Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 721061 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3285 on: November 12, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
Not really gross, but a great book title I just bought "Puswhisperer: A year in the life of an infectious disease doc" I think it was .99 on Amazon (the Kindle edition). It looked interesting.  And gross.

mmswm

« Reply #3286 on: November 12, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »
My 10 year old had his hip rebuilt in July.  This is major surgery.  6.5 hours in the OR and 5 days inpatient.  Everything was going well until 9 days after he was released.  He started complaining about the incision.  I looked at it and it looked a little red and irritated.  I cleaned it and covered it and called the surgeon.  We talked about either going to a local ER or going ahead and driving into BigCity. In an abundance of caution, I went ahead and decided to make the 4.5 hour drive.  I am SO glad I did.  When we got there, the doc told me to just meet him in the unit instead of coming in through the ER.  We went into one of the rooms and took the bandage off.  The top of the incision literally exploded.  It was like a mini-volcano of sticky, neon green disgustingness. The puss oozed everywhere.  They wound up having to go back in again and put a drain in, and he had to spend another week on IV antibiotics. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #3287 on: November 12, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »
Ouch, the poor kid!  :(

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3288 on: November 12, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »
Last night, about 2:30 am, I heard Lexi, the Mama Dog wandering around the main floor of the house.  She's not supposed to be in that area, and we have a 5 foot tall gate stretched across the doorway to the laundry room to keep her in overnight.  Anyway, knowing that she generally gets into trouble if she wanders at night, I raced upstairs to see what she was up to.  She had apparently decided not to go outside (she can get into the garage, and from there can go outside) and decided to poop right in the middle of the living room floor.  This was the biggest dog poop I've ever seen.  And it was mushy.  I swear the poop blob was bigger than two puppies combined (and they're almost 3 week old Goldens, so not tiny). Cleaning up doggie diarrhea at 2:30 in the morning is not my idea of a good time.

I just did that...but there were 3 piles, one on the carpet...and I had been up for 20 hours at that point.  Not.  Fun.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3289 on: November 13, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
We saw a car parked in the handicap stall in front of a discount store.  DH is disabled & we were parked next to this car.  I believe it was a 4-door sedan.  As I walked by, I noticed that there was a lot of stuff in the car.  In fact, the junk was packed solid in the back seat and passenger seat.  The thought occurred to me that they might live in the car because it looked like they had all their earthly possessions in the car.  Then I noticed that lots of the stuff was actually debris from fast food meals and empty food containers.

Then I saw the cockroaches.  I saw one crawling out of a plastic bin which once contained cookies.  Then I saw another crawling across the window.  Then I realized that there were dozens crawling all over everything.

<shudder>

I really, really don't like cockroaches.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3290 on: November 13, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »
We saw a car parked in the handicap stall in front of a discount store.  DH is disabled & we were parked next to this car.  I believe it was a 4-door sedan.  As I walked by, I noticed that there was a lot of stuff in the car.  In fact, the junk was packed solid in the back seat and passenger seat.  The thought occurred to me that they might live in the car because it looked like they had all their earthly possessions in the car.  Then I noticed that lots of the stuff was actually debris from fast food meals and empty food containers.

Then I saw the cockroaches.  I saw one crawling out of a plastic bin which once contained cookies.  Then I saw another crawling across the window.  Then I realized that there were dozens crawling all over everything.

<shudder>

I'd have moved the car. Those things can migrate.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Reader

« Reply #3291 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »
My grandmother once had a very bad infestation of cockroaches.  So bad that once when I went to change the radio station in the kitchen and saw a few run across the inside of the tuning dial window.  :o Plus they would come out in daylight as well.  When the exterminator got there, all I can remember him saying (I was probably 11 or 12 at the time) if you see them in daylight, there is no room left behind the walls for them and the infestation is quite bad. 

greencat

« Reply #3292 on: November 13, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »

<shudder>

I believe I had the displeasure of helping the elderly and disabled gentleman who drives that car back to his car with his groceries when I was a grocery bagger.  It was all clearly trash piled floor to ceiling...I'm fairly sure he didn't live in it though.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3293 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
I don't have a fear of cockroaches.

Now, palmetto bugs (giant FLYING cockroaches with NO fear of humans)?  Find me another planet to live on and I'll gladly let them keep this one!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3294 on: November 13, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
I don't have a fear of cockroaches.

Now, palmetto bugs (giant FLYING cockroaches with NO fear of humans)?  Find me another planet to live on and I'll gladly let them keep this one!
We call those "Hilo Bombers."  I used to live in Hilo.  The first time I discovered a Hilo Bomber in my kitchen, I stomped my foot at it, hoping it would depart quickly.  No such luck.  The bugger flew at me!

As a small person and a civil engineer, I had a project to modify 200 water valve vaults so the valves could be exercised using a trailer-mounted actuator.  I had to go into each water valve vault because I was smaller than the guy assigned to assist me.  The smaller person always goes down the hole because the bigger person can, presumably, pull them out if necessary.  Some of those vaults were constructed before WWII and were seriously infested with very big, aggressive cockroaches.  When I extended my metal tape measure to check the dimensions of the vault, it would disturb the cockroaches and they would fly at me.  I wore long sleeves and a high, tight collar, but still the bugs gave me the willies.  I would wake up at night with nightmares of flying roaches. 

Then one day I was coming out of a manhole (vault #90) and was accosted by an angry man demanding to know what I thought I was doing.  I told him.  He said, "I did not authorize that project.  Stop work immediately."

I did my Happy Dance for the rest of the day. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3295 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:58 AM »
I don't know why the cat's nose is wet, but whatever the wetness is he just got it on my lips.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3296 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
I don't know why the cat's nose is wet, but whatever the wetness is he just got it on my lips.
Awww, a kitty kiss :-*  Bootsie kisses me, too.  I just wipe my lips off afterwards.

Back when I had a Golden Retriever/White Shepherd mix female dog, I taught her to "give kisses" by touching her nose or the tip of her tongue just below my jawline.  I don't like dogs licking my face.

Bootsie surprised me the first time she *kissed* me.  We were breathing together and she stretched a bit further and touched her nose to my lower lip while squeezing her eyes.  Da cute! ;D

Marcus Aurelius

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #3297 on: November 20, 2012, 07:05:11 AM »

Is anybody here familiar with cleaning up crime scenes?
I'm thinking about getting into that line of work and don't know how to go about it.
I'm going to see my job adviser tomorrow but any advice here would be appreciated.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3298 on: November 20, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
Watch last night's episode of 'Bones'.   ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

otterwoman

« Reply #3299 on: November 20, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »

Is anybody here familiar with cleaning up crime scenes?
I'm thinking about getting into that line of work and don't know how to go about it.
I'm going to see my job adviser tomorrow but any advice here would be appreciated.

Sunshine Cleaning , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Cleaning