Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 743949 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4215 on: August 30, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
I drove through Las Cruces, New Mexico, in summer.

I think Las Cruces is Spanish for "What's that smell?"  It was a heady blend of feedlot and WD-40.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

cwm

« Reply #4216 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »
Not sure if I've told this one before.

Mom and I were cooking one day, years ago. She had been slicing onions and was making stew for dinner, I was making desserts for a cookout the next day. I had these super awesome slice and bake cookies, and asked her for a knife.

Anyone see where this is going?

We had to stop on the way to the cookout to pick up store bought cookies. The ones we had made tasted like they had been cooked in onion juice. Which they kind of had, since my mom handed me the onion knife.

Let me tell you, there are few things worse than expecting a nice soft sugar cookie and getting sugary raw onion flavor instead.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4217 on: August 30, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
My job allows me to wallow in grossness: I am the state sludge program manager aka "The Queen of Sludge."  I promote all the good things that can be made from poop.  The solids in wastewater go on to further treatment and I think they smell OK, especially after treatment.  While we don't allow it in my state, other states allow land application of lime stabilized domestic septage.  Domestic septage is a technical term for the crap that is pumped out of portable/chemical toilets.  Lime stabilization doesn't improve the odors.  Land application means spread on agricultural land to improve soil productivity.

A new site in another state was proposed for land application of domestic septage.  One of the neighbors knows a little chemistry and apparently knows how to google and wiki.  He objected to the proposed action on the grounds that the hydrogen sulfide has killed people.  While that is technically true, the concentrations have to be really high to kill.  These high concentrations only happen in confined spaces like sewer manholes.  Workers have died in these confined spaces.  Spreading the lime stabilized domestic septage on a field could not kill anyone because the gas is not confined and will disperse.

One person who has been around when lime stabilized domestic septage was spread on a field said, "It won't kill you, but you'll wish you were dead." >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4218 on: August 30, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
When I hear people object to human waste, no matter how sterilized or treated being placed in the ground, I think back to the generations who lived without modern sanitation. Poop is everywhere! You just can't find it without testing.

This morning, I woke with a headache and slight nausea. I had an iced coffee, but didn't eat anything. All the sudden, I felt the urge and suddenly had to run upstairs (which is difficult when you have to go). I just barely made it in time.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4219 on: August 30, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »
When I hear people object to human waste, no matter how sterilized or treated being placed in the ground, I think back to the generations who lived without modern sanitation. Poop is everywhere! You just can't find it without testing.
To be fair, many of those generations who lived without modern sanitation died from contaminated drinking water, etc.  I don't think we want to go back to the good old days of cholera epidemics.

Even now we have food recalls when spinach contains E. coli (for example).  Some countries use untreated wastewater to irrigate crops, which can have some nasty repercussions when consumed by people whose digestive systems aren't accustomed to those organisms.

Sometimes I encounter people who think biological soil amendments should be sterilized before being applied to agricultural land.  First, why would you want sterile dirt?  Nothing grows in sterile dirt.  Bacteria, fungi, and viruses naturally occur in soil, so why spend the money sterilizing the stuff you mix with that soil?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Ereine

« Reply #4220 on: August 31, 2013, 04:10:40 AM »
My town resisted treating sewage until 1970s, they just dumped in a river, the same river that was their source of drinking water. I'm not sure how it worked but I guess that they got the drinking water from upstream (and we used to drink the river water until a few years ago, it tasted pretty nasty).

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4221 on: August 31, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
Sinus infection - the drainage is two interesting shades of yellow....depending on which side of my sinuses it is coming out of. 

As interesting as the medical situation is - I prefer being free from the pain of a sinus infection - so I am taking my antibiotics.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4222 on: August 31, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
In the shower on Thursday, I had to sneeze, so I cupped my hands over my face and then realized I had a 3" long stringy piece of red mucus. Yuck!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4223 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
My uncle bought some fertilizer from the sewage treatment plant and put it on his front lawn. He learned that NOTHING kills tomato seeds.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4224 on: August 31, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
A family ick. (And why does all the Liliane family ick seem to revolve around kitchens?)

Our city recently launched a program where they supplied families with bio-buckets. Basically, it's a small plastic bucket in which you place a biodegradable plastic bag, in which you then place small food scraps which will then (in theory) rot down into a nice compost, or you can toss the bag and contents out with your yard waste if you so choose. So, we have a bio-bucket, and we've been giving it a try.

Theory? Nice. Practice? Uh. When a cloud of fruit flies assaults you from the bucket every time you even jostle it, much less lift the lid; when the bags biodegrade so quickly you're left with a mass of slop and smelly food bits that CAN'T then be emptied into anything but the normal trash; when there is absolutely no way to get that bucket clean and non-stinky again (because the plastic it's made of is VERY good at absorbing odors)...no, not so much.

We've officially stopped using it now that we have an infestation of fruit flies IN THE SINK DRAIN. Do you have any idea how hard it is to eradicate drain flies? :-\
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

EMuir

« Reply #4225 on: August 31, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »
To kill drain flies: pour one of these down the drains nightly: bleach OR cooking oil OR Vinegar.  This will kill the eggs. 

We now compost immediately after cutting up veggies and take the stuff right out to the pile.  You're right, fruit flies will just make the compost bin inside their best home ever.

Gross story for today: We are fostering a kitten with an infected eye.  There was a bunch of dried pus on the inner eyelid, which was closed, it looked like greenish cauliflower was growing out of his eye.  After soaking his eye with water for a good 20 minutes, the crud finally fell off. Blargh.

snowfire

« Reply #4226 on: September 01, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
Poor baby, I hope he feels better now!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4227 on: September 01, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »
That's a patient kitten!

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4228 on: September 01, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »
A year or so ago, we took the kitty kids in to get them neutered. On the way home one of Havoc's incisions opened, and bled all over the towel I had in the crate for him. We found this when we got home, which by then it had stopped bleeding. I kept an eye on this for a few days.

One day I was looking at it, and the sac looked puffy. I picked just a bit at the scab, and pussy blood drained from the wound. After getting as much gunk out of the wound as possible, I put a couple drops of peroxide in the wound, just to do  the final clean up. That did NOT make him very happy. Thankfully, though, that cleared up the infection, and it healed up nicely.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4229 on: September 01, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
A year or so ago, we took the kitty kids in to get them neutered. On the way home one of Havoc's incisions opened, and bled all over the towel I had in the crate for him. We found this when we got home, which by then it had stopped bleeding. I kept an eye on this for a few days.

One day I was looking at it, and the sac looked puffy. I picked just a bit at the scab, and pussy blood drained from the wound. After getting as much gunk out of the wound as possible, I put a couple drops of peroxide in the wound, just to do  the final clean up. That did NOT make him very happy. Thankfully, though, that cleared up the infection, and it healed up nicely.

What other kind of blood would come out of a cat?  :D

Also, anyone else as surprised as me that made it past the forum filters?