Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 655659 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #3405 on: Yesterday at 09:55:45 AM »
I got one today:
Header: Order is Processed
Order Notification,

ELECTRONIC TICKET / ET-53380911
SEAT / 29E/ZONE 3
DATE / TIME 3 NOVEMBER, 2014, 12:55 PM
ARRIVING / Charlotte
FORM OF PAYMENT / XXXXXX
TOTAL PRICE / 299.61 USD
REF / KE.8531 ST / OK
BAG / 3PC

Your ticket is attached.
You can print your ticket.

Thank you
Delta Air Lines.

Since I actually have travel planned on Delta in the near future, this one got me to actually open the email.  Figured out pretty quickly it was bogus, but they did get me to read it, so yay them, I guess.

I presume this is the virus-type scam when you open the attachment?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3406 on: Yesterday at 11:02:41 AM »
I presume this is the virus-type scam when you open the attachment?

There are other versions of this one. Basically, you are informed about something expensive that you have supposedly purchased--a plane ticket, a huge Amazon order, something via eBay, etc.

They hope you will be panicked about credit card fraud and and reply to the email or call the "customer service number."  When you do, you will be asked to provide your credit card number, so "we can research this for you." The research consists of adding your credit card number to a list being sold to hackers.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Jones

« Reply #3407 on: Yesterday at 01:52:37 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/uk-man-faked-coma-2-years-avoid-court-121413052.html

Man fakes multiple health issues in order to avoid court, caught out because he used a shopper's loyalty card and the security videos were pulled.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3408 on: Yesterday at 04:29:20 PM »
We must appear to be dumbest librarians on the face of the earth...and I love the lie this lady told to get out of paying a five dollar fine on a movie.  Movies are fined a dollar a day for every day overdue.  It was due on September 24th and she returned it on the 30th, so, excluding Sunday when we are closed, she was five days late. 

Because the wheels of justice turn slowly these days, she didn't get her bill reminding her to return the DVD until today, at which time she called our downtown library, screaming bloody murder because "I shouldn't have to pay this because I returned it to (My Branch) this morning at 10 a.m."

My colleague (who is new and awesomely calm and serene in the face of lunacy) told her that if that was the case, then she was going to have to pay a lot more than five dollars. Like fifteen or twenty dollars.  I guess the woman hung up on her. 

Not only had she returned the movie last month, the movie had been checked out twice since then.

So to get out of a five dollar fine, she was going to claim she had kept the movie longer, even though it was now in someone else's possession. 

daen

« Reply #3409 on: Today at 10:15:43 AM »
We must appear to be dumbest librarians on the face of the earth...and I love the lie this lady told to get out of paying a five dollar fine on a movie.  Movies are fined a dollar a day for every day overdue.  It was due on September 24th and she returned it on the 30th, so, excluding Sunday when we are closed, she was five days late. 

Because the wheels of justice turn slowly these days, she didn't get her bill reminding her to return the DVD until today, at which time she called our downtown library, screaming bloody murder because "I shouldn't have to pay this because I returned it to (My Branch) this morning at 10 a.m."

My colleague (who is new and awesomely calm and serene in the face of lunacy) told her that if that was the case, then she was going to have to pay a lot more than five dollars. Like fifteen or twenty dollars.  I guess the woman hung up on her. 

Not only had she returned the movie last month, the movie had been checked out twice since then.

So to get out of a five dollar fine, she was going to claim she had kept the movie longer, even though it was now in someone else's possession.

Huh? How does that explanation work in any known universe? "You can't fine me for having the movie out past its due date, because I actually had it for longer past the due date than you claim I did!"

It's too early in my day to deal with this - even third-hand. Your colleague has my admiration, and all librarians who deal with this kind of crazy have my sympathies.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3410 on: Today at 11:23:46 AM »
The bots that send out spam often put random words in the subject line to try to fool ISP spam filters. I just got one of those fake notifications from Facebook:

You have new Facebook messages, whiner.

(It didn't work, I found it in my spam folder when I was looking for an email that seemed ot have gone astry.)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3411 on: Today at 12:22:53 PM »
The bots that send out spam often put random words in the subject line to try to fool ISP spam filters. I just got one of those fake notifications from Facebook:

You have new Facebook messages, whiner.

(It didn't work, I found it in my spam folder when I was looking for an email that seemed ot have gone astry.)

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Hey, Let's start insulting them!  That's what it takes to get them to open the attachment.

Reminds me of a restaurant near my house:
                Server Needed
                Crab Legs

The first time we saw it, my sister said, "Is that sign calling me Crab Legs?"
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy