Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 748820 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5175 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
Get them to take an X-ray if there is any doubt that you got all of it out!  A friend stepped on a needle and a tiny piece broke off inside her heel.  By the time she went to the hospital, they were *this close* to having to amputate.  She went right into surgery to have the little piece removed.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5176 on: May 07, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
We have the entire needle, but his toe has some extra oomph today.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #5177 on: May 07, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Reminds me when YoungerBro got pushed into one of our dad's many cacti by OlderBro. A piece of the cactus needle broke off in his finger and nestled next to a nerve. He had to have micro surgery to remove it.

Later when YongerBro joined the military, he had to get copies of the surgery notes to give his recruiter, I guess to prove that it wasn't a broken bone. The notes were pretty interesting.

eta: He got to keep the cactus needle, but it didn't look any different for having spent time inside his finger.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:33:44 PM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Elisabunny

« Reply #5178 on: May 08, 2014, 12:37:25 AM »
There was a dead squirrel next to our back porch a couple days ago.  The barn cats enjoyed it immensely throughout the day.
The barn cats had a Dead Squirrel Buffet?

Yep!  And one of them saved an itty bitty arm to place on our welcome mat. :o ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5179 on: May 08, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
I think I have shared this story, but my DH has always been the neighborhood help in a crisis kind of guy. During one of our many summer storms, a large section of pine tree came down and blocked two driveways. DH took his chainsaw and started clearing the limbs and while cutting, managed to lean back against other plant life.

A cactus.

He came up to the house and I used a flashlight and tweezers to remove over 100 cactus spines from his backside and legs. It was not fun for either of us.

Melle

« Reply #5180 on: May 09, 2014, 03:38:18 AM »
Since the search feature doesn't work, I can't check if anybody already posted this... but if nobody did, someone has to:

http://someoneatethis.tumblr.com

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5181 on: May 09, 2014, 03:44:36 AM »
I have a thing about eyes.  They make me feel squeamish. Really.  Any infection of the eye, or talking about operations of the eye has me feeling genuinely ill.

SO I typed a report out yesterday, which included the word "dacryocystectomy".  I couldn't read the word properly so googled it.  No big deal, I do it all the time. But this time, Google threw out a load of images of the actual operation. I just froze and felt physically ill.

Please.  Feel free to Google dacryocystectomy. It's gross.   :'( 

I could never be a doctor, could I?!

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5182 on: May 09, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »
Since the search feature doesn't work, I can't check if anybody already posted this... but if nobody did, someone has to:

Sooo its not the food that is making me go "blargh!" its the commentary. Also.... wonder what the first pic actually was?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5183 on: May 09, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »

FYI - the search function is working again and has been for months, AFAIK.  (I just tried it to make sure.   :))
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Melle

« Reply #5184 on: May 09, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
FYI - the search function is working again and has been for months, AFAIK.  (I just tried it to make sure.   :))

Huh... well, since I got the same results I did for any query back when it didn't work, it's probably safe to say nobody posted this yet ;)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5185 on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »
Some users still can't use search. I can, but two of my IRL friends can't.

DH checked and it hasn't been ten years since he had the last tetanus booster, so he is good. His toe is healing well, and he is just a bit sore.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #5186 on: May 09, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
Get them to take an X-ray if there is any doubt that you got all of it out!  A friend stepped on a needle and a tiny piece broke off inside her heel.  By the time she went to the hospital, they were *this close* to having to amputate.  She went right into surgery to have the little piece removed.

I had a needle break off into my toe. Got an Xray to prove it (ended the six weeks of my dad INSISTING there was no way I had a needle in my toe and could WALK.) but then when it came time to have surgery...

Could not get a surgeon. Needed a referral from my PCP, had no PCP. I finally got sick of it and went in myself with an x-acto after six months. I made a little cut, figuring I could fish it out with tweezers. (Nothing sterilized or anything... I'm an idiot after all.) Nope, one tiny bit of pressure and my toe shot out pus, chunky stuff and one weird looking, BLACK half a needle. So i kept squeezing until i saw blood, wiped it with a alcohol wipe and went about my life.

No complications, so I got really lucky.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5187 on: May 09, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
Wow. I'm glad you didn't have complications.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #5188 on: May 09, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
Wow. I'm glad you didn't have complications.

Yeah, me too. Looking back on it... I'm an idiot. I could've at least dipped my tools in alcohol or something. I used the same knife I use on polymer clay.

But at the time it hurt so bad, and I was so frustrated that I was getting RID of that needle and I was doing it right then. (My backup plan involved the electromagnet from my brother's science fair.)

Somewhere I have the Xrays from the urgent care (who wouldn't remove the darn thing for me). They're cool, you can see the needle just hanging out beside a bone.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

CuriousParty

« Reply #5189 on: May 09, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
You know that whistling noise a balloon makes when it's blown up, but you didn't tie a knot and just let a little air out at a time through the neck?

That sound is what happens inside my head every time I blow my nose.  In addition to which, my teeth twinge every time my head gets bonked, which, with three kids under 7, happens more than you'd think. Plus I still can't hear out of my left ear. Nasal decongestants and advil get me only so far.

The antibiotics are helping with the chest congestion...now if they'd just travel up to my head, I'd really appreciate it.