Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 694170 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4350 on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
Best part of all?  Has been sighted in Illinois! 

That is entirely too close to me for comfort!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #4351 on: October 02, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »

/back to your regularly-scheduled icky.

Thanks for that....we're headed to IL for a wedding next month  :-\
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

JoW

« Reply #4352 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »
It must be scrabble season for skunks.  Either that or they are fattening up an looking for a place to hide for the winter.

The route I take to work is not the one I take home.  Both routes are about 5 miles long.  And right now each route has a road-killed skunk carcass.  You don't know what stink means until you've smelled skunk spray on hot asphalt. 

greencat

« Reply #4353 on: October 03, 2013, 01:34:27 AM »
It must be scrabble season for skunks.  Either that or they are fattening up an looking for a place to hide for the winter.

The route I take to work is not the one I take home.  Both routes are about 5 miles long.  And right now each route has a road-killed skunk carcass.  You don't know what stink means until you've smelled skunk spray on hot asphalt.

Amen to that.  Not just skunk spray, but the special miasma of rotting skunk. 

squeakers

« Reply #4354 on: October 03, 2013, 04:47:28 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBg6m_rnNM

If you are dental phobic... don't click.

If you have a bug phobia... don't click.

For those who did click ... rest easy.  From what i could glean on the 'net the probable cause was a screw-worm fly.  Similar to a botfly.  At some point and time the guy fell asleep with his mouth open, fly laid eggs and the result was... what you just saw.

Screw-worm flies have been eradicated in the USA but are still found in parts of South America.

Just another reason I hate waking up with a dry mouth = I was snoring mouth open.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4355 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »

For those who did click ... rest easy.  From what i could glean on the 'net the probable cause was a screw-worm fly.  Similar to a botfly.  At some point and time the guy fell asleep with his mouth open, fly laid eggs and the result was... what you just saw.

Screw-worm flies have been eradicated in the USA but are still found in parts of South America.

Just another reason I hate waking up with a dry mouth = I was snoring mouth open.

O.M.G.!!!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4356 on: October 03, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

Gah!  I'm assuming regular and routine dental hygiene would have prevented that even if it happened in N.A.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

squeakers

« Reply #4357 on: October 03, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »

Gah!  I'm assuming regular and routine dental hygiene would have prevented that even if it happened in N.A.

If you get infected you won't notice until the pain begins... http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bodyhorrors/2013/07/22/screwworm-myiasis/#.Uk3q74brxrE
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

perpetua

« Reply #4358 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
Something is terribly wrong with my intestinal system. Ick.

Mine too. I have developed horrid reflux. It's amazing what can sit in your oesophagus and for how long, to the degree that you think "Hmm. I don't recall eating *that* this week..."

I do not know why I have developed this, but I have learned not to trust a belch.

cwm

« Reply #4359 on: October 04, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »
Something is terribly wrong with my intestinal system. Ick.

Mine too. I have developed horrid reflux. It's amazing what can sit in your oesophagus and for how long, to the degree that you think "Hmm. I don't recall eating *that* this week..."

I do not know why I have developed this, but I have learned not to trust a belch.

Both of you should try my remedy. My stomach wasn't right Wednesday night. I managed 14.5 hours of sleep solidly through to yesterday afternoon. Everything felt so much better.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4360 on: October 04, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Last week I spent eating inmate food 3 meals a day for 5 days straight.  It wreaked absolute havoc on my system, as I generally eat fruit, vegetables, organic foods, and vegetarian foods.  I also went from low altitude to high altitude.  It wasn't stinky, but boy oh boy was there a lot of gas!  I was trying to yell cadence over the wind (heh no pun intended) and every time I braced to yell I farted.  It is really hard not to laugh when that happens, but the fear of being screamed at and forced to do PT was enough to stop me from laughing.

Oh, and the stench of No. 2.  The other 5 girls would clear out of the barracks when I would go, it was that bad.  My body has finally gotten back to normal a week after the last meal.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #4361 on: October 06, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

That is entirely too close to me for comfort!

Okay, the vital question here is where in Illinois?!?

I'm currently in another state, visiting my sister and her new baby, so if they're too close to my place, I may never go home!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4362 on: October 06, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »
My son went to a pool party yesterday, and he flipped into the pool, striking his big toe on the edge and inflicting the trauma in the picture below. He was on the other side of our complex and made his way home, falling twice and skinning his knees and elbows. Sigh.  :(

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4363 on: October 06, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
Those are some long fricking toes!

Hope he's OK.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #4364 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
This isn't really gross, since the object in question was boiled and bleached after I found it in the backyard, but it brings much heartbreak:  I broke my skull.    :'(

No, not the one with my brain, the fox skull that was the highlight of the Halloween prop that I'm building.  It's a mutant fox built of PVC pipe covered with burlap soaked in "monster mud."  A long neck leads up to the skull head, which has orange LED lights installed in the eyes.  It looked so cool when I left it to dry.  Sometime during the night, Foxy fell off the table.   The skull is tightly wrapped in plastic to protect it from the mud, so at least all the pieces are there.  It feels kind of loose when I squeeze the plastic, though.  I'm afraid to take it off and see the damage.   :-\