News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 07:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two potential jobs - problem  (Read 827 times)

shadowfox79

Two potential jobs - problem
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:14:29 AM »
This isn't really etiquette so I'm putting it here.

I finished my postgraduate course at the end of May and am now looking for a job. While I'm hoping for something in the field I've been training in for the past year, jobs are a bit thin on the ground, so I'm also looking for temp work. I initially signed up with a local agency but a couple of others saw my CV on the Reed website and have been looking out for me as well.

Now I have an interview set up tomorrow for a temp job which isn't great money but does use my previous work experience, and my original agency has just contacted me with a better temp job - no interview - to start next week, assuming HR sign it off. This is apparently almost done but obviously may still fall through.

So now I'm stuck. I don't want to accept a job tomorrow and then promptly ditch it when the better job comes through, but I also don't want to refuse it and find myself lumbered with no job. And frankly it's going to be awkward anyway, because I feel badly for the recruitment consultant who's sending me for this job which I may well turn down.

Any thoughts on how I manoeuvre my way through this?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Two potential jobs - problem
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:21:11 AM »
If you're just going for an interview, then you may not get the first job right away.  So I wouldn't say anything. 

If they do offer you the job right away, then you let them know that you need 48 hours or so as there is another offer on the table.  Then contact job 2 and let them know you have another offer on the table and need an answer by x date. 

Maryland

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
This isn't really etiquette so I'm putting it here.

I finished my postgraduate course at the end of May and am now looking for a job. While I'm hoping for something in the field I've been training in for the past year, jobs are a bit thin on the ground, so I'm also looking for temp work. I initially signed up with a local agency but a couple of others saw my CV on the Reed website and have been looking out for me as well.

Now I have an interview set up tomorrow for a temp job which isn't great money but does use my previous work experience, and my original agency has just contacted me with a better temp job - no interview - to start next week, assuming HR sign it off. This is apparently almost done but obviously may still fall through.

So now I'm stuck. I don't want to accept a job tomorrow and then promptly ditch it when the better job comes through, but I also don't want to refuse it and find myself lumbered with no job. And frankly it's going to be awkward anyway, because I feel badly for the recruitment consultant who's sending me for this job which I may well turn down.

Any thoughts on how I manoeuvre my way through this?

Remember that the recruiter is sending a lot of people to a lot of job interviews, most of which don't result in offers. They're not going to feel bad that they sent you for an interview if you aren't offered the job. The recruiting agency isn't a friend doing you a favor: they're playing the odds that if they send enough people on enough interviews, they'll make connections, people will be hired, and the recruiter will be paid for each successful placement.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

NFPwife

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
If you're just going for an interview, then you may not get the first job right away.  So I wouldn't say anything. 

If they do offer you the job right away, then you let them know that you need 48 hours or so as there is another offer on the table.  Then contact job 2 and let them know you have another offer on the table and need an answer by x date.

This! I know when I'm working with people on hiring that it can take 2-3 weeks to finish the process; even when we have an urgent need for staff in an area. I think you start the interviewing process and, if it advances suddenly, then you tell them you might have another offer and you need a bit of time before accepting. Most, if not all, employers would rather you take some time to thoughtfully consider instead of taking the job and quitting immediately because the better offer came up.

shadowfox79

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:43:13 AM »
Well, the interview went OK, but they did make it clear that they were interviewing all day (the agency gave the impression it was only me being interviewed, which made me think it was more of a done deal than it is) so I may not get it - we'll see. They did ask about other interviews and I let them know about the potential other job, but they're not going to get back to me before tomorrow whatever happens, so hopefully the better job will have sorted itself out by then.

I have also been offered an interview for a permanent job in a few weeks, just to confuse the issue further, but as that's not guaranteed it won't affect anything that happens this week.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »
Well, the interview went OK, but they did make it clear that they were interviewing all day (the agency gave the impression it was only me being interviewed, which made me think it was more of a done deal than it is) so I may not get it - we'll see. They did ask about other interviews and I let them know about the potential other job, but they're not going to get back to me before tomorrow whatever happens, so hopefully the better job will have sorted itself out by then.

I have also been offered an interview for a permanent job in a few weeks, just to confuse the issue further, but as that's not guaranteed it won't affect anything that happens this week.

As for the permanent job--do take a temp job if one is offered to you. If you interview for and get the permanent job, it is very easy to quit a temp job. That is a risk employers take when they hire temps--the temps can quit at any time, just as the employer can let them go at any time.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

CakeBeret

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
I would say be wary of a temp job that wants you to start with no interview. I accepted one after a few weeks of unemployment and it was the most miserable three weeks of my life. I was their 5th temp and the main issue was that the supervisor and boss were awful to work with and had unclear expectations of what they wanted in a temp.

So, I would say take the temp job only if you really need it and be aware that It may be so readily availavailable for a reason.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

shadowfox79

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 04:30:07 AM »
Well, that all ended badly.

The interview went fine, but they turned me down because they thought I'd get bored in the role, and the other job was taken away at the last minute and given to someone who had worked at that place before.

Back to looking again...

katycoo

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 04:51:16 AM »
bummer.  Ah well, onwards and upwards!