Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 691892 times)

random numbers

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #4965 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Or....post a picture....

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4966 on: February 17, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Next time I can see it, I will.

This microwave was bought new when we moved in, August 2011.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4967 on: February 17, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
This is very gross, to me.

We had a roach problem at home at the end of the summer. Through diligent and pet safe pest control and management, we have all but obliterated them. However, a tiny one somehow got into our microwave digital display. It is now half grown. It is amazing to me that the roach is still alive and I have not a clue how to get it out.

1) Unplug microwave.
2) Pick up microwave.
3) Carry microwave to curb.

8)

Adapted for NEW microwave - put some frozen carbon dioxide in the microwave.  Put microwave in a large ice chest with lid barely cracked enough for air to escape the top.  Leave in 24 hours - roach will either asphyxiate or leave the microwave.  But - nobody can tip the ice chest or there will be air mixing in as the carbon dioxide flows out.

Or seal the top with plastic and make only tiny pinholes for air to escape as carbon dioxide ice becomes carbon dioxide gas - the double sided tape & the shrink to fit plastic storm windows film & a hair dryer.  After shrinking to fit - needle holes here & there for gas to escape.  Too soon and you risk the plastic ripping as it shrinks....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:16:02 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4968 on: February 17, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Yes, but then you have a DEAD roach in your microwave.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4969 on: February 18, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
I'm personally amazed that it is still alive with no food or water sources.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4970 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
It's getting out for food & water - then returning to a "nest" in the microwave's display (where it can be seen). 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4971 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
The display has only a pinprick sized opening. I truly believe it wouldn't be there if it could get out.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4972 on: February 18, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
What about inside the microwave oven?  I've heard of pizza ovens having nests of bugs in the insulation...it could be getting in from behind or underneath...I don't see how it got enough food to GROW without having access to food & minimal moisture....

Reika

« Reply #4973 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »
On the subject of bugs...

Mom amused one of her co-workers last night by her reaction to seeing a palmetto bug in their stock room. She apparently yelled and ran. He took care of it, then joked about it to their manager. Said manager sympathized with mom, then made plans to have the exterminator make an extra stop.

All I have to say is that I'm glad I'm not the one who had to deal with the giant armored roach for once.

alkira6

« Reply #4974 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
Your display has a small hole that you can see. I guarantee that there is another hole somewhere.

But

Possible solution.  If it is really cold where you are, take the microwave outside and leave it for 24-48 hours.  Kills em dead.  We did this to our appliances when we moved from the House of Doom into our new house.  We loaded everything into a U-Haul, left the door open but facing the wall of the house, and left it there for 24 hours.  We wound up sweeping dead roaches out of the U-Haul from where they tried to run and  froze.  The new house had not had a single one.

GreenHall

« Reply #4975 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »

Mom amused one of her co-workers last night by her reaction to seeing a palmetto bug in their stock room. She apparently yelled and ran. He took care of it, then joked about it to their manager. Said manager sympathized with mom, then made plans to have the exterminator make an extra stop.

All I have to say is that I'm glad I'm not the one who had to deal with the giant armored roach for once.

Giant, armored, FLYING, roach!  *shudders*

Reika

« Reply #4976 on: February 18, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »

Wait, they can fly? Sweet baby deity.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4977 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »

Wait, they can fly? Sweet baby deity.

Not only can they fly, but they do not fear humans.  I have had them fly right at my face.  AND crawl up my pant leg.  The inside of my pant leg.

Reika

« Reply #4978 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed the lack of fear of humans. None of them have flown at me. That's...wow, I think I might have nightmares the next time I see one.

JoW

« Reply #4979 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:43 PM »
Adapted for NEW microwave - put some frozen carbon dioxide in the microwave.  Put microwave in a large ice chest with lid barely cracked enough for air to escape the top.  Leave in 24 hours - roach will either asphyxiate or leave the microwave.  But - nobody can tip the ice chest or there will be air mixing in as the carbon dioxide flows out.

Or seal the top with plastic and make only tiny pinholes for air to escape as carbon dioxide ice becomes carbon dioxide gas - the double sided tape & the shrink to fit plastic storm windows film & a hair dryer.  After shrinking to fit - needle holes here & there for gas to escape.  Too soon and you risk the plastic ripping as it shrinks....

That's the one I'd try.  I don't know where VorFemme or the poster with the roach problem is, but in the US frozen carbon dioxide is sold as "Dry Ice".  Its available at nicer grocery stores for, last time I checked, about $1.50/lb.  Wholesale its closer to $0.70/lb.  Its COLD, dangerously, keep-your-hands-off-it cold.  -79C = -109F.  Wear gloves when you handle it.  Bring a cooler when you buy it. 

Another option for the container would be a large cardboard box lined with a large plastic garbage bag.  Tie the top of the bag with a loose overhand knot to hold the gas in without holding too much in. 

Carbon dioxide won't support life.  Do this treatment outside, away from humans and any animal you don't want to kill. 

(I do Science is Fun presentation that uses dry ice.)