News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 04, 2015, 12:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a fake tanner/spray tan for wedding? I'm clueless!  (Read 794 times)

Cali.in.UK

My sister is getting married and my MOH dress is beige with a purple undertone, I have very pale skin with freckles and moles that I always have covered up but the MOH dress has spaghetti straps. My arms are not very toned these days... I just saw the final product today and and I feel self-conscious about having my pale, multi-colored arms and back showing off to everyone. A few people have suggested a fake tan but I'm very clueless about this. I remember using a Jergen's tanning lotion about 15 years ago but I remember it didn't look very nice. I don't want a dark tan at all and I don't want anything that will rub off on my dress. Hopefully some readers know a good starting point for a fake tan newbie like me?? TIA!

BigBadBetty

I would recommend going to a professional. It's hard to get the elbows and knees to look good. I haven't tried the stuff in years so maybe it's better than it used to be. I had the best luck with the stuff that only had a little bit of self tanner in it. It was mainly lotion but I don't remember the name. I am a very pale person. You are fine leaving your arms alone, too. I used to be so self conscious about my pasty, chubby arms. Now I don't care...still working about on feeling the same way about my lower belly pooch.

Dazi

• like the flower
Honestly,  I'd seriously reconsider self/spray tanner. If you are naturally very pale and don't tan naturally,  it tends to look terrible.  In my personal experience,  it looks orange no matter what.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
I'm very pale as well, and it is tricky to do a fake tan.  I've done them a number of times, and there's a big danger of ending up with splotches.  The only time i ever paid for a professional fake tan, I got the worst splotches :(   

Another thing to consider:  if you are very pale, it doesn't look convincing to do a dark fake tan.  You need to just go a few shades darker than your original color.  You will still have freckles.  And you've got to be super careful to have your hands not be blotchy.

If I'm going to bother with a fake tan, I only do my legs and leave my arms really pale.  The arms are harder (particularly with the hands), and usually in my case I'm just embarrassed of how incredibly pale my legs are in shorts. 

How much time do you have before the wedding?  You might want to start experimenting well ahead of time.

Another idea:  what if you had a nice shawl or shrug that went well with the dress?  You could put it on right after the ceremony.  Note that I am not suggesting changing the wedding party's attire, just adding something for the reception.  During the ceremony everyone is going to be looking at the bride and groom, not so much the maid of honor, so you could avoid scrutiny this way.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

katycoo

OK.  A fake tan lasts 1-2 weeks and IME is pretty cheap to get done at a salon.  So take yourself off to one and have a trial run soon - you get to see if you like it on your skin and what shade works well, and plenty of time to get it all off before the wedding if you hate it.

Wintergreen

I think other advices might have been better, but one thing that has worked for me was Dove's Summer Glow -product. (I don't even know if it's available anymore, it's been few years.) But, why it worked for me was because it was more like moisturizing cream and the shade change was really subtle. Not so much a full tan but slight change from milk white to bit of a color. Being quite light (and pink) skinned, it worked for me for quite natural look. And, because it was like moisturizer, it was easy to spread. I don't remember having any problem with color rubbing off to anything, but it did have bit of "yeah, my skin has been moisturized.."-feeling. However, the color did not last long.

I've never used a real tanner, so I have nothing to say about those.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I've been using this gradual self tanner. You get to control the color based on how often you apply. No streaks. It doesn't turn me orange, it's not a dramatic change but just takes the stark paleness out. I started using it daily for 5 days and now doing updates about everywhere 3 or 4 days.

http://www.sephora.com/gradual-self-tanning-body-lotion-P385697?skuId=1545771

workerbee

I second the suggestion of a combination self-tanner/moisturizer. I've used L'Oreal sublime glow with some success -- I think the gradual color change looks much more natural. And since it's a moisturizer you're less likely to end up looking streaky. But you probably need to enlist someone to help apply it to your back and any other areas you can't reach!  Everyone I know who has done the spray tan ends up looking orange.

carol1412

I use Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer - it's very gradual, but no streaks. And no horrible fake tanner smell, either.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
I have also used Jergens Natural Glow with great success. If you have time, experiment with it (or another brand), and then have someone take a couple of pictures of you so you can see if you'll look orange in photos. I was at a wedding recently where the bride had gotten a fake tan and it looked fantastic-it was subtle, not overdone at all and she looked gorgeous--not a bit of an orange hue. But in the wedding pictures? Oompa Loompa time.  So, if you have time, try one or two and if you get that orangy hue in pics of you, you can let it fade out.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Cali.in.UK

Thank you for all the advice everyone, I have a lot to consider!

Frog24

Please consider doing a test run with artificial tanners and some fabric similar to your dress. Because artificial tanners go on the surface of the skin, if you sweat, it might come off of you and stain your dress. 

What about using a bronzing powder to give yourself a bit of a glow/sparkle without actually tanning?  Or, acknowledge that you're pale and be proud of it.  There are many who would be very envious of your skin.

LadyL

I am pale and have embraced it. But, if you're concerned about your skin tone, why not use a body foundation? MAC makes one that is very easy to use. You'll need help to do your back but the effect will be to lessen the contrast of your freckles and create the illusion of perfect skin tone. Here is an example of the effects of using body foundation on scarred legs: http://www.xovain.com/makeup/best-body-foundation-and-concealer-for-scars