News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 27, 2016, 05:31:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 194083 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1170 on: August 15, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »
Definitely a thrift score, but I will have to wait for the end result to see if it really was a good one.

A blog I follow mentioned an online consignment site, which I had never heard of, so I decided to check it out. I sell on Poshmark, mainly my stuff I don't want anymore, along with stuff for select family and friends.

So I go on, and the site sells new with tags, good condition, and ok condition clothing, mens, women's, kids, babies, etc. So I'm checking out the women's stuff and wow. Found some fabulous NWT bargains. Like really cheap, on some higher end brands. So the wheels began to turn, and I thought hmmm, i bet if i bought these, I could sell and make some $$.

So i bought a bunch of stuff, and will try and sell and make a profit. Then because I was bored, I placed a second order. All in all, I spent about $200 on about 1K worth of NWT clothing, and can probably double my money.

Its an experiment, but one that will hopefully pay off. Worst case? I sell it all for what I bought it for, and that's that.

But one item I got was a NWT Talbots wool blend suit jacket. which retails for $209, paid 13.50.

ANy chance you'll share the site name with us?

Absolutely! swap.com

they apparently buy too, but reviews say they don't give much, and refuse a lot

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #1171 on: August 15, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »
Went to the local Goodwill, all green tag children's books were 10 for $1. then at the register, I found out that all green tags were50% off. So 10 children's books were 50 cents!

and #borecore, I'm jealous.  those are gorgeous. I have a similar set that I inherited from my Grandmother, but yours look to be in much better condition than mine.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

GreenHall

« Reply #1172 on: August 16, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
Definitely a thrift score, but I will have to wait for the end result to see if it really was a good one.

A blog I follow mentioned an online consignment site, which I had never heard of, so I decided to check it out. I sell on Poshmark, mainly my stuff I don't want anymore, along with stuff for select family and friends.

So I go on, and the site sells new with tags, good condition, and ok condition clothing, mens, women's, kids, babies, etc. So I'm checking out the women's stuff and wow. Found some fabulous NWT bargains. Like really cheap, on some higher end brands. So the wheels began to turn, and I thought hmmm, i bet if i bought these, I could sell and make some $$.

So i bought a bunch of stuff, and will try and sell and make a profit. Then because I was bored, I placed a second order. All in all, I spent about $200 on about 1K worth of NWT clothing, and can probably double my money.

Its an experiment, but one that will hopefully pay off. Worst case? I sell it all for what I bought it for, and that's that.

But one item I got was a NWT Talbots wool blend suit jacket. which retails for $209, paid 13.50.

ANy chance you'll share the site name with us?

Absolutely! swap.com

they apparently buy too, but reviews say they don't give much, and refuse a lot

Well that was a productive morning for someone.  They do make it easy to limit things, mostly.  And checkout with Amazon is awesome :)

I miss Twice but these prices were very nice.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1173 on: August 16, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »

Well that was a productive morning for someone.  They do make it easy to limit things, mostly.  And checkout with Amazon is awesome :)

I miss Twice but these prices were very nice.

I miss twice too! Although I think about how much stuff I sent them, and while overall I made a decent amount, had I been aware of Poshmark, I could have sold a lot more, and made a lot more.

My first order comes tomorrow; I was doing some resaerch to see if i could figure out the original price of stuff i bought. I have no idea how old any of it is; i do know by the tag i can see, the talbots jeans I got for $7 are a good 10 years old, so they sold for $59.

But one dress; a gorgeous strapless Ann Taylor red/black rose pattern strapless, i bought for $9, and orig. cost was $228!

i won't get anywhere near that, but i can list at about 50, maybe get 40, and profit (after their % on sales) $23.

Chibikoky

« Reply #1174 on: August 16, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
Re: Swap.com

Agreed on the great to buy from (especially if you are looking for lower end clothes) but bad to sell to. I tried- sent a whole box of which only three dresses were accepted. After their cut, I got $2.35. So a bit miffed about that, but I've yet to find another secondhand site with a wide selection in plus sizes. My wardrobe looks far better since finding them!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1175 on: August 17, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Re: Swap.com

Agreed on the great to buy from (especially if you are looking for lower end clothes) but bad to sell to. I tried- sent a whole box of which only three dresses were accepted. After their cut, I got $2.35. So a bit miffed about that, but I've yet to find another secondhand site with a wide selection in plus sizes. My wardrobe looks far better since finding them!

If you're willing to put some time and effort into it, i sell on Poshmark; you set the prices, and keep the items until they sell, then pack and ship out to the buyer. which is good. You do have to work at it, sharing and following, but I've done pretty well. In a year, and most was my own stuff, just a few items for friends, I've made over 2K.

Cons: millions of users, hundreds of thousands of users, and they take 2.95 on items under $15 and 20% on items that sell over that. But, for that, they take care of shipping, all you do is print out a label.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #1176 on: August 17, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »

5 shirts, 2 skirts, 4 pair of pants, a pair of pajamas, a pair of sunglasses, a bag of blocks and a gorgeous winter coat for $74 at consignment! With the things I had already squirreled away, all my daughter really needs for winter now is a pair of snowpants and some bigger socks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:42:13 PM by Black Delphinium »
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1177 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
So my first box from swap.com arrived; I probably should have figured out that new with tags, does not mean current season! Some of the stuff is from past seasons, which I can tell by labels, tags, etc. But, since i stuck with basics and classiscs, i should be able to do well, aside from one.

A very pretty, long, wrap paisley skirt from Ann Taylor. I can tell by the style, craftsmanship, tag and label its older, much older. I figured sometime in the 90's. Add to that the label says "made in USA" it was a given. and digging around online, i found a site that has a listing of clothing labels, from different stores, makers, and timeframe, and my label was in the 90s!

I only paid $9 for it, so i think i can probably sell it and make that back. It is a bit dated, but not too much. Could be worn with a cute sweater and boots to look current.