Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 788285 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #5250 on: June 12, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
And you breathed a sigh of relief that you didn't have to deal with a clogged toilet too! I've been there.

mmswm

« Reply #5251 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
My middle son finally saw the regular orthopedist today and got a real cast put on his foot.  It has to stay on for four weeks.  Do you have any idea how bad stinky teenage boy feet will smell after four weeks in a cast?????
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5252 on: June 12, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
I broke my leg when I was 12, in 1981. I broke it while crossing the icy street from school and broke it very well.

My dad made me walk on it, because he didn't believe it was broken. So, instead of a simple fracture, it was a compound fracture of the tibia and required surgery. My dad didn't take me to the hospital, because he still didn't believe it was broken. He took me home, and we had to cut my boot off and cut the jeans I was wearing, because the swelling was so bad. He then called around getting recommendations for orthopaedic doctors, and drove me to three different hospitals before finding one where a certain doctor had privileges. They admitted me, took radiographs, and prepped me for surgery. I woke up in the middle. I kicked a nurse and they put me back under. They inserted a 2" long pin.

I woke up in post-op with a toe to hip cast, and had already bled through it. Twice more.

I ended up with three casts, and had the cast for 6 months. It itched constantly, so I used a fly swatter handle to scratch my leg. I had 2" long black hairs, no muscle mass and ghostly pale skin with nasty layers of dead skin on it.  Nothing like that to help the self confidence of a pre-teen girl!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5253 on: June 13, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
My friend has taken to calling herself the crypt keeper as her puppy, who is part Akita, part something else, and HUGE, has decided its his job to rid the yard of groundhogs. Leaving them for her to dispose of. She was out last night with a shovel at midnight.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5254 on: June 13, 2014, 03:21:32 PM »
My friend has taken to calling herself the crypt keeper as her puppy, who is part Akita, part something else, and HUGE, has decided its his job to rid the yard of groundhogs. Leaving them for her to dispose of. She was out last night with a shovel at midnight.

I feel her pain!  My Akitas have brought me squirrels over the years, but luckily nothing too gory.  My cats as a kid, on the other hand, often left me dead mice to step on as they were right outside the door.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

greencat

« Reply #5255 on: June 13, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »
My dog has decided that he is a prissy little puppy and he does.not.like being rained on.  He decided it's okay to just go out the dog door and not keep going off the porch when it's raining.  This is so very not okay.  He is a big dog.  It's like mucking a horse stall!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5256 on: June 13, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
I have recently had surgery, and as a result have a vinyl tube coming out of my body, leaking various sorts of body fluid.  It's a blasted nuisance, especially when it gets blocked by blood clots (or some other aggregate of cells.  :P )

But the SPLUT when we manage to work them along the tube and out into the collection bottle is very satisfying.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5257 on: June 13, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
I have recently had surgery, and as a result have a vinyl tube coming out of my body, leaking various sorts of body fluid.  It's a blasted nuisance, especially when it gets blocked by blood clots (or some other aggregate of cells.  :P )

But the SPLUT when we manage to work them along the tube and out into the collection bottle is very satisfying.

Yes, yes it is.    :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5258 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »
There is so much satisfaction to be had in unblocking a post-surgical drain.  Or clotted catheter. 

(why yes, my inner ex-nurse is getting nostalgic!)

Snooks

« Reply #5259 on: June 14, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
I broke my leg when I was 12, in 1981. I broke it while crossing the icy street from school and broke it very well.

My dad made me walk on it, because he didn't believe it was broken. So, instead of a simple fracture, it was a compound fracture of the tibia and required surgery. My dad didn't take me to the hospital, because he still didn't believe it was broken. He took me home, and we had to cut my boot off and cut the jeans I was wearing, because the swelling was so bad. He then called around getting recommendations for orthopaedic doctors, and drove me to three different hospitals before finding one where a certain doctor had privileges. They admitted me, took radiographs, and prepped me for surgery. I woke up in the middle. I kicked a nurse and they put me back under. They inserted a 2" long pin.

I woke up in post-op with a toe to hip cast, and had already bled through it. Twice more.

I ended up with three casts, and had the cast for 6 months. It itched constantly, so I used a fly swatter handle to scratch my leg. I had 2" long black hairs, no muscle mass and ghostly pale skin with nasty layers of dead skin on it.  Nothing like that to help the self confidence of a pre-teen girl!

I was given an information sheet which told me not to put anything down my cast to scratch because the skin gets thin and you risk breaking it and causing infection.  Thankfully mine was only my wrist and towards the end of the five weeks (in summer heat) my wrist had shrunk a bit so I could itch my hand with my finger.  DH said I was gross when I took great pleasure in dusting the dead skin onto my black t-shirt the day the cast was removed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5260 on: June 14, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
It was truly disgusting. I had to clean about 1/3" of skin off over three weeks to have normal skin and it was blindingly white.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5261 on: June 15, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »
So Ciaran kitty has just figured out how to hunt. What does he bring to our door as his first trophy? A small mouse? Nope. A baby animal, considering it is spring and there are lots of them running about? Nope. Whoever said "A large bird" would be correct. Oh, and the worst part? I am afraid of dead animals. Yeah. Thanks Ciaran. Thanks a lot. I got lucky in that my aunt cleaned up the uh... bird corpse.

Though I did do the proper thing and when he came in next I gave him lots and lots of praise for a job well done.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5262 on: June 15, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
You folks in NYC may want to avoid the Central park drinking fountains.  Some people seem to think that they're there to serve as dog bidets.

It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mmswm

« Reply #5263 on: June 15, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
Given that I have a large dog, the occasional animal corpse is to be expected.  However, having to clean up regurgitated gopher skulls encased in dog puke goes beyond my ability to deal with it nicely.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #5264 on: June 15, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »
Given that I have a large dog, the occasional animal corpse is to be expected.  However, having to clean up regurgitated gopher skulls encased in dog puke goes beyond my ability to deal with it nicely.

My mom makes me clean up the half-eaten chipmunks her poodle chases and snacks on. She just can't handle it, which is alright, but I wish she wouldn't stand there, flap her hands helplessly, and go "ewwwwww, you actually picked that up!" when I gather the bits into the pooper scooper...

Said poodle also had a sebaceous cyst recently. It had to be regularly squeezed for a few days, and it never erupted at the same angle once. Lots of face squirts...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~