Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 746551 times)

Cutenoob

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4890 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:34 AM »

Food vacuum cat has a habit of eating so fast it makes everything come right back up.

I call those Scarf & Barfs. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4891 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »
I am just curious but what is so wrong with those gummy bears that they cause umm... explosions after only eating a handful?

The particular artificial sweetener used has the tendency to, shall we say, "get its revenge". (Honestly, I have this problem with ANY artificial sweetener - but that particular one is known for hitting people who can tolerate, say, aspartame or sucralose.) Same deal as those Pringles a while back that used that olestra stuff - it basically runs right through you and wreaks havoc.

Unfortunately, they seem to be transitioning all gummy candies they make to using that sweetener...

It's a type of sugar alcohol.  Some people tolerate sugar alcohol okay, some do NOT. 

For a very long time, the only thing I ever saw sugar alcohols in were sugar free gum, maybe diabetic sugar free candy, and the occasionally lollypop.   Those were usually malitol, sorbitol, and xylitol. They seem to be sneaking their way in a lot of other foods now, I assuming it'd an attempt to lower the refined sugar used or calorie count.  I've known more than one person to fall afoul of the sugar free gum and candy bits.

Oh, olestra, how I hate thee.  It's like a war was taking place in my intestines.  One handful of anything containing olestra, will have me on the toilet for three to five days.  It gives me the severe cramping, explosive-mucus laced diarrhea, and causes me to sweat profusely.  Seriously, I've had both dysentery and e-coli poisoning that I had less toilet time with than with one handful of olestra laden potato chips.

Anything ending in -itol is a sugar alcohol (aka a polyol), and they're common triggers for IBS as well as acting as a laxative for lots of people. Thing is, if you react badly to the -itol artificial sweeteners, it's worth nothing that mannitol and sorbitol occur naturally in a lot of foods... including mushrooms (sob!), apples, pears, watermelon, sweet corn, and pretty well every stone fruit in existence. Guess why I know. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4892 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »

Food vacuum cat has a habit of eating so fast it makes everything come right back up.

Which, with some animals, becomes Scarfs and Barfs and Scarfs.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4893 on: January 28, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »

Which, with some animals, becomes Scarfs and Barfs and Scarfs.

The Oatmeal's magnificent My Dog the Paradox describes his dog as the "one-man human centipede."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #4894 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »
The Oatmeal's magnificent My Dog the Paradox describes his dog as the "one-man human centipede."

Thanks for sharing.  That was great!!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4895 on: January 28, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
I am just curious but what is so wrong with those gummy bears that they cause umm... explosions after only eating a handful?

There are sweet tasting alcohols that don't digest but are used as artificial sweeteners for various "diet" foods...and may also be used in laxatives that the manufacturer wants to taste "sweet", too. 

Most people get that reaction, some worse than others.....

Apparently a sensitivity to some artificial sweeteners runs in my family - anything that makes Mom, Lil Sis, or Ambrosia Hino (DD) sick...the other three avoid entirely.  I tend to limit my exposure as I don't have as severe a reaction...but I've learned that an inflammatory issue I have (tendinitis) is made a LOT worse with more than one artificial sweetener a week...maybe two a week.  But my digestive tract doesn't have the same degree of reaction....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

perpetua

« Reply #4896 on: January 29, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
This was going to go on the small hugs thread, but it seemed more appropriate here once I'd written it out:  I am in the middle of a horrid reflux attack. It started last Thursday morning after a pastrami and cheese sandwich with mustard mayo and gherkins - oh, the gherkins; I should have known better - grabbed quickly after rehearsal late on Wednesday night and a whole week later it's still going. We've got acid. We've got bloating. We've got nausea. We've got regurgitation. We've got constant palpitations. Even my double dose Omeprazole aren't working. I have drunk an entire bottle of Gaviscon in two days. I have a general level of reflux on a daily basis anyway - I think I probably have a hiatus hernia - but this is biblical reflux. I am as miserable as sin  :'(

Also, for an extra dose of gross: I got home tonight to find the cat had puked on my cross stitch. I managed to wipe it off, but... seriously, cat?!

Reika

« Reply #4897 on: January 29, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »
*gentle hugs and soothing thoughts to perpetua*

Snooks

« Reply #4898 on: January 30, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
Food vacuum cat has a habit of eating so fast it makes everything come right back up. But apparently her usual hork antics were not satisfying enough this time, because she sat there and yodeled three times before starting to heave, and then decided she was going to run backwards while heaving so there was a four foot long string of undigested cat food barf in my hallway. And then she horked AGAIN right in front of the kitchen and left a remarkably large pile considering how much she'd just expelled not even ten seconds prior.

I would be so very, very happy if someone would invent a paper towel that prevents one from feeling the warm squish of fresh cat barf while trying to pick it up. :-\

Oh God the backward hork, you can't stop it you just have to witness the awfulness.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4899 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Food vacuum cat has a habit of eating so fast it makes everything come right back up. But apparently her usual hork antics were not satisfying enough this time, because she sat there and yodeled three times before starting to heave, and then decided she was going to run backwards while heaving so there was a four foot long string of undigested cat food barf in my hallway. And then she horked AGAIN right in front of the kitchen and left a remarkably large pile considering how much she'd just expelled not even ten seconds prior.

I would be so very, very happy if someone would invent a paper towel that prevents one from feeling the warm squish of fresh cat barf while trying to pick it up. :-\

Oh God the backward hork, you can't stop it you just have to witness the awfulness.

Exactly. I may have said a few not so polite things while this figurative trainwreck was going on.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #4900 on: January 30, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »

It's the sugar-free ones. The sweetener (sugar alcohols) have a very extreme laxative effect on many people.  Eating more than a couple will trigger it if you are sensitive.  Some people are unaffected.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4901 on: January 31, 2014, 05:27:02 AM »
Im a cashier. The other night, a lady comes in wanting gas and cigarettes. No biggie. Till she handed me her money. She was gnawing on one of her fingernails, and it was bleeding. I didnt notice the bleeding until she handed me money covered in blood.  :-\

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4902 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
Im a cashier. The other night, a lady comes in wanting gas and cigarettes. No biggie. Till she handed me her money. She was gnawing on one of her fingernails, and it was bleeding. I didnt notice the bleeding until she handed me money covered in blood.  :-\

Agh!  That is truly gross and awful! *shudders*

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4903 on: January 31, 2014, 06:33:28 AM »
The thread about the cashier that went EW about cat/dog hair reminded me of this. And I most definitely went EW. I was so disgusted. I told her so too! And she politely told me that I HAD to take whatever money she gave me. I flat told her that I didnt have to take ANYTHING with obvious bodily fluids on it.  >:(

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4904 on: January 31, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
I know it is gross, but unless you have open wounds on your hands, your skin is a great barrier to everything, including blood. Thoroughly washing your hands would take care of it.

I have a blister on the roof of my mouth. Why? I have no idea.