Author Topic: Bad Bosses  (Read 29655 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: Bad Bosses
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:43 AM »
Reviving!

My worst boss isn't nearly in the same league as some of the nightmares above, but I worked for a company that made signs  and hired everyone for a 90-day probationary period before they started getting benefits.

For the first six weeks or so, things were fine. I was learning, things were going well --

They fired me after the 89th day. I counted. The reason why? As Carolina gleefully recounted, I needed too much managing. (In some cases they were literally standing over my shoulder watching me. We were also using computers built somewhere in the Town of Bedrock, but that's a different issue.)
The same thing happened to me last year. 2 weeks before my 3 month probation is up, I'm called into a meeting and told that my performance is unsatisfactory. I felt like telling them the same thing. They didn't manage you, so much as give vague instructions and yell (and I mean yell) at you when you got it wrong. I had written a couple of resignation letters which I hadn't delivered at this stage, so I wasn't too devastated. Interestingly, they haven't replaced me yet. Oh, and it was a non profit, somehow you think they'll be nicer, but they rarely are.

Victoria

o_gal

« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
I've had 2 that were not personnel management bosses, but project leads.

PL #1 was someone I had to work "for" on numerous projects. She was basically hostile to everything that I would suggest, but I was her technical implementation person (i.e. I wrote the code) and she was stuck with me. So I learned to route any ideas through other people. Exact same idea, but if it came from me, it was terrible, but if it came from someone else, it was brilliant. She also had a lovely habit of not showing up on time for meetings but we were forced to wait for her. She would often be 30 to 45 minutes late, but we could not make any decisions while she was gone, because no matter what the decision was, she'd change it just to change it.

The worst situation came when we were going to incorporate software from a recently acquired subsidiary company into our system. There was a meeting where my management made her sign off on a detailed set of requirements on what we would do. Then another programmer was assigned to work on it, and she completed it on time with all functionality. Then PL sat on it and did not release the new software. A full 6 months later, when we see that the company has still not released the software, we start asking questions. PL says that she can't release it because it's not complete. She has all of these other requirements that were not implemented. So our ineffective management decides to open the project back up again and make the original programmer implement the new requirements. Programmer is not happy that she has to do this, because it pulls her off of other projects that she was promised she could work. Then after she gets it done in the 6 weeks given, she finds out that because she was gone, those other projects have now been handled by other people because they couldn't wait 6 weeks. Programmer promptly resigns and no one blamed her. But we still were stuck with PL.

PL #2 was a group manager but I worked with her as my PL. She was always fairly nice to me but sometimes horrible to the people who reported to her. She would actually yell at them in staff meetings. One time, we were having an all day set of meetings with a customer and she ordered lunch for all of us. Then she needed someone to pick up the lunches, so she asked one of her people who was not in the meetings to go pick it up, and that she'd buy them a lunch as well (the restaurant was a significant distance away). Well, 1 lunch didn't get into our order, so we were 1 short. What does PL do? She eats the pick up person's lunch and tells him basically too bad, so sad  ::)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
When I was in high school I worked in the file room of a medical office, reporting to the office manager.  She was an older woman, sweet but not very comfortable with technology.  When I ran out of filing to do she'd often have me type up future weeks' timecards (on the typewriter).  Since this took a ridiculously long time, I eventually ran to the office supply store across the street on my lunch break one day (with permission from the doctor in charge) and got some printable labels for the cards - it took about ten minutes in WordPerfect to make a template and just change the dates for each round.  I finished a year's worth of timecards in one afternoon.  She didn't really know what to do with me after that.

Anyway, it turns out she's still there, 15 years later.  She was going to retire at 65, then 68, then 70, now apparently she wants to keep going until she can't anymore.  Except . . . the office computerized records years ago.  And she doesn't "do" computers.  She stopped being able to actually do her job a decade ago, which means one of the nurses has been doing all the managerial stuff in addition to her own duties, but isn't getting paid extra for it :-/  Two of the three doctors "don't want to be cruel" since "it's just for a few more years" (repeatedly) - the third doctor has been doing all the extra management work and is thoroughly sick of the whole situation . . .

Army Mom

« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:08 PM »
My boss is, well, the worst I've ever worked for and I've had some seriously bad bosses. 

The man cannot ever give any kind of compliment or praise for a job well done.  The most recent example, my unit audited as part of the ongoing system audit.  Zero audit findings, not even a recommendation!  The auditor didn't even know how to write a "perfect" audit report, he had to call his higher-ups for guidance.  This had never happened in the history (100+ years) of the organization so a pretty big accolade.

The CEO and the Board publicly praised us for the accomplishment.

The boss?  He held a meeting with us to discuss ways we could improve   ::)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »
Here's a story where a not-really-great boss rose to the occasion.  Normally she didn't like confrontations, but this time she handled it very well.

I was in her office getting my yearly appraisal; she was happy with my work, probably because she knew I'd get everything finished without having to be supervised.  Anyway, a doctor walks right into the office without knocking and starts yelling at her about department codes.  She stopped him in mid rant, and said, "I beg your pardon!  You don't walk into my office when the door is closed without knocking.  I'm doing an appraisal right now, and if you have an emergency you can go talk to Assistant Boss."  He started ranting again, and she ushered him out and closed the door, reiterating that he should go talk to Assistant Boss, who was more than capable of handling the situation he was complaining about.  (And who was also way harder to intimidate.)   

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2014, 08:01:06 AM »
Sadly, I have a few stories here.

1) Working for a construction company in my youth. Its owner was a man who was funnelling the money from the business to spend spend spend on his family and on new cars every 6 months. His two teenage daughters each had their own business Amex card, as did his wife. Each of them routinely ran up $5K + a month shopping. I was the office manager, and also the A/P person so I would be putting together reports of what had to be paid each month and he'd yell and scream at me for daring to want to pay the vendors. Any time anything didn't go his way, he would scream, curse, hurl abuse and start throwing things. Not just at me, but at anyone who upset him. He also made a shady deal with the unions to save on labor costs, and last I heard Owner was serving in the witness protection program and the family disowned him after the money ran out. I was young, and should have quit that job immediately. I lasted there 5 years.

2) A swimming pool company. I was hired on right out of college as the receptionist. First day there, a nice young man from the facilities department asked me to lunch with him and I went, thinking - oh how nice, a friend.  HUGE mistake as my Boss had been trying to date this young man for months and he wasn't interested. Did I mention the company was owned by a family and all of the relatives were the people who held the positions of power? Yeah, that boss made my life hell. She made sure I was ostracized and she would berate me in front of the entire staff if I made a mistake. Nobody would talk to me, nobody would help me learn the ropes, people were always whispering behind my back. The only person who would talk to me was nice young man, and he apologized for inadvertently making me a target. I quit that job as soon as I could. Not good going into work every day where you throw up as soon as you get out of bed and cry all the way to work and all the way home again.

3) Most recent boss at a large company. Blew hot and cold all the time - demanding and condescending. She would ask me to do something one day, I would do it, and then she would come back the next day asking me why on earth I did that in the most condescending manner. Would talk to me like I was a child and if I violated some hidden protocol, I was berated for not knowing it. Did I mention - no training? I just came in and was expected to hit the ground running on my own. I had to beg for office supplies and beg the other admins to give me information in a company where everyone was paranoid about layoffs so no one shared info. She would get really snarky over me setting up meetings with people who were out on vacation (why haven't you set that meeting up yet? why? why? What is WRONG with you?) and then when the meeting finally got set up after the guy returned from his European vacation it would be - WHY on EARTH did you set up a meeting with THIS GUY? I never asked you to do that! What is WRONG with you?. She also had a baby and insisted that I book maternity rooms for her when she returned to work so she could pump breast milk and got pissed when other moms had the rooms booked at "her" time. I liken her to Miranda Priestly. I know I'm not explaining her well here, but yes - she was exactly like Miranda Priestly (the book Miranda, not the softer movie Miranda). The funniest thing about her is that when I went to leave the organization as I got an offer elsewhere after applying like mad,  she was highly offended that I didn't want to stay and work for her. I was pulled in to a meeting where she actually uttered the words, "When I go to bed at night, and say my prayers, I look at my actions and KNOW I'm a good person." . Yeah, no - I like my sanity. This was another job where I would go home more often than not in tears because of the constant gaslighting. I would not have stayed as long as I did if I didn't desperately need the job.

4) I almost forgot about this one! Worked for a small pharma company where the person I supported was so insane and abusive that they went through assistants like water. We were being audited one day and he came into the office and just yanked everything out of the storage cabinets and threw it all on the floor - expecting me to follow him and pick it all up/dispose of it.
This was a job where there were analysts that were usually young and just out of school because the company was very cheap and didn't pay squat and he would hit on the ones he thought were cute. He had one child, and a second one at one of the company sites out of state as he was trying to sleep with all of the assistants at the job sites. He was also manic one minute and depressive the next and I am convinced he was on drugs. One never knew what would set him off. Also, his second in command was a man with absolutely no filter who would insult you to your face (and say what? I'm just being honest) and who would tell customers about his medical and digestive issues in graphic detail. I could go on about this job, but it's better forgotten. They don't understand why they can't keep employees there past 3 months.

I've also had good bosses too but they were few and far between.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

lkdrymom

« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
My boss is, well, the worst I've ever worked for and I've had some seriously bad bosses. 

The man cannot ever give any kind of compliment or praise for a job well done.  The most recent example, my unit audited as part of the ongoing system audit.  Zero audit findings, not even a recommendation!  The auditor didn't even know how to write a "perfect" audit report, he had to call his higher-ups for guidance.  This had never happened in the history (100+ years) of the organization so a pretty big accolade.

The CEO and the Board publicly praised us for the accomplishment.

The boss?  He held a meeting with us to discuss ways we could improve   ::)

Had a similar thing happen to me. We received an excellent audit and one of the elected officials said the auditors obviously did not look hard enough at our work.  Really?  Would saying 'good job' killed you?