Author Topic: Unreasonable Demands by the Spouse  (Read 7940 times)

Eeep!

Re: Unreasonable Demands by the Spouse
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
Okay, I give up, how do you decide which is the first one in that series?

I get his point, but often that's the book that is lent out before you realize you're going to hold the whole series. Besides, there's always the library.

I've come to the point where I read in order of publication, regardless of the internal chronology. That way, I see the world develop the same way the author did, and things that happen in the prequels don't spoil my enjoyment. Pern is a prime example: the discoveries that were made in... Dragondrums, I think... wouldn't have been as interesting or striking if I had read the prequels first.
That is my biggest pet peeve with the new editions of The Chronicles of Narnia-they put The Magician's Nephew first! Which ruins the mystery of the Wardrobe, and why Prof Kent is all "you're sister isn't crazy".

I totally agree with this! When my husband was reading them I told to absolutely read it at the end. I will tell my kids the same. 
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

miranova

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
DH thinks I'm a mind reader, but I'm not. He will start talking to me as if we are already deep in conversation about something, but we hadn't been talking about the subject he's referring to or hadn't been talking. It's very confusing! He will also attempt to continue a conversation we had days before with no introduction he just jumps right in.

Oh my goodness, mine does this too but with an added confusing twist.  Within the conversation that came out of nowhere, he will use someone's name but it's always a really really common name like Dave or Mike, and he will expect me to know who he is talking about.  So out of nowhere it will be like "and that's why Dave said we needed to go to the restaurant first".  And I'm like what are we talking about?  And he's like well obviously I'm talking about my business trip because I said Dave.  And I'm like that doesn't help!  We know 7 Daves!  He never seems to get it.

He will also start using someone's first name when I would have no way of knowing who that is at all.  Even in the middle of a story that didn't come out of nowhere he will say "and then Karen said blah blah blah" and I'm always like who is Karen?  and he will answer me with a "duh" tone in his voice and say "Karen is the guy's supervisor" like I'm supposed to know that.  These are people I've never met.  It's one thing to say "and then Karen, his supervisor on the project said", but when you just say Karen I have no clue how this person is important to the story.

He abbreviates a LOT I guess, and doesn't understand what can't really be abbreviated.

Hillia

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 04:57:41 PM »

I get his point, but often that's the book that is lent out before you realize you're going to hold the whole series. Besides, there's always the library.

I've come to the point where I read in order of publication, regardless of the internal chronology. That way, I see the world develop the same way the author did, and things that happen in the prequels don't spoil my enjoyment. Pern is a prime example: the discoveries that were made in... Dragondrums, I think... wouldn't have been as interesting or striking if I had read the prequels first.
That is my biggest pet peeve with the new editions of The Chronicles of Narnia-they put The Magician's Nephew first! Which ruins the mystery of the Wardrobe, and why Prof Kent is all "you're sister isn't crazy".

I totally agree with this! When my husband was reading them I told to absolutely read it at the end. I will tell my kids the same.

I have to read series in published order.  In fact, I prefer not to start a series unless I know that I have ready access to all the books.  My mother used to drive me nuts; she'd go to a garage sale and pick up books 2,3,5 and 8 of a series, then wonder why I hadn't leapt into reading them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

I have to read series in published order.  In fact, I prefer not to start a series unless I know that I have ready access to all the books.  My mother used to drive me nuts; she'd go to a garage sale and pick up books 2,3,5 and 8 of a series, then wonder why I hadn't leapt into reading them.

My Dad gave me #3 in a series and Lil Sis #1 in the same series for Christmas one year - looking back, I don't think that he read the blurb on the inside of the paper wrap to realize that it was two parts of a three part series...and that the reason the books were so cheap was that the whole series was no longer available.

We got lucky, the school library had only #2 in the series.  So we got to read them, once I realized that was the missing book.

Unlike Nancy Drew - one book in the series couldn't be read without reading them more or less in order, as the story built from #1...science fiction series with aliens having conquered Earth...reading them out of order got confusing, I know I was when I started #3 because I had a new book and wanted to read it immediately....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Micah

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2014, 06:51:26 AM »
My OH used to do the whole "you should still be able to function and do everything as normal when you're sick, but when I'm sick it's the end of the world!" Until I got really sick and ended up spending eight days in hospital. (It was sudden. Felt yuck for a couple of days, then found myself getting air flighted out). Now he's gotten a bit better, but the main difference is that I just don't put up with it any more. He starts and I shut it down right quick. I've prioritized myself more.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

knitwicca

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
My DH's unreasonable demand is no matter how little sleep I got the night before due to the kids, he is ALWAYS the most tired.  He works crazy shifts and I will bend myself into a pretzel ensuring he gets to sleep or nap if needed. If I need a nap in order to avoid Turing into a bleary eyed, incoherent drooling monster he resents my sleep and will make so much noise I can't sleep.  We've talked about it with our therapist, he admits to resenting my much needed sleep and sabotaging it but cannot wrap his pointy head around it.  I told him I need sleep so I can function and not spend many wakeful hours thinking up ways to inconvenience him.

My ex also resented the idea that I actually needed to sleep in order to not commit a capital crime.
He was retired and had a surround-sound system installed for the TV.  Which was never, ever under any circumstances at a volume of less than half. For any reason. Ever.

I learned to sleep in an incredibly loud environment.
What I did not learn to sleep through was his walking into the bedroom and turning on the overhead light so that he could find his way into his bathroom. (Which had never been relocated)

When I strongly suggested that I required sleep, uninterrupted sleep, so that I could continue to keep my very-nicely paying job, he responded "It's not like they really need you there anyway."  >:D

That and the fact that he sold my Harley while I was at work one day were two of the precipitating factors in my willingness to retain the meanest, toughest divorce attorney in the county BEFORE I left the ex.

He... sold your Harley? And he's still walking?
You are unbelievably restrained.

I left him.
I left him the over-priced condo that he had to have.
I left him the mortgage to the over-priced condo.
I left him the old-man caddie that he had to have.
I left him the bigger-and-more-expensive RV that he had to have.
I left him the payments for the bigger-and-more-expensive RV.

Most of all, I left him to ruin his own life. Which took about 3 years.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:31 AM »
^
I've heard it said that Karma is a female dog.  >:D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
I left him.

Much better than my capital crime idea - you'd have been stuck with all the bills if you'd killed him and disposed of the body.  (If I knew you in real life, I'd have helped with the disposal.  Just saying...  :))
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
"Natural consequences" - if he didn't change his behavior, it sounds like he got what he deserved...

Snarky & Evil are thinking of changing their middle names to "Karma".  Which is going to take a lot longer to type, I'm trying to talk them out of it...distracting them with shiny rhinestone buttons, my last chocolate bunny (where are the hollow chocolate Halloween items, btw?), and anything else that they have shown a tendency to find distracting....

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
My husband likes to start conversations in the middle - or not at all - as well. I seriously think he actually has the first part of the conversation in his head, complete with his subconscious supplying my replies. Ask him a day or two later and he'll say of course he told me about that, we just talked about it the other day!

I don't get the being upset about your SO sleeping late on their day off though. If hubby wants to sleep til noon, that's his prerogative, I'm not his mother. My getting out of bed at 7 doesn't bother him, even if I accidentally wake him. And if it's been a bad week and I haven't slept well recently I've been known to sleep late. Mowing the lawn can happen in the afternoon, when he complains about the heat at 3:30, just ask if he wants you to wake him earlier next time.

I agree with the posts about being sick though. When hubby has a sore throat or a drippy nose, it's the most terrible sore throat or drippy nose ever, but if I'm running a 101 temp and coughing so hard it feels like I'm hacking up a lung I'm still the one that ends up fixing dinner, even if it's just ordering a pizza.  It just never occurs to him to bother. On occasion I have been known to walk in after work, give him a look, tell him he's in charge of dinner and lock myself in the bedroom for a few hours. But that's generally a hormonal thing. He'll end up ordering pizza or heating up leftovers.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
I left him.

Much better than my capital crime idea - you'd have been stuck with all the bills if you'd killed him and disposed of the body.  (If I knew you in real life, I'd have helped with the disposal.  Just saying...  :))

And leave Vorbau to find it and have to clean it up?

knitwicca

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

;D   

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
I left him.

And leave Vorbau to find it and have to clean it up?

But then we'd get an update on the situation...granted, not a good one once the investigation was complete....

asb8

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »
Where is Vorbau? Anyone heard from her recently?