Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 767055 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4815 on: January 21, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
I ate some rather unusual meals this weekend to celebrate my birthday. I have also been experiencing a bad back, so have been on pain meds.

There is nothing quite like the constipating side effect of medication + rich food creating a loose bowel and the war that they were waging in my lower abdomen. Cramps worse than I have ever experienced. I am not venturing far from a bathroom today.

Dawse

« Reply #4816 on: January 21, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Warning: vomit mentioned

I am currently battling a nasty stomach bug.

At 5:30am, I was throwing up last nights dinner. I discovered three disturbing but kind of nice things. First, cooked spaghetti is very soft coming back up which means it doesn't scratch up my throat. Second, despite being mostly tomatoes, it wasn't that acidic, which means that it again didn't tear up my throat that much. Third, and possibly the most disturbing, it tastes remarkably similar coming up as it did going down.

I discovered that exact same thing about Tesco's sausages a couple of weeks ago.

I will never again eat a Tesco sausage.

Ribena is the one thing I am forever put off, for that exact reason. It tastes exactly the same, only body temperature instead of tap temperature. *shudder*
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4817 on: January 21, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »

At 5:30am, I was throwing up last nights dinner. I discovered three disturbing but kind of nice things. First, cooked spaghetti is very soft coming back up which means it doesn't scratch up my throat. Second, despite being mostly tomatoes, it wasn't that acidic, which means that it again didn't tear up my throat that much. Third, and possibly the most disturbing, it tastes remarkably similar coming up as it did going down.

I could not say the same about the raisin bread, soup, or plain bread I also couldn't keep down today.

I've also found that to be true.  It's weird though when hours later and your dinner still looks like your dinner!

Things coming up looking the same as they went down is often a sign that your tummy bug put everything on 'pause' and it's just been sitting there instead of digesting. Especially if it's been hours since you ate and it's still there in your stomach to throw up - by that time, it should have moved onwards. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #4818 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
I ate some rather unusual meals this weekend to celebrate my birthday. I have also been experiencing a bad back, so have been on pain meds.

There is nothing quite like the constipating side effect of medication + rich food creating a loose bowel and the war that they were waging in my lower abdomen. Cramps worse than I have ever experienced. I am not venturing far from a bathroom today.

Ooooh, sympathies. :o :( That's exactly what IBS causes if you eat the wrong combination of foods - well, if I eat the wrong combination anyway. :P I react to all four possible triggers for IBS, two mildly and two badly enough to really care about, and my two bad triggers have opposite effects. Onions (oligosaccharides)? Moderate consequences, things slow down. Mushrooms (polyols)? Bad consequences, things speed up. Mushrooms with onions (oligosaccharides AND polyols)? I'M GOING INTO THE LIGHT NOW...
"Set aphasia to stun!"

greencat

« Reply #4819 on: January 21, 2014, 05:21:02 PM »

I could not say the same about the raisin bread, soup, or plain bread I also couldn't keep down today.

I've also found that to be true.  It's weird though when hours later and your dinner still looks like your dinner!

I've been having (respiratory) allergy related reflux issues lately, only instead of too much acid it seems that I'm not making enough to digest my food properly.  I keep thinking "well, that was a waste of good food..."

perpetua

« Reply #4820 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »

I've been having (respiratory) allergy related reflux issues lately, only instead of too much acid it seems that I'm not making enough to digest my food properly.  I keep thinking "well, that was a waste of good food..."

I've been having the same issue; I have horrid reflux and am on acid suppressants. Seems they're doing their job a little too well, since the other day I burped up something that I'd eaten at least six hours previously, and there it still was. *shrugs*

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4821 on: January 21, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
I had a constipation issue and had to be put on medicine for it. This medicine cleaned me out very well! Little did I know that lettuce still looks like lettuce even after hanging out in your colon for days.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4822 on: January 21, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
I had a constipation issue and had to be put on medicine for it. This medicine cleaned me out very well! Little did I know that lettuce still looks like lettuce even after hanging out in your colon for days.

You win. *hands trophy*

BarensMom

« Reply #4823 on: January 21, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »

So does corn, but everyone know that. ;D

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4824 on: January 21, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

You win. *hands trophy*

Sweeeeeeeet!  :D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4825 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
Today was a "near miss" but it spawned an interesting if grossish conversation.

I had an important meeting today so I prepared carefully.
I made sure to dress carefully and had everything ready.
And, like any well-prepared person, I made sure to make a pit stop before heading out.

Aaannndd...I discovered that it was not a good time to be a girl.  :P
Really, aggressively not a good time.

Fortunately, the situation was manageable and a major crisis was averted.  :) (2 1/2 hour meeting, only woman in the room, at a major client's site...really bad timing!)

All was good. I got home and told Mr. Dragon about my near miss.
I was venting to him about how sometimes it really is annoying when this happens unexpectedly.

He looked kind of puzzled and asked "So how come women don't keep a "go bag" with spare pants and underwear? That's what guys would do."

I replied "I really have no idea. Maybe because they would worry that the spare wouldn't match their outfit?"

"Well, blood doesn't match anything!"

But it does make me wonder why we don't do it that way.

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #4826 on: January 21, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »

And, like any well-prepared person, I made sure to make a pit stop before heading out.

Fortunately, the situation was manageable and a major crisis was averted.  :) (2 1/2 hour meeting, only woman in the room, at a major client's site...really bad timing!)

I was venting to him about how sometimes it really is annoying when this happens unexpectedly.

He looked kind of puzzled and asked "So how come women don't keep a "go bag" with spare pants and underwear? That's what guys would do."

I replied "I really have no idea. Maybe because they would worry that the spare wouldn't match their outfit?"

Some of us do. :P Back in my early 20s when I would regularly have the Week Of Doom And Despair, I kept spare undies at work and in a ziplock at the bottom of my shoulder bag, and I did not own a single pair of white pants. Everything that I was willing to wear out of the house was black or denim, and wouldn't show damp watermarks if I had to rinse it in a hand basin.  :-[
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4827 on: January 21, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »

Some of us do. :P Back in my early 20s when I would regularly have the Week Of Doom And Despair, I kept spare undies at work and in a ziplock at the bottom of my shoulder bag, and I did not own a single pair of white pants. Everything that I was willing to wear out of the house was black or denim, and wouldn't show damp watermarks if I had to rinse it in a hand basin.  :-[

I keep a pair of spare undies in a zippy bag in my purse and generally keep my black gym yoga pants in the car.  It at least gives me something to wear until I get home.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

perpetua

« Reply #4828 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:30 AM »

*round of applause*

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4829 on: January 22, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
I now keep a go bag in the car with gym clothes and work clothes, baby wipes, and medications. I have far too many mishaps not to have that and I live over 30 minutes away from work.

The abdominal symptoms have dissipated, but my back is no better.  :(