifteen minutes later when I made it to work.

Update on the deer: The head was gone today. I didn't see any legs, but they could have been under the body. I suspect local dogs or coyotes. Because really, why would someone just want a deer head from the side of the road?

More than one person I know would be mounting that head to hang on the wall.  ::)
I have no idea why people find dead stuffed animal heads hanged on walls to be attractive,  but to each their own.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4696 on: December 24, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Had to share what I saw this morning, and this seemed like the only place on the forums where it wouldn't have to be whited out.

Driving in to work this morning, just at dawn, and I saw something on the side of the road. Please keep in mind we're in the middle of a cold snap (I use these words carefully) and it's been well below freezing for a while. This something looked vaguely like it could have been a frozen carpet from a distance, but as I got closer, it started looking more weird for a carpet. For example, carpets don't usually have faces staring back over their bodies, faces frozen in a horrible mockery of terror.

It was a deer, apparently hit and with its neck broken, and somehow the head raised up and twisted to look back over the body and it froze that way. You couldn't see its legs, it was just a weird blobby shape until you were close enough to see the detail of the face in the pre-dawn light.

I had a good belly laugh. I was still giggling a good fifteen minutes later when I made it to work.

Update on the deer: The head was gone today. I didn't see any legs, but they could have been under the body. I suspect local dogs or coyotes. Because really, why would someone just want a deer head from the side of the road?

More than one person I know would be mounting that head to hang on the wall.  ::)
I have no idea why people find dead stuffed animal heads hanged on walls to be attractive,  but to each their own.

The expression alone would tempt some people to take it.

cwm

« Reply #4697 on: December 24, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »

The expression alone would tempt some people to take it.

Yes, but standing on the side of a busy highway to saw off a frozen deer carcass head, then putting it presumably in your vehicle to take it to a taxidermist...just weird.

Though I do live in a city with lots of strange people, so it's not too far out of the question.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4698 on: December 24, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I'd actually suspect the produce (lettuce? tomato? salsa?) topping the taco - it's more likely to have been contaminated and not had the bad stuff killed by proper cooking than the meat in either the taco or the burrito.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!  I think you might be right, greencat. I didn't have any of the taco.  Except he said he thought a couple bites of the meat tasted "off."  Maybe it was both. :-\
Follow up:  I asked DH if the taco had lettuce & tomato.  He said, "yes."  And he said the meat didn't really taste rancid.  We now suspect that someone handled raw beef, then chopped lettuce & tomato without washing their hands in between or they used a contaminated cutting board.  My father was the Kitchen Sanitation Inspector in our house: He was phobic about cross contamination.  I learned from the beginning to work in a specific order: Prep fresh veggies & salad, prep veggies to be cooked, prep raw meat.  And I wash my hands frequently.

Should we go back to the food wagon/truck and tell them they need to teach their employees how to avoid cross-contamination so other people don't get sick? I have to conclude that other customers got sick from the lettuce/tomato last week.  I wonder how many customers only eat there once and then never come back because they got sick.  If I owned a food establishment, I would want to know why I have no return customers.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4699 on: December 25, 2013, 03:12:29 AM »

I will admit that I was quite disappointed a few weeks ago when I hit a deer and it got away. He had a 6 point rack. I was more disappointed by the fact that I am pretty sure I hurt him terribly and he suffered but that rack was pretty. Poor deer won a Darwin award for sure. I saw him, slowed down to a crawl, and he starts running beside the truck. I hit the brakes to stop, and the silly thing runs out in front of my truck.  :(

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4700 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
So we had to make a new house rule today.

During dinner table conversation, we ended up talking about the TV series "The Blacklist", specifically the villain 'The Soupmaker', who disposes of bodies by dissolving them in chemicals.

Some of my family are quite squeamish, so I shut down the conversation.

New house rule: No discussing methods of body disposal during Christmas dinner  >:D

cwm

« Reply #4701 on: December 26, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
So we had to make a new house rule today.

During dinner table conversation, we ended up talking about the TV series "The Blacklist", specifically the villain 'The Soupmaker', who disposes of bodies by dissolving them in chemicals.

Some of my family are quite squeamish, so I shut down the conversation.

New house rule: No discussing methods of body disposal during Christmas dinner  >:D

Reminds me of something I saw on Tumblr the other day. It was from a Supernatural episode, and the boys are looking at some red soup. First image says "Please be soup, please be soup", then there's a pic of the soup with eyeballs, and a reaction image of them looking away, so done with everything.

The caption below? Soup or natural.

I laughed so hard that boyfriend had to check and see what was killing me.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4702 on: December 26, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
Many, many years ago, my closest girl cousin worked as a nurse in ICU on the midnight to 7 AM shift.  I would meet her for breakfast and she would discuss her work.  Nothing phased my appetite.  Her sister had a house rule: No discussion of bodily fluids during meals.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Reika

« Reply #4703 on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »
Many, many years ago, my closest girl cousin worked as a nurse in ICU on the midnight to 7 AM shift.  I would meet her for breakfast and she would discuss her work.  Nothing phased my appetite.  Her sister had a house rule: No discussion of bodily fluids during meals.

I had to have a similar conversation with my mom when she was a home health aide.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4704 on: December 26, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
I have to edit when dining with other people, because DH, DS and I can discuss anything while eating.

I had the upper respiratory infection, now DH has strep throat. It is an all coughing all the time kind of house. I am airing the house out every day to get rid of germs.

Harley, my eldest cat, had a massive diarrhea and vomiting episode yesterday. On my shorts. I am not sure they can be saved.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4705 on: December 26, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
Our dog, Honey Girl, is a sensitive little girl.  We spent part of Christmas Eve with her dogsitter, an elderly lady (let's call her "Auntie") who lives in our building and misses having a dog.  Auntie says that Honey Girl talks to her & I believe her.  HG was playing on the floor when, all of a sudden, she looks into my eyes, runs to the front door, then runs back in the room and gives me another urgent look.  I said, "I need to take HG out; She needs to go poop."

As we waited for the elevator, HG started to crouch, so I picked her up.  I put her down when we got outside and she immediately relieved herself of some fairly loose stool.  She had a touch of the runs.  I definitely *heard* her say, "I gotta GO!"

Then yesterday, Christmas Day, she poked my calf with her nose and gave me that look.  Again, I said, "She wants to go out NOW!"  We got 2 feet away from the door (outside) and she threw up.  She did not get food treats for Christmas, so it is probably due to her delicate constitution and holiday overload.  She was completely recovered by last night.

HG is pee pad trained; She will happily go pee on the pads.  She aims right for the middle and is very proud of herself when she hits it.  She does not like to poop on the pads because she circles and strains a bit (she had a hernia repaired the day before we rescued her), so it's hard to keep it all on the pad.  She doesn't vomit very often.  The time before this, she was in bed with me and suddenly jumped off the bed and started puking on the pee pad.  She's such a good girl. :-*

Re-reading this post I realize it is a bit tame for this topic.  ???
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:31:29 PM by Midnight Kitty »

Marcus Aurelius

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4706 on: December 26, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
Not at all, MK!  I'm VERY impressed with your little puppygirl.  My critters, like most of them, always aimed for soft goods like carpets or furniture or clean clothes.  Almost never for easily cleaned kitchen tile.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4707 on: December 27, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
Our dog, Honey Girl, is a sensitive little girl.  We spent part of Christmas Eve with her dogsitter, an elderly lady (let's call her "Auntie") who lives in our building and misses having a dog.  Auntie says that Honey Girl talks to her & I believe her.  HG was playing on the floor when, all of a sudden, she looks into my eyes, runs to the front door, then runs back in the room and gives me another urgent look.  I said, "I need to take HG out; She needs to go poop."

As we waited for the elevator, HG started to crouch, so I picked her up.  I put her down when we got outside and she immediately relieved herself of some fairly loose stool.  She had a touch of the runs.  I definitely *heard* her say, "I gotta GO!"

Then yesterday, Christmas Day, she poked my calf with her nose and gave me that look.  Again, I said, "She wants to go out NOW!"  We got 2 feet away from the door (outside) and she threw up.  She did not get food treats for Christmas, so it is probably due to her delicate constitution and holiday overload.  She was completely recovered by last night.

HG is pee pad trained; She will happily go pee on the pads.  She aims right for the middle and is very proud of herself when she hits it.  She does not like to poop on the pads because she circles and strains a bit (she had a hernia repaired the day before we rescued her), so it's hard to keep it all on the pad.  She doesn't vomit very often.  The time before this, she was in bed with me and suddenly jumped off the bed and started puking on the pee pad.  She's such a good girl. :-*

Re-reading this post I realize it is a bit tame for this topic.  ???

Midnight Kitty? Can we please borrow your Honey Girl? She needs to teach mine how to aim for things that are you know, cleanupable. Like say... a puppy pad?

Melle

« Reply #4708 on: December 27, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
Last night I was working from home on an urgent matter, sitting on the couch beside my spouse.  One of our cats makes hurking noises and before we can react he barfs on the carpet between us, cat food, yum. Our other cat sees this and starts walking over.  First cat hovers protectively over his barf and makes growling noises at the other cat while starting to eat the barf.  Since I am very busy, my spouse runs for paper towels.  Unfortunately when she pushes all the cats away and goes to pick up the puke, the smell and warm feel of it make her nauseous and she starts making hurking noises.  I had this image of her puking on the cat who is trying to eat his own puke and wondering what would happen. I offered to clean it up but she prevailed without further puking.  FYI, Nature's Miracle "Just for cats" does work miracles on cat puke and carpets, even the bile stain was removed.

I think I may die from laughing!

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #4709 on: December 27, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
I volunteered at the Humane Society in my college town.  The college also had a vet school so to save money, the shelter dogs were sent there to be spayed/neutered by students.  This provided the students with a supply of "guinea pigs" to practice on under their instructor's supervision and the shelter got free spay/neuter surgeries to help with the pet overpopulation in town.

One dog though, upon waking to find stitches in her abdomen after her surgery, freaked out and chewed out the stitches, a good portion of her skin, and several feet of her intestines before they found her the next morning!   :o  They sent her back to the school for emergency surgery and the dog was saved, although she would have to have an expensive medicine in her food to basically break it down and make it super-absorbable so that what was left of her intestines could absorb the nutrition out of it.  She always looked near-starving and her bones stuck out because she barely got the nutrition to survive.  I thought it would have been kinder to euthanize her but she was still a sweet, gentle dog the HS kept fighting for her.

ETA - the dogs sent to the students were all shelter dogs and hadn't been adopted by anyone so they were technically city property.  All pets adopted from that HS had to be vaccinated and spayed/neutered before they were allowed to be adopted out to the public.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:19:55 PM by OSUJillyBean »