News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 28, 2016, 09:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 179673 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #1515 on: September 26, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
I get the feeling that the reporter has either never heard of HIPAA, has never seen it written down, or is under the mistaken impression that it's the Health Insurance Patient Privacy Act, hence HIPPA, not the Health Insurance Privacy and Accountability Act. That's a fairly easy misconception, because the act really is about respecting patients' privacy rights.

When I first started working in the healthcare insurance industry, nine years ago, I was told that HIPPA stood for "Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act".  Clearly whoever told me that was just blowing smoke, but I still have to remind myself that it's HIPAA and not HIPPA. 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1516 on: Yesterday at 03:39:00 PM »
Our Chief Marketing Officer just sent me an e-mail where he said he was working with our "attorney's" to accomplish something.

This is the person who insists that his department *must* vett everything that goes out. And nit-picks us to death on things.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Airelenaren

« Reply #1517 on: Today at 05:53:45 AM »
I noticed a spreading tendency on mostly social media, in which people write things like "did you closed the door" or "it had went too far". Even some of my friends who are native English speakers use this, and it makes me cringe every time.