Author Topic: make-ahead gravy  (Read 1927 times)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
make-ahead gravy
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:18:03 PM »
Some brilliant person posted a recipe for turkey gravy you can make the day before.

My Christmas dinner for 12 has somehow morphed in 20 or more.  Whee!

kkl123

Re: make-ahead gravy
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »
here's mine:

turkey neck, backbone, and giblets, coarsely hacked into 2" pieces
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 carrot, cut in 1" chunks
1 medium onion, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 to 6 garlic cloves (depending on how folks feel about garlic), whole
2 cans Swanson low-sodium chicken broth (28 ounces)
2 c white wine or 1/2 c apple juice + 1.5 c water
3 c water
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 c all purpose flour

Heat the oven to 450; toss the turkey bits and veggies with the oil in a roasting pan and roast 40-50 min, or until well browned.  Remove from oven and put the pan on the stove top; add chicken broth, bay leaf and bring to a boil, scraping all the bits from the bottom of the pan.

Transfer everything to a big saucepan and add wine and water; bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer; reduce volume by half.  Strain the  stock, cool to room temp so the fat congeals.  discard everything in the strainer.

Skim fat and reserve it.  Bring the stock back to a boil.  In a second big saucepan, heat up 4 Tbsp of reserved fat, and stir in 1/4 c of flour to make  a roux.  Cook about 2 min, whisking constantly, till the flour mixture is starting to turn golden -- closer to honey than pancake syrup color.  Whisk in the hot broth a little at a time; bring to a boil and then reduce heat to  low and simmer for a couple of minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Makes about 1 qt.  Can be doubled. 

If you're short on turkey parts for a crowd, or you're working with a processed turkey product with  no giblets, etc., then substitute 1/2 lb of turkey thigh or drumstick, hacked, for the specified bits to be roasted
in this recipe. 

Refrigerate gravy up to three days; reheat over medium-low heat.

-----
There's also the America's Test Kitchen all-purpose gravy that's made from
veggies and a combination of canned beef and chicken broth -- you'll have to register for the recipe, but it's a good one to have "in your back pocket" for cooking for crowds: http://americastestkitchen.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=1662&iSeason=5

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 09:30:45 PM »
I ended up using chicken broth and then adding the turkey drippings the day of.  Turned out really good!

Thanks for the recipe.  Anything to simply Turkey Day. ;-)

kkl123

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:29:40 PM »
> Thanks for the recipe. 

You're welcome.

> Anything to simply Turkey Day. ;-)

Amen to that!  8-)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »
here's mine:

Would you be willing to add this recipe to the Cookbook Project folder?  Anything to help reduce hospitality stress is a winner for me.

kkl123

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 01:14:48 AM »
Be glad to.