News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 18, 2017, 04:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 1635624 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #6960 on: March 14, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »
Yeah - I used to go in and remove hair from the drain every time DD complained that the shower in the kids' bathroom was backing up around her ankles...long red-blonde hair on that gal's head.   The clogs were epic.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

jpcher

« Reply #6961 on: March 15, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
This is something I do every few months (once the water starts pooling) and yes, banana-sized wet hairballs are pretty gross.

I wonder if pouring drain-o or maybe even bleach down the drain every few weeks would alleviate the problem.

VorFemme

« Reply #6962 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
This is something I do every few months (once the water starts pooling) and yes, banana-sized wet hairballs are pretty gross.

I wonder if pouring drain-o or maybe even bleach down the drain every few weeks would alleviate the problem.

Nope - you need something formulated to melt the hair...which will say something about it not being a good idea to use "that often" because it could potentially damage the pipes.

What I have seen suggested is to get a hair strainer for the shower instead, then peel it off the top of what is more or less a bit of screen laid over the drain.  Done daily or even every couple of days, it doesn't have time to develop that slime thing...and if you use a bit of tissue, it doesn't snarl up around a finger or get snagged in a cracked nail.

I don't like switching out strain and plug in the bathtub, thought....so I have to go in with a plastic toothed strip the length of my forearm & hand ever so often to remove the clog while small and "not slimy".

chigger

« Reply #6963 on: March 15, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »

I wouldn't put draino in my tub or shower, and bleach won't help. You can put a mesh screen over your drain,or if you want easier cleaning there is a product called a Zip-It that you just stick down the drain and pull the gunk out. It works very,very well!

chigger

« Reply #6964 on: March 15, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »

Nope - you need something formulated to melt the hair...which will say something about it not being a good idea to use "that often" because it could potentially damage the pipes.

What I have seen suggested is to get a hair strainer for the shower instead, then peel it off the top of what is more or less a bit of screen laid over the drain.  Done daily or even every couple of days, it doesn't have time to develop that slime thing...and if you use a bit of tissue, it doesn't snarl up around a finger or get snagged in a cracked nail.

I don't like switching out strain and plug in the bathtub, thought....so I have to go in with a plastic toothed strip the length of my forearm & hand ever so often to remove the clog while small and "not slimy".

We posted at the same time, and that's just the tool I'm talking about! Under $3 at the hardware store. They say to discard after one use, but I use it over and over.

VorFemme

« Reply #6965 on: March 15, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
Discard after one use in the bathtub?  I could see getting rid of it if I was getting a hair clog out of my toilet...but the tub or shower are not nearly that gross - and I can wash my hands & even run the Zip-It through the dishwasher on the top shelf if the hair clog was especially gross that day...

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6966 on: March 16, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
I've seen ads for the 'Tub Shroom' and the 'Sink Shroom'.  It is a little silicone thing that you put in your tub or sink drain.  The hair wraps around it and you just pull it out and use a tissue to take the hair off the thing.  It looks like it would work really, really well.  But unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in the shower drain.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

GreenHall

« Reply #6967 on: March 20, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
In "Things that Drive you up the wall" I mentioned I have a pimple inside my nose.  I cannot get to it to pop it.  I dont know how do deal with pimples and other spots other than popping them.

The Last time I had a pimple (type thing) it was a stye (as far as my memory of google serves me, a pimple on my eyelid/last folicle).  It was big enough that I could feel it scraping my eye. (Hence why this in is gross out, I know some people have issues with eyes.  It was a pretty cringe worthy experience.)

I did finally get that popped (I know, probably a terrible thing to do to my eye, but way better for my mental health than that scraping...(shudder)

KimberlyM

« Reply #6968 on: March 20, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
In "Things that Drive you up the wall" I mentioned I have a pimple inside my nose.  I cannot get to it to pop it.  I dont know how do deal with pimples and other spots other than popping them.

The Last time I had a pimple (type thing) it was a stye (as far as my memory of google serves me, a pimple on my eyelid/last folicle).  It was big enough that I could feel it scraping my eye. (Hence why this in is gross out, I know some people have issues with eyes.  It was a pretty cringe worthy experience.)

I did finally get that popped (I know, probably a terrible thing to do to my eye, but way better for my mental health than that scraping...(shudder)

A paperclip can sometimes get the in the nose ones you can't get to.  The press it around the pimple (a paperclip is a bit like one of those blackhead tools) and it'll let loose, granted it does so in your nose and is rather unpleasant, but it wont hurt anymore!

VorFemme

« Reply #6969 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
I have been able to get at a couple on the septum in my nose by very careful use of fingernails, a hair pin (heavy metal - not the thin wire) to use instead of a blackhead removal tool, and a small paperclip might work as a substitute, depending on the size of the pimple.

I have gotten some plugged ducts in the "bags under my eyes" unplugged with lots of moisturizer and then extremely careful pressure with the tips of my fingernails to either side of the *white stuff* until most of it was no longer in lumps under the skin.  Nobody but me notices it - but I think it makes me feel five years younger...

Having a cluster of bumps in the bag under one eye where it shows up being framed by my glasses lenses...was personally very upsetting & distracting. 

But the area is about as delicate as any place and it was not somewhere where I was going to use main strength to get the lumps out...delicacy and barely any pressure but pin-point focus was the key for that one.

Same thing on the black head that had my septum swollen to twice the usual size - tips of the fingers just to either side of where it hurt & I could see the tiny black head...pressure and suddenly, it was no longer a tiny black head...it was a long thread coiling out...it was at least as long as any of the hairs in the area...which may not be very long...compared to the ones on my head, but a pimple threading out almost 1/4 of an inch long is longer than I want to think about while I'm doing anything inside my nose...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6970 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »

A paperclip can sometimes get the in the nose ones you can't get to.  The press it around the pimple (a paperclip is a bit like one of those blackhead tools) and it'll let loose, granted it does so in your nose and is rather unpleasant, but it wont hurt anymore!

I've successfully used a large bobby pin. This works well for the odd ear pimples as well. I'd like to take credit for it, but my nana taught me the trick.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

JoW

« Reply #6971 on: March 20, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
The black head removal tool is available at drug stores, in the cosmetics department. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6972 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
I bought a set in a case for $9 on Amazon. My son kept claiming I had a black head in my ear. It is a freckle!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6973 on: March 20, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »
I have been able to get at a couple on the septum in my nose by very careful use of fingernails, a hair pin (heavy metal - not the thin wire) to use instead of a blackhead removal tool, and a small paperclip might work as a substitute, depending on the size of the pimple.

I have gotten some plugged ducts in the "bags under my eyes" unplugged with lots of moisturizer and then extremely careful pressure with the tips of my fingernails to either side of the *white stuff* until most of it was no longer in lumps under the skin.  Nobody but me notices it - but I think it makes me feel five years younger...

Having a cluster of bumps in the bag under one eye where it shows up being framed by my glasses lenses...was personally very upsetting & distracting. 

But the area is about as delicate as any place and it was not somewhere where I was going to use main strength to get the lumps out...delicacy and barely any pressure but pin-point focus was the key for that one.

Same thing on the black head that had my septum swollen to twice the usual size - tips of the fingers just to either side of where it hurt & I could see the tiny black head...pressure and suddenly, it was no longer a tiny black head...it was a long thread coiling out...it was at least as long as any of the hairs in the area...which may not be very long...compared to the ones on my head, but a pimple threading out almost 1/4 of an inch long is longer than I want to think about while I'm doing anything inside my nose...

I have discovered the greatest face mask ever for getting rid of yucky nose sebum and getting blackheads softened enough for easy removal...Milky Piggy Carbonated Clay Mask. I have great fun using it.  ;D

Also, I get milia, typically around my eyes. I remove them myself.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #6974 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:29 PM »

I have discovered the greatest face mask ever for getting rid of yucky nose sebum and getting blackheads softened enough for easy removal...Milky Piggy Carbonated Clay Mask. I have great fun using it.  ;D

Also, I get milia, typically around my eyes. I remove them myself.

I'm too scared to try to remove the milia around my eyes.  Both of messing up and of pain...