Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 767480 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4095 on: July 25, 2013, 03:49:39 AM »
I have sinus issues too. Some kind of chronic rhino-sinusitis, I think. I saw an ENT consultant this week and he started me on a new steroid nasal spray. Oh my. The sheer amount of snot since... I didn't think it was possible for one person to harbour so much snot.
The Ancient Eyptians thought that snot production was the brain's sole purpose.*  Perhaps such epic production is why.

*Which is why the brain was disposed of during mummification, while the important organs like the heart and liver were preserved. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Gyburc

« Reply #4096 on: July 25, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
I had a pretty epic gross-out today.  I realized that at some point, I dropped what I think was a towel on the way in and out of the house while doing laundry, and it fell behind where the porch door usually opens, so I hadn't noticed it in what must have been quite some time.  It definitely appeared to have gotten wet - not surprising, rain blows in the porch, and judging by the smell, I think something (dog? cat? both) must have peed on it. 

Due to the condition, I decided I was going to just throw the towel away, and I chose to clean it up by sliding my big industrial-sized metal dust pan under it and just lifting up.  I am so glad I did not try to pick it up with my hands!  You see, what I apparently had was no longer a towel, but a meal-worm farm.  It disintegrated as I tried to shove the dust pan underneath it.  It was just a mass of squirming inch-long maggoty things  :o

I would've put the whole mass out for the birds!

I was going to post this anyway, but it fits right in...

We've been having some lovely hot weather here in the UK (for a change). As a result, our kitchen bin has tended to get smelly rather faster than usual. We didn't realise there was a problem until DH changed the bin and then noticed that it still stank horribly.

Our bin is one of the ones that sits inside one of the kitchen cupboards and is attached to the pull-out door. Over the bin is a metal shelf. At some point over the past few weeks, the plastic wrapper for some smoked mackerel had somehow got wedged on top of the shelf, rather than going into the bin. In the interim, it had turned into a maggot breeding ground. When DH took the bin out, there were dozens of the things all over shelf, all over the bottom of the bin, all over the bottom of the cupboard, and spilling out onto the kitchen floor.

Ick, ick, ick. We got a dustpan and brush and DH nobly swept all the little horrors up and started cleaning everything. I then took the dustpan out into the garden and emptied it on the ground in front of our ducks. Ducks like maggots. Ducks really like maggots. Ducks now keep following me round the garden eyeing my feet in the hope that they will suddenly spawn more maggotty goodness for them to hoover up. (To my relief, this has not yet happened.)

Ducks are revolting, really. Almost as bad as maggots.  ;D

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4097 on: July 25, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
Ducks like maggots. Ducks really like maggots. Ducks now keep following me round the garden eyeing my feet in the hope that they will suddenly spawn more maggotty goodness for them to hoover up. (To my relief, this has not yet happened.)

Ducks are revolting, really. Almost as bad as maggots.  ;D
I didn't know that.  Reading etiquette hell is educational.

Cats like to catch cockroaches, but I don't think they eat them.  They just bite legs off to see how the cockroach can scurry with 3 legs.  Our recently rescued dog, Honey Girl, can catch flies on the wing.  A very useful trick.  We take her up with us to the ranch where we keep our little red mare.  Usually a couple of flies end up in the car and they won't fly out an open window.  Honey Girl is a 13 pound Terrier/Dachshund mix with very, very, amazingly fast reflexes.

I don't know if either of them like to eat maggots and I hope I never need to know. ;)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

greencat

« Reply #4098 on: July 25, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
Weirdly, it doesn't bother me a bit when there are maggots in the trash can.  I just go "eh, maggots again." and put the trash can outside so it gets rained in.  The ?mealworms? were pretty reminiscent of a horror movie scene though, plus the smell was gag inducing (as previously mentioned, pretty sure there was animal effluvia involved at some point in the not-all-that-recent past.)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4099 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
Ducks like maggots. Ducks really like maggots. Ducks now keep following me round the garden eyeing my feet in the hope that they will suddenly spawn more maggotty goodness for them to hoover up.

I laughed so hard I farted.  ;D

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4100 on: July 26, 2013, 06:28:36 AM »
I was recently diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and am currently on an exclusion diet to try to nail down exactly what foods I can and can't eat without consequences. Painful, gassy, half-an-hour-in-the-bathroom-swearing consequences. The diet is doing an awesome job and I'm much better...

...so I got a little careless, didn't I? ::)

The result was twenty minutes in the bathroom at work today, suffering the abovementioned consequences. And farting. Squeakily. A portion of my anatomy that I would really rather stayed silent was sounding like a deflating balloon, the whole time!

"Ow..."
*squeak!*
"Heh. Ow."
*squeeeeerrrrrrk*
"Hehheh."
*peep!*
"*snicker* Ow."
*EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee....*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Dr. F.

« Reply #4101 on: July 26, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
So, my new foster pup, Angel, is apparently a tick magnet. I have now pulled *3* off of her. The worst one was this morning, when I pulled a solid 3/8" tick off of the inside of her upper lip.

I promptly had the heeby-jeebies.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4102 on: July 26, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
I was recently diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and am currently on an exclusion diet to try to nail down exactly what foods I can and can't eat without consequences. Painful, gassy, half-an-hour-in-the-bathroom-swearing consequences.
Only half an hour? Lucky.  Mine tends to go on for several hours, in waves.
The diet is doing an awesome job and I'm much better...
Do you mind detailing what things you avoid?  Because I've never been able to pin down any one thing or type of things.  Some days I can eat all the dairy I want, the very next day half a cup of milk seems to set me off.

The result was twenty minutes in the bathroom at work today, suffering the abovementioned consequences. And farting. Squeakily. A portion of my anatomy that I would really rather stayed silent was sounding like a deflating balloon, the whole time!
Ah, yes, playing the intestinal tuba....
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4103 on: July 26, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
I was recently diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and am currently on an exclusion diet to try to nail down exactly what foods I can and can't eat without consequences. Painful, gassy, half-an-hour-in-the-bathroom-swearing consequences.
Only half an hour? Lucky.  Mine tends to go on for several hours, in waves.
The diet is doing an awesome job and I'm much better...
Do you mind detailing what things you avoid?  Because I've never been able to pin down any one thing or type of things.  Some days I can eat all the dairy I want, the very next day half a cup of milk seems to set me off.

Ah, yes, playing the intestinal tuba....

Same, elfmama!  I can eat all the spicy food I want one day without consequence.  A few days later, I eat a small bite of the same thing and feel like my stomach and intestines are trying to chacha their way out through my abs.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4104 on: July 26, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
Elfmama, Magpie:

At the moment I'm avoiding everything that the Monash University Low FODMAP Diet App flags as bad. It's here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/monash-university-low-fodmap/id586149216?mt=8

I stay on the exclusion diet for at least a week, then eat a serving of something that's red-flagged for just ONE of the indigestible sugars. It's a bit more complicated than that (the Oligos category can be split up into a bunch of sub-categories that the app doesn't make clear, and I have to test different serving sizes of everything - my dietician is advising me) but the worst triggers I've identified for myself so far are onions, garlic (sob, farewell Italian food), mushrooms (SOB), and pretty well any stone fruit.

If your triggers seem to be inconsistent, it might be a dosage problem (i.e. your gut is OK with one serving of X but any more of it in the next few days pushes you over the edge) or a combination issue (if I eat mushrooms, it's kinda bad. If I eat fatty food, I have no problem. If I eat mushrooms AND fatty food in the same meal, do not stand between me and the bathroom for the next eight hours).
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4105 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
While doing my monthly exam in the shower, I noticed a lump in my armpit.  When I got out of the shower, I went to look at it in the mirror.  Realized it was a pimple or ingrown hair. 

I gave it a gentle squeeze.  It ejected a hard plug of pus followed by a SPRAY of greenish yellow pus and then blood.  It was nasty, nasty, nasty and a Female Dog to clean off the mirror. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4106 on: July 27, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
While doing my monthly exam in the shower, I noticed a lump in my armpit.  When I got out of the shower, I went to look at it in the mirror.  Realized it was a pimple or ingrown hair. 

I gave it a gentle squeeze.  It ejected a hard plug of pus followed by a SPRAY of greenish yellow pus and then blood.  It was nasty, nasty, nasty and a Female Dog to clean off the mirror. 

I am disappoint at no video.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4107 on: July 27, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »

Sorry, it was quite unexpected. Plus, I was still naked.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

perpetua

« Reply #4108 on: July 27, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »

Me too. That sounds awesome.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4109 on: July 27, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »

Me too. That sounds awesome.

Ditto for me. I would so LOVE to squeeze something like that!