Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 698407 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3840 on: May 03, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
A couple of hints here, to help reduce the cat gross

2)  To interrupt a recurring UTI in a cat, bleach the box.  Put out a spare box with all new litter.  Empty the older box, scrap out the stuff stuck to the bottom, then fill it with water and about 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach.  Let it soak for several hours or overnight.  Dump the bleach water, rinse, then let the box air dry, ideally in full sun.  Do that every day or two while the cat is getting an antibiotic.  That's how I interrupted a recurring UTI in a cat.

Be careful doing this, mixing bleach and amonia aka urine, can result in cyanide gas, which is deadly in worst case scenerio, but will most definately cause some lung and nasal irritation. I know from experience.

Sorry - that would be chlorine gas, not cyanide.  While chlorine gas can kill you, it isn't quite as deadly as cyanide gas would be.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3841 on: May 03, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

2)  To interrupt a recurring UTI in a cat, bleach the box.  Put out a spare box with all new litter.  Empty the older box, scrap out the stuff stuck to the bottom, then fill it with water and about 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach.  Let it soak for several hours or overnight.  Dump the bleach water, rinse, then let the box air dry, ideally in full sun.  Do that every day or two while the cat is getting an antibiotic.  That's how I interrupted a recurring UTI in a cat.

Be careful doing this, mixing bleach and amonia aka urine, can result in cyanide gas, which is deadly in worst case scenerio, but will most definately cause some lung and nasal irritation. I know from experience.

Sorry - that would be chlorine gas, not cyanide.  While chlorine gas can kill you, it isn't quite as deadly as cyanide gas would be.   :)

isn't it also known as mustard gas?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3842 on: May 03, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
I think so.  Pure chlorine gas will have a yellowy/green tinge to it.  But I don't think you could get it that concentrated in the home.  It is still pretty nasty to the lungs, though.  It is heavier than air so the best thing to do is stand up and get your head into fresh air.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JoW

« Reply #3843 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
If you dump out all the litter then scrape off most of the litter that stuck to the bottom of the box there should be almost no urine left.  I've done this several times to break the reinfection cycle.  Before I discovered this trick one cat was treated for UTIs 3 times in 5 weeks.  I started disinfecting the box during the 3rd infection and there wasn't a 4th one. 

I soak the box in the back yard in decent weather, in a rarely-used bathtub in the winter.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3844 on: May 04, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
The last time we visited SIL, it was a pleasant evening in late summer.  Dinner had been delicious.  The dishes were done.  The little children had been put to bed and the adults were enjoying a polite discussion abount current events .   The lights were dimmed and a bottle or two of inexpensive but nice wine on the table. 

All of a sudden, there was an invasion.  It was the bats! 

We were assured that there was no danger.  'All old houses around here have bats.  They're part of the entertainment'.

All old houses may have bats in the attic but do they have bats flying around the dining room? 

I like bats when I see them in the wild.  I'm not wild about bats when I see them inside the house. 
I'm certainly not pleased to see them flying around in a house where young children are sleeping. 

This is why we do not visit SIL unless we stay at a hotel. 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3845 on: May 04, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
I've finally finished reading this thread, and have thoroughly enjoyed it - especially Vorbau - what a fascinating job! 

I am not easily grossed out - I was a nurse, and spent 3 years training, one year ward nursing (infectious ward) and 20 years in operating room.  My gross meter is set very high.  But just imagining the olfactory input from some of these posts is challenging!

Now, one for the bug haters.

When I was in my very early 20's I moved to Brisbane, in Queensland - semi-tropical climate.  It wasn't a big move for me, only 3 hours north of where I grew up, but some things apparently are different.

Anyway, ex and I rented a top floor flat in a two storey block.  It was hot, humid and unpleasant one night, so we left the large sliding door onto the balcony open to get some air in - we had no aircon or fans and it was very hot. 

Eventually we got to sleep, and I was woken up some time in the wee small hours with tickling, itchy sensations.  I woke, and turned on a light.  The bed, ex and I were covered with giant flying cockroaches.  A swarm had come through the door and invaded the bedroom.  Now, I was not unfamiliar with large cockroaches, but I'd never seen them fly, and certainly not in swarms.  Eeek!  We spent the rest of the night with rolled up newspapers and bug spray hunting down and killing the little beggars, then changed the sheets and showered.  I could still feel them crawling over me.  Ugh.

We never left the door open again after that.  And I don't think I got another wink of sleep that night.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3846 on: May 04, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »

I was wrong on the gas, but not the toxicity. I worked in a photo lab, and we were not allowed to have and cleaners with bleach because of the ammonia in the chemical waste.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm

Mixing bleach and ammonia is extremely dangerous, since toxic vapors will be produced.
 The primary toxic chemical formed by the reaction is chloramine vapor, with a potential for hydrazine formation. Here's a look at the chemical reactions involved in mixing bleach and ammonia, as well as some first aid advice if you accidentally become exposed to a bleach and ammonia mixture.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3847 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
I've finally finished reading this thread, and have thoroughly enjoyed it - especially Vorbau - what a fascinating job! 

I am not easily grossed out - I was a nurse, and spent 3 years training, one year ward nursing (infectious ward) and 20 years in operating room.  My gross meter is set very high.  But just imagining the olfactory input from some of these posts is challenging!

Now, one for the bug haters.

When I was in my very early 20's I moved to Brisbane, in Queensland - semi-tropical climate.  It wasn't a big move for me, only 3 hours north of where I grew up, but some things apparently are different.

Anyway, ex and I rented a top floor flat in a two storey block.  It was hot, humid and unpleasant one night, so we left the large sliding door onto the balcony open to get some air in - we had no aircon or fans and it was very hot. 

Eventually we got to sleep, and I was woken up some time in the wee small hours with tickling, itchy sensations.  I woke, and turned on a light.  The bed, ex and I were covered with giant flying cockroaches.  A swarm had come through the door and invaded the bedroom.  Now, I was not unfamiliar with large cockroaches, but I'd never seen them fly, and certainly not in swarms.  Eeek!  We spent the rest of the night with rolled up newspapers and bug spray hunting down and killing the little beggars, then changed the sheets and showered.  I could still feel them crawling over me.  Ugh.

We never left the door open again after that.  And I don't think I got another wink of sleep that night.

Window screens are a necessity anywhere there are bugs.  And I think that only Antarctica is free of the blighters.....maybe anywhere really close to the polar regions......but, personally, I'd rather be safe than have bugs in the bedroom......which is why I taught myself to repair screens and replace the screening.....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3848 on: May 04, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
Bats and flying cockroaches, or why I have screens on my windows!

greencat

« Reply #3849 on: May 05, 2013, 12:46:43 AM »
I tend to end up with extra cats when I leave my windows open if they don't have screens on them (in rooms my cats can't get into.)

I got a new tattoo (covering some old ones) and it's a lot more intense than the old ones - lots of solid areas of color rather than the small areas of black like the old ones.  It's been just...wet...all the time.  It's an extremely gross feeling, although at least it is color-less and odor-less, and the tattoo is definitely not infected.  I just hope that it stops doing that before I go into my tech support job on Monday where I wear slacks...

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #3850 on: May 06, 2013, 12:36:17 AM »
Re: ammonia in cat boxes mixed with bleach:

Before you do the bleach treatment, give the box a thorough rinse with vinegar, which will neutralise the ammonia.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

greencat

« Reply #3851 on: May 06, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »
Actually, if you have a cat getting UTI's, it's probably a good idea to replace the litter box entirely.  Use a few of the disposable biodegradable type for the recovery period and then start with a brand new box.  They actually make special litter now that basically turns the litter box into a giant litmus test - it changes color when the cat's urine output deviates from the normal pH.  There are multiple brands and types available.

One of my cats used to have irritable bowel syndrome - she actually got diagnosed with it by a veterinarian.  It made her have diarrhea everywhere, all the time - horrifically stinky diarrhea.  Everywhere she went she left a little.    It was actually killing her - she dropped down to weighing less than 4 pounds.  I decided to let her spend some time outside on my porch, because she really really wanted to, and I felt sad for her, and she caught a rat and ate it (I detailed that story somewhere upthread.)  Her IBS completely reversed - she is now a happy 11 pound kitty without tummy troubles.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3852 on: May 06, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »
I tend to end up with extra cats when I leave my windows open if they don't have screens on them (in rooms my cats can't get into.)

I got a new tattoo (covering some old ones) and it's a lot more intense than the old ones - lots of solid areas of color rather than the small areas of black like the old ones.  It's been just...wet...all the time.  It's an extremely gross feeling, although at least it is color-less and odor-less, and the tattoo is definitely not infected.  I just hope that it stops doing that before I go into my tech support job on Monday where I wear slacks...

How old is the new tattoo?  I've found it can take a week or so for them to stay dry, and with the one I'm getting done now (big, 4 sessions and 18.5 hours so far) I'm still needing to apply cream twice a day up to two weeks later.

I know they don't recommend covering them, but if it's still wet by time you go to work, I'd suggest putting on some non-stick dressing like Melolin, just to keep your clothes dry.

Good luck!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3853 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
Actually, if you have a cat getting UTI's, it's probably a good idea to replace the litter box entirely.  Use a few of the disposable biodegradable type for the recovery period and then start with a brand new box.  They actually make special litter now that basically turns the litter box into a giant litmus test - it changes color when the cat's urine output deviates from the normal pH.  There are multiple brands and types available.

One of my cats used to have irritable bowel syndrome - she actually got diagnosed with it by a veterinarian.  It made her have diarrhea everywhere, all the time - horrifically stinky diarrhea.  Everywhere she went she left a little.    It was actually killing her - she dropped down to weighing less than 4 pounds.  I decided to let her spend some time outside on my porch, because she really really wanted to, and I felt sad for her, and she caught a rat and ate it (I detailed that story somewhere upthread.)  Her IBS completely reversed - she is now a happy 11 pound kitty without tummy troubles.

I guess she needed certain intestinal flora & fauna replaced - and I bet yogurt would not have had the correct ones for a cat......lucky kitty!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3854 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
OK, back to the bleach and ammonia:

From http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm:

The bleach decomposes to form hydrochloric acid, which reacts with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes:
First the hydrochloric acid is formed:

NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl

HOCl → HCl + O

And then the ammonia and chlorine gas react to form chloramine, which is released as a vapor:

NaOCl + 2HCl → Cl2 + NaCl + H2O

2NH3 + Cl2 → 2NH2Cl

If ammonia is present in excess (which it may or may not be, depending on your mixture), toxic and potentially explosive liquid hydrazine may be formed. While impure hydrazine tends not to explode, it's still toxic, plus it can boil and spray hot toxic liquid.

So, you technically get HCl and NH2Cl (chloramine). Chlorine gas itself is produced, but appears to be used up in reaction with the ammonia. Oh, and you can get liquid hydrazine, AKA rocket fuel.

Lovely reaction path, it is.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."