Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 797827 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5100 on: April 29, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
More in line with the Gross Out thread, I'm also allergic to adhesive tape, which is also related to the latex allergy.

If you put a band-aid on me anywhere but my fingers and heels, within 15 minutes, I'll have this red, prickly rash when you pull the tape off.  I had mole removed from my neck that was melanoma.  So the incision was quite long to help hide it in the crease along my jaw line.  I had a lot of stitches - black - that I couldn't cover.  I spent 10 days walking around, looking like an extra in a slasher movie.

A couple of years later, I had another mole removed from my shoulder because it looked suspicious - it was fine, fortunately - and the dermatologist covered it with gauze, using hypoallergenic tape.  My shoulder looked so much worse from the tape than the excision site ever did!

So now, I'll only use tape if the medical person insists and then I take it off again as soon as I'm out of their sight.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5101 on: April 29, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
More in line with the Gross Out thread, I'm also allergic to adhesive tape, which is also related to the latex allergy.

If you put a band-aid on me anywhere but my fingers and heels, within 15 minutes, I'll have this red, prickly rash when you pull the tape off.  I had mole removed from my neck that was melanoma.  So the incision was quite long to help hide it in the crease along my jaw line.  I had a lot of stitches - black - that I couldn't cover.  I spent 10 days walking around, looking like an extra in a slasher movie.

A couple of years later, I had another mole removed from my shoulder because it looked suspicious - it was fine, fortunately - and the dermatologist covered it with gauze, using hypoallergenic tape.  My shoulder looked so much worse from the tape than the excision site ever did!

So now, I'll only use tape if the medical person insists and then I take it off again as soon as I'm out of their sight.

Does Vet Wrap work for you? (I think it's sold for humans as Med Wrap; it's an ace-type bandage that sticks to itself.)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5102 on: April 29, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
I use a variety of cling wraps when it works to wrap an area to secure a gauze pad.  But that's kind of hard to do in some areas, like the back of your shoulder.  Also isn't so good for around the neck, seeing as I like to breath.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5103 on: April 29, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
The Sweetie has a bad patch of poison ivy on her wrist - a little too big for Band-Aids. She put on a gauze pad and wrapped with with black Vet Wrap.

The Sweetie is hardcore.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #5104 on: April 29, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
I knew that some people with latex allergies can't have bananas (my mother being one) or kiwi fruit, but pineapple can also trigger it? :o Learn something new every day!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5105 on: April 29, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
Bananas have never been an issue for me.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5106 on: April 29, 2014, 06:12:13 PM »
Yes, Mango, Pineapple, Banana, Kiwi and some other fruits are all in the latex family. My DH, DS and FIL are allergic to mango, which grow like weeds here. The pollen, sap, fragrance and fruit are all triggers.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5107 on: April 29, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
The Sweetie has a bad patch of poison ivy on her wrist - a little too big for Band-Aids. She put on a gauze pad and wrapped with with black Vet Wrap.

The Sweetie is hardcore.

And now I am laughing like a loon. I shouldn't be laughing. I'm sorry.

Jloreli

« Reply #5108 on: April 30, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »
Allergic to pineapple and kiwi here but mango and banana are no problem. Aren't humans weird?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5109 on: April 30, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »

The Sweetie is hardcore.

And now I am laughing like a loon. I shouldn't be laughing. I'm sorry.

That's okay. I'm having a "sounds dirty but isn't" laughing fit over "allergic to pineapples and latex."

4x4filly

« Reply #5110 on: April 30, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
I'll just leave this here....

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/caution-dead-whale-contents-under-pressure

**warning - high pressure whale pieces**

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5111 on: April 30, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
My son saw that in chemistry class this week!

I found cat puke all over my newest pair of Tevas, paper and the carpet. Sigh.

otterwoman

« Reply #5112 on: May 01, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Yes, Mango, Pineapple, Banana, Kiwi and some other fruits are all in the latex family. My DH, DS and FIL are allergic to mango, which grow like weeds here. The pollen, sap, fragrance and fruit are all triggers.

http://latexallergyresources.org/cross-reactive-food

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5113 on: May 01, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

Speaking of cat puke, I forgot to mention here that I stepped in a pile the other day.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #5114 on: May 01, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »

Speaking of cat puke, I forgot to mention here that I stepped in a pile the other day.

This is probably the only civilized* place on the internet that a person can start a sentence with "Speaking of cat puke..." and it's totally cool.

*I can think of lots of situations where that sentence would mean you had found yourself in a very...questionable...internet neighbourhood!