Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 797912 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5220 on: May 20, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
DS (15 and 10th grade) is dissecting a 4 month old pig in biology. He has told me that he is not eating lunch at all this week. It isn't the pig itself, it's the formaldehyde.

greencat

« Reply #5221 on: May 20, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
I grossed out most of my classmates and the teacher when my 9th grade biology class dissected crayfish...not because of anything I did with it, but because I said rather plaintively, "I want lobster now..."

A boy in my class won the gross out for the entire year because he accepted and went through with the dare to put one of the preserved organs from our dissected fetal pigs in his mouth.  I can still hear the sound of him gagging in my head...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5222 on: May 20, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
DS was done with his pig for the day and a classmate came over, grabbed the pigs heart and squeezed.

DS now knows what formaldehyde tastes like.  :-X

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5223 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »
DS was done with his pig for the day and a classmate came over, grabbed the pigs heart and squeezed.

DS now knows what formaldehyde tastes like.  :-X

And now I am trying not to retch. Urgh. Poor DS.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5224 on: May 20, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
DS (15 and 10th grade) is dissecting a 4 month old pig in biology. He has told me that he is not eating lunch at all this week. It isn't the pig itself, it's the formaldehyde.

Yea, the formaldehyde stench from my high school frog nearly ended me, and I opted to do a research report instead of the fetal pig later on.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5225 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »
one of my middle school science teachers(who had gone to school with my oldest brother) told us about how he'd had to miss a few basketball games due to sniffing formaldehyde. He said he coughed blood for about a week.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5226 on: May 20, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »
I'm one of the lucky small percent of the population that can't smell formaldehyde.  I used to work with it on a daily basis, it could have been tap water for all I could smell of it.

However, I have smelled the 'spectral' version of it, and it's vile! 

Yes, spectral as in ghostly.  Years ago I went on the late-night ghost tour at Port Arthur, and outside the surgeon's house I could smell the most awful chemical smell plus what smelled like dead meat.  Only to find later that one of the most common 'manifestations' at the house is smells, usually of formaldehyde, and that it's usually people with a medical/nursing background that smell it.  They've even had harsh complaints from tour guests about their use of toxic chemicals as props.  The thing is, they don't use props at all. 

I was a nurse at the time, and as I mentioned, I had no idea what formaldehyde smelled like because I just can't smell it.  Several other nurses in the tour also noticed the smell too.

The surgeon used to perform autopsies on dead prisoners in the cellar of the house, hence the link with formaldehyde and dead meat.  The stone autopsy slab is still there.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5227 on: May 21, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »
^Adding Port Arthur to my list of places to visit.

Lots of roadkill in our area lately.  :-X

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5228 on: May 21, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
http://www.portarthur.org.au/

Beautiful, creepy, sad. 

I went there once with Ex and Housemate, Housemate got poked in the back rather firmly.  Nobody around at all.  It was in the middle of the day too.  At night it's beyond creepy.

One day I'm going to do the ghost hunt.  One day... 

BarensMom

« Reply #5229 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »
The formaldehyde posts and yesterday reminded me (unfortunately) of this:

My parents are interred in an indoor mausoleum.  The last time I went in, the place had just been unlocked and it hadn't been aired out for the day.  I almost gagged at the sickly-sweet, chemical smell that practically hit me in the face, but I had silk flowers to place.  While walking through there and while placing the flowers, I kept having to swat "gnats" away from my face.  Then one landed and I realized it was larger and had longer rear legs than your common gnat.  After I got home, I googled and that fly was a "coffin fly." (Look them up on Wikipedia.)  I haven't been back inside since - I now park outside the mausoleum and pay my respects while sitting inside the car.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5230 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
That sounds like a serious maintenance problem, and possibly an issue to bring to the local regulators of such things.

I can't help but think of an NCIS episode, where a semi-occupied spot in an indoor mausoleum is being opened to allow a 2nd person to be interred. The panel is stuck, and when the bolt holding it is finally loosened, there is quite a blast of disgustingness. Seems someone had illicitly stashed someone else in that slot, and had not done so in a safe manner.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5231 on: May 22, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
^ Exactly what I thought of!

BarensMom

« Reply #5232 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
That sounds like a serious maintenance problem, and possibly an issue to bring to the local regulators of such things.

I can't help but think of an NCIS episode, where a semi-occupied spot in an indoor mausoleum is being opened to allow a 2nd person to be interred. The panel is stuck, and when the bolt holding it is finally loosened, there is quite a blast of disgustingness. Seems someone had illicitly stashed someone else in that slot, and had not done so in a safe manner.

I saw that episode - now that was the epitome of gross!

As to my post, I e-mailed the cemetery and sent a cc to the county health department.  Never heard a word back.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5233 on: June 08, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
I woke up with a terrible backache this morning.  I pulled out my heating pad thinking I slept weird or just pulled a muscle.   Apparently it was just a huge gas bubble.   The heating pad loosened everything up and the farting had been nonstop all day. The farting itself isn't bothering me, it's the smell.   Dear deity, it's like I ate dozens of rotten eggs, broccoli, sauerkraut, plus something crawled up and died in my intestines.

You know it's bad when my DH and the cats leave flee the room. I have no idea what I ate that would have caused this,  but good gracious, it could be used as a chemical weapon. Unfortunately, I can't escape it.  GasX hasn't helped any either. :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5234 on: June 08, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
I woke up with a terrible backache this morning.  I pulled out my heating pad thinking I slept weird or just pulled a muscle.   Apparently it was just a huge gas bubble.   The heating pad loosened everything up and the farting had been nonstop all day. The farting itself isn't bothering me, it's the smell.   Dear deity, it's like I ate dozens of rotten eggs, broccoli, sauerkraut, plus something crawled up and died in my intestines.

You know it's bad when my DH and the cats leave flee the room. I have no idea what I ate that would have caused this,  but good gracious, it could be used as a chemical weapon. Unfortunately, I can't escape it.  GasX hasn't helped any either. :P
Well, put it to use then!  Rent a boat and hang over the stern, with your butt in the water.  Jet propulsion! ;)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~