Author Topic: Horror movies - recommendations  (Read 763 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Horror movies - recommendations
« Reply #45 on: Today at 08:40:15 AM »
Well she's 13. Friday the 13th might be a little gory.

The English language version of The Grudge might interest her, though.

123Sandy

« Reply #46 on: Today at 08:48:49 AM »
Well she's 13. Friday the 13th might be a little gory.

The English language version of The Grudge might interest her, though.

I meant the original from the '80s. I watched that and I hate horror. There are a lot of films recommended on here I wouldn't let my 15 year old watch.

Cherry91

« Reply #47 on: Today at 09:49:32 AM »
Did anyone mention Hallowe'en, Scream or Friday the 13th yet?

The Scream series is fantastic, but it can be pretty gory and have some pretty nasty moments (the garage door scene will stay with me my entire life...)

123Sandy

« Reply #48 on: Today at 09:55:39 AM »

The Scream series is fantastic, but it can be pretty gory and have some pretty nasty moments (the garage door scene will stay with me my entire life...)

Obviously this was not the thread for me to try being helpful in... :D ;D

Cherry91

« Reply #49 on: Today at 09:58:12 AM »

Obviously this was not the thread for me to try being helpful in... :D ;D

I've got to admit, half of what I'd recommend to a horror film fan has to be nixed here because I would NOT show it to a 13 year old. OP's niece does watch Hannibal though...

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #50 on: Today at 05:30:52 PM »
Not sure whether this counts as horror, but it's incredibly terrifying and disturbing: "Threads". A 1980s British mockumentary about nuclear war and its aftermath. (See also the USA movies "Testament" and "The Day After". Similar subject matter, but less graphic).

I own all three of those - took forever to get a copy of Threads on VHS from ebay; I keep hoping to find a DVD version, but I'm not sure I can anymore; I might have to get a region-free dvd player for things like that.

I don't consider them horror, and niece has expressed no interest in those movies. She feels they're too politically motivated (did I mention she's pretty smart for her age?).  They were, for their day, though they could echo today's crisis in Europe. I tend to see these movies as more survivalist than horror. Though if you read about The Day After, the whole movie was almost doomed from the start. It's an interesting read.

http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^