News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 01, 2015, 08:15:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 74269 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #900 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
I have  friend who keeps using angle instead of angel (usually in the phrase angel wings)

Apparently, she's being obtuse (could not resist!).  :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #901 on: February 07, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
My son was in a car accident a bit over a week ago.

He was allowed to turn in a paper late due to "extraneous" circumstances, or so he told me.

I asked him if the professor used the term "extenuating" about the circumstances...

He and his father have a great deal more difficulty with picking up nuances of meaning from context than I do - but at least VorSon will ask once I try to sort out what he meant from what he said.  He also has been known to look up a word (online), once in a while, for an assignment (usually). 

VorGuy was sixty before he realized that words he had been using as interchangeable in meaning in fact were used because the meanings did not completely and perfectly overlap, so there was a reason for using distinctly different terminology.  He got sulky about me pulling up a dictionary built into the reader in my purse to support my attempt to educate his...but once he realized that he was wrong...he changed the subject...and has changed his standard comment to reflect his new grasp of the English language.

I forget where I read this, but someone quoted someone else as having said that synonyms do not and/or should not exist because there is so much nuances that none of them mean exactly the same thing as the other.

I think that the reason that English has so many synonyms (and to some extent, the same thing applies to homonyms) is that it has "borrowed" (meaning outright stolen & tried to file off the identifying marks) words that had the nuanced meanings that the original word didn't quite convey.  Or the original source language didn't have a word that worked so they found out what it was called in a language that did have the concept...

English has a lot of source languages - from conquest (Latin, Norman French, and too many others to list here) , from intermarriage (spouse spoke a second language and their children & grandchildren spoke both languages & picked the word that worked best for the concept),  trade (have to be able to speak some form of a trade language and English people were good at sailing & trading for any number of centuries) - plus local dialects, accents changing the way a word sounded or was used - then other areas picking that change up as if it were a new, separate word rather than a funny way to say the original word....and then there was Shakespeare and his writings where he invented words if he needed to so it would fit the rhyme scheme and the rhythm of the poetic form he was using....

Which resulted in a huge number of words with slight variations in meaning between some of them - but lawyers, poets, and the like have delighted in the shades of meaning over the centuries and even made those very shades of meaning *work* in getting a clearer word picture whether in a poem, a song, a play, a treaty, a law, or a contract!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #902 on: February 07, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
That would be double plus ungood.

I see what you did there...

I may not have conveyed what the quoted person meant. He meant saying annoyed, irritated, irked, displeased, etc instead of always just saying "mad". They each have a nuanced different meaning and thus aren't the same as each other. Therefore, synonyms don't truly exist.

Elisabunny

« Reply #903 on: February 07, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »

I may not have conveyed what the quoted person meant. He meant saying annoyed, irritated, irked, displeased, etc instead of always just saying "mad". They each have a nuanced different meaning and thus aren't the same as each other. Therefore, synonyms don't truly exist.

I actually own a synonym dictionary.  Instead of just listing all the different words, it explains the nuances.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #904 on: February 07, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

I actually own a synonym dictionary.  Instead of just listing all the different words, it explains the nuances.

You must tell me the name of it!  I must have it!  Resistance is futile!  You will assimilate!

Ahem...may I please have the name of it if not the ISBN#?  Thank you in advance!

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #905 on: February 07, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »

You must tell me the name of it!  I must have it!  Resistance is futile!  You will assimilate!

Ahem...may I please have the name of it if not the ISBN#?  Thank you in advance!

Seconding this!
"So, what did you wish for?"
"I wished for... World domination, of course."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #906 on: February 07, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »

Ha ha! That has been my "go to" phrase for everything bad lately!

Glad to see it's in someone else's brain too!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #907 on: February 07, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
A street side boiled peanuts vendor had set up on a road that goes past my camp. All of his signs were spelled correctly except for one, which read "Boiled Paenuts".

Elisabunny

« Reply #908 on: February 08, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »

Seconding this!

It's quite old, so it might not be in print anymore. :(  I'm currently 1000 miles from home, so I will try to explain to an at-home family member where to find it.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

jmarvellous

« Reply #909 on: February 08, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »

Seconding this!

It's quite old, so it might not be in print anymore. :(  I'm currently 1000 miles from home, so I will try to explain to an at-home family member where to find it.

This is the one I grew up using in school: Synonym Finder

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #910 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »

Seconding this!

This is the one I grew up using in school: Synonym Finder

Wow. 5 stars on Amazon! I've added it to my wish list. Thank you.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #911 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »
Yes, thank you!

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #912 on: February 25, 2015, 03:29:50 PM »
Today I got a birthday card that says 'Your never too old...'

I died a little.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #913 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
Don't call my never old!

The second guest lecturer had multiple typos in his presentation. My favorite - mossess instead of mosses. Yes, he is a paleoethnobotanist.
My professor had a typo as well - speaking of insects, those pesky files.  >:D