News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• October 06, 2015, 11:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How would you answer these?  (Read 763 times)

How would you answer these?
« on: September 02, 2015, 04:38:44 AM »
A couple of questions popped up at a recent interview I had which threw me slightly, as they were quite negative. I've tried Ask A Manager but haven't had any luck, so thought I'd see what eHellions thought of them.

"If you were unsuccessful at getting this job, what would be the reason?"
"What would you find demotivating at work?"

I managed to get the job, so I must have done OK with the answers, but I admit I was a bit surprised. For the first one I told the truth - that I would assume another applicant had more experience than me. (That's the usual feedback I get - "You were good, but someone else was better.") For the other I tried to twist it round a bit - I said that the feeling of lack of recognition of work could be demotivating, but that I tried not to rely on other people for my motivation. (They had already asked me about motivating myself during mundane tasks so I was trying to keep that positivity going.)

What do people think?

Re: How would you answer these?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:33:54 AM »
Congrats on getting the job!

To your first tough interview question:

If we rely on the classic assumption that the people invited to interview are all qualified for the job (on paper at least), but that it is the interview that determines the person who will best "fit in" with the organization, one response might be:

"Were I not the successful candidate, my thinking would be that you found someone who you assessed to be a better fit for your organization."  It points to an insight about the purpose of the interview process and defines what "better" means, other than years of experience, skill set, academic background, etc.

Your response to the second question was spot on.  I can't think of any other way to respond to it.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 04:03:07 AM »
Tough questions and I think you answered them very well *tucking away into memory bank*

I'm interviewing as well at the moment and  a couple of negative type questions threw me a little last time. I'm prepared for usual competency ones but these were...different.

1) We know it's necessary to bend the rules sometimes and we've all done it, so can you give us an example of a time when you bent the rules?

2) Please give an example of a time when you were in conflict with another member of staff and how you dealt with it.

With hindsight I'm seeing the type of thing they might be looking for but in the interview, I sort of froze and came up with lame examples. Mostly because for question 1 I've been either self employed or a partner in the business so I made the rules and had full autonomy - I couldn't really break or bend them. Came up with a rubbish example from years ago about a customer contacting me about something that wasn't my remit and instead of just passing them over to the right person, took an interest and was involved, due to my good work relationship with them. 2) I realise now I should have come up with an example of having to persuade or influence someone, but at the time I took it as having personal conflict/argument/not getting along and gave an example of when I had to sort out two people I supervised who were at each others throats and not working properly together.

Any one got any ideas for the type of thing they might have been looking for?

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Years ago I was asked, "What is one thing you really dislike about your current job?"  I told the truth, that there wasn't enough work to keep me busy.  I got hired, and never had that problem ever again.