News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 21, 2017, 06:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3008906 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #10890 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
Special employee insisted she be given a free hand on a line of new inventory items (all food related), manager and store owner were agreeable to a budget limit of x dollars.  She grossly over ordered the first round and forgot to mention they would have to be refrigerated.  A display refrigerator was purchased and she got proper advertising budget approval, the project was in full swing.   

At the end of a year she had purchased tens of thousands of dollars (over the budget) of merchandise that was not selling.  Manager finally stepped in and ordered that the items be discounted and floor space reduced to accommodate what was selling and clean up the display, etc.  The new line was declared a failure (to say the least).  Special employee then demanded (not asked) a raise for her efforts. 

Store owner (who had the heart of a teacher) sat down with her and had her explain how she had earned a raise?  She produced a spreadsheet of purchases and sales showing a break even point.  Owner then asked, what about the display refrigerator?  What about your salary on this project?  What about the cost of running the refrigerator, the maintenance of floor space, advertising cost and what about the inventory still not paid for?  You are showing me a break even spreadsheet that is not factual, I want you to succeed and I want to pay you more but show me how any of this project has been profitable?  Let's talk about the pitfalls you learned about and figure out a way to clean up this disaster and a better method for next time. 

Instead of being reasonable she threw an embarrassing, screaming hissy fit and quit.     

eltf177

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #10891 on: February 08, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
Instead of being reasonable she threw an embarrassing, screaming hissy fit and quit.

Pity more troublesome employees don't do this and save managers/corporate the time and trouble of having to ease them out the door, not to mention their co-workers who have to put up with them... ::)