Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 725754 times)

Ereine

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3420 on: December 21, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »
I used to live in a town with a pulp mill. Usually it wasn't a problem but when the wind was just right it was quite awful, sort of like boiled cabbages. The locals called it the smell of money.

Nora

« Reply #3421 on: December 21, 2012, 04:54:22 AM »
I was born in a town with a chocolate factory. Mom says it smelt heavenly all around town several times a week. ;)
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #3422 on: December 21, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »
There's a sewage treatment plant a few miles away from our house.  We can't smell it where we live, but we don't have to drive far before we catch wind of it.  I was driving an out-of-town relative somewhere a few years ago, and she accused me of cutting the cheese...

You don't want to drive those roads during August!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #3423 on: December 21, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
There's a sewage treatment plant a few miles away from our house.  We can't smell it where we live, but we don't have to drive far before we catch wind of it.  I was driving an out-of-town relative somewhere a few years ago, and she accused me of cutting the cheese...

You don't want to drive those roads during August!

Do you live in DoWiSeTrePla?  ;D

(A joke from How I Met Your Mother, in which a real estate agent makes "downwind of the sewage treatment plant" sound like a trendy NYC neighborhood.)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #3424 on: December 21, 2012, 07:27:55 AM »
No; upwind, thankfully, or summers would be horrible!  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3425 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »
I used to live in a town with a pulp mill. Usually it wasn't a problem but when the wind was just right it was quite awful, sort of like boiled cabbages. The locals called it the smell of money.

I am originally from Amarillo, Texas which is home to one of the largest beef auctions in the US. When you are north of downtown, the odor of the feed lots (where the cattle are fed larger rations before they get shipped to a processing plant) is called the smell of money.

Octavia

« Reply #3426 on: December 21, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
I grew up in a very rural area in the Midwestern USA where some roads were made of dirt and where farmers fertilized their fields with manure. I'll never forget that smell!
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3427 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
I'm in the middle of a major attack of the gross skin.... I've had these HUGE patches of eczema on my legs since DP went in the hospital (stress triggered!). They are finally starting to heal, thank Heaven, and are shrinking to just a few smaller patches (mostly the outer edges of the original outbreaks). However, they are peeling off big flakes of scabby stuff like I'm shedding snake skin! I am about to go to the doctor about it, because the large open areas are a concern to me about getting a skin infection or cellulitis or something - they aren't dangerous at the moment, or even appearing like they aren't healthy, just peeling off huge flakes of yuk:'( ???

KimberlyM

« Reply #3428 on: December 21, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
I'm in the middle of a major attack of the gross skin.... I've had these HUGE patches of eczema on my legs since DP went in the hospital (stress triggered!). They are finally starting to heal, thank Heaven, and are shrinking to just a few smaller patches (mostly the outer edges of the original outbreaks). However, they are peeling off big flakes of scabby stuff like I'm shedding snake skin! I am about to go to the doctor about it, because the large open areas are a concern to me about getting a skin infection or cellulitis or something - they aren't dangerous at the moment, or even appearing like they aren't healthy, just peeling off huge flakes of yuk:'( ???

It's a mark of how disgusting I am that I'm totally jealous of this and would LOVE to be peeling giant flakes of nasty off! (of course the whole infection risk would take some of the fun out of it!)  I got a sunburn this summer, which never happens because I'm not supposed to be in the sun at all as it causes lupus flares.  Just 20mins on the water burned my to a crisp through 100SPF and a sun-brella.  It did cause some kidney issues but I kept telling people I was looking at the bright side, soon I would be able to peel skin! (I hadn't had skin peeling in 10+ years!).  I get the same sick excitement from large pimples and festering ingrown hairs....I probably need professional help!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3429 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »

It's a mark of how disgusting I am that I'm totally jealous of this and would LOVE to be peeling giant flakes of nasty off! (of course the whole infection risk would take some of the fun out of it!)  I got a sunburn this summer, which never happens because I'm not supposed to be in the sun at all as it causes lupus flares.  Just 20mins on the water burned my to a crisp through 100SPF and a sun-brella.  It did cause some kidney issues but I kept telling people I was looking at the bright side, soon I would be able to peel skin! (I hadn't had skin peeling in 10+ years!).  I get the same sick excitement from large pimples and festering ingrown hairs....I probably need professional help!

Well, I'm an irrepressible picker/peeler myself, and it was fun the first few days, but it HURTS. And itches. And burns. I just wish like, all of it but one tiny patch would heal. LOL

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3430 on: December 21, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »
I live relatively near our city's landfill.  It is almost never a problem but the last couple of years, they've been cleaning out old cells to remove any recyclables and lengthen the lifetime of the site.  If the wind is blowing the right direction, it's a little rank.  But it has absolutely NOTHING on the chicken farm a few miles away.  The wind is almost always carrying the smell my way.  When they are doing their regular cleaning, there is no way I can have windows open.  *gag*
My aunt's husband owns a large agricultural lot.  He used it as a finishing/feed lot for cattle for many years.  The highest part of the feed lot was the part nearest their house and the cattle prefer to be King of the Hill, so they cluster on the high end.  My aunt and her husband claim they could smell the chicken farm that went in a mile away over the smell of the cow manure.  A million chickens smell worse than 400 cows.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #3431 on: December 21, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »
LOL, if anyone is a peeler, you could do what we did in elementary school when we were bored.  We would spread some Elmer's Glue on our forearms and peel it off when it was dry.  A couple kids had a game going where they would try to do it without the teacher noticing.  If one of them got caught, they had to give the other one something from their lunchbox.  ;D  Did I mention these were 9-year-olds?  Sorry, I just think it's funny.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3432 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
LOL, if anyone is a peeler, you could do what we did in elementary school when we were bored.  We would spread some Elmer's Glue on our forearms and peel it off when it was dry.  A couple kids had a game going where they would try to do it without the teacher noticing.  If one of them got caught, they had to give the other one something from their lunchbox.  ;D  Did I mention these were 9-year-olds?  Sorry, I just think it's funny.

Im way beyond 9, but I love it when I have to use Elmers Glue for something.  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3433 on: December 21, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
Anyone else getting banner ads for Metamucil and "coughing vomit" in this thread?  :P
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KimberlyM

« Reply #3434 on: December 21, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Getting an ad for "Activated Sludge Process" I have no idea what that is, but it sounds yucky!