Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 699233 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5085 on: April 21, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
Yep, my thought exactly.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5086 on: April 21, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
I belong to an online support group for people who suffer from the bone condition my boys have (and their parents/families). Today somebody posted pictures of a skeleton from the 17th century, of somebody who had the disease.  Another person responded with a link to a study on the disease in the archaeological record. This study had pictures of skeletons dating back to the 16th century and talked about additional skeletons from even older times.  I spent my entire day studying pictures of skeletons with massive and not so massive bone tumors.  It was AWESOME.

I believe you forgot to post the link to this awesome site...  8)
Yeah.  How can my story about squeezing a boil on DH's back that exploded and splattered me all over the face possibly compare? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5087 on: April 21, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
The kittens were playing in the bathtub recently and needed a toy. We gave them a tampon.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5088 on: April 21, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
I would have too!

I have been experiencing odd intestinal issues. Let's just say that I know I am not impacted in any way, shape or form.

Thank God the bathroom, shower, and washer are within 10 feet from each other. Also, thank God for oxi-clean and extra rinse cycles. dingdangity the fact that the bathroom is on the third floor.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5089 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
The kittens were playing in the bathtub recently and needed a toy. We gave them a tampon.

*snerk*

mmswm

« Reply #5090 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:49 AM »
I belong to an online support group for people who suffer from the bone condition my boys have (and their parents/families). Today somebody posted pictures of a skeleton from the 17th century, of somebody who had the disease.  Another person responded with a link to a study on the disease in the archaeological record. This study had pictures of skeletons dating back to the 16th century and talked about additional skeletons from even older times.  I spent my entire day studying pictures of skeletons with massive and not so massive bone tumors.  It was AWESOME.

I believe you forgot to post the link to this awesome site...  8)
Yeah.  How can my story about squeezing a boil on DH's back that exploded and splattered me all over the face possibly compare?

As you wish:  I can't find the 17th century skeleton, but here's one from the 19th century

https://www.facebook.com/MOLArchaeology/photos/pcb.708306145886117/708303195886412/?type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/MOLArchaeology/photos/pcb.708306145886117/708303199219745/?type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/MOLArchaeology/photos/pcb.708306145886117/708303222553076/?type=1&theater

The close up of the tumor between the rib pieces is my favorite.  For some morbid reason, the fact that some poor dude from 200 years ago having a tumor in the same place as one of my sons is oddly fascinating (my oldest has a tumor in his ribs that's causing issues though we can't do anything about it until some insurance issues get straightened out).

And the study article
http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/Ballyhanna/FileStore/Filetoupload,216459,en.pdf
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #5091 on: April 25, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
I just can't bring myself to watch this, but I have it on fairly good authority that you folks who like zit-popping should enjoy it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhoRTrgLFI
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #5092 on: April 28, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »
I really need to stay away from youtube....This just keeps going and going.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

diesel_darlin

« Reply #5093 on: April 28, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »
I have watched erm heard about so many videos by that Dr Vikram.  ;D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5094 on: April 28, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
This should probably go into the "don't  do that" thread,  but it is  a bit too gross.

So I love strawberries. I'm also very allergic to strawberries.   I have what is referred to as  "rare strawberry allergy symptoms". Usually I can eat one or two without incident as long as I take my allergy medicine.

So I bought my DH some gloriously beautiful strawberries the other day.  I came home tonight,  had dinner,  and they were staring at me saying "eat me".  Since I just took my allergy and asthma medicine,  I figured one wouldn't kill me.

How wrong I was...

Less than 10 minutes later I start itching,  my pulse is racing,  my stomach churning,  my nose is both clogged and running (I've never figured out how it can be both at the same time,  but it does happen ) .   I spent the next 10 minutes playing homage to the toilet bowl gods.  Clean myself up, go back to the living room.  RUN!  BACK to the bathroom,  #2 and #3 this time.

Now I hurt all over and even the tops of my freaking feet are itching. No hives , just splotchy. I need a shower now, preferably with some oatmeal bath wash.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5095 on: April 28, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »
There are some beautiful things that you look at but don't touch...for most of us it is quilts at the annual festival or a museum (unless we're wearing white cotton gloves), for my brother it is seafood, and for you - it is strawberries.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5096 on: April 28, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
There are some beautiful things that you look at but don't touch...for most of us it is quilts at the annual festival or a museum (unless we're wearing white cotton gloves), for my brother it is seafood, and for you - it is strawberries.

Sadly,  strawberry is actually one of the milder of my food allergies,  hence the reason I thought I could get away with eating only one.   Unfortunately,  allergies can "ramp up"  without any warning. That reaction used to not happen until I ate about five or six large ones.

Shellfish is pretty  disastrous as well. It started off with mild itching and some mild GI distress one day and the next day, when I went to eat my leftovers,  nearly closed my airway off. Day one's itching I didn't realize it was from the shrimp.

ETA : I have bad food allergies, half of the big eight,  plus some screw ball ones thrown in.   Though I guess technically,  I'm not allergic to wheat,  I'm gluten intolerant (which I was told is actually autoimmune,  not a standard allergy).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:00:51 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

alkira6

« Reply #5097 on: April 28, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »

Sadly,  strawberry is actually one of the milder of my food allergies,  hence the reason I thought I could get away with eating only one.   Unfortunately,  allergies can "ramp up"  without any warning. That reaction used to not happen until I ate about five or six large ones.

Shellfish is pretty  disastrous as well. It started off with mild itching and some mild GI distress one day and the next day, when I went to eat my leftovers,  nearly closed my airway off. Day one's itching I didn't realize it was from the shrimp.

ETA : I have bad food allergies, half of the big eight,  plus some screw ball ones thrown in.   Though I guess technically,  I'm not allergic to wheat,  I'm gluten intolerant (which I was told is actually autoimmune,  not a standard allergy).

Are you me?

KimberlyM

« Reply #5098 on: April 29, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
I have the same response to strawberries, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.  I used to attempt to eat a couple every year hoping I'd outgrow the allergy (I was 13 when I became allergic, prior to that I could, and did, eat them by the truckload).  15 years ago was my last attempt, because, as you say, they ramp up, and that time I lost consciousness and started vomiting at the same time, nearly choked to death.  Learned my lesson and now I just watch people eat them with longing in my eyes.  :(

I have a similar response to coconut and my tongue swells if I touch pineapple, but those I never really cared for so no biggie. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5099 on: April 29, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
If you are allergic to pineapple, be careful with kiwi fruit.  And with latex.  I've been told that those allergies go hand in hand.

I have a contact allergy to latex and adhesive tape.  My mouth always tingled when I ate pineapple but I just assumed it was the acidity.  I don't buy it any more but I will have a couple of pieces when there is a fruit tray at a party.  I used to eat a whole pineapple in 2 or 3 days.  Kiwi has never been a favourite so I don't really miss it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario