Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 769133 times)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #3945 on: June 04, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
My mother used to tell me about sailing on the Potomac (the river by Washington, DC) and seeing pieces of solid excrement floating along.  :o That would have been in the late 1930s or '40s. It was still pretty stinky when I was a kid, but there were no "floaters." (...and, by that word, I don't mean what Vorbau would mean . I've never seen one of those, thank God.)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

exitzero

« Reply #3946 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
Syringes in a park?  Pfft.  I've seen them on the sidewalk, in front of my house.

I saw one in our Mayor's parking spot. Twice.

Carotte

« Reply #3947 on: June 05, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
Am I the only one who sometimes feel like forgoing a shower or two? (and actually do it I mean..).
That's maybe once a year, when I know I won't be going out at all for a few days, and will not see anyone at all either.
I do the 'minimum required' with a washcloth, but I don't mind my BO or dirty hair...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3948 on: June 05, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
Am I the only one who sometimes feel like forgoing a shower or two? (and actually do it I mean..).
That's maybe once a year, when I know I won't be going out at all for a few days, and will not see anyone at all either.
I do the 'minimum required' with a washcloth, but I don't mind my BO or dirty hair...

I purposely skip showering at least one day a week, to give my skin and hair a break, as well as my pocketbook, since I have to pay the city for water.  It's probably only a few cents but every little bit...

If I'm working M-F, I'll skip the shower on Saturday or Sunday.  If I'm on vacation or there is a Stat. holiday, I'll shower every other day.  Unless, of course, I'm doing something to get really dirty or sweaty.  So if Monday is a Stat., I'll shower Friday before work, skip Saturday, shower Sunday, skip Monday and shower before work on Tuesday.  This is all predicated on the fact that I'm just bumming around home, too.  If I was going out to dinner on Saturday, I'd shower.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3949 on: June 05, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
I only shower every other day unless I do something strenuous (that causes lots of sweating) or swim (just a quick rinse off shower). I wash my hair when I shower and I have noticed that my skin stays healthier since I started doing that.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3950 on: June 05, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »
I only shower every other day unless I do something strenuous .... I wash my hair when I shower and I have noticed that my skin stays healthier since I started doing that.

I shower only every 2nd or 3rd day. I have psoriasis and daily showering makes my skin very itchy & tight.  I use a handheld showerhead to wash individual parts as necessary in between.

The Sweetie monitors my social acceptability.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

cwm

« Reply #3951 on: June 05, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »

I've been known to take standing baths, as in I get the washcloth wet at the sink and stand in my bathroom to wash the necessary bits.

I also learned a great phrase from my mom, who heard it from her grandma. Apparently G-Gma was ahead of her time in phrasing, but when mom was young, she'd tell her to take a PTA shower. Short for...um, private bits, ta-tas and armpits. Except, different words for P and T.

I only shower every other day, and only wash my hair every other shower, otherwise it doesn't even get wet. In the summer I'll do a few standing baths if I need to, but for the most part it's saving money for me to not do it daily.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3952 on: June 05, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
My grandmother called it the PTA bath as well.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3953 on: June 05, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
I've heard it called 'Pits and Bits'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3954 on: June 05, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
Thanks to my psoriasis and my other skin conditions, I can't shower more than twice a week without it causing me pain, so I skip two or three days most of the time. At certain times of the month, I'll chance three showers a week. I do wash the necessary bits every night I don't shower, and am meticulous about changing clothes, so as far as I've ever known or been told, I'm socially acceptable.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3955 on: June 05, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
I made the change over the last year.  I switched to sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner because my hair was getting frizzy and unmanageable from regular shampoo.  I noticed my hair was much more manageable on day 2 than it was right after a shampoo, so I switched to showers every other day unless I did something to get sweaty.  Once the sweat saturates my hair, I'm taking a shower and washing my hair regardless of whether I took one that morning or the day before.  The sweat makes my hair stiff and sticky.

My mother taught me how to take "spit baths" when we were backpacking in the High Sierras (California).  I can take a spit bath with a quart of water.  Sometimes, when I finish riding Misty (my 8 y.o. mare) late or it looks like rain, I'll give her a "spit bath."  She's small so it only takes a gallon of water.  I can finish in less than 10 minutes, including drying her off with a hand towel.

Of course, I need a shower after bathing the horse.  A "horse bath" is the process by which the dirt on the horse is transferred to the person washing it. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #3956 on: June 05, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
My grandmother called it the PTA bath as well.

Acording to my saintly great-auntie who wouldn't say s**t if she had a mouthful its called a "whor3 bath"

She told me to take one everyday and shower only on the 3rd day to control my dry skin.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

greencat

« Reply #3957 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
I usually shower every day, but I don't wash my hair daily.  My hair does not like being washed daily, not at all.

I have an non-shower-related gross!

Last night, I was falling asleep, and as people sometimes do, I experienced that random full-body "twitch" - which, in this case, meant that my legs basically kicked.  The resulting excruciating pain and loud popping noise my ankle made rendered me quickly awake.  After the pain subsided, I found that I was able to move my foot up, down, and inward without much pain or stiffness (initially, anyway) but that it was completely non-responsive to my orders to move itself outward.  I also have pain in my shin.  I don't normally feel queasy about medical stuff, but I felt pretty sick after I checked and realized that all those things are symptomatic of having a tendon detach.  I am going to be in a support brace for a long time.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3958 on: June 06, 2013, 06:57:42 AM »

Unless I work out or am going out during in public the weekend,  I'll take a shower Friday night after the gym and not another one until Monday morning.  Lots of people do that...most I know do it because of really dry skin or scalps.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Ereine

« Reply #3959 on: June 06, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »

(Giant version here)

Bird-cherry Ermine caterpillars on a bicycle (luckily not mine). They cover whole trees in web, which is pretty gross in itself and apparently aren't too picky.