Author Topic: hosting 2nd party ever, please look over, critique & suggest  (Read 2587 times)

Saki_Fiz

Re: hosting 2nd party ever, please look over, critique & suggest
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
Just a wine suggestion for you:  Barefoot Wines

They're inexpensive but verrrry good; award winners. 

barefootwine.com if you want to check out the different varietals... and yes, they're a california winery.

I love love love their sparkling chardonnay.   I'm trying to get my wedding venue to price it for me for the toasts.

If you are organizing the tasting part, have your guests taste the wines from lightest to darkest. Keeps your palate from going into overload.

I wanted to mention that I have a hard time switching to white after a red, but I didn't know if it was an official thing or not.  So thank you for posting that!

Just  a tiny suggestion for food... I know lots of people that enjoy dark chocolate with red wine.  So perhaps a small bowl of chocolate candies would be nice.

ETA:  I think your party sounds like a lot of fun.   :)  Make sure to let us know which wines "win"!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:04:19 AM by Saki_Fiz »

Sibby

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »
Thanks, both of you!

You know I had thought of chocolate & forgot it, I'll add that to my list, I have a Whole Foods near me that sells amazing 78% coaco dark chocolate for very reasonable prices that breaks into perfect bite size pieces.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 07:33:24 PM »
I haven't purchased all my wine yet (suggestions welcome, sticking to Californias) but plan to have about 22 bottles.  I know some guests plan to bring a bottle (even though I have indicated it's not necessary).

Sounds lovely.  Let me recommend some of our favorite California wines: Guglielmo and Bargetto. We belong to both of their wine clubs and have not gotten a bad bottle yet.  Whenever I go to my official workplace, I stop by Guglielmo since they're right down the road from my lab.  The last time I went, they had a few bottles left of their 7-year port that is just fantastic.

Edited to add: Opolo.  Their Mountain Zinfandel is wonderful!

Now that I've contributed to the party, where's my invitation?!?!?  :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:56:32 PM by artk2002 »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

falanghina

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 09:49:57 PM »
Your party sounds like it will be wonderful!!

I think that if your goal is to have a fun, wine-themed event then you don't really need to worry about some of the things that are required for a more formal tasting. I'm guessing that your guests will actually be drinking their wine samples and not spitting them out (?) If so, then their palates will be flagging after about 3-4 wines. I would suggest serving food throughout the tasting and take frequent breaks so you and your guests can enjoy the wines more as you go along. I probably would also taste fewer than 15 wines so that your guests don't get overwhelmed. They can always go back and "revisit" their favorites after the official tasting is over.
I totally agree with above posters that you should pour lightest to heaviest flavor profiles (and bubbles to start always seems to go over well ;)). If you do, you don't need extra glassware, and your guests who want to rinse their glasses between wines can do so with the water that you're already providing.
Also, if you can, throw something exotic and interesting in as a "bonus wine".
You have put so much thought into this get-together, your guests are sure to have a great time. Lucky folks!

Sibby

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice!  The party was this past Saturday and it was fab!  About 25 people showed up.  I had 30 wine glasses which was more than enough as about  5-6 people didn't drink wine at all, and everyone else just used the same glass over & over.

I had about 9 different cheeses and started with 9 varieties of wine (multiple bottles of each.  Of course many guests brought wine (and insisted we open them & try them right then).  Most of the food (cheese, crudite, sausage slices, olives, etc) were either replenished mid-way or done by end of night, so I guess they were popular.

I had numerous printouts & cutout of wine factiods scattered throughout my living & dining rooms which were fun.

My two favorites from the evening (each were very affordable, under $10) were:
White: Century Cellers Sauvanguan (sp) Blanc
Red: Raging Bull Zinfindel

FYI if anyone is planning on having one yourself, the whole party cost me just under $350.  And whoo-hoo!  I now have several bottles of wine left over to enjoy later (and several opened bottles to enjoy soon).

twinkletoes

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 12:22:13 PM »
I'm glad to hear it went so well!  That's really cool.  I especially liked that you could have a neat party for a little over $10 pp - that's the way to go!