News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 30, 2015, 03:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you manage your on-line reputation?  (Read 1053 times)

JoW

Re: How do you manage your on-line reputation?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »

I'm quite active on 800Notes

I know a small-business owner who rejected a couple of potential employees because she didn't like what she saw on their face book pages.

Thanks for the 800Notes. It will quite useful to me!

The Facebook comment you made scares the heck out of me for the past couple of years. There is a young lady on Facebook with the same name and age as our granddaughter. Other girl flaunts her sexuality, talks about illegal activities, is generally crude, and comes off as very uneducated. What if a prospective employee goes to that site, ignores all of our granddaughter's recommendations and commendations and degrees and doesn't hire her because of that other person?

I'm "not Michael" on 800notes.

For your granddaughter her best bet is to address it early.  She needs to tell potential employers "If you check my Facebook please look at the picture.  There's someone else with my name and she has a different lifestyle."

I'm in a similar situation.  At one point I lived within 50miles of 5 people with a slight spelling variation of my first name and my exact same last name.  One of them was on my mail route.  Another worked where I did.  I tell people to check by social security number.  For Facebook and Linked In they tell me in person and I invite them, not the other way around. 

JoW

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »

I know a small-business owner who rejected a couple of potential employees because she didn't like what she saw on their face book pages.

Just out of curiosity - what was it that she didn't like?
Booze-y partying, probably with pot and/or drugs.  She didn't tell me the details.  She was hiring engineers for her consulting firm.  Engineering students are  known for partying but you don't want to look too wild when clients may see you.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »

Until Facebook changed its settings a while ago, my name didn't even come up in the search engine. (If that's now possible again, could someone please tell me).

It is still possible to block this. Go into "privacy settings and tools" and under "who can look me up?" it will say "do you want other search engines to link to your timeline? choose no, and it shouldn't bring you up as being on FB during any Internet search.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
Getting fired for writing romance novels?  ::)

I have neglected my LinkedIn account and need to correct that, but I'm still chicken  (I know that makes no sense, but no comments on that, please).  My FaceBook account is also in my real name, but is locked down and viewable only to existing friends.  I ended up changing my mind about joining a public group on it where I could be found.  There are no photos of me on FB and I never post anything personal to my timeline.  One friend who is prone to passing on political stuff is blocked from posting to my timeline.

Meetup has my real name, which I thought would be appropriate since one meets real people up front.  I now wish I had thought about this some more three years ago because I can be found there.  My real name is unique and I was a real idiot for not thinking about that.

There are two other forums that have the same username as here and I also use it for my Photobucket account.  I stopped using Twitter when it changed my username to my real one.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 12:05:53 PM »
I have a LinkedIn, Pinterest and Facebook page.  LinkedIn is used mostly to keep in touch with former and current coworkers.  Pinterest is pretty mundane, mostly recipes and crafts I want to make.  I do have a folder of funny memes and gifs that my mother probably wouldn't appreciate so that's in a secret folder.  But none of it's offensive to any particular group, they just might have foul language.  (Funny how I'm 42 and still worried about being vulgar in front of my mom.   ;D)

Facebook is pretty locked down and I have a lot of aunts and my mom on there so I keep it pretty clean.  And my posts are pretty whitewashed; I don't post drama or air dirty laundry there ever.  And I don't complain about work either.  I'm also reluctant to post pictures of myself, even though they're all quite innocent.

I'm a member of a few message boards and use an alias.  I don't post any identifying info and I never, ever engage trolls.  I'm not one to post anything offensive either.  I view these places like a social gathering place and I wouldn't engage in drama in real life either.

I also google my name periodically to make sure nothing weird is popping up.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
I have a very searchable first name.  If I google myself, there are no other people who come up with that name.  But all you'll find is 3 or 4 scientific papers on which I'm listed as a coauthor because I did a lot of the research the papers were based on.

I don't have much of an on-line presence, though.  I post here and a couple of dating sites where I don't use my real name.  I just got a Facebook account.  I use my very common last name but not my first name.  My first initial is M so I'm Em [very common last name] there so I'm not searchable.  I'm not sure I have all the security settings figured out yet so I want to make sure people I don't want to find me won't be able to find me.

I find googling someone isn't all that easy.  I've tried to google some people I've lost touch with and a guy I was thinking about dating but there is more than one person listed for each of them and not all of them have photos so I can't figure out if it is them or not.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Goosey

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
I'm on a lot of social media and I'm fairly active politically and it reflects there. I figure if a company chooses not to hire me because of my political leanings, it's not a place I want to work. Other than that, I don't swear, post pictures of be doing anything illegal (not that I do a lot of that ;) ) or talk about my sex life. So, clean but political.

Ereine

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:21:10 PM »
My Facebook is pretty tame, mostly photos of trees and other interesting things, no partying, illegal activities or insulting my employer. I used to have a semi-anonymous blog (meaning, you couldn't find it by googling my name but my identity wasn't a secret and I met a lot of people through it) and I made the decision that I wouldn't write anything detailed about other people or my job and especially not complain about them or insult them or publish their private stuff, I apply that rule in other social media as well. Not that I actually even want to insult my employers online. I'm the only one with my first and last name anywhere so I try to be extra careful in places where I use my real name, googling me is mostly about a book I wrote and my personal home page.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:27:23 PM by Ereine »

jmarvellous

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 01:32:23 PM »
I use different handles for this site (though I use this one on one other site), Twitter, and Instagram. My first name is on the latter two sites, but not my last.
When I was dating online, I used another screenname altogether. I signed some messages with my first name once we were getting  ready to meet.

I do use first name and last initial on Yelp, but I haven't written any reviews since moving to my new home because I didn't want a few people familiar with that account to find me for at least a while.

Searching my first and last will find my LinkedIn and my semiprofessional blog and writings for my graduate program.

My Facebook has my first and last name on it, but it's not google-able. I post all sorts of things on there, but my life isn't too wild anyway. I know all but 2 or 3 of my "friends" personally, and when I found out that some distant relatives were sharing information about my life with my father who I've given the cut direct to, I defriended and blocked them. I link my Instagram to my Facebook; I believe I've also shared tweets on there, but not in a long time. I have real-life friends on both accounts.

Our task is to set up a presence we're comfortable with, and to share or not share it with others as we are comfortable. I try not to link anything to my real identity that I would be embarrassed about or that might create complications in 'real life.'