Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 741361 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5445 on: August 28, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
I've also seen old fashioned carbolated (spelling?) (brown) Vaseline petroleum jelly suggested for foot problems...

I have never had to try any of them as my issues are more along the lines of dry cracking heels...although the petroleum jelly & clean white cotton socks at night might be what I have to start doing to get the skin to stop being so dry.

Do you wear sandals a lot?  That could be contributing to the dry skin.

In Houston, in the summer, I live in sandals.  Note to self - buy more plain white cotton socks to sleep in.

I wear sandals almost 365 days a year, I'm not knocking it by any means :). It is, however, probably one of the main contributors to your dry feet.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5446 on: August 28, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
I don't know why - but unless my plain white cotton socks have pink stripes on the toe - the jogger in the house keeps "borrowing" them to wear because he can't find his (he doesn't stick them in the laundry basket most of the time - so it's hard to tell when I need to wash a white cotton load).

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

diesel_darlin

« Reply #5447 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
When I was married, I had to buy the "No Nons3nse" brand to keep EXDH from taking my socks.  ;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #5448 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
I have a ganglion cyst in my toe joint. It pushes the gelatinous mucus out of the joint and creates a bubble on top of my toe.
It has been biopsied and twice they have tried to remove it. Its been causing me irritation and pain for three years now.

I have been booked for surgery # 3 where they are going into the joint and remove all the excess tissue. We hope.

So today I was looking online to see what the procedure entails. While I was watching a video of them aspirating a cyst on someone's foot, my husband came over.

"Oh," he said with disappointment, "They didn't show the jelly." ;D

I looked at him in surprise. The I said "I've seen some pretty shocking blister and infection videos."

"Yeah. I like to watch them remove sebaceous cysts."

Married to this man for 26 years and I did not know he liked to watch gross videos!!!
And here I thought it was my dirty little secret!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5449 on: September 01, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5450 on: September 01, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
My wonderful DH bought some sort of melon a few weeks ago and never did anything with it. We realized that the counter was wet and I determined the melon was melting into the counter. He and DS cleaned it up, as I was grossed out. I know, dead bodies, no problem but rotting melon was icky.

Today, as I am cleaning off counters, I see something black. And fuzzy. Yes, they wiped up the juice, but did not clean that area of the counter. I got to deal with the black mold.  ::)

greencat

« Reply #5451 on: September 01, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
That reminds me of an experience that I had while working in a hotel restaurant - mostly we operated the breakfast buffet.  Evidently, due to the high staff turnover, none of the current staff knew how much you could disassemble the juice machine to clean it.  The machine, to put it simply, stank like a juice processing plant - eau de rotting fruit!  My coworkers and even the low-level management that supervised us kept saying "I don't know why it stinks like that.  We wipe it out every day."

When I took it apart completely, I found that all the nooks and crannies in the machine were filled with a thick layer of molded fruit juice concentrate.  There was a large flat surface inside the machine that was normally covered in a layer of parts - it had a quarter inch of leathery molded stuff over it.  The holes that the juice tubes ran through were just as gross.

I don't touch juice in restaurants unless it's served out of a bottle.

Reader

« Reply #5452 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
I live in the city, and I've had my dog for about 12 years now.  Last night was the first time ever my poor baby Sheba ever got sprayed.  To add to the indignity it happened in our fenced backyard (must have a hole somewhere), but it required Sheba to have 2 baths in one weekend.  Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap together really works for getting rid of the smell.

JoW

« Reply #5453 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »
That concoction is great, but the skunk bath the groomers at PetSmart use is better.  Best $20 I ever spent.  All 3 times.  A beagle mix will chase anything that moves.  A chow mix is territorial and protective. 

EMuir

« Reply #5454 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
Our tub wasn't draining so my spouse stuck a wire down there. The below image shows what she got out.  It stank to high heaven.

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Emmy_Muir/media/yeuk_zpscf0b003c.jpg.html

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5455 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
Our tub wasn't draining so my spouse stuck a wire down there. The below image shows what she got out.  It stank to high heaven.

And that is why I have one of these in my shower...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_386935-1366-10306_4294822050__?productId=4776229&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5456 on: September 04, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »

And that is why I have one of these in my shower...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_386935-1366-10306_4294822050__?productId=4776229&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Red-headed daughter with hair to her shoulder blades most of her life - same thing, different color of hair.

When I go visit them, I still check her tub drain....just because I know how to do it.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

GreenHall

« Reply #5457 on: September 04, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
I have a mesh drain cover thing, but because of the shape of the drain, and cover, there is space under the edge of the cover for hair to get swirled away.  Most of it is caught, but when you don't realize the mesh cover is not actually preventing all the hair from going down, when your drain gets really slow, you might spend a year pouring drank down it once a month or so, until you decide to buy a snake.  And realize the problem is right at the end your on.  Looked a lot like your pics. 

Oh well. Next time it slows down I probably know why.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5458 on: September 05, 2014, 07:35:43 AM »
I work in a building where there are 4 floors of administrative offices and two floors of classrooms. For some unknown reason, many of the students come to the first floor in between classrooms to use the bathroom facilities. They are exactly the same on each floor, and I know that the cleaning staff only do full cleanings at night.

We have a major issue with these students not checking behind them that the automatic flush worked to make everything disappear but water.
Last week, I walked into the bathroom and noticed a strong fecal odor. I noticed that the first toilet had not been flushed and was in need of one. I did the brave thing and pressed the button for the flush.
Yesterday, I walked into the bathroom and looked right into the open first stall, to see the toilet bowl was filled with blood and used hygiene product. I flushed it.

We are placing signs in all stalls and in the single restroom we have. Sigh.

If it makes a difference, there is no one younger than 19 in our building, since they have to complete two years of college courses before they can enter this program.

perpetua

« Reply #5459 on: September 05, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »
It's not often I make something so disgusting that even I can't eat it, but today I've excelled myself. I make this mishmash in my slow cooker and it's usually delicious. It's sort of like a throw-everything-in bolognese type thing, but with chicken, courgettes, aubergine, peppers in a tomato sauce with herbs and dash of paprika and chilli and it's lush. I got a portion out of the freezer for lunch today and nuked it in the microwave, and when I checked, the sauce looked a bit runny. Since I was having it with pasta instead of rice, I figured 'that sauce is going to go everywhere'. So I mixed up some cornflour and put it in to thicken it up a bit.

Yeah. Don't do that. While it works perfectly well on the hob or in the slow cooker, apparently that doesn't work so well when reheating in the microwave. I can only describe the texture of the tomato sauce as "akin to only very slightly runny snot, sliding down the back of my throat."

Just... *so* grim. I think I'm going to the cafe for lunch.