Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 744706 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3180 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »
Barely gross enough for this thread:  Our 2 mares live in a small herd (about a dozen horses) in a pasture.  It's been dry and dusty, which irritates the horses' eyes.  Then one horse's eye got infected and the next thing you know, the entire herd has infected eyes.  It's like preschool for horses because they touch each other all the time.

I noticed Misty's eyes seemed to bother her yesterday and the lower lids were a little puffy.  I swiped some ophthalmic antibiotic gel in her eyes, not an easy task.  Then I gently rubbed her closed eyes, which she enjoys.  When she open her eyes, the clumps of mucus that had been stuck under her lower lid were mobilized and floating around her eyes.  Huge clumps of mucus.  I grabbed an old sock and started digging mucus out of her eyes.  She didn't really like this process.  I didn't either.  I use an old sock because the mucus sticks to the fabric better than it sticks to my finger.  I just need to make contact and the mucus will come out.

I kept telling DH, "Oh ... gross ... there's more.  Hold still, Misty, let me get this clump.  Oh gross, that's huge.  Oh no, there's still more coming out."

When I was finally done, Misty gave each eye a big roll (which is funny to watch) and seemed much relieved.  I put a small dab of antibiotic gel in to fight the infection because I had swabbed out all the gel that loosened up the mucus.  I hope when I do this again Saturday that there isn't as much mucus.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3181 on: October 04, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
I don't know if this counts as "gross" per se, but it squicks me right out, so maybe.

Coming home today, I saw a guy shooting up as he walked down the street.  This is in the same area (three blocks from my house) where my personal record is being approached to buy drugs four times in 100 feet.
DH can't stand seeing needles stuck in the human body under any conditions.  He hates when they show someone getting an injection on the news.  As he says, "Did we really need to see that?  Couldn't they tell the story without graphically showing what the needle does.  We all know what a needle does; We don't need to actually see it in action."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3182 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
I don't know if this counts as "gross" per se, but it squicks me right out, so maybe.

Coming home today, I saw a guy shooting up as he walked down the street.  This is in the same area (three blocks from my house) where my personal record is being approached to buy drugs four times in 100 feet.
DH can't stand seeing needles stuck in the human body under any conditions.  He hates when they show someone getting an injection on the news.  As he says, "Did we really need to see that?  Couldn't they tell the story without graphically showing what the needle does.  We all know what a needle does; We don't need to actually see it in action."

Right there with him.  I hate needles.  Heck, I hate anything medical.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #3183 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
DD caught some kind of stomach bug, so I had a fun evening yesterday. I picked her up to give her a hug and kiss before I went out last night, and she puked down my back. Needless to say, I stayed in last night. She is usually Daddy's girl, but when she's sick, she cries for Mommy. yay

Puking down my back, and even in my hair wasn't the bad part though. Neither was the fact that she tried to kiss my mouth before I even had a chance to wipe her face. The worst part came when I bathed her. DD loves bubble baths, and I usually put the kids in a cool tub to relieve a fever. I knew that there was still danger of vomit, so I made sure I had a bucket at hand. There were a couple of problems with that plan.
1. She refused to get into the tub by herself. She cried so pitifully, I ended up climbing in with her and helping her play with the bubbles/pouring water on her.
2. She and DS seem to think that buckets cause, not contain, vomiting. When I saw that she needed the bucket and grabbed it for her, she started crying so hard she almost choked. And she fought to keep the *evil puke bucket of doom*tm away from her face. This caused her to throw up all over me. She was so miserable, she fought and sobbed, so I couldn't even turn her away from me. She was repeatedly ill while burrowed into my chest and crying.
3. As with many stomach bugs, her gastrointestinal distress was not restricted to evacuating her stomach. By that time I had already pulled the bathtub plug with my toes, but I was still sitting in a tub of puke and poop while DD finished throwing up on me.
4. She cried, a lot. It was pretty high pitched. I have a nursing infant. So on top of everything else, I started lactating.

Thankfully DH found some popsicles while I washed her off, and she allowed him to take her while I took a piping HOT shower. But it was the most disgusting evening I've spent in recent memory.

p.s. She seems fine today, still a little warm, but eating light, drinking and keeping everything down. Thank goodness, and fingers crossed the boys don't get it
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3184 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
I'm sorry, but #2 has me laughing harder than I have at anything else in this thread.

KimberlyM

« Reply #3185 on: October 04, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
DD caught some kind of stomach bug, so I had a fun evening yesterday. I picked her up to give her a hug and kiss before I went out last night, and she puked down my back. Needless to say, I stayed in last night. She is usually Daddy's girl, but when she's sick, she cries for Mommy. yay

Puking down my back, and even in my hair wasn't the bad part though. Neither was the fact that she tried to kiss my mouth before I even had a chance to wipe her face. The worst part came when I bathed her. DD loves bubble baths, and I usually put the kids in a cool tub to relieve a fever. I knew that there was still danger of vomit, so I made sure I had a bucket at hand. There were a couple of problems with that plan.
1. She refused to get into the tub by herself. She cried so pitifully, I ended up climbing in with her and helping her play with the bubbles/pouring water on her.
2. She and DS seem to think that buckets cause, not contain, vomiting. When I saw that she needed the bucket and grabbed it for her, she started crying so hard she almost choked. And she fought to keep the *evil puke bucket of doom*tm away from her face. This caused her to throw up all over me. She was so miserable, she fought and sobbed, so I couldn't even turn her away from me. She was repeatedly ill while burrowed into my chest and crying.
3. As with many stomach bugs, her gastrointestinal distress was not restricted to evacuating her stomach. By that time I had already pulled the bathtub plug with my toes, but I was still sitting in a tub of puke and poop while DD finished throwing up on me.
4. She cried, a lot. It was pretty high pitched. I have a nursing infant. So on top of everything else, I started lactating.

Thankfully DH found some popsicles while I washed her off, and she allowed him to take her while I took a piping HOT shower. But it was the most disgusting evening I've spent in recent memory.

p.s. She seems fine today, still a little warm, but eating light, drinking and keeping everything down. Thank goodness, and fingers crossed the boys don't get it

Wow.  Just W.O.W. I bow to you...I'd have been sobbing and vomiting with her!

JoW

« Reply #3186 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
twiggy - I hope you don't have big plans for the next few days.  Many stomach bugs are contagious.

alkira6

« Reply #3187 on: October 05, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »

Even considering the numerous gross things that I have been exposed to or created, that is just nasty.

alkira6

« Reply #3188 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
Oh, need to tell this one.

I have a tendency to get ingrown toenails on both of my middle toes. Don't know why, just do.  Pedicures once every 6 weeks or so keeps these in check.  Unfortunately, for the past few months money has been tight. Really, really tight. Pedicures were one things on the chopping block. 

So, here I am, filing my toenails and prodding at the huge, callousy lumps next to the nails on my middle toes.  These lumps are granite hard on the outside, but they hurt when pressed.  You all know where this is going, right?

Nail on the left foot - I soak and file, and file, and file, all the while wincing from the pressure on my nail because this sucker HURTS!.  I finally give up on the gentle approach and use my nice sterile nippers to cut away the lump of callous.  Oh, my lanta!  The smell! The smell!!  A nice grey lump was hiding under the callous and was stewing in a juicy pool of white/yellow puss.  For such a small thing it was disgusting.  I wiped it down and irrigated with saline and then prodded at the nail that was embedded in the tissue. (Why? Because, that's why).  The nail was perfectly normal everywhere but where it entered the cuticle. Here it was normal looking but  - floppy, almost gelatinous.  I very gingerly snipped that part of the nail away and then cleaned it again and smooshed in some neosporin with a q-tip.  I then did the same to the right foot (not as bad as the left).  I then painted all of my toenails and applied lots of nail art decals of butterflies and flowers and sealed with a topcoat. They look fabulous!

DH just looked in, wrinkled his nose, let the window up higher and left me alone. Wuss  >:D

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #3189 on: October 05, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »

I have a tendency to get ingrown toenails on both of my middle toes. Don't know why, just do.  Pedicures once every 6 weeks or so keeps these in check.  Unfortunately, for the past few months money has been tight. Really, really tight. Pedicures were one things on the chopping block. 

So, here I am, filing my toenails and prodding at the huge, callousy lumps next to the nails on my middle toes.  These lumps are granite hard on the outside, but they hurt when pressed.  You all know where this is going, right?

Nail on the left foot - I soak and file, and file, and file, all the while wincing from the pressure on my nail because this sucker HURTS!.  I finally give up on the gentle approach and use my nice sterile nippers to cut away the lump of callous.  Oh, my lanta!  The smell! The smell!!  A nice grey lump was hiding under the callous and was stewing in a juicy pool of white/yellow puss.  For such a small thing it was disgusting.  I wiped it down and irrigated with saline and then prodded at the nail that was embedded in the tissue. (Why? Because, that's why).  The nail was perfectly normal everywhere but where it entered the cuticle. Here it was normal looking but  - floppy, almost gelatinous.  I very gingerly snipped that part of the nail away and then cleaned it again and smooshed in some neosporin with a q-tip.  I then did the same to the right foot (not as bad as the left).  I then painted all of my toenails and applied lots of nail art decals of butterflies and flowers and sealed with a topcoat. They look fabulous!

DH just looked in, wrinkled his nose, let the window up higher and left me alone. Wuss  >:D

Cool.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #3190 on: October 06, 2012, 11:43:47 PM »

I've had to deal with most of that but I've never had the pleasure of dealing with #3.  Yuck!  I hope she's feeling better and the rest of the house escapes!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3191 on: October 07, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »

It's my second toes, and randomly.  I know the pain, and it may just be worse than a paper cut.  However, I will say, pulling out that gelatinous thing we'll call the side of my toenail is always so satisfying, almost more so than cleaning my ears.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JoW

« Reply #3192 on: October 07, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
You can probably avoid all that pain by cleaing under your toe nails at least once each week.  Clean all the way to both ends of the nail, slightly lifting the corner of the nail.  So you are digging out the nail before it has a chance to grow in far enough to hurt. 

For me its the nails of both big toes.  I do the cleaning trick and have only had to dig out an ingrown nail once. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3193 on: October 07, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
You can also check and see if there is a beauty school in your area.  Some of them will offer pedicures for $10-$15.  If you buy a coffee out everyday, don't for the week and you can get your pedicure.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #3194 on: October 07, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Twiggy,
vomit, diarrhea, and breast milk spurts, all at once. 
 ;D :) ;D :)
 win!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.