my matron of honour lives 900kms from me, and although I was able to fly down to her a couple of times during the 12 month engagement, we didn't get to spend much one-on-one time during that year. BUT, she was the most incredible MOH, for loads of reasons - some of the practical and emotional support she gave me was:
- Pinterest, all the pictures, all the time. she'd send them to me, comment on ones I found and nix the ones that were stupid ideas!
- Gooooogle! - all my "what about..." and "i wonder if....would work/be awesome/be awful" and "if only I could find this one thing for next to no $, then my wedding (and life) would be complete" - she found them, researched, sent links, pics
- We had skype dates in Spotlight (a chain fabric store) when I was looking at bridesmaid dress colours/fabric
- She said YES! when I was excited, and NO when I was about to do something silly
- Called some prospective vendors, teleconferenced others with me
- Gave my (now husband) guidance on how to squash bridezilla, and what bridal magazines to buy me when I just wanted to run away and get married on a ferry on the Hawksbury River on our own
- Sent me 6 different coloured piles of post-it notes
- Got all my bridesmaids talking on FB, and planned a truly awesome hens weekend
- Proof-read all the invites/programs etc that I made
- Helped plan and execute the decorations for the venue
There was so much more, helped by the fact that we are probably on the phone daily, during my commute home from work - but even the smallest things made a difference. She was truly awesome, and if you try any of these things, I am sure your friend would be appreciative!
Oh and she also made friends with my MIL on FB so I wouldn't be the only person she knew at the hens day (and my MIL was Way.Too.Trendy to hang with my mum and the aunts!
If you can find things that you can do to help, that you would find fun (creative stuff? budget management spreadsheets? Whatever), you will have a MUCH better time of it, and feel like you are contributing skill and interest, not just 'doing stuff' - will feel less burdensome for you, and more useful to the bride!