News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 28, 2017, 09:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questioning the right thing to do - husband vs inlaws  (Read 1270 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Questioning the right thing to do - husband vs inlaws
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »
If my ILs were to stay with us, they would almost have to be offered the master bedroom, as it is the only one on the ground floor (they are 83 and 84, his 85th birthday is next month).  Moving my husband out of the master bedroom, even temporarily, would not work for him.  The guest room up a flight of stairs would not work for them...

My mother is younger and is still handling stairs - but she does not run up & down the stairs more than two round trips a day, if at all possible - fortunately, there is a downstairs powder room in the entry hall as well as a private bathroom in the master suite.   Since our clothes closet is inside that bathroom, moving out of the master suite would be more than a minor adjustment, even if it was only a temporary one.

But his parents prefer to stay at home and have other people come visit them - so the question of where Grandma & Grandpa (his) will sleep has not come up more than once since Ambrosia Hino's wedding about ten years ago. 

*They brought their dog with them - so Grandpa slept in the living room in a recliner so that he could easily let the dog out during the night...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:33:17 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

NFPwife

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
For me, the answer to any question like this would be to align auth my husband. Our perspective is that we're "one" and I wouldn't put someone ahead of him. I might try to shift his opinion or present a solution he'd find acceptable, but if he was firm, I would support him. I'd want the same from him.

miranova

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
For me, the answer to any question like this would be to align auth my husband. Our perspective is that we're "one" and I wouldn't put someone ahead of him. I might try to shift his opinion or present a solution he'd find acceptable, but if he was firm, I would support him. I'd want the same from him.

Agreed.