News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 31, 2016, 05:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is your profession?  (Read 2145 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: What is your profession?
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
I'll be a judicial clerk for the next year, then I'm aiming to be a family lawyer.

I spent most of a decade as an editor, primarily for newspapers, but also for a financial services company. I did lots of freelance work on online content and fiction and nonfiction books, too.

crella

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
This and that over the years! I taught English privately to groups of doctors at the local university hospital, then to children and adults at my home, and a class of retirees at the local community center until 1995. Then DH started his business and I worked there doing bookkeeping, salary etc after a training course. FIL and MIL became ill one after the other and I quit my office job when the caregiving/support went beyond grocery runs and help tidying up the house. I did the caregiving full time from 2003 until 2010 when she got to the point she needed round-the-clock care, and she went into a facility.

Since then I have been doing free-lance translating, as I can decide how much work I'll take on at any one time, and I can set my own timetable to an extent.   

Edit: Was overly wordy   :D

Do you mind if I ask what languages you speak? This fascinates me, as I love languages. The only other language I know (other than some words and phrases of Spanish and Haitian Creole) is American Sign language, and thankfully I don't need an interpreter anymore for myself.

I don't mind at all  :D I speak Japanese. I've lived in Japan quite a long time. Languages are fascinating, aren't they? I used to know enough German to get around (shopping, understanding news on TV (about 70% hearing ability), but as I haven't used it in over 30 years I think I've forgotten it all. I tried listening to a German news broadcast recently but was lost. Use it or lose it, I guess!

Ellayn

• Yay Dance!
    • Dancing Back in Time
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
I'm an episodic television and VR producer.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."  -- Wernher von Braun

Dancing Back in Time  My Historical Dance Company :)

KimberlyM

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
Legal Assistant/Paralegal for a personal injury firm

Hillia

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »
Business analyst for one of the major health insurance companies.  My department handles provider network management for. Mental health providers - getting them set up properly in our system so that their claims pay correctly.  I'm kind of in between the business people and the tech side, so I do a lot of interpreting between the two groups.  I'm starting to learn some project management now, which is interesting.

hjaye

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
I am a Senior System Advisor for for one of the big computing companies (hardware, software, consulting services, outsourcing)  I work on the Intel side of the house so I take care of Windows servers, and support applications that are based on an Intel platform.

learningtofly

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »
Project manager.  I've worked in a few areas, but where I am currently I love.  I've always wanted to help people and for the first time I really know that I affect people's lives in a positive way.

Bijou

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Project manager.  I've worked in a few areas, but where I am currently I love.  I've always wanted to help people and for the first time I really know that I affect people's lives in a positive way.
That was why I loved my job so much.  With six little ones of my own and being a single parent, I knew what  hardship was like and to be able to ease that a little for other families meant a lot to me.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
I work in medical education. Specifically, I am the program administrator for the nephrology and cardiovascular disease fellowships.

For those who are not familiar, everyone who graduates from medical school has to do a residency of some type before they can practice medicine. Usually, that is a three year internal medicine residency, but there are others (family practice, surgery, OB/GYN, etc.). If the doctor then wants to specialize in a particular field, they do a fellowship. When my fellows graduate, they are able to practice in their specialty, as opposed to primary care medicine.

So, we graduate cardiologists and nephrologists.

So the way to someone's heart is actually through their kidneys?

Huh. To think I had it wrong all these years. 😀
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #84 on: Yesterday at 11:22:42 AM »
That was why I loved my job so much.  With six little ones of my own and being a single parent, I knew what  hardship was like and to be able to ease that a little for other families meant a lot to me.

It is very satisfying to know that you're helping in some way.  I grew up in a family of tradesmen, always hearing about the dangers of industrial work, seeing my father and my uncles grim when someone was injured or killed on the job (it happens too much still.) It makes me glad to know that the things I build make it so that people are safer at work.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

POF

« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 12:42:12 PM »
Wow - its really intersting to see what everyone does.

I am a CPA and I am currently a Director of Financial Planning for a large New England Healthcare System.  I grew my job from the ground and developed / implemented every financial system.  I have a great team and we have been together for quite some time. 

It's very challenging  but I like math and computers and find healthcare very interesting,. 

Haltermare

« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 01:00:08 PM »
Breeding and farm manager on a horse farm.  I make baby horses! 😁
"Hunting vampires is not a catch and release sport." - Anita Blake

pattycake

« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 01:22:39 PM »
This thread just goes to show, etiquette is for everyone!  :D

Bijou

« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 04:21:47 PM »
I love this thread.  It's so interesting know a little more about our online friends.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.