Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 701559 times)

JoW

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3135 on: September 20, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
Stitches can make the difference between a SCAR and a scar.  Decades ago I broke a car window with my face.  I have a scar from the corner of my left eye to my hair line.  The plastic surgeon who stitched it made it nearly invisible - no more than 1/16" wide at any point.  Without stitches it would have been an ugly Frankenstein-looking mess. 

Snooks

« Reply #3136 on: September 21, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
Plastic surgeon stitches are a vastly different thing to nurse in A&E stitches in my (minimal) experience.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3137 on: September 21, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
Plastic surgeon stitches are a vastly different thing to nurse in A&E stitches in my (minimal) experience.

A former co-worker told me about the time she had to take her then-6-yo son to the ER for a cut on his forehead.  A plastic surgeon was working that night, and stitched her son up in a fashion that left almost no scar. 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #3138 on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
I usually get lucky with scars. (I'm clumsy so i get a lot of injuries, just not usually so dramatic) Mine look terrible the first several months, then fade to the point that you have to get close to find them. My big worry with my leg is that its gonna get caught everytime I shave.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #3139 on: September 21, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
I got an inch-long cut on my arm when I was 17, and the ER doc did a very bad job of stitching it.  I think he was either an intern, or in a hurry...but I have no way of knowing.  My mom's a nurse, and she was appalled when I got home and she saw it.  Instead of doing individual sutures, he did a continuous whip stitch to sew it shut.  I didn't know any better, so I didn't speak up when he was doing it.  When the stitches came out, the cut opened right back up again on the tenuous seam, and it was leaking clear-ish fluid.  :P  My mom closed it with butterfly tape, and to this day I have an inch-long scar on my arm that's nearly 1/4 inch wide, with little white pinpoint scars all along the edge of it from where the sutures (well, the suture, really...) went in.  Also, the large band-aid type patches I used to cover the cut in the shower took the first two layers of skin off when I removed them, so it looked like I went around the darn thing with sandpaper. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3140 on: September 22, 2012, 02:22:28 AM »
When I was about 6, I fell into a rose bush. I still have a scar about 3-4" long, and about 1/2" wide across my left calf. Later, my parents realized they probably should have taken me to the hospital for stitches, but at the time thought cleaning & bandaging was sufficient. Once the size of the scar became apparent, Mom asked my doctor about getting it removed, if ever I wanted that done, but really, I'm used to it now. No urge to get rid of it.

I also have a small scar on my right knee, from falling while running in gravel around that same age. Then a year after that, I fell in gravel again, and scraped off half the scar. :-) There's also an elbow scar from a skateboarding accident. I'm lucky I didn't have any scarring from the hot soup incident when I was 5...

It's amazing I never broke a bone as a kid. Well, I kinda did - I wrecked my bike (about the same age as the rosebush incident), and managed to knock out my front teeth as well as a chunk of my upper jaw. But that's the only broken bone to date.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3141 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
Grandson #2 has a scar about an inch long on the top of his head that he received at the hands of a dragon.  One like this:

He keeps his hair on the shaggy side, since the scar is very visible if it's short.  He got mad about something when he was about 7 or 8, slammed the refrigerator door shut, and unbalanced the goblet that was on top of the fridge.   It clonked him on the head hard enough to deform the pewter!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #3142 on: September 22, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
I usually get lucky with scars. (I'm clumsy so i get a lot of injuries, just not usually so dramatic) Mine look terrible the first several months, then fade to the point that you have to get close to find them. My big worry with my leg is that its gonna get caught everytime I shave.

Kimblee - this is what we do when there's no medic/aid station handy:

- Clean wound and area around it thoroughly
- Shave area around wound if necessary, and dry thoroughly
- put adhesive tape or sticking plasters (bandaids) above and below the wound, parallel with it and almost but not quite touching the edges
- stitch through the tape - NOT the skin - with an overhand stitch, using strong thread, dental floss (unwaxed) or fishing line, making sure the stitches extend a little bit beyond each end of the wound
- cover the entire thing with antibiotic ointment (not cream) and a clean dressing.

Be sure to change the ointment and dressing at least once a day. Keeping the wound covered will help speed healing and minizime scarring as well.

Just another little factoid courtesy of my professional engagements ...

Vorbau, from the field
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3143 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »

- put adhesive tape or sticking plasters (bandaids) above and below the wound, parallel with it and almost but not quite touching the edges
- stitch through the tape - NOT the skin - with an overhand stitch, using strong thread, dental floss (unwaxed) or fishing line, making sure the stitches extend a little bit beyond each end of the wound
- cover the entire thing with antibiotic ointment (not cream) and a clean dressing.

Be sure to change the ointment and dressing at least once a day. Keeping the wound covered will help speed healing and minizime scarring as well.

Vorbau, from the field

Is it bad that out of all of Vorbau's posts on this thread, THIS ONE is the one that made me go BLECHHHHH.  :o ;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3144 on: September 23, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
When I read Vorbau's post I thought 'Hey! They really do that?'

30-mumble years ago,  I read a book where they treated a bad cut just that way.
I thought at the time that it made a lot of sense, but I never saw another reference to it and figured it was just an unusually good piece of fiction.

Kind of cool to think it really is true.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3145 on: September 23, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »

I thought at the time that it made a lot of sense, but I never saw another reference to it and figured it was just an unusually good piece of fiction.

Was that an SF book where there had been a massive die-off from some sort of bio-warfare plague, and the protagonist and his family had escaped it because they were in an isolated fishing camp in Canada?  I think there was such a scene in that book; the son had cut his leg open with an axe, and there was no doctor available.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #3146 on: September 24, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

Vorbau, from the field

Is it bad that out of all of Vorbau's posts on this thread, THIS ONE is the one that made me go BLECHHHHH.  :o ;D

No, that makes you normal. For Ehell, that is. >:D

For a scalp wound, you can close it temporarily (if the victim has hair long enough) by crossing strands of hair over the wound and tying them in square knots ...
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3147 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
My Dad has always done what we call butterfly tapes.  You snip, on an angle, in the middle and wrap around so you have a middle section that doesn't have any glue.  What you have left looks vaguely like a butterfly.  Then you apply these tapes over the wound in such a way that you pull the edges together.  Works like a charm.

Dad was a teacher and had a kid slice his forehead open.  Dad quickly put on a bunch of butterfly tapes while his mother was called to pick him up and take him in for stitches.  He'd used his Swiss Army knife to make the tapes.  The mother stopped in afterwards to talk to my Dad.  She couldn't figure out what her son had been saying.  Something about a MacGyver knife.   :)  The hospital declined to stitch the wound, saying the tapes worked as well as stitches would and would likely leave less of a scar!

He learned how to do this from his Dad, who was a corpsman in the first World War.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3148 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

Was that an SF book where there had been a massive die-off from some sort of bio-warfare plague, and the protagonist and his family had escaped it because they were in an isolated fishing camp in Canada?  I think there was such a scene in that book; the son had cut his leg open with an axe, and there was no doctor available.

That is exactly the book! It's called "The Last Canadian" I thought I was the only person on the planet who'd read it!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #3149 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »

That is exactly the book! It's called "The Last Canadian" I thought I was the only person on the planet who'd read it!

You are definitely not as alone as you think.  :D
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca