News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 16, 2018, 04:07:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the Strangest/Most Difficult Gift You Have Wrapped?  (Read 1790 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: What is the Strangest/Most Difficult Gift You Have Wrapped?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
One year, my Dad arranged to have extra phone jacks installed in the house so they could have a phone in the bedroom and one out on the porch to save running to the kitchen when it rang.  Long before the days of portable phones.   :)  One of the wires ran up a groove in the paneling of the room Mom used to wrap gifts in.  We thought for sure she'd notice.

So that's a gift that is really hard to wrap!  But what we did wrap was a phone and put it under the tree.  She had no idea what it was, which was unusual.  She opened it up and said, 'What the hell am I going to do with this?'  We all burst out laughing and joyfully took her around the house to see all the new jacks.  She couldn't believe we'd managed to clean up and get everything back in place so she didn't notice.

A few years later, my Dad and my brother were making the run to relatives a few hours away to deliver all the gifts and pick up the gifts in return.  On the way to my Mom's sister's place, they got into a car accident.  Totaled the car.  Aunt bumped up her travel plans and drove them home and Dad went car shopping.  So Mom got a brand new car that Christmas.  That's a little hard to wrap but Dad did manage to find a big bow to stick on the windshield and wouldn't let Mom see it until Christmas morning.

No, the insurance money didn't come through that fast.  The agent told Dad to hold off because he wasn't sure yet if the car would be written off.  Dad told him that if it wasn't, he didn't want the car back, anyway, and he could afford to go get the car.  He got the insurance check a couple weeks after Christmas.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Reika

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »
My first "real" job after high school was working for a small craft store that sold mainly ribbons, we also had to do professional gift wrapping. Since I was the newest employee to the store, I got the Christmas Eve shift for closing. It was dead quiet most of that time until I got a couple of last minute gift wrapping requests.

The first was a teen girl who wanted a button wrapped up as a joke for a friend and didn't want it to be obvious what it was. That was easy, we had some spare small boxes and extra batting from a display. She was delighted with result.

Then came the one that was...weird. Four strapping college guys came in with a large unmarked box that had something heavy in it. They didn't say what it was and I didn't want to know so I didn't ask. Per corporate's rules I could have turned them away, but I was bored and they were offering me a good tip (which I shouldn't have taken, but minimum wage and all that). So they hauled, moved and rotated the box while I wrapped it. Then they paid even more for me to make a giant custom bow to top it. By the time I was done, they'd tipped me about half a week's pay they were so pleased.

Mom was worried that it was related to something illegal, but since it wasn't leaking anything suspicious and I didn't hear anything off in the box, I continued to maintain the attitude of "I don't want to know."

Susiqzer

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
I once wrapped a giant Winnie the Pooh bear in a way that made it completely obvious that it was a bear. Each limb/body part had a different print on it... it was a work of art by the time I was done!

Luci

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »
I cheated - I sewed a large drawstring bag for the present (whatever it was) and stuffed it with an old pillow wrapped around the gift....well padded & not that easily felt through...

The drawstring bag got as much use as the formal present - as the kid used it for the "treasures" for the next couple of years, I was told...

I did that one year with meat. I got a couple of blankets from the Dollar Store, made the bags double thick with a drawstring of gold cord and intended to get them back for next year. I didnít mention that, so didnít get any bags back. The following year we noticed that a lot of the bags were used to bring cold and hot items to the potluck. They washed really well, some even with the cord in them, so I guess it was a really good idea.

It was in northern Illinois so the meat would stay frozen in the trunks of cars for the trip home.

Thatís not cheating! 😀🎅🏻🎄

jpcher

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
One year my father was (jokingly) asking for a Honda 750 motorcycle for his bday. So us kids (I think I was 10, my sister 11 and my brother 7) painstakingly put together a small model with working parts (the chain was the most difficult to assemble.)

Then we were discussing how we would give it to him. I said "I know where daddy keeps his spare key (which said Honda on it). We could wrap that up so that he thinks it's a real one." Then we hung up sheets in the garage to look like it was covering something really big, put the model on the floor behind the sheets. We wrapped up the key in a small box and when he opened it? The look on his face was priceless! He jumped out of bed, ran giggling with joy out to the garage (pajamas and all) saw the sheets, threw them aside and ran under them . . . and almost stepped on the model.

He laughed so hard, tears were running down his face.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
My brother shot a moose one fall and my Dad mounted the antlers for him as a Christmas present.  They wouldn't fit in the car so Dad put the roof racks on the car, wrapped a piece of canvas around the hide part.  And then got the brilliant idea to pin a rolled up pair of red socks to the canvas.  Then proceeded to go into town to get gas, while it was still daylight.  I thought some poor kid was going to think we shot Rudolph!

We get up to my brother's place and my brother comes outside.  He was laughing so hard, he was doubled over.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

LadyBe205

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
One year my father was (jokingly) asking for a Honda 750 motorcycle for his bday. So us kids (I think I was 10, my sister 11 and my brother 7) painstakingly put together a small model with working parts (the chain was the most difficult to assemble.)

Then we were discussing how we would give it to him. I said "I know where daddy keeps his spare key (which said Honda on it). We could wrap that up so that he thinks it's a real one." Then we hung up sheets in the garage to look like it was covering something really big, put the model on the floor behind the sheets. We wrapped up the key in a small box and when he opened it? The look on his face was priceless! He jumped out of bed, ran giggling with joy out to the garage (pajamas and all) saw the sheets, threw them aside and ran under them . . . and almost stepped on the model.

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  You win!    :D :D :D :D :D

Luci

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  You win!    :D :D :D :D :D
Best box in a box in a box story ever! Thanks!

catwhiskers

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »
A very large Toothless soft toy. Ended up getting some cheap lightweight wood and asking OH to make me a dragon cage with a hinged door, then putting Toothless inside and wrapping that. Nephew was delighted (not sure Brother was, as nephew thought the cage was part of the present and insisted on keeping it).

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 04:57:36 AM »
Hmm. Weird gifts to wrap:
-Metal sieve
-Cat-proof bird feeder
-Birdseed (that one was only difficult to wrap because of its weight - the shape was pretty simple)
-Medicine balls (also easy enough to wrap, with enough tape, but impossible to disguise - even if I'd boxed them as soon as my brother picked them up he'd have known - one weighed 10kg; the other was smaller, but still a pretty weighty piece of kit to put under the Xmas tree!)

TracyXJ

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 07:17:57 AM »
Hmm. Weird gifts to wrap:
-Metal sieve
-Cat-proof bird feeder
-Birdseed (that one was only difficult to wrap because of its weight - the shape was pretty simple)
-Medicine balls (also easy enough to wrap, with enough tape, but impossible to disguise - even if I'd boxed them as soon as my brother picked them up he'd have known - one weighed 10kg; the other was smaller, but still a pretty weighty piece of kit to put under the Xmas tree!)

When DH and I were dating, he wrapped a ring in an empty coffee ground can along with the head of a sledge hammer for weight.  Evil man.

I get to wrap balance bikes for my boys this year.  And a wooden bowl/trough made out of a piece of driftwood and is about 5ft long for my MIL.  That is currently hiding in the closet of her guest room!

DanaJ

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
The weirdest gift I've ever wrapped was a "toilet."

As a Christmas/graduation combination gift, my friend bought his daugher some expensive, digital-media production equipment. Since the boxes were the about the right size, he decided to disguise the gift as a toilet. We had a brand-new toilet that had been recently purchased but never installed by the estate rep of a property that my MIL bought. So we took it apart and put the boxes on the base of the toilet where the tank used to be using packing tape to secure them. The bowl was filled with the smaller accessories and cables. We cut a large tile to sit on top of the boxes, so if you banged your knuckles on the top, the boxes felt and sounded like porcelaine.

Then we covered the whole thing in wrapping paper.

His daughter was horrified until she begrudgingly unwrapped it.