News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 10, 2016, 07:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In-Law Stories - The good, the bad and the wacky  (Read 144052 times)

JoW

Re: In-Law Stories - The good, the bad and the wacky
« Reply #720 on: November 03, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »
My name is Jessica, I have never ever gone by Jessy or Jess by family or friends. It's always just Jessica.
DH's parents know I don't like shortened versions of my name yet they (mostly his mother) still call me Jess. It irritates me every single time but I feel that since we've been together 12 years, correcting her every time might seem a bit rude. Other than that I love spending time with DH's mom, we get along great. She is the only one that I have let that slide for though.

I know it's silly, but I already don't like my name and think the shortened versions sound like the name of a cheesy neighbor friend on a subpar sitcom.......
Evil JoW suggests you make a similar change to MIL's name and call her that a time or two.  Maybe MIL will catch on.   I don't let Evil JoW out very often. 

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #721 on: November 04, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »
We moved a lot when I was growing up.  When I got tired of being called a common name/nickname (Lisa, actually) for my generation (guaranteed to be a least one in every classroom besides me...sometimes two or three more...I switched to a variation that combined my middle name and the nickname.  Big mistake - it got mispronounced a lot...we moved three months later and I never wenty by that nickname again.  Easier to go back to Lisa until I was in my teens and asked to go by the middle name.  Very, very few other people...most people I've seen in one room with that name was three - we were the president, vice president, and secretary (me) of the booster club in high school for three years...only time there were more than two in the room, as it were.

Now - same name - back to being the "only one in the room" although one friend's daughter has the same name...and I hear that name being called out in stores once in a while...just not to me, most of the time.

Grandmother called me by the earlier name from her late 80s until she died - decided that Grandma could call me any name that she liked - as long as "she didn't call me late to the table"!  She had several mini-strokes and I was just glad that she still remembered who I was.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

dont blink

• softballs
  • Never argue with the data.
« Reply #722 on: December 05, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »
Long time lurker. Made it through all 49 pages felt it was time for my first post. This is one of my mother's favorite stories to tell.

Both my parents lucked out in the in-law lottery. It must have been my first Thanksgiving, some forty odd years ago, and Mom made the two hour trek from the Twin Cities to northern Minnesota where she and Dad grew up, the Monday before. Dad was going to catch the Greyhound after work on Wednesday and she'd pick him up at the A&W that night. They grew up in two different towns only twenty-thirty minutes apart.

The plan was for us to spend Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning with Grandpa and Grandma B (Dad's parents) and then go to Grandpa and Grandma H's (Mom's parents). Grandpa and Grandma H were hosting Thanksgiving that year (hosting rotated between the Grandmothers and our house).  She arrived mid-afternoon Monday along with my older sister (2 1/2 yo at the time) and me. After unpacking the car and getting everyone settled, Grandpa B turns to my mother and asks her where in blue blazes are her hat and gloves. Sheepishly, she pulls out a threadbare pair of wool mittens and a hat.

Mom and Dad were just starting out. Money was tight. Dad was working both his day job and a side job. Mom was a SAHM who did music lessons on the side to make extra money. They always put our comfort before theirs.  :)

Grandpa B mutters something along the line of "this being unacceptable" and tells Mom to put her coat back on (nowhere's near warm enough for a Minnesota winter), they're going to town. Mom says he takes her to the one "good" department store in town and proceeds to buy her the biggest, warmest goose down jacket he could find along with heavy, fur-lined boots, gloves, hats and scarves (he had beat Mom's parents to the punch, Grandma H was going to take her shopping later that week, instead she took Dad to the men's store and got him a good winter coat and a good dress coat).

Mom said she was almost in tears leaving the store. You didn't argue with Grandpa B. As he told her, "it may not be fashionable but you ain't gonna freeze" and every Christmas, even when he succumbed to Alzheimer's (it was one of the few things he could remember clearly) he made sure she got a new pair of fur-lined gloves and a new pretty scarf.  And after he passed away, Grandma B took care of the tradition until she passed away.

NutellaNut

« Reply #723 on: December 05, 2016, 10:36:40 PM »
Dont Blink, that is a wonderful story!

Mustard

« Reply #724 on: December 06, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
And now, Dont Blink, I've got something in my eye.... A lovely story!

LadyDyani

« Reply #725 on: December 06, 2016, 07:15:40 AM »
Darn onion ninjas.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Susiqzer

« Reply #726 on: December 06, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »
Darn onion ninjas.

Ack, they're here too!

What a lovely story!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #727 on: December 06, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »
Darn onion ninjas.

Ack, they're here too!

What a lovely story!

I am trying not to cry at work

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #728 on: December 06, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »
Y'all, stop peeling the onions already.  :'(

Don't Blink, that was very sweet. You're right - both of your parents had great in-laws!

gmatoy

« Reply #729 on: December 06, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
You know, I think everyone who is thinking of getting married (or their children are) should read this kind of thing and decide: which kind of in-law do I wanted to be/ want to have?

I got the worst MIL, and have spent over 16 years trying to be the opposite.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #730 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »
And that doesn't always work either - I wished my MIL would be more involved with her grandchildren, and I didn't really understand why she didn't seem to want to do things with them, or why she never seemed to have an opinion about what we did. Then I learned that her MIL had been interfering and 'you're bringing up my my grandkids all wrong!' and all became clear - she had sworn that she wouldn't do to her DIL what her own MIL had done.

gmatoy

« Reply #731 on: December 06, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »
And that doesn't always work either - I wished my MIL would be more involved with her grandchildren, and I didn't really understand why she didn't seem to want to do things with them, or why she never seemed to have an opinion about what we did. Then I learned that her MIL had been interfering and 'you're bringing up my my grandkids all wrong!' and all became clear - she had sworn that she wouldn't do to her DIL what her own MIL had done.

Well, when "opposite" means do not lie to your child about their spouse, do not bash your grandchild's mother to the grandchild, do not have favorites (well, that one was easy for me: I only have one grandchild) and on and on and on...it is easy to do the opposite!

I always offer to help, but only once in case I'm getting in the way.  I told them to ask me because I would only offer once, but would help forever.
I always compliment the parents about their child and their parenting because I truly think they are terrific parents.
I never ask the other child and spouse about having children. None of my business.

I have been blessed by my children and their families. I hope they know how much. I have tried to express that in the past. (Right now, I can not say that type of thing, because my DS feels like I'm "making my peace" and preparing to die! My breast cancer has scared him into not thinking clearly!)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #732 on: December 07, 2016, 05:51:33 AM »
I know DF thinks he lucked out in the in-law department.  He's the one who made the suggestion that my Dad move in with us, when he's ready.  And he really likes my brother and nephews.

At least with his parents, I'm doing OK, too.  They can be a little needy sometimes, in terms of getting stuff done around the house but DF spent years not being there for them at all and wants to be there for them now.  Which I don't have a problem with, for the most part, especially now that we only live 5 minutes away.  They aren't the drop in without an invitation type, which is great.  His brother?  Whole other story...  But we don't have a lot of interaction, even though they only live about 5 minutes away, too.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Ginger G

« Reply #733 on: December 07, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
My DH was married before, and his ex-mother-in-law was quite the charmer (not!). A few things he has told me:  DH did a complicated artistic tile floor in her kitchen, she had a party not long after and every time someone complimented the floor, she would give all the credit to her husband (who had absolutely zero to do with it).

When DH and ex-wife had their twin girls, she told DH he had to get rid of his cat because "it would steal the babies' breath", she wasn't joking either (he did not get rid of the cat).

She is one of those people that goes to a restaurant, treats the waitstaff horribly, complains about everything (after inhaling her entire meal) so she can get her meal free, even though she is very well off. He eventually refused to eat out with her.

She faked a break-in at her house to file a fraudulent insurance claim. When DH threatened to tell the police, she said she would have him killed. She was completely serious, and he truly did believe she would do it. She eventually convinced DH's wife to leave him and take the kids, and has used her money to deny him all but the bare minimum visitation rights.

He is extra thankful for my mother, and they get along great. I think he actually calls her and sees more of her than I do.

Shalamar

« Reply #734 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
My daughter is currently co-starring in a play for her university.  My MIL said that she wanted to go.   My husband and I went this past Sunday, and we invited her and FIL to join us, but they couldn't - they were already busy.  Fair enough.   My husband told her when the other performances would be (they continue until next Saturday).  MIL said that they'd go Monday night.  Wouldn't you know it - there's no performance Monday night.  But that shouldn't be a problem, right?  There were 5 more opportunities to go (Tuesday to Saturday).  Nope!  MIL said that they're busy every single night, which wouldn't be a big deal, except that she's now blaming my husband somehow for the fact that they can't go. 

(Personally, I think that if it were really important to her, she'd cancel/postpone her other plans.  But that's just me.)