News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 08:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2243210 times)

Sirius

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7155 on: Yesterday at 10:39:14 PM »

As to automated calls, I just signed up with "nomorobo.com". It flags known auto-dialer numbers and these will not ring to the house. And it's free!

Nomorobo doesn't just block everything from an autodialer.  Instead, it uses a blacklist of illegal robocallers to determine which calls to block, so schools, doctors and banks get through fine because they aren't on the blacklist.  It's been great for me!

This?

I just signed up for their beta for Android. Thanks!

My pet-peeve right now is some company out of Miami has found out I'm female, middle-aged, and has decided I need their help in making medical appointments and decisions. No. I did not sign up for any of this.

I read about something similar happening in Las Vegas.  These people would get a power of attorney, then take their "clients" for everything they had, including selling their houses.  The clients would then be put into a nursing or other type of home for people who needed to be watched, and they'd lose their rights. 

Here's the article I read:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

Tell them to take a hike.

LadyBe205

« Reply #7156 on: Yesterday at 11:03:41 PM »
That article is horrifying.   >:( :( :'(

Sirius

« Reply #7157 on: Yesterday at 11:34:10 PM »
Don't mean to scare anyone, but since what LadyKnight1 said sounded like what I read in that article, I wanted to alert everyone.  It sounds like something that could happen way too easily. 

Sirius

« Reply #7158 on: Yesterday at 11:37:03 PM »
Also found that nomorobo.com doesn't work in Oregon.  Mr. Sirius and I went round and round on our carrier's website until I found that posted on the nomorobo help page.  So, I should just keep doing what I'm doing, which is ignore numbers that I don't recognize and periodically check for voicemails. 

L

« Reply #7159 on: Today at 12:06:50 AM »
Thank you so much for linking that article. It is indeed horrifying, and I have passed it along to others who need to see it.