Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 605812 times)

KimberlyM

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4155 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
2 and a half weeks ago my husband and I did a Costco run to restock the chest freezer with meat.  Once we got everything vacuum sealed I realized the freezer needed re-organization.  I was taking things out and moving them around to squeeze everything in.  Our freezer is in the garage.  It's been 95degrees + here for a month and often upwards of 100 in the garage.  About a week ago we started noticing a smell in there that has been getting progressively worse.  I went out last night to start some laundry and decided something had to have died in there so I started digging around through all my husbands tools boxes etc, and found a whole chicken.  Right next to the freezer.  Apparently I missed it putting everything away.  A chicken will liquefy in a hot room in a matter of weeks.  I was gagging while shoveling it out into the trash. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4156 on: August 08, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
I'm laughing so hard right now. I could only imagine the smell. The squishy egies wouldn't bother me, but I don't deal well with smells, at all.

The worst part of it was that at first I thought it was Diet Cokes that had leaked, because it was on the bottom shelf, and Dr. Pepper couldn't cover the whole bottom of a cabinet when it was on the top, right? I WAS WRONG, SO VERY WRONG.  :-X
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

greencat

« Reply #4157 on: August 10, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
When I was a kid, probably around 12 or so, my mom had me take a plastic container of leftovers out to the compost heap.  The gate to the heap was rarely operated, so putting things in it involved either pushing them through the wide gaps in the wood slats of the top half or throwing them over the top.  I think at that time the gate may have rusted nearly shut - I'm fairly sure I couldn't get it open for some reason or another.  I deeply regretted that when I got down there and cracked the lid to the container.

Do you know what cooked cabbage smells like after it has first sat in a refrigerator for weeks, until someone noticed it was becoming a science experiment, and removed it to the counter to be taken to the compost heap the next day, only to forget about it for at least a few days?

Unfortunately, I do...I had to throw away the shoes and clothes I was wearing, because when I tossed the container over the top of the compost heap (I informed my mother that she didn't want it back in the house) the juice from the rotted cabbage got all over me.

jilly

« Reply #4158 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:36 AM »
In the stupid things I have done I posted about accidentally electrocuting myself with 400V which gave me some nasty burns on my hand. If I get this right I should be posting a photo of my right hand taken 2 days later at the first dressing change (I've been scaring trainees with it :) ) I was actually gripping the wire with my right hand so it's the worst burn, my left where I just lightly held the wire didn't look as bad but has bigger scars.

right hand

I left bits of my hand on the wire too.

I'll try to get a photo of the other hand and scars too if anyone is interested but I have to get to work now.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4159 on: August 14, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
In the stupid things I have done I posted about accidentally electrocuting myself with 400V which gave me some nasty burns on my hand. If I get this right I should be posting a photo of my right hand taken 2 days later at the first dressing change (I've been scaring trainees with it :) ) I was actually gripping the wire with my right hand so it's the worst burn, my left where I just lightly held the wire didn't look as bad but has bigger scars.

right hand

I'll try to get a photo of the other hand and scars too if anyone is interested but I have to get to work now.

That was shocking  ;).  Really glad you made a good recovery.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4160 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »

right hand

Ouch!  I'm glad you're OK, and thanks for the awesome picture!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4161 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
We have a roach problem that we have just about defeated. We go through different nooks and crannies of our townhouse daily looking for more, and now DH and DS count them off a la Legolas and Gimli in LOTR.  ::) ;D

I have learned that I do not digest brown rice.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4162 on: August 14, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »
Jilly, those are great training pictures.  Hearing your story probably makes the newbies a lot more careful than they would be otherwise.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #4163 on: August 15, 2013, 01:00:34 AM »
On Saturday morning, DH and I were cutting 1-inch pieces of two-by-fours for a project; DH was pushing the 2x4, and I was attempting to use a push-stick to keep them from being kicked up by the saw and slung across the room.  I must have done something wrong, because that's exactly what happened. I got thwacked in the temple with a chunk of wood. Blood started cascading down my face, and off we went to the Urgent Care.  I have a huge goose-egg on that temple, extreme tenderness, and a gouge out of the skin, such that they couldn't even put in stitches without making a puckered scar. 

That was gross enough, but it's what has happened in the last 3 days that is even grosser.  All the dead blood cells that normally form a bruise at the site of an injury are slowly creeping down my face under the skin.  I have what looks like a HUGE black eye, upper and lower lids both, and it's continuing on down my cheek. No tenderness, as you would expect from a normal bruise.  My doctor says that it might continue to creep for several days; that when her mother had a similar injury, the 'bruise' crept clear down her neck as well!  :o   Thank you so much, gravity!  >:(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4164 on: August 15, 2013, 02:26:16 AM »
Ow, Elfmama! That sounds terribly painful! (And kind of awesome. But terribly painful.)

I really dislike being sick. I'm coughing up gelatinous chunks of yellowish phlegm. At...least it's moving, I guess?
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4165 on: August 15, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »
Elfmama, are you related to my Dad?

This spring, my brother was taking down some dead trees in the bush for Dad to burn in the wood stove next winter.  Dad was helping out.  He was chopping a branch into stove length pieces when one of them jumped up and hit him in the bridge of the nose.

We're pretty sure his nose was broken and he had spectacular bruising around his eyes that took a long time to go away.  When Dad and I went into town to run some errands the next day, I was worried I was going to be arrested for elder abuse!   ;)

It's become a bit of joke with my brother and I; Dad is 79 but still insists on doing things he's done all his life like chop wood and shovel the porch roof and go hunting with my brother in the bush in Northern Ontario, artificial hip and all.  And he always seems to manage to injure himself.  We're trying to get him to slow down a bit but we're afraid that he might just decide to slow down completely.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4166 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
That was gross enough, but it's what has happened in the last 3 days that is even grosser.  All the dead blood cells that normally form a bruise at the site of an injury are slowly creeping down my face under the skin.  I have what looks like a HUGE black eye, upper and lower lids both, and it's continuing on down my cheek. No tenderness, as you would expect from a normal bruise.  My doctor says that it might continue to creep for several days; that when her mother had a similar injury, the 'bruise' crept clear down her neck as well!  :o   Thank you so much, gravity!  >:(
You might have a hematoma.  I hit something (a rock? the ground?) above my left knee almost 3 years ago when I fell off my horse.  The swelling was initially as big as a half grapefruit right above my knee.  For the next 2 months, the blood leaked down, streaking my leg purple, blue, red, green, and yellow down to the ankle.  It is still visibly swollen, but not a lot.

Since I had that fall, I also had a shoulder injury completely unrelated to horses.  I tore a ligament off the bone, had surgery to re-attach it, went through 6 months of physical therapy, and now it's good as new.  The hematoma above my knee still hurts - 3 years later.  :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4167 on: August 17, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
Somebody barfed all over the bathroom at work. Guess who had to clean it up.  :-\

cwm

« Reply #4168 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
Somebody barfed all over the bathroom at work. Guess who had to clean it up.  :-\

Ew.

The only time I volunteered to clean up the barf out of the bathroom at work was when I put it there. I respect my coworkers too much to make them do that, and the cleaning people didn't come in until the next morning. It's not fun.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4169 on: August 19, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
I work at a gas station. Its my responsibility to keep the bathroom clean during my shift. New girl came in, but she wouldn't touch it. *sigh*
 :(