News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 25, 2017, 03:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 951490 times)

Hillia

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #5430 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »
*the tiny pocket on jeans - it's for pocket watches

That reminds me. One thing that "everybody knows" is that jeans were invented when Levi Strauss showed up in California during the Gold Rush with a load of canvas, planning to sell tents. Miners told him that what they really needed was trousers that didn't fall apart under mining conditions, so he used his tent canvas to make pants and the rest is history.

I recently learned that that is not what happened. Levi Strauss arrived in San Francisco in 1849 to open a branch of the family dry goods business--selling fabric, clothing, household stuff, etc. In 1872, Levi, now a prosperous & prominent merchant, got a business proposal from a customer, a Reno, Nevada tailor named Jacob Davis. Davis made things like horse blankets and wagon covers with fabric he bought from the Levi Strauss company. A customer asked him if he could make some really sturdy trousers. He made them out of duck, a fabric similar to canvas, but lighter in weight. He used rivets on his horse blankets and came up with the idea of using the rivets to reinforce pockets. Soon, men all over Reno were wearing riveted pants made of duck and denim. Davis wanted to patent the trousers, but couldn't afford it, so asked Levi to partner with him. Levi agreed, paid for the patent attorneys, and in 1873, a patent was granted for "riveted pantaloons."

The company records were lost in the 1906 SF earthquake & fire, but it is known that Davis was hired to run the manufacturing end, and also prospered.

Legend  has it that the original design had a rivet in the crotch, also...makes sense as that's a stress point.  Customers complained, but it wasn't until Levi himself went camping and wore a pair of jeans. One night crouched around a campfire was enough to convince him that metal rivets in that location weren't a great idea.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5431 on: March 22, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Legend  has it that the original design had a rivet in the crotch, also...makes sense as that's a stress point.  Customers complained, but it wasn't until Levi himself went camping and wore a pair of jeans. One night crouched around a campfire was enough to convince him that metal rivets in that location weren't a great idea.

Sort of. There was indeed a rivet at the bottom of the button fly. It was removed during the 1940s, primarily because the War Production Board ordered manufacturers to reduce use of metals needed for military use. It didn't hurt that the then president of the company personally learned of the heating problem during a family camp out. They also removed rivets from the watch pockets. The watch pocket rivets returned, but not the crotch rivet.

According to a talk I heard by a company historian, Mr. Strauss never wore Levis.They were workingman's clothing. As a prosperous businessman, he always wore a suit and tie.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

o_gal

« Reply #5432 on: March 23, 2017, 06:19:46 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think it might be against the rules to call it "cream" of mushroom soup if it doesn't actually contain cream.

???

Look at my post - it clearly says:

•CREAM (MILK),

I don't think they would put cream down as an ingredient unless it was actual cream.

The "silly things you've had to tell people" about that is that they have to mark it as "(MILK)" so that some people with milk allergies will know that the cream is made from "(MILK)". Kind of like a warning on a package of peanuts that state that the product was produced in a factory and may have been exposed to peanuts  ::)

Shalamar

« Reply #5433 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »

•CREAM (MILK),

Oh, I know - sorry - my post was more directed at my mother-in-law and anyone else who didn't realize that food that's called "cream of whatever" will almost definitely contain actual cream.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5434 on: March 23, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »

•CREAM (MILK),

Oh, I know - sorry - my post was more directed at my mother-in-law and anyone else who didn't realize that food that's called "cream of whatever" will almost definitely contain actual cream.

I haven't seen a vegan version available in stores.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5435 on: March 23, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
I found a vegan version. It is called "Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup." Sold by Imagine Foods. They have other vegan "creamy" soups as well. Looking at the ingredients, I infer that the "creaminess" comes from a combination of potatoes and tapioca starch.

But I also found soups from other companies called "Creamy Something or Other" that contain cream.

Here are the US Standards for condensed cream soups (I found nothing for ready-to-eat soup):
Cream: Condensed cream soups may be made from various creams, whole milk, or dry milk powder. The amount of cream, whole milk, or dry milk powder should provide a minimum of .45 percent butterfat to the final product.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

o_gal

Here are the US Standards for condensed cream soups (I found nothing for ready-to-eat soup):
Cream: Condensed cream soups may be made from various creams, whole milk, or dry milk powder. The amount of cream, whole milk, or dry milk powder should provide a minimum of .45 percent butterfat to the final product.

Less than 1%? Or did that just get written weirdly?

Hmmmmm

Less than 1%? Or did that just get written weirdly?

I think it is saying that the milk, cream or powder milk used must have a minimum of .45 percent butterfat. So a condensed soup that was made from skim milk wouldn't count but a soup made with 2% milk or 1% milk would in addition to whole milk or creams.