Author Topic: I'm looking for good ice cream recipes  (Read 1171 times)

mlkind1789

I'm looking for good ice cream recipes
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:48:09 AM »
I just bought an ice cream maker so that I can make my own at home and now I'm looking for recipes for it.  So far we've been experimenting with adding fruit to plain vanilla, but I'd like to be a little more adventurous.  Last weekend we made mango ice cream by adding diced magoes to vanilla and this weekend the girls want to make kiwi-strawberry ice cream, so I guess we'll try that one too. 

I just like that I can make a gallon of ice cream at home for less that I can buy a half gallon in the store andd that I control what goes into it.  No preservatives and no crazy chemicals, only what I put into it. I'm thinking of trying an apple pie one with diced apples, cinnamon and nutmeg, and graham crackers. 

Any recipes and ideas you could pass along would be great.  Thanks in advance!

suzyqmit

Re: I'm looking for good ice cream recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
My favorite strawberry ice cream.  This is incredibly easy!
Slice 1 pint of strawberries.  Place in a bowl with 1/2 c sugar and the juice of 1 lemon.  Leave to macerate for an hour or so.
Mix 2 c heavy cream and 2 c half and half with 1 c sugar.  Add the strawberries and any liquid in the bowl.
Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
I've had my ice cream maker for years, and I love it. It's a shock to read the ingredients on store-bought ice cream and see the junk that goes in!

I mainly make chocolate chip ice cream - just chop up some good dark chocolate into crumbs and add it to plain vanilla when the ice cream is just starting to freeze. I've also added chopped-up snickers bars to good effect.

My plain-vanilla recipe uses two egg yolks, so I ended up with a lot of spare egg whites in my freezer. Four egg whites makes a good batch of meringues -- serve with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce or fresh raspberries.

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
What about some nice maple buttered pecan?

melt a tablespoon or two of butter in a pan; add 1/2 c chopped pecans, sprinkle with brown sugar, and cook until nicely toasted but NOT burned; set aside to cool

strain 3 egg yolks into a mixing bowl to get the white membrane off

cook 1 cup maple syrup to soft ball stage (234 degrees F), pour SLOWLY into egg yolks while beating egg yolks.  continue beating sticky egg yolk syrup mixture until cooled and thickened.  add 1 1/2 cups cream and 1/2 cup milk and whisk.  add a pinch of salt if desired.

chill (it's better if pre chilled) and pour into ice cream maker.  add pecans when ice cream is nearly done.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:35:47 AM »
One I just made up:

1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cocoa (get the good stuff - with chocolate it matters)
ridiculous amounts of vanilla

Whiz through blender, add 2 cups whipping cream and whiz again.  Pour into ice cream maker and do the thing until it's slightly set, then dump in a package of white chocolate chips.  Continue to stir until the ice cream is frozen and the chips are evenly distributed.

Sooooo good.

RuneGuardian

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
How about garlic butter ice cream?  ;D

Okay, seriously. What about something like peanut butter and Oreo? I don't know if you're going for more helthy flavorings, but I know peanut butter and Oreos is a popular combination. Also, I don't know why, but Oreos and caramel sound like they'd go together good in ice cream.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a special kind of rock salt involved in making home-made ice cream? I recall making ice cream for a project when I was in elementary school, and I remember everyone eating the rock salt in the baggies used to make the ice cream.

alli_wan

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:42:51 PM »
Now I'm going to have to go read the back of the ice cream container.  I don't recall anything that outlandish, much less 'harmful chemicals' in it, but being a biologist, I can usually identify what the odd ingredients are.

(Although we did find a lab chemical was an ingredient in a certain popular candy.  Cracked us up.)