News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2017, 06:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 683692 times)

Twik

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3255 on: April 27, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
Laptops were certainly not common consumer products in 1991. They were much more expensive than desktops. So, it's not impossible a student might have a laptop, but I was still typing university papers on my new electric typewriter in 1985, and darn glad I didn't have to use the library's manual typewriter any more. I don't think we got laptops at work until the 2000s.

So it's one of those things that you could make possible in your mind (maybe her parents were wealthy, or worked in the computer industry themselves so they had more access to "cutting edge" stuff), but it's pretty clear that the writer really thought laptops have been with us through the ages.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

« Reply #3256 on: April 27, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »
If I was not reading it as an e-book, this book would be across the room by now.  Written by a very well know author and highly recommended by a friend (?), this story had the usual mistakes of the heroine making a potato salad in the 1580's.  What got to me though was through out the book, she constantly referred to the Elizabethan age as being the 'medieval period'.  By the grace of Clio, NO.  This is a major error, which any history book would have told her.  If she could not get the period right how could I trust anything else she wrote.

You know, as a totally unpublished fantasy writer, I don't find it hard to google things like "Recipes from X period" to at least get an idea of what meals would be like in a given time period/level of technology.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JadeAngel

« Reply #3257 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:48 AM »
I've ranted before about the very many mostly dreadful attempts to replicate the style of Jane Austen - Death Comes to Pemberley stands out as a particularly dire example.

I got as far as Darcy saying the phrase "Call the police!" and gave up in disgust. I did so want Elizabeth to turn around and say to him "Call the what?"
And with what are we supposed to "call" them when Alexander Graham Bell is still sixty odd years from patenting the first practical telephone in 1876?

I believe the phrase PD James was looking for was 'fetch the militia!' and five minutes of research and she would have known that too.

GreenHall

« Reply #3258 on: April 28, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
I've ranted before about the very many mostly dreadful attempts to replicate the style of Jane Austen - Death Comes to Pemberley stands out as a particularly dire example.

I got as far as Darcy saying the phrase "Call the police!" and gave up in disgust. I did so want Elizabeth to turn around and say to him "Call the what?"
And with what are we supposed to "call" them when Alexander Graham Bell is still sixty odd years from patenting the first practical telephone in 1876?

I believe the phrase PD James was looking for was 'fetch the militia!' and five minutes of research and she would have known that too.

Heh, her initals are PD, and that's what she did to you being a repeat consumer...( I'm easily amused)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3259 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »

I really don't enjoy modern books that try to mimic writing styles from other eras, they just seem to fall flat.

I like most of PD James' other work, but a few of her last novels seemed off -- the portrayals of modern life in England seemed a few decades off.

Maude

« Reply #3260 on: Yesterday at 04:23:16 AM »
I often buy books in bulk from the local vintage store, so they're usually 10- 15 years from first publication. So many times lately, I have tossed aside a book because of * padding*.

1. Characters endlessly repeating the dire situation to each other.
2. The days activity ( eg a search ) repeated for page upon page.
3. Mealtimes... the reader is not only regaled with what they had for dinner, we are also   
    subjected to a list of ingredients and a description of how the character assembled the 
    dish.
I realise that this is a result of poor editing...but sheesh!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3261 on: Yesterday at 08:22:09 AM »
People being deliberately, idiotically stupid in disaster novels. Any modern scientist studying earthquakes knows you don't blithely send your girlfriend off for a day at the ocean beach after a 9.0 earthquake hits your city. When there are bad guys advancing on you you get out of Dodge and then argue with the others about who's going to lead the group.
Nothing to see here.

rose red

« Reply #3262 on: Yesterday at 08:23:45 AM »
I often buy books in bulk from the local vintage store, so they're usually 10- 15 years from first publication. So many times lately, I have tossed aside a book because of * padding*.

1. Characters endlessly repeating the dire situation to each other.
3. Mealtimes... the reader is not only regaled with what they had for dinner, we are also   
    subjected to a list of ingredients and a description of how the character assembled the 
    dish.

If you ever watched the sitcom The King of Queens, there was an episode where Carrie had to read an award winning book to impress her boss. The first sentence said something about the main character's memory of a dish. Carrie then started flipping pages and pages, finally exclaiming "how long is this recipe?!"

Personally, that's my experience with "award winning, critically acclaimed" books too. Too pretentious for me. It's like the author rather impress than tell a good story. YMMV.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #3263 on: Yesterday at 08:35:51 AM »
People being deliberately, idiotically stupid in disaster novels. Any modern scientist studying earthquakes knows you don't blithely send your girlfriend off for a day at the ocean beach after a 9.0 earthquake hits your city. When there are bad guys advancing on you you get out of Dodge and then argue with the others about who's going to lead the group.

That reminds me of a story that ended up as a "did not finish" for me ... These are rare, and if it hadn't been a download on my Kindle, there would have been a book colliding with a wall.  Storyline involved invasion by aliens.  Apparently, there was some sort of app that had become super-popular to the point of ubiquitous which somehow everyone was into that warned of these "five round objects" approaching from outer space which are supposed to arrive in a certain number of days (i.e., not immediately--close to a week).  At which point *everyone* loses their ever-loving minds.  Abandoning cars in the middle of the road, driving on sidewalks to get around said abandoned cars--it's immediate and universal panic.  Main character lives in NYC and has some sort of bunker in Colorado that he has had built because he'd been convinced long ahead of time (due to use of psychedelic drugs, which of course are the pathway to super-knowledge).  So he gathers his family and calls his ex wife who lives in LA because if you're going to ride out the alien invasion in a bunker, having current wife and ex-wife in the same tiny area is a great idea!  Then they drive in this super vehicle, except he's stupid enough to drive through Chicago where there is now the mother-of-all-traffic jams (slightly worse than normal, in other words) and they abandon their super vehicle with provisions that would get them through the trip, and have to jettison most of their provisions for the next mode of transport.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3264 on: Yesterday at 08:51:45 AM »

That reminds me of a story that ended up as a "did not finish" for me ... These are rare, and if it hadn't been a download on my Kindle, there would have been a book colliding with a wall.  Storyline involved invasion by aliens.  Apparently, there was some sort of app that had become super-popular to the point of ubiquitous which somehow everyone was into that warned of these "five round objects" approaching from outer space which are supposed to arrive in a certain number of days (i.e., not immediately--close to a week).  At which point *everyone* loses their ever-loving minds.  Abandoning cars in the middle of the road, driving on sidewalks to get around said abandoned cars--it's immediate and universal panic.  Main character lives in NYC and has some sort of bunker in Colorado that he has had built because he'd been convinced long ahead of time (due to use of psychedelic drugs, which of course are the pathway to super-knowledge).  So he gathers his family and calls his ex wife who lives in LA because if you're going to ride out the alien invasion in a bunker, having current wife and ex-wife in the same tiny area is a great idea!  Then they drive in this super vehicle, except he's stupid enough to drive through Chicago where there is now the mother-of-all-traffic jams (slightly worse than normal, in other words) and they abandon their super vehicle with provisions that would get them through the trip, and have to jettison most of their provisions for the next mode of transport.

I read that one! Then they get near the bunker, there's lots of bad guys and the idiot pregnant girl and her boyfriend decide to rebel by sitting down in protest! They even giggle that they're being so rebellious. I would have left them behind.
Nothing to see here.

Reika

« Reply #3265 on: Yesterday at 09:49:14 AM »
That reminds me of one I stopped reading and was glad I'd gotten it through Kindle Unlimited.

Unknown astronomic thing heading toward our solar system. People freak out due to the way the news was announced (of course). The wife and daughter of one of the lead scientists choose to ride it out in Rome instead of the nicely secured, well provisioned (not to mention self supporting) estate in the countryside. Of course they get robbed, all because they don't pay attention to their surroundings even though they've already seen looters in the area.

Sakuko

• The black Kitten
« Reply #3266 on: Today at 01:48:08 AM »
    dish.

Murakami does those a lot. Not as poor editing, it's his style, and he's about the only author I know who can pull off adding so many mundane details and still have a gripping story.