News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 27, 2016, 06:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Big Gift Idea thread  (Read 897 times)

cicero

The Big Gift Idea thread
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:58:23 PM »
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can ask about/suggest gift ideas for different ocassions (birthdays, graduations, milestones etc).

I'll start

I have friends that will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary (can't believe i'm that old!). They are about 15-16 years older than me, and i stole inherited them from my now-ex husband. He and his first wife were "besties" with this couple, so they go back forever.

Anyway, they are having a small family dinner, I wIon't be there (it's in a different state)

This s a couple that has everything they need, and are financially secure enough to buy whatever they need when they need. And they are looking to downsize (eventually moving from their family house to a small retirement apartment) so i don't want to buy them more tsachkes. Im not rich and about to be unemployed but I would like to do something.

I thought of sending flowers or fruit - is that enough? is that nice? do you have any other ideas?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

Re: The Big Gift Idea thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »
Since the 50th is the golden anniversary, how about gold foiled chocolates? For flowers, I just read that violets represent the 50th.

gmatoy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:01 PM »
If you think you know their taste in music, how about a CD with the songs that were popular (in rock and roll, country, etc.) for the year that they got married.

EveLGenius

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 10:23:43 PM »
When my parents had their 50th anniversary party, my sister and I requested that everyone write a letter describing their favorite memory of my parents.  That was a huge hit- we got all kinds of fun memories, including the person who saved old Christmas letters and showed up with over a dozen that had been sent in the 79's and 80's.

If you'd like to give a physical present, how about a coin set (penny, nickel, dime, quarter) from their wedding year and a matching set from this year?

Phoebelion

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 05:26:34 AM »
Sibs and I threw a 50th for our parents at a hall.  For table munchies, we didn't want chips, pretzels, etc.  I found a website that would sell you candy from the decade you were born.  We got a whole bunch from the year they were married.    Everyone got a kick out of it as they were all in the same age group. 

cicero

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »
thanks = these are all wonderful ideas. I'll check them all out.

Alicia

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
There is a website that does newspapers from any date. They mainly advertize as newspapers from the day you were born but i did a wedding date one for my neighbors 75 wedding anniversary and was a huge hit. The ads in particular

Bijou

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 01:14:41 AM »
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can ask about/suggest gift ideas for different ocassions (birthdays, graduations, milestones etc).

I'll start

I have friends that will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary (can't believe i'm that old!). They are about 15-16 years older than me, and i stole inherited them from my now-ex husband. He and his first wife were "besties" with this couple, so they go back forever.

Anyway, they are having a small family dinner, I wIon't be there (it's in a different state)

This s a couple that has everything they need, and are financially secure enough to buy whatever they need when they need. And they are looking to downsize (eventually moving from their family house to a small retirement apartment) so i don't want to buy them more tsachkes. Im not rich and about to be unemployed but I would like to do something.

I thought of sending flowers or fruit - is that enough? is that nice? do you have any other ideas?
Maybe a frame to hold one of their 50th anniversary photographs?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

oogyda

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
Quote from: Bijou
[/quote

My cousin got a double frame and enlisted my help in getting a copy of one of my parents' wedding photos.  She got a great picture of them at their 50th anniversary party, got a copy made the next day and put them in the side by side frames. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

cicero

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
Quote from: Bijou
[/quote

My cousin got a double frame and enlisted my help in getting a copy of one of my parents' wedding photos.  She got a great picture of them at their 50th anniversary party, got a copy made the next day and put them in the side by side frames.
i love this idea - do you know where they got the frame? someone actually posted their wedding photo on facebook, together with a photo from now. so lovely to see them.