Author Topic: Dear Dog:  (Read 86370 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Dear Dog:
« Reply #810 on: July 17, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »

Dear Demons:

A minor house maintenance issue.

Those plastic doorstops are, strangely enough, to jam under the bedroom door during the day when dad likes to sleep. This is to keep you out for a few hours so he can have said sleep without you doing your burrowing act. They are NOT edible. Plastic is not healthy to doggy digestion, and so you are not supposed to take it in turns to push the door open, steal the stop, and then chew it to death.

In your short life so far, you have gone through 18 of these things! The wooden ones I'm not so worried about, and the fact you haven't been ill is probably because you gnaw them apart and spit out the bits. I might add that this gives an added level to the dangers of going to the loo in the dark which I don't need.

Not everything at your head height can be eaten. I know you're rotties, and therefore almost as tough as a labradour in this regard, but please cease and desist. Or the next doorstop you taste will be covered in hot sauce, and I promise, you won't eat it!

Regards
The provider of (quite adequate) chewies.

Hehe. You may be surprised.

A friend of mine tried using that Bitter Apple spray with one of her cats. She had to stop, because he loved the taste of it and would chew on anything she sprayed. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

gingerzing

« Reply #811 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »

Dear Demons:

Those plastic doorstops are, strangely enough, to jam under the bedroom door during the day when dad likes to sleep. This is to keep you out for a few hours so he can have said sleep without you doing your burrowing act. They are NOT edible. Plastic is not healthy to doggy digestion, and so you are not supposed to take it in turns to push the door open, steal the stop, and then chew it to death.

In your short life so far, you have gone through 18 of these things! The wooden ones I'm not so worried about, and the fact you haven't been ill is probably because you gnaw them apart and spit out the bits. I might add that this gives an added level to the dangers of going to the loo in the dark which I don't need.

Not everything at your head height can be eaten. I know you're rotties, and therefore almost as tough as a labradour in this regard, but please cease and desist. Or the next doorstop you taste will be covered in hot sauce, and I promise, you won't eat it!

Regards
Fliss - are you quite sure that the Demons aren't a Rottie/goat mix?  Esh.

GreenHall

« Reply #812 on: July 17, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Well, I guess it's good to know the chewing on all and sundry is standard behavior.  My sister's puppy (5 month Great Pyranees, he will be a pony when he's full grown) chews absolutely everything as far as I can tell.  He is slowly deconstructing the wave shaped plastic covered in carpet cat scratcher thing.  Only reason my mom isn't so upset about that one, is that it means at least one household pet is getting some use out of it (both cats ignore it).

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #813 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Yeah, hot sauce won't do for some dogs. When Valentine was 6 months old, we moved into our present home. To keep her from digging up the newly planted lawn, we resorted to Tabasco and chili powders. Turns out little Val liked the taste and she dug only places when she could get at her peppery treasures. She even begs for pickled jalapeño when she sees us using them.

mmswm

« Reply #814 on: July 17, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
Baxter chews on anything he can get his paws on.  He's really not picky.  Plastic chairs, sticks, rocks, walnuts, wooden steps, semi tires...if he can get to it, he'll chew it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

andi

« Reply #815 on: July 21, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Dear Jack -

Mommy will be home soon. I know daddy's lap isn't the same, but since you're clean he'll let you snuggle so take advantage. Be sweet and don't wake him up 5 times a night and you may even get treats. I'll see you soon

Love Mommy

mmswm

« Reply #816 on: July 21, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
Dear Baxter and Lucy,

You are the most wonderful dogs ever and I hope you will be happy at coach's house. I'm sorry I had to give you away, but we're friends with Coach and will come visit regularly.  It's been 24 hours and I still can't stop crying, but you deserve to have humans who are home more often and can play with you and walk you when you need it.    Hopefully things will get better and I can take you back soon. 

Love always and no matter what,
Mommy
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #817 on: July 22, 2014, 02:57:30 AM »

Dear Demons:

Regards

Hehe. You may be surprised.

A friend of mine tried using that Bitter Apple spray with one of her cats. She had to stop, because he loved the taste of it and would chew on anything she sprayed. :P

Yea, Pilsner (Pyrenees/Golden mix) once counter-surfed a jalapeno, and Castor & Pollux (cats) once got to taste my kung pao chicken as an attempt to deter them from sticking their heads in my take-out - and they wouldn't quit eating it. Koonah (American Eskimo) used to like radishes.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #818 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:28 AM »
Dear Baxter and Lucy,

You are the most wonderful dogs ever and I hope you will be happy at coach's house. I'm sorry I had to give you away, but we're friends with Coach and will come visit regularly.  It's been 24 hours and I still can't stop crying, but you deserve to have humans who are home more often and can play with you and walk you when you need it.    Hopefully things will get better and I can take you back soon. 

Mommy

((Hugs)).  Even when it's the right decision, it's still hard.  I'm sure your puppies will be glad to see you whenever they can!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #819 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »

Dear Baxter and Lucy,

Mommy

Aw, man. I'm sorry.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #820 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »
Dear Baxter and Lucy,

Mommy

*hugs*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #821 on: July 22, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
I hope Baxter drives over to see you often!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

mmswm

« Reply #822 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
I hope Baxter drives over to see you often!

Don't think he won't try!  He's settling in well.  We visited this afternoon.  He's such a door ball.  Coach's house is walking distance, so I think the boys might be over there as frequently as Coach and his wife will let them.

Dr. F.

« Reply #823 on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
Dear Dogs,
At his point, all *3* of you have stolen the soap off of the bathroom vanity to chew on it. Seriously? It's *soap*. It's not edible. (It's Crabtree and Evelyn's Honey and Coriander soap, for the record.)

Mommy

greencat

« Reply #824 on: July 24, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Dear Dogs,
At his point, all *3* of you have stolen the soap off of the bathroom vanity to chew on it. Seriously? It's *soap*. It's not edible. (It's Crabtree and Evelyn's Honey and Coriander soap, for the record.)

Mommy

Dear Dr. F,

This is why our human only buys liquid soaps now.

Love,
The greencat menagerie