News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 06:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 3185642 times)

weaselfrance

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #24405 on: December 05, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »
After five and a half years, being used once a week only (if that), our dishwasher has packed up and will cost more to fix than the cost of a new one. This is a mere two weeks after the washing machine gave up the ghost and we had to replace that too. Roll on the January Sales ☹️️

Shalamar

« Reply #24406 on: December 05, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »
Oh, don't get me started on dishwashers ... ours packed it in on September 3, and we are only just getting a replacement this week.   The story of why it's taking so long is lengthy and fraught with peril.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24407 on: December 05, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
Right, now, the US Postal Service.

I bought something off of Etsy and it was shipped via USPS. On Saturday, the tracking looked like this:

Sorted 12/3/2016 10:30AM
Out for Delivery 12/3/2016 11:24AM

On Sunday, a new record was added:
Status not Updated 12/4/2016 10:00AM

Today, all three of those records were gone and instead:

Delivered 12/3/2016 4:55AM.

There is no package. First off, how could they possibly deliver the package five hours before it was sorted and six hours before it went out for delivery? Second, how did they manage to deliver to a gated community at that hour? This was not some high-value package with overnight delivery that would require someone to work at 5AM to deliver it. The fact that the evidence of the time conflict magically disappeared makes me *very* suspicious; it was a substitute delivery person on Saturday and I wonder if they lost the package and just entered the "Delivered" to get management off their back.

The help options are terrible. Their voice response system doesn't recognize the phrase "missing package" at all and the wait times are horrible once you can get them to connect you to an agent. The web-based email is terrible too. You *must* identify the contents, but they only give you a few options like "credit card" or "jewelry/precious metals." I'm not sure how to categorize two pairs of glass dragon eye irises worth about $12. They also require you to state what special services were used (and "Unknown" isn't an option.) I have *no* idea what services the sender used!

For reference, this is what is missing. Nothing urgent or earth-shattering but it's annoying that either I or the seller will have to eat the cost of the lost shipment and have a longer wait (in the Christmas season, no less.)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #24408 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »
Something similar happened to me - the package was marked as delivered, but somehow never made it off the letter carrier's vehicle.  I ended up having to go to the PO to get them to look for the package.

Luci

« Reply #24409 on: December 05, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
I had a package that was to be delivered by 8 PM on a Saturday evening, which I thought was pretty nuts. I was happy anticipating it at regular mail delivery on Monday AM. However, I received a notice of failure to deliver because they had no access to the front door, which was absolute nonsense and infuriated me. I took a picture of the house and was ready to go storming in to the Post Office after delivery Monday. It did come then, but I really don't know for sure why the had to lie about the situation. They just don't have the staff for delivering on a Sat. After hours. They probably don't have the option to say that on the computer.

I didn't mention it to them, but I will if it happens again. Small town. We've had the same two clerks since we moved here 14 years ago. Carriers can sort their daily routes in a couple of hours, so no one needs to work the crazy hours they do in Big City we moved from.

guihong

« Reply #24410 on: December 05, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
My signal for "I want private time" is when I put my headphones on and turn on my music.  DH comes in to tell me something that wasn't critical, and then DD had a laundry question  >:(.  I think I haven't been clear with this signal.

jpcher

« Reply #24411 on: December 05, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »
My signal for "I want private time" is when I put my headphones on and turn on my music.  DH comes in to tell me something that wasn't critical, and then DD had a laundry question  >:(.  I think I haven't been clear with this signal.

Oh, yeah, when you tell everybody that it's your time, go through simple steps to make sure that everybody is comfy cozy, then try to take a relaxing bath. All of a sudden the world explodes. WHY! oh why does the world have to explode when you are relaxing?

lilfox

« Reply #24412 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
Programs that don't save your place when you resume them later on.

Right now my pet peeve is that my podcast app defaults to the beginning of a program regardless of where I was when it stopped the last time.  I'm usually driving so I'm not going to mess around with the phone, and I'm not listening to 40 minutes that I just heard to get to the 15 minutes remaining that I still wanted to hear.  It didn't use to do that so I'm doubly irritated that something changed in the program.

Incidentally the new gen of Tivo only lets you record 30 minutes after you pause live TV before it starts playing on its own.  Drives DH bonkers every time.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24413 on: December 05, 2016, 06:09:18 PM »
The Post Awful has redeemed itself, somehow. The package was delivered by my regular guy this afternoon.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Lindenharp

« Reply #24414 on: December 06, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
This time of year, the huge bins full of cinnamon-scented pine cones. I like cinnamon, in normal doses, but walking past those bins in supermarkets and craft stores feels like being hit over the head with a cinnamon tree.

lilfox

« Reply #24415 on: December 06, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »

Oh, yeah, when you tell everybody that it's your time, go through simple steps to make sure that everybody is comfy cozy, then try to take a relaxing bath. All of a sudden the world explodes. WHY! oh why does the world have to explode when you are relaxing?

Missed this earlier, but YES.  At my house it goes like this:  check on the kids playing nicely upstairs, then go down the hall to the bathroom.  Sometimes I only get as far as turning on the light before the screaming starts.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #24416 on: Yesterday at 06:22:56 AM »
Estimated times for delivery.

I've ordered a number of things online for giving to people from the Advent Giving Tree at my parish.  I've gotten everything I ordered for one of the people, and one third of what I ordered for the other person.  The second third is supposed to arrive today (crossing fingers), but what drives me batty--the third item just shipped yesterday, I get the tracking notice and it is in a city approximately 2 hours away as of yesterday evening .... so why will it not be delivered until Friday?  (Gifts are supposed to be brought back this weekend so they can be delivered to recipients.  At least the third item should arrive on time, but why would it take so long?

Figgie

« Reply #24417 on: Yesterday at 10:47:08 AM »
Estimated times for delivery.

I've ordered a number of things online for giving to people from the Advent Giving Tree at my parish.  I've gotten everything I ordered for one of the people, and one third of what I ordered for the other person.  The second third is supposed to arrive today (crossing fingers), but what drives me batty--the third item just shipped yesterday, I get the tracking notice and it is in a city approximately 2 hours away as of yesterday evening .... so why will it not be delivered until Friday?  (Gifts are supposed to be brought back this weekend so they can be delivered to recipients.  At least the third item should arrive on time, but why would it take so long?

A friend who used to work at Amazon at a fairly high level, told me that this was one of the biggest complaints about the non-prime free shipping.  People can "see" where their purchase is and then it doesn't move. 

What is actually happening at Amazon, is that they are waiting until they have a full pallet of stuff and shipping it out a pallet load at a time.  Which means if your item was pulled and placed on the pallet first, it is going to sit there until the pallet is full before it gets shipped.

And friends who sell online often wait until they have multiple items to send out before they brave the Post Office this time of year. :)

Hope your gifts show up earlier than the tracking says they will!!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24418 on: Yesterday at 11:31:03 AM »
Baking soda!

Let me explain.  The Beagle is now considered a senior citizen and, as such, occasionally has accidents in the house.  We clean them up and then BeagleDaddy will dust the entire carpet with, at minimum, one entire box of baking soda.  He says it absorbs odors.  I believe that, but the problem is he insists we let it stay there all night.  I think letting it sit for an hour or two would be sufficient.  Nope.  It has to stay there all night.

Last time he did this it was at 10:00 am.  There are three people and a beagle in our house so the baking soda gets tracked all over the house!

pattycake

« Reply #24419 on: Yesterday at 03:03:02 PM »
Baking soda!

Let me explain.  The Beagle is now considered a senior citizen and, as such, occasionally has accidents in the house.  We clean them up and then BeagleDaddy will dust the entire carpet with, at minimum, one entire box of baking soda.  He says it absorbs odors.  I believe that, but the problem is he insists we let it stay there all night.  I think letting it sit for an hour or two would be sufficient.  Nope.  It has to stay there all night.

Last time he did this it was at 10:00 am.  There are three people and a beagle in our house so the baking soda gets tracked all over the house!

Is there magic in the night time? Because what if the accident is in the evening, does it get left in until the next evening (24 hours) or just until the morning? Because if it's just until the morning, then there must be magic in the night time if you have to go from 10 am to the next day! I don't agree with his method of leaving it for so long, but it would make more sense if "overnight" was "a certain amount of time."