Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 767906 times)

cwm

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4710 on: December 27, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
I volunteered at the Humane Society in my college town.  The college also had a vet school so to save money, the shelter dogs were sent there to be spayed/neutered by students.  This provided the students with a supply of "guinea pigs" to practice on under their instructor's supervision and the shelter got free spay/neuter surgeries to help with the pet overpopulation in town.

One dog though, upon waking to find stitches in her abdomen after her surgery, freaked out and chewed out the stitches, a good portion of her skin, and several feet of her intestines before they found her the next morning!   :o  They sent her back to the school for emergency surgery and the dog was saved, although she would have to have an expensive medicine in her food to basically break it down and make it super-absorbable so that what was left of her intestines could absorb the nutrition out of it.  She always looked near-starving and her bones stuck out because she barely got the nutrition to survive.  I thought it would have been kinder to euthanize her but she was still a sweet, gentle dog the HS kept fighting for her.

Friend's dad had a patient's dog do that. He frequently took dogs home with him to recuperate rather than leaving a person at the surgery overnight, and they ended up doing emergency surgery with his wife and sister and law and daughter (my friend) in the kitchen in the middle of the night. Owners were very pleased that everything was done to save their dog, and they took care of her for another seven or eight years before she had to be put down. They wouldn't ever dream of going to another doctor after friend's dad took extreme measures on his own to save her.

Melle

« Reply #4711 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
Okay, I think I might have finally worked up the courage to write this... and I still probabyly wouldn't, but I'm absolutely desperate to know if this ever happened to anybody else or if I just have the most screwed up body in the universe.

A few years ago, a co-worker invited me and two other people from my office to his house for Raclette.
This happened to be how I found out that my body can't process Raclette cheese. At all.
I was in agony half an hour after we had started eating, battling unbelievably painful abdominal cramps and a lot of shame at the same time, trying my best to hide my condition from my co-workers. I was just about to decide if I should chance stinking up my co-worker's bathroom or if it was better to run outside and try to make it home (I was about an hour and a half away from my apartment).

And then...
How do I put this.
Well, see, one of the cramps had, um, what you might call... a "happy ending".
*coughs*

It was the most humiliating moment of my entire life, I was so sure the person who had been talking to me when it happened must have seen it on my face.
I excused myself very quickly after that.
The cramps on the way home were nothing in comparison to the shame.

So!
...I'm utterly alone in this, aren't I?  :'(

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #4712 on: December 27, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »

So!

You are not alone.  I do not have experience with the kind of cheese you're discussing but I feel for you all the same.  I am currently on a medication that can give me unfortunate GI problems seemingly out of nowhere.  Just yesterday I felt my stomach rumbling and then before I had time to think "I should probably go to the ladies room." well, I needed to change my clothes.  :-[  I cleaned up as best I could in the bathroom and then texted my boss that I was leaving for the day as these incidents are never a single occurrence and I was resigned to spending the rest of the day in my bathroom at home.

People act like these sorts of things don't happen but it's not like you did this to yourself on purpose, nor did have any idea that this would happen to you.  It is called an accident for a reason and while embarrassing, please don't take it too badly.   [Feces] happens.

;D

cwm

« Reply #4713 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
So!

Of course not!

Early this fall, I was sick. I couldn't really decide which end to put over the toilet, because as soon as something came out one end, it would come out the other end too. The upper end finally stopped, but it took about another week for my backside to stop leaking at very inopportune moments. Like when I sneezed. Did I mention this was fall, and my allergies are really bad in the fall? It wasn't fun at all.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4714 on: December 27, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »
Due to fever and various meds - I am getting about one minute of "warning" to head to the bathroom right now.  If anyone is in the one closest to me, I will be out of luck...

Fortunately, so far I haven't had to do laundry.

I have blessed my foresight in getting another 24 rolls of toilet tissue just before Christmas...as I'm not the ONLY one with the same strain of flu.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4715 on: December 27, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
I have 80 rolls of TP currently, and am very glad as my diabetes meds and antibiotics are having a fight resulting in frequent bathroom trips.

I thoroughly recommend keeping a complete change of clothing in the car.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #4716 on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
I thoroughly recommend keeping a complete change of clothing in the car.

I used to do that and need to start doing so again.  It was great when I worked with animals.  you  never knew when you might suddenly a t-shirt without any cat pee on it!   ::)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4717 on: December 27, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
I've also had a couple of, shall we say, wardrobe malfunctions.  I'm lucky in that I live only 5 minutes from my office.  I've only had one incident at work, fortunately.  My incidents have been few and far between so I haven't yet resorted to carrying a change of clothes in my car.  I do always have sanitary pads in my purse so if my undies only are compromised, I can use one of those, in a pinch.

I don't know what Raclette cheese is - I've been to a Raclette 'party' but I don't recall there being cheese.  I do have issues with cheese whiz.  So much so that I don't eat it any more, long before I would have dropped it because of its chemical composition and lack of nutritional value.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4718 on: December 27, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
So!

Of course not!

Early this fall, I was sick. I couldn't really decide which end to put over the toilet, because as soon as something came out one end, it would come out the other end too. The upper end finally stopped, but it took about another week for my backside to stop leaking at very inopportune moments. Like when I sneezed. Did I mention this was fall, and my allergies are really bad in the fall? It wasn't fun at all.
That's when the bathroom trashcan comes into use for something other than trash.  Sit on the toilet as normal, and use the trashcan for the upper end.  If you're lucky, someone has lined it with a plastic bag first for easy cleanup.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4719 on: December 27, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
So!

Of course not!

That's when the bathroom trashcan comes into use for something other than trash.  Sit on the toilet as normal, and use the trashcan for the upper end.  If you're lucky, someone has lined it with a plastic bag first for easy cleanup.

Even if it isn't lined - if you've bought a smaller trash can for the bathroom - it can go in the dishwasher to be well and truly cleaned - detergent, really hot water, bleach, and a good rinse with more hot water.

Been there, done that after VorGuy didn't tell me he'd thawed pork (ribs, I think) on the kitchen counter all day for a cookout, only to put them in the fridge when there weren't as many people there as we'd planned for...I didn't cook the ribs for three days.

We had chicken noodle soup for Thanksgiving that year....as the party had been the weekend before Thanksgiving - come to think of it - that might have been WHY so many people were out of town.  Back then, sometimes school was out for a whole week instead of Thanksgiving Thursday and the next day (Black Friday was not yet invented - it was over thirty years ago).

But I never let him thaw pork again....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

alkira6

« Reply #4720 on: December 27, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
So!

Of course not!

Even if it isn't lined - if you've bought a smaller trash can for the bathroom - it can go in the dishwasher to be well and truly cleaned - detergent, really hot water, bleach, and a good rinse with more hot water.

Been there, done that after VorGuy didn't tell me he'd thawed pork (ribs, I think) on the kitchen counter all day for a cookout, only to put them in the fridge when there weren't as many people there as we'd planned for...I didn't cook the ribs for three days.

We had chicken noodle soup for Thanksgiving that year....as the party had been the weekend before Thanksgiving - come to think of it - that might have been WHY so many people were out of town.  Back then, sometimes school was out for a whole week instead of Thanksgiving Thursday and the next day (Black Friday was not yet invented - it was over thirty years ago).

But I never let him thaw pork again....

Raises hand. Pauses to think, raises both of them.

I have been battling several things over the past few weeks and have repeatedly been the victim of what my husband calls "sharts".  If you can't figure it out, it is a fart with a ninja solid attached to it.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4721 on: December 27, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
So!

Of course not!

Or, you can do what I did one miserable occasion after I had made a thorough mess of myself- just curl up in the tub until you have nothing left to evacuate, shower in as hot of water as you can stand, bleach the tub and crawl to bed.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Dr. F.

« Reply #4722 on: December 28, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
It's not gross yet, but I am anticipating grossness.

I've got a largish boil forming on my butt. It wasn't clear to me what it was until this morning in the shower - I assumed I had a bruise there from being body checked/dragged/tripping over a dog. Nope, it's a boil. It's about 1.5" in diameter right now, but who knows how big it'll get.

I will keep you all updated.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4723 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »

I've got a largish boil forming on my butt. It wasn't clear to me what it was until this morning in the shower - I assumed I had a bruise there from being body checked/dragged/tripping over a dog. Nope, it's a boil. It's about 1.5" in diameter right now, but who knows how big it'll get.

Yay!

My groin abcess (aka "boingy sac of blood") keeps having fun without me at night.  It apparently refilled while I wasn't paying attention and burst again overnight. No sacs-O-fun, but lotsa blood.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4724 on: December 28, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

Yay!

My groin abcess (aka "boingy sac of blood") keeps having fun without me at night.  It apparently refilled while I wasn't paying attention and burst again overnight. No sacs-O-fun, but lotsa blood.

Well, since I'm in good company here...  :P

I occasionally get cysts in my armpit and groin, sized anywhere from a pea to (on one memorable occasion) as big as the last joint of my thumb. They're not big deep pimples - I get those too! - they're full of blood. They hurt like *expletive* when there's any pressure on them (which is just spiffy when they're in the fold between groin and thigh), never develop anything that looks like a head, and tend to just suddenly release with no warning. I was poking around at one a few months ago and had decided that it wasn't going to go away any time soon when SPLAT! I shot the bathroom wall (two feet away) and my hand with rather a lot of nearly-black blood. ;D

I have one now. There will be no photos, since it's not in my armpit. It's nearly as big as the biggest I've ever had, and if I'm sitting up in the right position to be driving a car it's under quiiiiiite a bit of pressure. I hope it lets go soon... and I hope it does it when I'm at home, because I do not want to get a sudden patch of blood in the crotch of my jeans when I'm out in public. :-X :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"