News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 09, 2016, 12:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone ever used a moving pod?  (Read 939 times)

MOM21SON

Has anyone ever used a moving pod?
« on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:04 PM »
We are having trouble deciding what size.

Thanks in advance!

HorseFreak

Re: Has anyone ever used a moving pod?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:52:43 PM »
I used ABF U-Pack with the equivalent of 1 bedroom of furniture for one person. I completely filled one unit. That included a full size mattress and box spring, a loveseat and a few other smaller pieces of furniture. ABF was WAY cheaper than Pods.

Really?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:30:31 PM »
I haven't  used one but seen other in my neighbourhood use them successfully.  I have used self storage before and simply ask the person working there what there recommendation was. I used a 10 x 20 ft for a 3 bedroom house and it was packed.

Have you posed the question to the company you are going to rent it from. In case you have and they gave more then one option, I would say take the slightly larger one, unless you are majorly purging also.

HGolightly

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »
We did when we moved a few years ago and it was great! To be fair, we were not moving a lot of furniture. You can get a lot of stuff in there as long as you are able to stack things high up. We had everything clearly labelled by room so unpacking was pretty easy. The previous owners of the house wee very kind and let us have the pod delivered the day before possession date.

What did I like best? I was able to pack bit by bit over the course of a month and was able to clean and empty the house efficiently.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »
In terms of size?  Two sizes larger than you think you need.   ;D

I would ask the people you are renting it from what they recommend.  Be clear what your house is like - It's a 3 bedroom with minimalist living, though we do have 5 kids.  Or it's a 4 bedroom with some mild packratishness.  They'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

I'm moving, too.  BF and I bought a 20 ft with 4 ft v-nose enclosed car hauler.  I figured I could get practically my whole house in there.  Boy, was I wrong!  I've hired movers with their biggest truck to take the majority of the house.  After we get the trailer unpacked, we'll go back to the house to get the rest of the things, which hopefully won't be much.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »
Be aware of security

I've read internet stories of people getting robbed by thieves who seemed to be specifically targeting pods. The assumption was the house was un occupied and that valuable would be in the pod.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

GardenGal

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »
We used a pod on our last move, about 10 years ago, and it was great!  We actually filled 2 pods, packing them carefully as to what went in each one and where. We moved into a house that wasn't completed (tho it was legal to occupy it). One pod with the least-needed stuff stayed at the pod storage place for many months while we finished up the house (we built it ourselves). When we got that 2nd pod delivered it sat in our driveway for a few weeks as we slowly found places to put the contents. All the arrangements went smoothly and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
Because of this thread, I took a look at the cost and will use Pack Rat for our upcoming move.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:38:41 PM »
We used Pack Rat on our move from Ca to Nj. Read the fine print carefully. It also did not help that they lost our pods (we arrived in Nj when Hurricane Sandy hit). When they found our pods they left them in an unsecured storage location 65 miles away from our temp housing. They would also not permit us access to them for two weeks. Everything was rectified in the end, but they added more stress to an already stressful time. I would not use them again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:01:12 PM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

MOM21SON

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
We have seriously done some purging.  We are only taking 4 pieces of furniture.  No couch, no beds no dressers.  But we seem to have the mega load of storage containers.  We have a 16 ft on hold.  We are considering a 12 foot.  Pod was the only company that returned our call in a timely manner, and that is HUGE to me.

Those that have used a pod, is it better to go bigger or smaller as far as things rattling around?  I think smaller?

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »
The more tightly you can pack stuff, the less it will shift while being transported. Be sure to wrap every item very very carefully, though.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver