Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 699017 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4005 on: July 01, 2013, 01:39:59 AM »
So is "Maggots in the Water"...even if they were moth pupa or larva instead of fly pupa and larva.

Maaagottts in the Waaater, Flies in the Sky.
Maaagotts in the Waaater
By Deep Poople.

Augh! ;D ;D ;D *lol* I've never even heard that song and I recognized it!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

cwm

« Reply #4006 on: July 01, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
I second Mel on the good quality pet food but for a gross reason.

Better food = smaller, less stinky poop.

I have five pooches living with me at the moment. Less poop to clean up is at the top of my wish list, along with less fur collecting in the corners of my home.

I'm going to lose the poop/fur battle but I won't surrender today!

Where I used to work (grooming salon attached to major pet supply store) we were taught an acronym for the high quality foods.

B - better nutrition
E - animal eats less
S - stool reduced
T - tailored to pet's needs

So yeah, it costs more, but it lasts longer because they eat less, the poo is less yucky and there's less of it because the food is more absorbed, and if your animal has specific dietary needs, it's easier to find something in the high-end brands.

I need to re-read this whole thread again for ideas for my next Rock Band band name...

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4007 on: July 01, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
Liliane, if it makes you feel any better, I think those 'maggots' were actually Pantry Moth larvae: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianmeal_Moth

You know, I think you're right. I seem to recall them looking like that. No moths though - so I definitely eradicated them. >:D

I'm not usually scared of things like that, but the realization that my cats had been eating buggy food freaked me out!

Try finding that your bag of rice has been infested by those things. Except, you don't find out until after they have hatched, matured, and are flying around..leading you to realize that you have probably been munching bugs along with your side dish of pilaf.

Last time we bought rice in that burlap sack stuff.

KimberlyM

« Reply #4008 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
We have a long haired cat named Nacho.  All day Saturday he was acting strange, darting around the house, panting and acting just generally weird.  So Sunday morning when I got up he darted through my legs and disappeared down the hall.  I nearly tripped over him.  Husband then tells me in addition to the darting and weirdness he had been dragging his butt all over the house all night but wouldn't stay still long enough for DH to figure out what was going on.  I hear butt dragging and think oh no, he must have worms...so I head to the litter box for confirmation and see nothing.

Eventually I managed to catch him and despite tons of squirming and hissing I discovered he had eaten "something" stringy and therefore had a piece of poo hanging out of him attached to some stringy something or other.  I managed to pull the visible piece loose (ewwwwww!) and then went back for the string and he flipped out and started growling at me.  So I ultimately decided he was on his own with that.

The really gross part was realizing he'd been dragging his butt all over my furniture for 24 hours attempting to dislodge a poo!  I lysoled everything I could imagine he might have come in contact with, but I'm still grossed out!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4009 on: July 01, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
We have a long haired cat named Nacho.  All day Saturday he was acting strange, darting around the house, panting and acting just generally weird.  So Sunday morning when I got up he darted through my legs and disappeared down the hall.  I nearly tripped over him.  Husband then tells me in addition to the darting and weirdness he had been dragging his butt all over the house all night but wouldn't stay still long enough for DH to figure out what was going on.  I hear butt dragging and think oh no, he must have worms...so I head to the litter box for confirmation and see nothing.

Eventually I managed to catch him and despite tons of squirming and hissing I discovered he had eaten "something" stringy and therefore had a piece of poo hanging out of him attached to some stringy something or other.  I managed to pull the visible piece loose (ewwwwww!) and then went back for the string and he flipped out and started growling at me.  So I ultimately decided he was on his own with that.

The really gross part was realizing he'd been dragging his butt all over my furniture for 24 hours attempting to dislodge a poo!  I lysoled everything I could imagine he might have come in contact with, but I'm still grossed out!
You might want to get him in to the vet, stringy things cn gunk up the insides of an animal pretty bad.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4010 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

Can you burrito-roll him in a towel and then try to pull it out?

Funnily enough, I'm having a bit of a poo issue myself - normally it's Branwen (my older cat, tortoiseshell longhair) who gets the, um, caked behind, but this time Rika's the one getting all mucked up. I really hate having to chase her down with a brush and scissors because she's got poo all down her backside and ON HER FEET.

At least I know why she pawed me awake this morning. That couldn't have been comfortable.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

KimberlyM

« Reply #4011 on: July 01, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
I checked him out again before I left for work this morning (coffee: check, shower: check, inspect the cat's butt: check hahaha).  The problem resolved itself with him next litter box visit.

He's going on 11 years old now and has yet to find anything he doesn't think would be fun to eat!  We can't even leave bread on the counter because he chews up the bags.  He's in love with those foam flip flops too, though he doesn't consume them, he just chews them and leaves little tooth marks all over them (luckily I buy them at Old Navy on $1 flip flop day!).  On the up-side, he catches and eats nearly all the spiders and flies that get into our house.  When we got pantry moths a few years ago (also from pet food, like the recent poster) he spent all his awake time jumping up walls trying to catch them. (FYI, I now put all cat food into a air-tight plastic rubbermaid type container in the garage.  It took almost a year to completely rid our house of those little buggers.  The larvae can get into anything!  Sealed bags even! still makes me shiver!)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4012 on: July 01, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
I had some skin growths removed three weeks ago, it felt terrible, and recovery was not fun. Biopsies came back clear.

Today, I had 10 more growths removed, all under my eyes. It was terrible, I feel awful and I look like I have a strange condition. Ended my desire to have dinner out with DH tonight.  :(

Oh, and if you don't have to have needles near your eyes, I don't recommend it!

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #4013 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
I do recall that when I briefly fed my dog an all-raw-meat diet he pooped not so much less, as more biodegradable.  Instead of sticking around forever like dog poo tends to do, it would either turn to powder if it was dry out or completely dissolve in the rain after a few days if it did rain.  It was great!  It unfortunately did not help his skin issues at all, but that is another gross story - my dog has horrible dandruff, all the time.  I've spent probably close to $1000 between all the special shampoos and the vet bills and medications trying to fix it.  As it is, he leaves greasy brown smears where he rubs up against things and covers my house in a not-so-fine layer of shed skin particles in very short order.

Off Topic, but have you tried plain old fish oil tablets? It really helps my dogs aggravated skin.

KimberlyM

« Reply #4014 on: July 01, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
I had some skin growths removed three weeks ago, it felt terrible, and recovery was not fun. Biopsies came back clear.

Today, I had 10 more growths removed, all under my eyes. It was terrible, I feel awful and I look like I have a strange condition. Ended my desire to have dinner out with DH tonight.  :(

I had one on my arm a few years ago that got infected...it was really painful, but also way cool as it squirted some really nasty stuff every time I squeezed it (which might be why it scarred so bad!).

I once had a blocked tear duct cleared, they use a needle for that, it was horrible...I feel for you!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4015 on: July 01, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »

I had one on my arm a few years ago that got infected...it was really painful, but also way cool as it squirted some really nasty stuff every time I squeezed it (which might be why it scarred so bad!).

I once had a blocked tear duct cleared, they use a needle for that, it was horrible...I feel for you!

I had a small cyst right at the inner corner of my eye when I was a kid (I think I was about 7 or so) that had to be removed. No fun indeed. The doctor commented on how remarkably calm I was..I was actually scared stiff and didn't move a muscle through the procedure because I was petrified.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4016 on: July 01, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »
I did much better the first procedure, with the eyelid and eyebrow growths. This time, the nurse had to hold my face to keep me from moving. Thank God I like her!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4017 on: July 02, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
My sister had styes in her eyelids back in middle school (Maternal grandmother's twin brother lost his eyelashes to a series of similar infections at about the same age).

My mother drained Lil Sis's with a sterile hypodermic needle - she still has her eyelashes forty years later.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4018 on: July 02, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
I went to work, but left early. I keep forgetting not to touch my eyes.   ::)

cwm

« Reply #4019 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
I have a weird thing right in the corner of my eye. It looks like it might be a scar from something, but I'll be darned if I know what.

So one day a few weeks ago it was white and hard and painful to the touch. I let it go as long as I could and was about to call the doctor because it was behaving very similarly to a wart I had to have removed from my forehead.

Sis and mom and Sproglet and I were all out shoe shopping one day. I was holding the kid and keeping her entertained by a mirror. She reached out to pat my face and accidentally hit the corner of my eye. Yup. Right on that little hard white thing. Which then popped out of the pore it was in. Not sure what exactly it was, some sort of pimple or something, but it was SOLID, and was fully under the skin. The skin had to wear away and break before it came out. And then there was some ooze coming out for a bit. It was weird, my eye felt like it was watering, but that wasn't tears...

The next day I had to pull a single hair and glob of white goo out of the massively oversized pore with tweezers. The hair may have been what started it all. I don't know. But it's all over now.