News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 04, 2015, 07:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How important are birthdays?  (Read 1060 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: How important are birthdays?
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »
A lot depends on context.  In the library, there was pizza, a cake and a generally circulated card for every birthday except mine.  In the 20+ years I was there, my birthday was remembered about one in every five. It got to be annoying after a while. 

As a child, there was a little party with a few play friends and relatives.  Now, a card from Mr. Thipu, a bunch of flowers from the corner bodega and a nice dinner out is the norm. I might get a phone call from SIL or members of her family. 

On the other hand, SIL expects people to go all out for her milestone birthdays. For her 70th, she got a week in Key West.  For her 50th, there was something planned for every month of the year.  We're not talking about ice cream and cake.  We're talking about things like a trip to the Grand Canyon and kayaking in Alaska.

It will be interesting this year because SIL has 'voluntold' us that she'll be using our house as a way station on the way to a class reunion and she'll be arriving on my birthday. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) happens.   

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: How important are birthdays?
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
[quote author=Thipu1 link=topic=137500.msg3280214#msg3280214 date=1424907701

It will be interesting this year because SIL has 'voluntold' us that she'll be using our house as a way station on the way to a class reunion and she'll be arriving on my birthday. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) happens.   
[/quote]

I really hope that your brother has a good grasp of the words about 'That won't be possible', and 'No'. If not, you had best!And hire a security firm.