Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 720051 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4725 on: December 28, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »
Giant cyst on my back below my left shoulder. However, it is just irritating, it won't go away. I need to have it removed surgically.

On a plus, I start biology class, mortuary anthropology and Life and Death in ancient Egypt. It should be interesting. Since I can't wear open toed shoes to two of those classes, I will be carrying a full change of clothes every day.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4726 on: December 30, 2013, 08:05:56 PM »
WELP. Grossness has ensued!

I went to the doctor yesterday about the 'cyst' I mentioned up-thread, because it had gotten BIGGER than the joint at the end of my thumb and was definitely putting a crimp in walking, sitting, driving, you name it. I expected to get a prescription for antibiotics, and hoped that it would be a bit better today, since family plans involved me driving for over an hour and a half both today and tomorrow to do a favour for my parents.

Not so much. My GP's intern diagnosed a particular type of… er… 'girly' cyst, and referred me to hospital for minor-but-kinda-urgent surgery to have it drained.

It actually wasn't what she thought (as I worked out for myself by Googling 'bartholin cyst' on my phone while sitting around waiting - be aware, if you go looking any images you find will definitely NOT be work safe); it was in fact an infected hair follicle that was working its way up to being a nasty abscess. It's a good thing she referred me for surgery anyway, as the hospital surgical resident agreed that not only did it need to be drained, I needed I.V. antibiotics and a bunch more pills to take home and take for the next week.

End result? Eight hours sitting around in various departments of the hospital, minor surgery that got me praised for being brave when I only swore a little as the local anaesthetic got put in (and laughed at when I switched from actual swear words to saying "FRUITCAKE!" when it got really sore), a lot of blood, some pus, and a little hard core that the resident made sure I got a good look at - we were chatting before the actual surgery and it turns out she likes looking at cyst drainage videos on YouTube too! ;D There will be NO photos of the abscess itself, because none have been taken and none will be :P but I do have a photo of the port they put in my arm - anyone interested in that? 8)

(As for the errand I was going to run today and tomorrow that involved driving quite a bit both days… well, given that I got home at 2AM and don't plan to put on pants today, let alone leave the house, the Good Ethnic Boy has kindly volunteered to take over. :P)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4727 on: December 30, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
Awwww, man, I want a cyst!

AustenFan

« Reply #4728 on: December 31, 2013, 02:02:54 AM »

I don't want a cyst, I want someone around me to get one and let me perform minor surgery on it. Not somebody I care deeply about like my kids or parents because I wouldn't want them in pain, but someone close enough to me that they would let me dig around in it. ;)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4729 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »

I don't want a cyst, I want someone around me to get one and let me perform minor surgery on it. Not somebody I care deeply about like my kids or parents because I wouldn't want them in pain, but someone close enough to me that they would let me dig around in it. ;)

You are one sick puppy AustenFan. I like you.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4730 on: December 31, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

That would be me. The Sweetie won't have anything to do with zits, cysts, abcesses, etc. "If you loved me, you would pop them!" I cry inside, silently.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

BarensMom

« Reply #4731 on: December 31, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

That would be me. The Sweetie won't have anything to do with zits, cysts, abcesses, etc. "If you loved me, you would pop them!" I cry inside, silently.

My mother had cysts on her head.  At some point, they would come to the surface and I could pull them out with a needle.  They didn't explode or do anything spectacular like on YouTube because they were filled with dried yellow crud.  They looked like little round balls made of skin and, yes, they did bounce.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4732 on: December 31, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
I have a fairly large red raised area on my stomach that gets rubbed by my waistbands. It was the size of a nickel and about 1/2" tall last night, bright red. This morning it was half the size. I hope it gets a head, so I can get rid of it.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4733 on: December 31, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
I have a fairly large red raised area on my stomach that gets rubbed by my waistbands. It was the size of a nickel and about 1/2" tall last night, bright red. This morning it was half the size. I hope it gets a head, so I can get rid of it.

Sounds like an inflamed sebaceous cyst - the Good Ethnic Boy just got one drained by the doctor, and he's on antibiotics for it now. He wouldn't let me poke at it at ALL once he decided it was bad enough to take to the doc. :(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4734 on: December 31, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
Hubby poked it last night and looked, but there is no head. I may pop and drain it tonight, since I am home all day tomorrow and it can ooze all it wants. I want it gone.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4735 on: January 01, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
Yesterday was a gross out fest, for me at least.  I have a sinus infection (so far it's clear and stringy, with the occasional chunks of bright yellow or green) and blew my nose so often yesterday that I got a nosebleed.  Uck.  I go to the bathroom to take care of it, and discover my period has come early and unexpectedly.  There's nothing like being able to compare old, "dead" blood and fresh new blood at the same time.  ;) 

Then, because that's not really *that* gross, my GI tract decided it was in distress and I had to deal with that as well.   

So to recap, I bled profusely from multiple orifices at the same time, plus had GI distress.  I don't know if our toilet can be cleaned or if we should just napalm it and buy a new one!

Also, to add to the embarrassment of it all, I opened the bathroom door and found the dog sitting in front of it, with his head cocked quizzically.  Apparently the noises I was making were so interesting the dog wanted to see what was going on.  :-[

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4736 on: January 01, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
Hubby poked it last night and looked, but there is no head. I may pop and drain it tonight, since I am home all day tomorrow and it can ooze all it wants. I want it gone.

We tried to lance it with a clean X-acto and a little pus and blood came out. Will do it again and see if we can get it drained before I return to work tomorrow.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4737 on: January 01, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »

We tried to lance it with a clean X-acto and a little pus and blood came out. Will do it again and see if we can get it drained before I return to work tomorrow.

Magnoplasm, if memory serves me correctly, brings things to a nice head.  As far as I know, that's an Aussie brand, but there should be something like it in the US/Canada.  Put it on under a band aid and leave overnight.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4738 on: January 01, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »
Is it an antibiotic type ointment?  Then polysporin or neosporin would be an equivalent over here.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4739 on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
It's magnesium sulfate, so our equivalent would be Epsom salts. The best bet would probably be to dissolve some Epsom salts in water and soak a cotton ball, then put it over the spot.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!