News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 06:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread  (Read 424 times)

Cali.in.UK

Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« on: Yesterday at 02:52:55 PM »
Hey everyone. I've been job hunting for four months now and it's bumming me out. It's not a fun process but most people have to go through it at some point. Since I've been looking, the topic of job hunting comes into conversation a lot and my friends have shared cringe-worthy interviews or just funny things that happened to them in their own unemployment experience and those stories made me laugh so I thought we could do that as well.
My one friend is a dietician and at her hospital they need people who can hit the ground running because they are so busy. She said while they were interviewing a woman for the open dietician position she had the strangest things to say.
Q1:How did you become interested in this career?
A1:Well, I used to work at a senior citizen's home and I thought, ew old people!

Q2: Where do you see yourself in two years?
A2: Well, I really just want to get married and have lots of kids!
Q2: Um, we mean "professionally"

Are there other people on here looking for work and/or people who have words of advice or funny stories about job searching?

Cherry91

Re: Current job hunting ehellions - story sharing thread
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:50:27 PM »
I'm currently job hunting, with a little bit of temping thrown in when times get tight.

I went to a group job interview a few weeks back (7 candidates, each question was asked and then we went around the table and each person answered in a different order each time).

The interviewer asked where we wanted to be in 5 years, and everyone started giving their answers... until we reached one candidate, who shrugged and said in a very unbothered voice "Dunno."

Cue needle scratch sound.

Everyone was staring at him in shock. That is one of the most common questions in a job interview. Even if you truly don't know, you lie! Or at least pretty up your answer more than "Dunno!"

The group interview was weird in another way - everyone is trying to sell themselves, of course, but it's weird to be in a room where almost everyone there is doing the exact same thing. Everyone sounded a bit hollow and artificial, and I'm sure I sounded the same to them.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:25:18 PM »
Yeah, group interviews are rough and it always feels like you are a contestant on the Bachelorette or something. Good luck Cherry.

An interview technique that has really been throwing me off lately is the overly enthusiastic/praising/positive interviewer who has no intention of hiring me. It's so odd. I feel like in 95% of situations I can read people, which in the past included interviewers, but I've gone to a few job interviews in which the interviewer really made me feel like I was a good fit, and I left the interview feeling really confident and then.... nothing. Not even a second round interview.
Has anyone else encountered it? Now I don't know what to think after interviews.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:35:20 PM »
Well this happened many many years ago (around 28 years ago) - we were interviewing someone for my job and a candidate came to the interview... with her husband. And I don't mean that he drove her or something, he came into the interview and asked the questions. we shut that one down quickly. Even for a country which was a bit behind the 'enlightenment' scene, that was bizarre.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

FauxFoodist

« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:49:32 PM »
Well this happened many many years ago (around 28 years ago) - we were interviewing someone for my job and a candidate came to the interview... with her husband. And I don't mean that he drove her or something, he came into the interview and asked the questions. we shut that one down quickly. Even for a country which was a bit behind the 'enlightenment' scene, that was bizarre.

This one reminds me that there's a physician who keeps calling our office and popping in trying to find a job for his wife (she's licensed for our particular area).  The doctor seems to think that she could just apply and, poof!, we give her a job because he happens to work for the university as well.  The problem is that his wife volunteered, a *single* day, for one of our off-site areas, and spent the day prancing around as if she were queen and did absolutely nothing then never came back.  Both physician and wife are from a different country (have no idea where) so I don't know if his behavior is a cultural norm in their home country.  He's very annoying.  I don't know what he's thinking, especially working for a public university.  We can't just give people jobs (much less to someone who is useless); we'd get in a lot of trouble for that.  All hiring is done as part of a competitive process.  I don't think he even realizes that his constant pestering just makes his wife even less likely of a prospective employee because he's such a pest, and it wouldn't be worth hiring her, even if she were amazing, if we had to deal with him all the time.

Snooks

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:34:54 PM »

This one reminds me that there's a physician who keeps calling our office and popping in trying to find a job for his wife (she's licensed for our particular area).  The doctor seems to think that she could just apply and, poof!, we give her a job because he happens to work for the university as well.  The problem is that his wife volunteered, a *single* day, for one of our off-site areas, and spent the day prancing around as if she were queen and did absolutely nothing then never came back.  Both physician and wife are from a different country (have no idea where) so I don't know if his behavior is a cultural norm in their home country.  He's very annoying.  I don't know what he's thinking, especially working for a public university.  We can't just give people jobs (much less to someone who is useless); we'd get in a lot of trouble for that.  All hiring is done as part of a competitive process.  I don't think he even realizes that his constant pestering just makes his wife even less likely of a prospective employee because he's such a pest, and it wouldn't be worth hiring her, even if she were amazing, if we had to deal with him all the time.

Unfortunately universities seem to be one of those twilight zone style employers where sometimes your husband/wife working there does get you a job (if they are valued highly enough).  We ended up with a guy working for us (and heading up a whole division that did nothing useful for five years) because the university wanted his wife as a professor.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:25:07 PM »
I'm in a good position now, top of the hourly permanent positions in my area at the university, but will be looking for a salaried position in May, so signing up for updates. I've already updated my résumé and CV in preparation.