Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5423130 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #29175 on: Today at 12:47:20 PM »
I look and she is kissing another person and climbing in the another car. Clothes are being removed. This is midday in a busy parking lot and it is pretty obvious what they are doing.

I probably would have moved my vehicle to a different spot where I could still see the van, called the cops about "abandoned children", then watched the hilarity ensue.

Can you imagine that call?!

"911, what is your emergency?"
"Hi. There are two little kids locked in a hot car at Location."
"Okay, ma'am, I'm sending some help. In the meantime is there any way to reach a parent?"
"Umm... well... their mom is in another car, but..."
"I'm sorry, did you say their mom is in the car?"
"No, she's in a different car nearby."
"Ma'am, I don't understand. The mother is there but the children are abandoned in a hot car?"
"Well... she's kinda, uh, having sex in another car."
"In the parking lot at Location?"
"yeah"
"Okay, we'll be right there. *mumble mumble*"
 ;D

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #29176 on: Today at 01:30:15 PM »
I look and she is kissing another person and climbing in the another car. Clothes are being removed. This is midday in a busy parking lot and it is pretty obvious what they are doing.

I probably would have moved my vehicle to a different spot where I could still see the van, called the cops about "abandoned children", then watched the hilarity ensue.

I live in an area that can get pretty hot in the middle of summer, and far too frequently I see cars in the parking lots of grocery stores, running, with kids inside.  Several at a time, even.  I finally called the local police non-emergency number and asked if I should report these, and they said 'YES!!'   Okay, next time.   There was one car with a little girl, maybe 9 or 10, sitting quietly reading, but I know that's just as illegal as the locked, running van with at least 4 young children playing inside as if it were a jungle gym. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29177 on: Today at 02:07:43 PM »
I'm leaving the grocery store. This woman is securing her kids estimate 5 and 2 yo. into their car seats and putting on headphones. I wait for her to finish, because she blocking my driver side door. She closes the door of the van, and walks towards the back of the lot. I'm confused it the van was on, kids are in, the cart parking is the other direction. I had been about to offer to take her cart back, so she didn't have to leave the kids.

I walk to where I can see in the van with the kids. I verify both kids look to be under 7 ones is probably 2. There is no-one older than 14 in the way back part of the car.

Texas law says it is illegal to leave a child under seven in the car for more than 5 min unless someone older than 14 is in the car.  I'm a mandated reporter. I'm wondering if I have to wait the full 5 min. I guess they either saw me looking in the windows or realized I hadn't left. The woman gets out of the other car, is pulling on her shirt, and screaming that busybodies need to mind their own business, jumps in and drives off.

It couldn't possibly be that she was doing something potentially dangerous for the kids!

If anyone is thinking "fall weather" means it's cooler now - I live in the Houston area, too.  It is cooler than it was a month ago, but it is still hot enough that leaving a child in a car with the windows rolled up and the doors locked will put them in danger of overheating. 

Semi-tropical climate...freezing & snow are relatively rare - but heat related issues are a possibility for a much longer time period in the year.

Fall in Houston is like summer in the north.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29178 on: Today at 02:20:50 PM »
I've seen a 5k before where some women with strollers (not jogging strollers, either) parked themselves at the front of the pack and were extremely indignant when asked to move to the back.

That is so incredibly rude I can't even fathom it.  Walkers and strollers go to the back, that's simply how it's done. Everywhere. 

I do a 10K race with my dog every year and we start at the side in about the middle, because she's fast.  I keep to the left and keep her on my left so out of people's way and I'm very cognizant of where other runners are in relation to us.  It's a small race and spaces out quickly anyway.  I can't imagine being jerkish enough to do otherwise.

Most of the races I've done haven't had start corrals/chutes, but you're still supposed to line up with slower runners/walkers to the back. It can be hard to figure out your exact place in a race like that, but you should be able to get close. And for heaven's sake, if you're doing a run/walk deal, make sure you're to the right and not directly in front of someone when you suddenly drop into a walk! I've almost plowed into people who change their speed without any warning.