Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 788923 times)

Dr. F.

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5190 on: May 10, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
Not incredibly gross, but one of my personal squick buttons - I have thus far found 2 ticks on my girl dog, both deeply buried. I HATE ticks!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5191 on: May 10, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
I have a thing about eyes.  They make me feel squeamish. Really.  Any infection of the eye, or talking about operations of the eye has me feeling genuinely ill.

SO I typed a report out yesterday, which included the word "dacryocystectomy".  I couldn't read the word properly so googled it.  No big deal, I do it all the time. But this time, Google threw out a load of images of the actual operation. I just froze and felt physically ill.

Please.  Feel free to Google dacryocystectomy. It's gross.   :'( 

I could never be a doctor, could I?!

Speaking of eyes, that reminded me.  I do insurance billing for an eye care clinic, and my manager had us follow one of the doctors around shortly after we started, to get an idea of what they did.  One of the things the doctors do is give "intravitreal injections" - which are injections of medication directly into the eyeball.  While the person is still totally concious and aware of what's going on.  I ... found something else to look at while that was being done.  Oh, and from what the patients told me, the numbing drops put in before the injection is done hurt worse than just about anything else you can imagine getting in your eye.   

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #5192 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »
DYS told us yesterday when that a friend of his asked him to look at her engine as it had a really bad smell and she didn't know what to do. DYS lifted the hood and sitting on the engine block was a dead squirrel. A really smelly dead squirrel. A really smelly dead squirrel that was baked on to the engine block. So well baked on that he had to scrape it off with the ice scraper.

mmswm

« Reply #5193 on: May 11, 2014, 04:15:09 AM »
DYS told us yesterday when that a friend of his asked him to look at her engine as it had a really bad smell and she didn't know what to do. DYS lifted the hood and sitting on the engine block was a dead squirrel. A really smelly dead squirrel. A really smelly dead squirrel that was baked on to the engine block. So well baked on that he had to scrape it off with the ice scraper.

Pictures?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

GreenHall

« Reply #5194 on: May 11, 2014, 07:01:27 AM »
...so I'm assuming that the friend had not looked at the engine previously?  I'm not good with engines, but I'm. Pretty sure even I could diagnose "dead squirrel in the engine".  I am not sure I could wield the ice scraper without heaving.  From previous experience I do know that if you have a dehydrated dead squirrel, you do NOT want to use water to help remove it.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5195 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
...so I'm assuming that the friend had not looked at the engine previously?  I'm not good with engines, but I'm. Pretty sure even I could diagnose "dead squirrel in the engine".  I am not sure I could wield the ice scraper without heaving.  From previous experience I do know that if you have a dehydrated dead squirrel, you do NOT want to use water to help remove it.

Why?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5196 on: May 11, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »
"Rehydrated Baked Squirrel" would be a good name for a rock band.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5197 on: May 11, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
We taught Wilderness First Aid this weekend and ticks were everywhere. I didn't find any, but DH and DS did. I read a wound care book that had amazing photos of injuries and I was trying to determine what anatomical parts they were, which is harder than it sounds.

GreenHall

« Reply #5198 on: May 11, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »

Why?
Rehydrating...reinvigorates... any scents that have dried out.  (The rehydrating was an attempt to loosen the squirrel from the cardboard box he had...bonded...with. In retrospect cardboard boxes are fairly easy to replace.)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #5199 on: May 11, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
Back when I had a horse, he was in the same paddock as my friends horses. We had a huge water trough for them to drink out of. I would stop by the horses on my way to work because I lived closer to them than my friend did. One day though, my friend had to make the trip because I couldnt do this myself.
 :o
I kept seeing something floating in the water. I thought that maybe it was a brush or something. Until I poked it with a stick.

It was a squirrel. Dead and bloated. Yuck.  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5200 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots wrote a song about that.  >:D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5201 on: May 11, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots wrote a song about that.  >:D

Ha!  I started singing it to myself the second I read that!
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

diesel_darlin

« Reply #5202 on: May 11, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »
It makes me happy when people get my references!!!! One more reason why I love this thread!

greencat

« Reply #5203 on: May 11, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »
The squirrel stories reminded me:
When I was a kid, we had three things:  a trampoline, cats, and a lot of big trees that tended to just shower everything with leaves all the time.

I was jumping on the trampoline, and for some reason, my younger brother thought it was funny to pick up a handful of leaves and launch it at me.  At least, that's what he claimed to get out of the trouble he was in with my mother for what he actually threw at me:

A leaf-encrusted and mangled squirrel tail.  Just the tail - presumably the cats had made breakfast out of the rest of the squirrel.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5204 on: May 12, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
This is really minor but still kind of gross.  I was playing in a ball tournament all weekend - I have found muscles I never knew I had.  No injuries playing ball.

But I did get injured - unfolding a lawn chair to sit on between games.  I got the pad of my left pinkie finger caught and I now have a significant blood blister there that is making it difficult to type the letter A.  I didn't want to pop it while I was still playing ball for infection reasons and now I'm thinking I probably shouldn't pop it anyway.  But having this very dark red bubble on the pad of my pinkie finger is just freaking me out a little.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario