News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 31, 2015, 01:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 68024 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1290 on: March 15, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »
Washed the sheets and hung them outside on the clothesline.

I hard-cooked 2 dozen eggs. I made potato salad from scratch and prepared *picked beets and purple eggs*.

(2 cans of sliced beets and 10 hard-cooked eggs are placed in a 2-quart glass jar and a marinate of 3/4 cup sugar, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, and the beet juice from the cans of beets are poured into the jar. the jar is securely closed and left to sit in the frig for at least 24 hours. During that time, I gently shake the jar whenever I happen to  need to get something in or out of the frig)

turtleIScream

« Reply #1291 on: March 16, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
I took a shower. Considering I've been sick and in bed since Thursday, this was a big deal.

Also wrote out a detailed shopping list for husband to make a grocery run while I napped. He got most of it right :) We now have good, easy to prepare food in the house, and I will actually make dinner tonight.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

snowfire

« Reply #1292 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
I got the last of my roses pruned and the dead foliage on my irises cleaned out.  Also raked up the leaves from my apple & pear trees which had not dropped until there was snow on the ground.  Over the last week I've been doing a ton of yard cleanup because last week and this week is unlimited pickup on our trash.  Last week I had six cans of yard cleanup stuff. This week I have four cans (so far) and five of the huge paper recycle yard bags.  I'm exhausted.  DH has been trying to troubleshoot our lawnmowers.  He got one running nicely, but the power drive is still not functional  >:( The front of the house looks pretty good now.

gmatoy

« Reply #1293 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:23 PM »
I got all of the dirt out of the sod I dug up to make a new flower bed. I blended in the new soil, so it will support the plants. DH did the actual planting, since that is something he is still able to do.
I got another drawer in the kitchen cleaned out. (So, 2 out of 8 are done.)

I went to a thrift store and it was half price day on everything. I bought a lot of things and feel good about every bit of it!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1294 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »
I made doughnuts using this recipe. Filled half with grated apple. They were delicious.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/county-fair-fried-dough-recipe

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1295 on: March 29, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
Anthony (the bf) has been away for a few weeks so without him underfoot I Have managed to get a TON of serious spring cleaning done.  I cleaned out the basement and my large walk-in closet.  I donated two large boxes and three large bags of clothing.  I have vacuumed, dusted, washed walls, cleaned ducts (as much as I can, have a professional coming next week) cleaned windows, done dishes, cleaned and repaired a few things around the house that needed doing.  Cleaned out what seemed like a THOUSAND empty boxes from the back porch.  I can actually access and use that entire room now.  Anthony had a weird fixation with saving packaging.  I can understand some things, like computer hardware...if it's defective, you'll need the original packaging to return it.  But for heaven's sake, there were boxes from the coat hooks I mounted last year, and Anthony's computer chair which he's had for at least a year, the box for the ceiling fan we mounted six months ago, etc etc.  I had a jolly bonfire in the pit in the back yard to dispose of it all.   I'm confident my bathroom would pass muster even if my mother conducted the inspection.  All I have left to do now is clean all the animal hair off the couch and clean the stove and microwave in the kitchen.  Whew!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1296 on: March 29, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
Made blackeyed pea soup with pork shanks and green chiles. Will make cornbread when DH finds the cast iron skillet. Started laundry, cleaned the kitchen, continued organizing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1297 on: March 29, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
With some help from the boyfriend, I cooked up 5 pounds of hamburger with onions, split it in half and put half in the freezer.  The other half will be used to make lazy cabbage rolls tomorrow.  I cooked up 4 pounds of thick sliced bacon and made 8 pounds of baked beans today.  Baked one batch and put three batches, unbaked, in the freezer.  And froze the rest of the beans that are baked.  At least one bag of unbaked to go to my brother's place next weekend for Easter.  Made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies - 3 containers in the freezer and one for each of us to take to work tomorrow.  Cut up a spiral ham - the nice slices ready for my lunches and the rest cubed up for making pea soup.  All of it in the freezer, including the bone, to make the soup later.  Did 5 loads of laundry and remade the bed.

I have a bunch of stuff still to do for Easter but I feel like I can get it done, now.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario