News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 20, 2017, 05:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 411872 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1665 on: February 12, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
The California bag ban applies to liquor stores, convenience stores, and stores with pharmacies (although the pharmacy itself can supply bags for meds.) it also applies to stores that sell certain canned goods, dry goods, and perishables. The last time I stocked up on cat food, the pet store manager thanked me for bringing my own bags. He was weary of dealing with SS customers who tell him he is lying and demand bags.

I do admit, however, that I really miss having a free supply of cat box bags.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MaryR

• Will work for cupcakes.
« Reply #1666 on: February 12, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »
We don't have bag bans yet, but I've been using canvas bags for years. It took a while, but I finally managed to get DH in the habit of using the canvas bags I ensured he always had in his vehicle. One day I realized that we had no plastic bags in our home. I was so proud. For about 4 hours at which point I went to scoop out the litter boxes and realized that we had no plastic bags in our home.

I like to pretend that I'm all smart and stuff, but there are times when I just don't think things through!

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1667 on: February 12, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
We don't have bag bans yet, but I've been using canvas bags for years. It took a while, but I finally managed to get DH in the habit of using the canvas bags I ensured he always had in his vehicle. One day I realized that we had no plastic bags in our home. I was so proud. For about 4 hours at which point I went to scoop out the litter boxes and realized that we had no plastic bags in our home.

I like to pretend that I'm all smart and stuff, but there are times when I just don't think things through!

What do you use to line your garbage cans instead of plastic bags (or do you just mean the plastic *grocery* bags)?  I would be stumped for a non-disposable substitute for garbage can liners.

MaryR

• Will work for cupcakes.
« Reply #1668 on: February 12, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
You are 100% correct, I wasn't clear. Yes, I was speaking of the plastic grocery store bags that we only used when we were scooping the boxes. There were other options, no cats were harmed or even inconvenienced by my boneheaded move.

Rose

« Reply #1669 on: February 14, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »
Different counties in California have their own bag rules.  In San Francisco a bag will cost you a dime, in neighboring San Mateo it is a quarter. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1670 on: February 14, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »
I am so excited to be going to Ikea to pick up some furniture, so I can get a few more reusable bags from them, which my cats love. I'm going to put cushions in them and turn them into double beds for the cats.  >:D
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

EmmaJ.

« Reply #1671 on: February 14, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
We will need to see that picture!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1672 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »
I am so excited to be going to Ikea to pick up some furniture, so I can get a few more reusable bags from them, which my cats love. I'm going to put cushions in them and turn them into double beds for the cats.  >:D

I love that IKEA. I have to stay out of it because I go a little spend crazy, though, my DH is worse there.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

« Reply #1673 on: February 14, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »

I love that IKEA. I have to stay out of it because I go a little spend crazy, though, my DH is worse there.  :P

Where else can you get sparkling Lingonberry juice?  ;D
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #1674 on: February 15, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »

And gooseberry jam!

o_gal

« Reply #1675 on: February 15, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »

And gooseberry jam!

And tarta chokladkrokant! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60212481/

ladyknight1

« Reply #1676 on: February 15, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
I do have to say that I love my $8 Lack table, and I will get a few more for the new house.
-J.R.R Tolkien

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1677 on: February 15, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »

And gooseberry jam!

And tarta chokladkrokant! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60212481/

Oh my!!  I don't recall seeing that anywhere!  I Must Find It!! 

Since I bought my house, I'm a huge fan of Ikea.  I always seem to have a small list somewhere of more stuff that I need to pick up for my house. 

o_gal

« Reply #1678 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:44 AM »
IKEA food alert - every year at Christmas they do a Julbord. It's usually somewhere in early December, maybe sometime near Dec 6. They put out a smorgasbord of all kinds of yummy stuff. You have to buy tickets in advance, but you get a significant discount if you have the IKEA Family card (normally $16.99 per person, $12.99 for IKEA Family members, so there's the cheapskate angle).

Here's what they had this year (they also had mac&cheese for kids who weren't into things like gravad lax w/ mustard sauce):

Assorted Herring
Gravad Lax w/ Mustard Sauce
Najad Salmon w/ Horseradish Sauce
Hard boiled Eggs w/ Shrimp
Swedish Cucumber Salad
Red Beet Salad
Swedish Potato Salad
Christmas Ham
Prinskorv Sausages
Assorted Cheeses
Meatballs & Lingonberries
Red Cabbage
Boiled Potatoes w/ Dill
GRATÄNG Jansson
Crispbread, thin bread & soft wheat bread
Swedish Rice Pudding w/ Almonds
Assorted Desserts
Glögg

And pretty much everything was available in the grocery section :-)