News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 30, 2015, 05:35:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When Starbucks is out of coffee...  (Read 2104 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: When Starbucks is out of coffee...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if it is during the posted open business hours then they need to do whatever is necessary to accomodate the customer (within reason). That, to me, would include brewing a pot of coffee, even if it meant risking that some would be wasted. They are a coffee shop; that is the product they sell. If they don't have everything available for some reason, then they need to make what they have on hand available and hope that they can satisfy their customers that way. It's just the cost of doing business.

And if a restaurant has turned off it's grills 1/2 hour before closing, then they are bad at business. If I show up at 9:30 and they don't close until 10, they had better be prepared to cook and serve whatever is on the menu. The cutoff point for any food service is the time the restaurant closes, not 30 minutes before. If they want to stop serving at 9:30 then they need to make that their closing time.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 01:52:49 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if it is during the posted open business hours then they need to do whatever is necessary to accomodate the customer (within reason). That, to me, would include brewing a pot of coffee, even if it meant risking that some would be wasted. They are a coffee shop; that is the product they sell. If they don't have everything available for some reason, then they need to make what they have on hand available and hope that they can satisfy their customers that way. It's just the cost of doing business.

And if a restaurant has turned off it's grills 1/2 hour before closing, then they are bad at business. If I show up at 9:30 and they don't close until 10, they had better be prepared to cook and serve whatever is on the menu. The cutoff point for any food service is the time the restaurant closes, not 30 minutes before. If they want to stop serving at 9:30 then they need to make that their closing time.

Unfortunately, it's not the workers who make the rules. And corporate in their ivory towers know best, don't 'cha know. The workers just get the backlash and abuse (and from both ends; customers and corporate).

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
Oh, I know and definitely don't fault the workers!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Carotte

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
I can understand the rule during normal times, the expresso machine is here if there is a need for cafein.
But if the expresso is out having a pot of drip coffe seems like a perfectly reasonable choice. The cost of one pot, even for two customers, would quickly offset the loss and bad impression left with half a dozen other customers.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 02:14:42 PM »
Oh, I know and definitely don't fault the workers!

I didn't think you would since you know about etiquette and we also talk about service work a lot. :)

If I rule the world, I would make it a law that all these type of businesses schedule and pay workers for the 30-60 minutes after the place closes so customers can get full service until the end and the workers don't have to stress and take abuse.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »

I don't think that's quite fair - I have no problem with restaurants having a posted "last orders" time, as long as it actually is posted clearly. Sort of a soft close time, to allow diners to finish, with a hard close when the last diners have to be out. Otherwise you end up with diners still tying to eat after the actual closing time.

nuit93

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »

Most smaller shops will do that.  Corporate chains, however, do not often have that kind of flexibility as they are required to adhere to certain standards.  If the girl in question wasn't a manager, she could have been putting her job at risk for not following rules.

lowspark

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »

I don't think that's quite fair - I have no problem with restaurants having a posted "last orders" time, as long as it actually is posted clearly. Sort of a soft close time, to allow diners to finish, with a hard close when the last diners have to be out. Otherwise you end up with diners still tying to eat after the actual closing time.

I've always been under the impression that "closing time" for a restaurant is the time at which the kitchen closes and that there is always the possibility of people still in the restaurant eating as of the official closing time. So yeah, if the kitchen closes at 10 and you order at 9:30 and the food arrives at 9:45, you might still be eating after 10. And certainly no one's going to expect you to shovel your food in hurriedly and suddenly stand up at 10:00 sharp and run out the door.

Otherwise how would it work? How could you post a closing time of 10:00 and when customers arrive at 9:30, turn them away claiming that it's too late to order food since that might entail them being there past closing?

I guess you could post a "last orders" time but I'm pretty sure I've never seen that in any restaurant I've ever been in.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

lowspark

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
I think in this case the problem was one of two things:

Either Starbucks doesn't empower their employees to make these kinds of decisions on the fly or this particular employee didn't have the gumption to do so.

It could be that Starbucks says, "These are the hard and fast rules and no matter what happens, don't go against them." Sort of a policy of "You're not paid to think. Just do as you're told." There are plenty of jobs where this is communicated to the workers; I have no idea if Starbucks is one of them.

But if Starbucks does empower their employees to make decisions as needed in order to provide excellent customer service, then the fault lies with this particular barista who was unable to think outside the box.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

shortstuff

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »

I've always been under the impression that "closing time" for a restaurant is the time at which the kitchen closes and that there is always the possibility of people still in the restaurant eating as of the official closing time. So yeah, if the kitchen closes at 10 and you order at 9:30 and the food arrives at 9:45, you might still be eating after 10. And certainly no one's going to expect you to shovel your food in hurriedly and suddenly stand up at 10:00 sharp and run out the door.

Otherwise how would it work? How could you post a closing time of 10:00 and when customers arrive at 9:30, turn them away claiming that it's too late to order food since that might entail them being there past closing?

I guess you could post a "last orders" time but I'm pretty sure I've never seen that in any restaurant I've ever been in.

I've seen that plenty of times, mostly in late-night restaurants with bars.  Usually it's worded Open til 2, dinner menu 6-10pm, bar menu until 1:30am.  And the bar menu would be smaller portions, limited choices, quick fried foods that don't take long to make. 

I have seen this happen in other places where it was not posted, such as an eat-in deli we went to shortly before close (I don't remember the exact timing).  When we went up to order, they told us they couldn't do hot sandwiches since the grill and deep fryer were closed, but any deli-meat sandwich could be made.  I was a bit surprised at first, but we were able to find something to order.  I'm not sure if this is analogous to the OP though, it'd be more like running out of bread. 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »

I'm of the same opinion.

My son worked part time in the kitchen of a fast food restaurant during high school. If a customer walked in at 2 minutes to closing they were always entitled to order anything off the entire menu.

As an aside, there are two petrol stations (different brands) near me that I've pulled into a few times to discover didn't have any petrol at that time. That is really off. They had diesel, but not normal petrol.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
I think in this case the problem was one of two things:

Either Starbucks doesn't empower their employees to make these kinds of decisions on the fly or this particular employee didn't have the gumption to do so.

It could be that Starbucks says, "These are the hard and fast rules and no matter what happens, don't go against them." Sort of a policy of "You're not paid to think. Just do as you're told." There are plenty of jobs where this is communicated to the workers; I have no idea if Starbucks is one of them.

But if Starbucks does empower their employees to make decisions as needed in order to provide excellent customer service, then the fault lies with this particular barista who was unable to think outside the box.

I was thinking the bolded when I read the post. If she was shaking and flustered I bet she would have made that drip coffee if she thought that she could. Maybe she was yelled at during a previous shift for making drip coffee too close to closing, or she was new and didn't know what to do. Either way, poor girl. I always get so mad when I see entitled people being nasty or rude to service sector people, it never helps the situation.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 09:41:59 AM »
Well, to be fair, you didn't go to a coffee shop, you said you went to a grocery store that has a Starbucks coffee counter. In my experience, she's probably a grocery store employee -- possibly trained by Starbucks to make their coffee, or maybe just trained by the grocery store to pour and ring up customers at that spot in the store.

Our granddaughters worked for a Subway owner had two stores, one free-standing and one in Walmart. They rotated between the two shops and were definitely Subway employees with the uniforms, training, and paychecks indicating Subway.

Allyson

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 12:14:47 PM »
When I worked at a sandwich place we ran out of 3 of our 4 types of bread once. That was not fun to explain to people...

FadingAmaranth

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 06:06:27 PM »
The café in the bookstore where I work had a broken espresso machine for a day (less than really). People were really nasty about it despite the fact that there was a Starbucks actually in the same parking lot, one building down (mall). Chances are people didn't want regular coffee and that's why there was none left. I honestly don't think the girl should have had to brew a pot for one person. Now if a lot of people had been asking for it...I could see it.

I also think people are entitled to order things as long as a business is open...but it's not a positive kind of entitled.

I'm sorry, I think it's terrible rude to come into a place really close to close and get a lot of stuff. We've had people come in at 10:55 and order complicated drinks from the café, then have to run out of the car to get their payment because they forgot it. They don't leave the store until ten minutes after we were closed. I'm sorry, that's rude. And yeah, people might get paid for staying late but it's really not worth it. The pay is normally terrible to begin with and people want to get home to their families. If it's not something quick...it's rude. Going to sit down restaurant 30 minutes before close and expecting a sit down meal...it's rude and very entitled.