News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 24, 2016, 03:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Synesthesia and stuff like that  (Read 1017 times)

vintagegal

Re: Synesthesia and stuff like that
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 04:48:57 PM »
I have what I believe to be a form of synesthesia that relates to time.  I "see" time in my mind in unusual ways.  The most pronounced is a year, which is oval shaped.  So if I were to think about an event coming up in a few months, I would "see" myself in the place in the oval where the current month lies, and I would "see" the event in it's spot, and the time to wait would be the space in between.  It's very hard to explain.  If I think about Christmas, I envision it in a particular spot on the oval, and those places on the oval never change. 

A week is a little simpler, I see those as a line with Monday at one end and Sunday at the other.

Curious, how do most people "see" or picture a year?

I picture a year the same way, a vertical oval. A week is a horizontal oval.  I see numbers in 3 dimensional space, starting with 1-12 like the face of a clock, then going out in a straight line to 30, making a 90 degree turn and going up to 100, making another turn, etc. So when I think of 34, say, it is always in its "space."

My late DH associated letters with colors, so that if he was trying to think of someone's name, he might say, It starts with either an M or a D, because it is yellow. His son does the same thing, but the colors do not match, they compared notes once.

Peppergirl

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 04:50:44 PM »
So what's it called if you have an absolutely horrible memory, but an almost perfect recall of numbers, dates, etc?

I can recall my phone number from when I was 4 years old.  We moved when I was 5, and the phone number changed. I remember both.  My parents moved out of the second house almost 20 years ago. So both numbers are pretty old.  At least with the second number, I used it regularly for many years..the first number though?  No idea how I can recall it. I'm 47 now. 

And dates: A couple of weeks ago when something compelled me to stare at the calendar intently.  The next day (August 3rd) was the 30th anniversary of my Uncle's very untimely death.  The family was gobsmacked when I told them.

These are not extraordinary for me..I've been like this for years.  I've never actually researched it, though.

Now with regard to names, faces, overall memory in general...quite poor.

Update: I checked a bit and got a hit on a couple of adult ADD forums. Makes a certain sense.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:24:37 PM by Peppergirl »

GardenGal

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 06:29:31 PM »
I'm fortunate to have really terrific hearing.  My family told me from when I was little that I took after my maternal grandmother, who they swore "could hear the grass grow."  When I was in my early 20s I worked in a science research lab in a room that was custom-built to be soundproof so that I could make notes on tape-recorded animal noises.  I kept complaining to my boss that the background noise (when the tape recorder was off) was annoying, and he swore that there couldn't be any background noise in this special room.  Finally he decided that what I must be hearing was Brownian motion, the noise of the random movement of particles in the air.  It still bothers me at night sometimes, when the whole house is quiet.  It could also be the sound of the blood flowing in my ears, I guess, which might be more likely. Luckily, it isn't loud enough to be distracting. 

Of course, I also hear sounds in the house that no one else hears, so it's always up to me to find the thing that is squeaking (an automatic timer alarm on our dishwasher) or to figure out what that annoying soft bang is (ice cubes dropping into the box in our freezer from the ice maker).  Our son also has exceptional hearing, so when he was little we had to go outside the house if we wanted to talk about something we didn't want him to hear.  And don't get me started about the awful noise that snails make in the garden when they're chewing our leaves - ugh!

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 07:16:37 PM »
I have what I believe to be a form of synesthesia that relates to time.  I "see" time in my mind in unusual ways.  The most pronounced is a year, which is oval shaped.  So if I were to think about an event coming up in a few months, I would "see" myself in the place in the oval where the current month lies, and I would "see" the event in it's spot, and the time to wait would be the space in between.  It's very hard to explain.  If I think about Christmas, I envision it in a particular spot on the oval, and those places on the oval never change. 

A week is a little simpler, I see those as a line with Monday at one end and Sunday at the other.

I do the same thing!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 07:29:53 PM »
I associate scents with a colour.  So a particular perfume will be orange, or purple, or green to me.  I can also pick things out of my pocket by colour - say I have two items the same, I can pick the one I want without looking, around 75% of the time.  That rises to around 90% if I'm selecting bank notes, but that could be a texture variation, Aussie notes vary a little in size and texture as well as colour.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:04:08 AM »
I have said things smell green or purple for a long time (and gotten weird reactions to it), but I never associated it with synesthesia because I don't see an overwhelming flash of color like I assumed synesthetes do. Is that accurate?

o_gal

« Reply #36 on: Today at 06:29:08 AM »

I do the same thing!

Me too! The calendar year is definitely an oval, with July at the top and January at the bottom. The week is also a line, with a little wrap-around loop for the weekend. I think that one comes from seeing a month as a standard calendar month.

For me, it's numbers and colors. Each number has a distinct color
1 - white
2 - yellow
3 - green
4 - purplish-red
5 - red
6 - blue
7 - purple
8 - orange
9 - brown or black
0 - clear

bridalviolet

« Reply #37 on: Today at 06:41:26 AM »

I've always done it this way: the year is shaped like a capital letter D, with January at the top, July at the fattest part and December at the bottom of the curve. At midnight on December 31, time whooshes upwards to the top of the D and we start all over again with January 1.
Weird?

knitwicca

« Reply #38 on: Today at 07:00:07 AM »
I wonder whether GS#2 is a supertaster. He is an incredibly picky eater... beyond anything I have ever seen.

DD (his mom) is also very picky about textures. (I wrote before that she is a supertaster). 

Does anyone know whether there is a genetic link?

Kimberami

« Reply #39 on: Today at 07:49:00 AM »
I always thought of numbers and letters as having emotions.  I dunno what's up with that.
I have a thing about hearing.  I have a lot of trouble with loud noises.  They make me jittery nervous.  It drives me crazy because my DD absolutely loves a particular youtuber who shouts in his videos.  By the time the video is half over, I am a nervous wreck.  If I hear noises from two or more directions, I makes me nauseous.  Am I just imagining it?  Is that a thing?
Oh Rocky!

Mustard

« Reply #40 on: Today at 07:55:54 AM »
I didn't get past the first page of the questionnaire...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2997002/Do-synaesthesia-Online-test-reveals-perceive-colours-tastes-sounds.html

My life is obviously a lot duller than many folks!

JoieGirl7

« Reply #41 on: Today at 01:28:54 PM »

I have the same thing!

But, I see two years as one circuit--kind of like a roller coaster, travel up to new year's eve and then down to summer and back up to new years eve--going around the coaster once is two years.

Same thing with weeks--2 at a time, weekends are up, mid weeks down.

6 years ago, i stayed awake for around 36 hours straight and broke my synesthesia, instead of being on "this" week, I was now on "that" week.  I have the feeling only someone else who sees time as a physical construct like that would understand.

The most jarring thing was that payday was always on "that" monday and ever since that day 6 years ago, it's now on "this" monday.

I know I must sound like a complete raver!  ;)