Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 750230 times)

perpetua

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3825 on: May 01, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Not half as gross as most of this thread, but one of my cats has a UTI.

I've spent the last two days cleaning up cat pee from the kitchen floor. At least he's going on the tiled floor rather than the carpet in the hall next to it, which I suppose is a blessing.

Then this morning he peed on the hoover, which I'd foolishly left in the vicinity. So I cleaned that up.

And then he peed on the mop. Now what do I do?!

I hope his antibiotics take effect tomorrow...

magicdomino

« Reply #3826 on: May 01, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »

I've spent the last two days cleaning up cat pee from the kitchen floor. At least he's going on the tiled floor rather than the carpet in the hall next to it, which I suppose is a blessing.

Then this morning he peed on the hoover, which I'd foolishly left in the vicinity. So I cleaned that up.

Soak the mop in Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner.   After soaking, wash the mop in its very own bucket of hot soapy water.  Dump water, fill bucket and wash again.  Rinse mop, and it should be ready to go.

Domino hates my dust mop.   ::)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3827 on: May 01, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
I think that was the best thing you could have done.  And admirably gross! You don't have to white out stuff in this thread though, if you're here you're expecting that kind of thing.. :)

Apparently some snake owners are told to put live mice in a sock and swing it onto a hard surface in order to kill the mouse for their snake.  I just buy frozen mice, or did when I had a snake.

When I had a snake, it wouldn't touch anything that couldn't try to escape.

Same here. This was expensive, since a guinea pig was meal-sized for my snake.
Guinea pigs are never feeder-animal priced. They're always pet-animal priced.

Luckily, mine was just a little garter snake.  They look SO COOL swallowing goldfish whole while the thing wriggles.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3828 on: May 01, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
A rat caught in a weak snap trap is not a dead rat; it is an upset rat with a very heavy necklace.

You are an excellent writer. Thank you!

Heh, thanks.  ;D

I think that was the best thing you could have done.  And admirably gross! You don't have to white out stuff in this thread though, if you're here you're expecting that kind of thing.. :)

Ohhhh, it was gross all right, especially since I then had to check to make sure the poor thing was really dead...  :-[

I know I technically don't need to hide the ickies here, but I have seen posts where people mention they read this from the 'unread posts' page and aren't prepared, so I figured better safe than sorry.  :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3829 on: May 01, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »

Buy puppy pads and put the litter box in the middle.

Bootsie is 19 years old and arthritic.  It's hard for her to squat, so she goes in the litter box, then stands there while she pees outside the box.  Cat urine gets into the grout of my tile floor.  I knew that I had to find another solution because the litter box is in our entry hall and the urine smell would never come out of the grout.  That's when I thought of putting something around the litter box.  We've been using this system for over 2 years.  I didn't want to put Bootsie down just because she can't squat anymore.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3830 on: May 01, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
To Mel the Redcap:

Welcome to the forum! You write well.  You're funny.  I love your names for the characters in your stories. I'm surprised that I haven't read any of your posts before, but don't be surprised if I stalk you for awhile.  I just want to read more of your writing. :-*

MK
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

perpetua

« Reply #3831 on: May 02, 2013, 03:49:23 AM »

Buy puppy pads and put the litter box in the middle.

Bootsie is 19 years old and arthritic.  It's hard for her to squat, so she goes in the litter box, then stands there while she pees outside the box.  Cat urine gets into the grout of my tile floor.  I knew that I had to find another solution because the litter box is in our entry hall and the urine smell would never come out of the grout.  That's when I thought of putting something around the litter box.  We've been using this system for over 2 years.  I didn't want to put Bootsie down just because she can't squat anymore.

Awww, bless her.

Thankfully his antibiotics seem to be kicking in - there were no little puddles in the kitchen this morning.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3832 on: May 02, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »
To Mel the Redcap:

Welcome to the forum! You write well.  You're funny.  I love your names for the characters in your stories. I'm surprised that I haven't read any of your posts before, but don't be surprised if I stalk you for awhile.  I just want to read more of your writing. :-*

MK

Eeehee, thanks! :-*

I was active on the forum about two years ago and then dropped off for various reasons, but I'm back now... and threads like this one are guaranteed to keep me around!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Reader

« Reply #3833 on: May 02, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
Got out of the shower this morning to find not one, but 3 piles of dog excrement on my floors. The entire first floor smelled of it :o Seems my roomate fell asleep watching netflick in the basement and must have missed taking his puppy out for a last time last night.  We have been having potty training issues, and since he doesn't seem to be to eager to run after his dog when it goes out of his sight (resulting in accidents) I had to ask him to keep his dog on leash inside.  So I got to go down and wake him up to clean it up.  Seems not only did Weezer (puppy) get away from him while he was sleeping to do this, he also managed to slip his leash somehow.  I'll also be enlisting my roomie to help move furniture, and mop all the floors.  (Roomie asked me to feed his dog yesterday inbetween my 2 jobs because he got called in for overtime so I had permission to enter his room to release Weezer from his pen.  I found dried pee on roomie's floor that hadn't been cleaned up yet  :( and when I asked roomie about it he didn't even know it was there!)  So it makes me wonder what other messes Weezer has done that roomie might have missed on the first level.  Hence the hug mopping planned for this weekend  >:(

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3834 on: May 02, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
Dear Reader,

You might check with your local pet supply for cleaners that get the urine scent out completely.  If you mop, even with pine cleaner or bleach, the dog can still smell the last *deposit* and will be encouraged to use that spot for the same purpose in the future.

I hope you know that it never does any good to rub a puppy's nose into the urine spot where he peed hours before.  Their little minds don't make the connection between the punishment and the "crime."  They will, instead, associate the punishment with the person who punished them and start avoiding that person when they come home.

On the other hand, you might try rubbing your roommate's nose in the dried puppy pee.  Human minds can make this connection and maybe he'll be more willing to take his dog out frequently. >:D

Marcus Aurelius

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #3835 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Dear Reader,
*snip*
On the other hand, you might try rubbing your roommate's nose in the dried puppy pee.  Human minds can make this connection and maybe he'll be more willing to take his dog out frequently. >:D

;D ;D

And I vote for crate-training the puppy and making roomie pay for damages.  The dog is his responsibility. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3836 on: May 02, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
Evil LK votes for crate-training the roommate.  >:D

JoW

« Reply #3837 on: May 02, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
A couple of hints here, to help reduce the cat gross

1)  For cat who pees outside the box, try putting a shower curtain or large plastic drop cloth under the cat box. It will keep the pee from soaking into the flooring.  I used that when my senior cat went blind.

2)  To interrupt a recurring UTI in a cat, bleach the box.  Put out a spare box with all new litter.  Empty the older box, scrap out the stuff stuck to the bottom, then fill it with water and about 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach.  Let it soak for several hours or overnight.  Dump the bleach water, rinse, then let the box air dry, ideally in full sun.  Do that every day or two while the cat is getting an antibiotic.  That's how I interrupted a recurring UTI in a cat. 

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3838 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
Apparently I am supposed to defend my husband from vultures. I am also apparently very bad at doing so.

Yesterday my Mom called me to say there was a very, very dead something in her yard. She has 3.5 acres, and is in the middle of the country, so dead somethings could be anything from a rabbit to a groundhog to a bobcat to a deer. Disposal of dead somethings usually involves burying them in the woods that fringe her property.

By the time we got there, vultures had descended. 12 of them. HUGE vultures, who did not approve of us coming to take their snack. Still no clue what the dead something was, because they'd been at it for a good 30 minutes and 12 vultures can make short work of things in that time. I think perhaps it had been a groundhog. Whatever it was, it smelled like..well..a dead something that had been in the hot sun for a day, and had been partially eaten by vultures.  The vultures retreated to the trees, where they stared down balefully at my husband, who told me to "guard him against the vultures". Which I scoffed at, because why would vultures want to eat my living, breathing, very large husband? He was also armed with a mattock for digging the hole to dispose of the dead something, while I had..nothing. I wandered away a short distance, and he said "WHERE ARE YOU GOING? Don't you see all the VULTURES in the TREES?? They're going to PECK me! Haven't you seen The Birds before??"

I pointed out that the Birds had seagulls, not vultures. That seemed to make no difference in his opinion that they were going to seek revenge on him for taking their evening snack.

He did eventually get the dead something buried, unmolested by vultures. He did however tell me I did a terrible job at defending him. Sigh. I guess I'll never be able to put "Vulture Slayer, Defender of Husbands" on my resume.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3839 on: May 03, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
A couple of hints here, to help reduce the cat gross

2)  To interrupt a recurring UTI in a cat, bleach the box.  Put out a spare box with all new litter.  Empty the older box, scrap out the stuff stuck to the bottom, then fill it with water and about 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach.  Let it soak for several hours or overnight.  Dump the bleach water, rinse, then let the box air dry, ideally in full sun.  Do that every day or two while the cat is getting an antibiotic.  That's how I interrupted a recurring UTI in a cat.

Be careful doing this, mixing bleach and amonia aka urine, can result in cyanide gas, which is deadly in worst case scenerio, but will most definately cause some lung and nasal irritation. I know from experience.