Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 662533 times)

JoW

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3420 on: October 29, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »
From http://800notes.com/forum/ta-29022e7af5a3050-59/microsoft-there-is-something-wrong-with-your-computer, page 59 of the thread. 

The poster has received a call from a scammer pretending to be from Microsoft.

"Seems by computer has malware that's threatening to shut down the entire Federal Infrastructure.  I told him that was my intention and please don't interfere with it."

Tia2

« Reply #3421 on: Yesterday at 04:17:26 AM »
Airline tickets are e-tickets.  They do not send them as attachments via email.  Even if you ask for your receipt, it still won't have the tickets as an attachment

The subject from Delta is pretty much always in the following format : FIRST NAME / LAST INITIAL / CITY YOU ARE STARTING FROM / DATE

Boarding passes are labeled as such and you won't get an attachment unless you specifically log in to check in and request it to be sent to your email.

The last two airlines I booked with did send their tickets as PDFs attached to emails so I'm not sure that would have tipped me off.  I guess I'll have to make a note of the booking reference and make sure it is in the body of the email.

Really??? May I ask which airlines?  Were they the tickets or the booking confirmations?  The reason I ask is because I coordinate group travel for my conferences and I haven't see an actual ticket in a very long time.

It was the actual ticket, as in print it off and hand it over the counter at the check in desk so they can scan the bar code.  The airlines were Air New Zealand and Qantas and I was buying international flights through their UK websites, so maybe that makes a difference.  Air New Zealand doesn't let you check in on line so you get a physical boarding card at the airport.  I haven't used the Qantas ticket yet - I need to look at their check in procedure.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #3422 on: Yesterday at 06:39:18 AM »
Air New Zealand makes it possible to do everything from your phone.  However it always sends a copy of the ticket to your computer as an attachment.  However I have their app  so  you can check in and fly with your phone.  I find this immensely useful as i often get reimbursed for the flights.  It means I can  forward the attachment to who ever is going to pay. It works in the same way that when I hop across to Oz I go through Australia immigration while still in Auckland.  I just walk through a booth whilst holding my electronic passport.  I am just waiting for the day when I can load my passport on my phone.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3423 on: Yesterday at 11:20:05 AM »
Thank you guys :)

I haven't had the opportunity to fly on either of those airlines, nor have I had any meetings or conferences in that part of the world.  I'm pretty sure I would have ignored the attachment in the future if I hadn't known. 

heartmug

« Reply #3424 on: Yesterday at 02:48:44 PM »
BIL (aka "The Mooch") wants to borrow money.  DH suggested that if he give up his pack a day habit, like his wife and doctor have been begging him to do for years, he could get the amount of this "loan" in just a couple of months.  No go.  Last time we gave them money, we knew it was a gift and we wouldn't be getting a penny back from the "loan" and sure enough we were right.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Tia2

« Reply #3425 on: Yesterday at 04:06:11 PM »
Air New Zealand makes it possible to do everything from your phone.  However it always sends a copy of the ticket to your computer as an attachment.  However I have their app  so  you can check in and fly with your phone.  I find this immensely useful as i often get reimbursed for the flights.  It means I can  forward the attachment to who ever is going to pay. It works in the same way that when I hop across to Oz I go through Australia immigration while still in Auckland.  I just walk through a booth whilst holding my electronic passport.  I am just waiting for the day when I can load my passport on my phone.

In previous years, I haven't been able to do this for the international flight.  Have they changed it recently?  Of course, I'm a British citizen so I can't use the electronic passport on arrival, anyway.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #3426 on: Today at 12:59:01 AM »
I understand it is only for NZ citizens to Australia, but for both coming to NZ. It certainly makes for a quick processing.   However to USA last year it was a different matter.  Oodles of bits of paper, visa,s obtained over the internet and then further checks when we got there.  My husband is a coeliac and has very/nil fingerprints, and it looked as if they were not going to let him in.  Fortunately we were able to convince them he was who he said he was and they let him in.

Margo

« Reply #3427 on: Today at 08:51:18 AM »
I understand it is only for NZ citizens to Australia, but for both coming to NZ. It certainly makes for a quick processing.   However to USA last year it was a different matter.  Oodles of bits of paper, visa,s obtained over the internet and then further checks when we got there.  My husband is a coeliac and has very/nil fingerprints, and it looked as if they were not going to let him in.  Fortunately we were able to convince them he was who he said he was and they let him in.

A friend of mine had trouble entering the US as she only has 9 fingerprints, having lots the top half of one finger as a child. She said the staff were all very polite, it was the machines that were the problem.  That was not long after the scanners came in, though - it may have improved since.