Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 799963 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5025 on: March 21, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »
Do you mean rat terriers, or pet rodents?

Rat terriers. Sorry I wasn't clear!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5026 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:14 AM »
My husband, the darling, made homemade cheese sauce Wednesday night and mixed it with egg noodles for us and over rice for him. I looked today and in the kitchen is a large pot, covered with a baking sheet. I pull of the baking sheet and there is a stench not unlike that of vomit. I cleaned it. He can't believe that happened in just over a day. Believe it!

DH has done something similar, only his concoction contained tomato, garlic and a few other bits and bobs, mixed with pasta and topped with cheese. I threw up when it came to me washing up the following day.

New rule now...you make it, you wash up!!! :-X
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5027 on: March 25, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
We have two feeding stations for the cats. One on the third floor and one on the second.

Mocha, the Abyssinian kitten, loves to drown inanimate objects in the water dishes. It makes a huge mess. I couldn't identify what was in the 3rd floor water dish and made DH clean it out. It was buffalo hair.

alkira6

« Reply #5028 on: March 25, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
Nothing is like the stench of rice pilaf that has sat undisturbed in a closed rice cooker for 2 weeks.  I just threw it away as neither of us could deal with the smell.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5029 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
I would have too.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5030 on: March 25, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »
Nothing is like the stench of rice pilaf that has sat undisturbed in a closed rice cooker for 2 weeks.  I just threw it away as neither of us could deal with the smell.

you mean you tossed the rice cooker out too?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5031 on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
I believe so. I had to throw out a small, cheap slow cooker because something had boiled over into the housing and would not come out. Every time the element heated up, it smelled like death.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5032 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
The Sweetie and I tried natto recently (highly fermented soy beans). The texture is fine, but the fragrance and flavor - well, our best description was "a combination of coffee ice cream and death."

I pointed out that as long as anyone eats blue cheese, we have no grounds for making fun of natto.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

alkira6

« Reply #5033 on: March 25, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »
Yes, we threw the whole rice cooker away. It was one of our small ones and on its last legs. I figured we only had a couple more uses after that anyway as the heating element was taking longer and longer, so I just chucked it in the trash.

greencat

« Reply #5034 on: March 25, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
I threw out my old slow cooker because I made something cheesy in it and realized that proper cleaning was virtually impossible.  I replaced it with a larger one that has a removable stoneware insert - I can take it out and actually wash it!  If I don't have time to wash it properly I'll usually just cover it and throw it in the fridge so it doesn't get science project-y.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #5035 on: March 25, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
I threw out my old slow cooker because I made something cheesy in it and realized that proper cleaning was virtually impossible.  I replaced it with a larger one that has a removable stoneware insert - I can take it out and actually wash it!  If I don't have time to wash it properly I'll usually just cover it and throw it in the fridge so it doesn't get science project-y.

Slow cooker liners are great, too.  Makes cleanup so much easier.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5036 on: March 25, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
I will only have slow cookers with removable stoneware inserts. I won't use the liners as I don't like plastic near cooking food.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #5037 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:22 PM »
This isn't super gross, but it was a bit of a first for me.  I was at the store today, and I noticed that the handle of the basket I was carrying was starting to bend a little bit.  I put a 4-pack of energy drinks in the basket just before I noticed that, so I thought I'd take it out again to lighten the load a little.  The cardboard edge of the box scraped against my finger, and it hurt for a second, then I didn't feel it anymore and I forgot about it.

When I got in the car, I saw that my finger and thumb were covered in blood smears, and I remembered that the cashier was giving me a funny look.  I started driving, and when I checked the rear-view mirror I saw that there was a dark blood smear on my left cheek.  When the heck did I touch my face, and why didn't the cashier tell me I was bleeding?  ::)

Maybe she thought I knew but thought I didn't care.  So yeah, she probably thought I was kinda gross, and in retrospect it was pretty embarrassing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:41:08 PM by CrochetFanatic »

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5038 on: March 26, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
I will only have slow cookers with removable stoneware inserts. I won't use the liners as I don't like plastic near cooking food.

Same here.  Not to mention those liners add a GROSS taste and smell to the food.  How no one seems to notice it is a mystery to me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5039 on: March 26, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Plastic, when heated, releases bits into what is around it. Including food. I won't reheat anything in a plastic bag.