News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 21, 2017, 06:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 149940 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #1005 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
Despite repeated phone calls, i have not been able to get anyone from my local Best Buy on the phone, to arrange for hauling away my two tvs. so i called one of those junk removal companies. surprisingly, they were the same cost, and he agreed to waive the $25 for each tv fee for separating the lead etc. so it will cost me the same as best buy, plus they will take a small filing cabinet I have as well.

and they had a slot on Sat, so they are coming then, and i can have my apartment back and in full, decluttered order!!!!

AvidReader

« Reply #1006 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
Despite repeated phone calls, i have not been able to get anyone from my local Best Buy on the phone, to arrange for hauling away my two tvs. so i called one of those junk removal companies. surprisingly, they were the same cost, and he agreed to waive the $25 for each tv fee for separating the lead etc. so it will cost me the same as best buy, plus they will take a small filing cabinet I have as well.

and they had a slot on Sat, so they are coming then, and i can have my apartment back and in full, decluttered order!!!!

Yay!  Unless the TVs were tucked away in a closet, they've probably been an astronomical black hole wherever they were located; drawing all the attention in the room. If so, that room is going to suddenly feel so much larger.

Yesterday we spent the day at DFIL's former home interviewing estate sales people.  Yikes, the place is overstuffed.  Just short of the goat paths of a hoarder, so says the woman whose DH describes her decorating style as "spartan."  ;)  I came home and started on a tear through the house asking myself that if I was going to move, would I pack whatever I put my hands on.  If the answer was "no" into the trash or donation it went.  Two bags into the trash and a box filled for donation.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1007 on: January 17, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

Yay!  Unless the TVs were tucked away in a closet, they've probably been an astronomical black hole wherever they were located; drawing all the attention in the room. If so, that room is going to suddenly feel so much larger.

Yesterday we spent the day at DFIL's former home interviewing estate sales people.  Yikes, the place is overstuffed.  Just short of the goat paths of a hoarder, so says the woman whose DH describes her decorating style as "spartan."  ;)  I came home and started on a tear through the house asking myself that if I was going to move, would I pack whatever I put my hands on.  If the answer was "no" into the trash or donation it went.  Two bags into the trash and a box filled for donation.

One anyway! the other is in a corner of my LR, behind a chair. But, what I want to do is have that space clear, put a really nice wrought iron floor lamp i got from my mom behind the chair, and a small table at the side, for a reading nook.

The other? is on top of a filing cabinet in my BR, between my dresser and a small table i have my current tv on. So i see it every day!

Good luck with your decluttering! its a huge job. I'm pretty much done once these three things are gone. i am so happy to finally have gotten it together to make it happen!

gmatoy

« Reply #1008 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
Thank you for posting! I had chemo fatigue on Sunday, so didn't do much. Then I did laundry on Monday and back for chemo today. When we got out, we decided to go get our DGD and bring her home for lunch. So I made waffles for all of us. When DH took her home, I did the dishes. Again, not much done...but, because of decluttering, I make sure to make my bed, wash the dishes, and throw out mail ASAP. So that is a plus. Off to do one more drawer...see you later!

lorelai

« Reply #1009 on: Yesterday at 09:16:57 PM »
It took me all week to get it done, because of a sick kid and a work deadline, but I have officially cleaned out my entire walk-in closet and decluttered it of my extraneous possessions. This includes all clothes, jewelry, makeup, and a few other things like books and knick knacks (because we have bookshelves in there and not enough bookshelf space in the rest of the house). I feel so amazing when I walk in there, I just can't believe how good that accomplishment feels! I've been slowly decluttering the house, a drawer here, a section there, but I haven't yet finished a room, so this represents a huge step forward for me to not have to worry about my closet at all.

What my cleaned and decluttered space leaves out there in the open for us to see is my husband's clutter. But I have confidence that he will be inspired to tackle his space too. He'll definitely be excited by the empty bookshelves.

Next up, my bathroom, which includes medicines and toiletries.

I have a question for you all. What do you think is a good frequency for going back to re-declutter your items? I want to program into my online task manager a reminder to go back to my clothes, jewelry, etc. How frequently would you declutter those in an ideal world?

gmatoy

« Reply #1010 on: Yesterday at 11:14:41 PM »
I managed to get the top of the dresser in the closet cleaned off. I couldn't make myself get rid of my Army uniforms. I will never be able to wear it, but I know that so much of my history is tied to when I wore that uniform. But I now have 3 bags to go out!

Next week, laundry area closet. The shelves above the washer and dryer are a huge disaster! And, since the washer hasn't worked in a while, the top of the washer is also a disaster!

gmatoy

« Reply #1011 on: Today at 01:59:49 PM »
This #*@#* thread is guilting me into getting off the computer and finding a drawer to declutter!  Fine! (Said in teen angst voice.) I'll just leave then!!

lorelai

« Reply #1012 on: Today at 02:41:52 PM »
This #*@#* thread is guilting me into getting off the computer and finding a drawer to declutter!  Fine! (Said in teen angst voice.) I'll just leave then!!

Haha, you can do it!! One drawer and then reward yourself.