News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 30, 2017, 06:25:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Storm Doris?  (Read 934 times)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
Storm Doris?
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
Is anyone else having fun with storm Doris right now? I'm sitting indoors with a hot chocolate trying to dry off.

Our gate's broken off its latch, and I've had to tie it to the supports, our neighbour's fence is down but there's nothing serious here yet. The cats still want out, but they aren't getting it in this weather, because I'm not chasing them back in!

Another Sarah

Re: Storm Doris?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
I had a 30 minute motorway drive this morning that was super fun
I work in one of four buildings built around a lake and have spent the whole day so far in meetings in different buildings. To say I have crazy hair does not do it justice, I look like Young Frankenstein

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »
I've just been to the local Tesco - normally only a ten minute walk, the walk down took nearer five and the walk back took nearer fifteen as a result of the wind! Beyond that, though nothing too extreme here. Then again, we're right at the bottom of the yellow "be aware" warning area so I think the worst of it is likely to the north of us.

(Our cat has been out today - briefly, just after his breakfast. He came in as I was leaving and shot straight upstairs in case anyone thought about shoving him back out the door, so he clearly thinks it's not going out weather!)

Sara Crewe

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
All trains on my line home have been cancelled.  Luckily, I'm in a position to leave work early so I'm now on a bus which will take me over an hour to get me home rather than 20 minutes.  I didn't want to leave it to later as the rush hour train users are going to seriously overload public transport.

Of course my car is now at the train station and will have to stay there overnight.  It's a decent area and there is CCTV so it should be OK - I just hope nothing blows onto it.

Sara Crewe

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »
And the bus has just been diverted because there is a tree down in the road we are supposed to take.

Another Sarah

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
And the bus has just been diverted because there is a tree down in the road we are supposed to take.
Gah! Hope it doesn't take too much longer?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »
Good luck with the roads. The gate just snapped the rope holding it, so I've been back out fixing things (and retrieving kitten who ran outside, got blown over, and then panicked and hid under a bush instead of running inside).

Sara Crewe

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »
Good luck with the roads. The gate just snapped the rope holding it, so I've been back out fixing things (and retrieving kitten who ran outside, got blown over, and then panicked and hid under a bush instead of running inside).

I'm now home.  The diversion wasn't too bad although there were times I thought we were going to damage parked cars because the roads were too narrow.

Apparently rush hour is as bad as I thought it will be.  It's annoying I will have to make up the time but at least I'm home.

I just hope my car is OK.  I've only had it since August and I'd be upset if something happened to it (the bus stop is 5 minutes from my house but it's a 30 minute walk to the station car park and I don't want to try it in this weather)

Mustard

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
I hope everyone got home safely.  A few trees down here but nothing too awful.  I got soaked through this morning but was on my way home, fortunately; soon sorted with dry clothes and a pot of tea.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
Home OK, and so is DH although he's about three hours late... There are trees down on all the trainlines, and he said the storm damage was worse than it was when I was out. There have been a few local injuries in the news from falling trees, but nothing serious yet thank goodness.

ClaireC79

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
Drove back from France in the start of it all - so glad we'd booked the tunnel rather than the ferry

Now we're back in Wales it's not too bad