Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1144900 times)

TomatoBunny

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6120 on: August 28, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
Restaurants aren't obligated to make you an entirely new plate of food if just one of the items is a mistake (unless it's a severe food allergy). It's one thing if they put the grilled tomato on your dish and even just the slightest touch of tomato makes you violently ill. But if the steak is underdone or they gave you home fries instead of hash browns? That's just a quick single-item replacement. It's ridiculous and wasteful to think that the entire plate of food should be remade because one item was incorrect. In fact, doing so might delay your meal even further.

While I agree with your sentiment, if they're not going to replace/keep warm the rest of my food, I find it frustrating that they take the whole plate away instead of getting another plate to transfer the problem food to. Is this option really so difficult? Are there some policies in place that prohibit it or something? I would be happy to eat my fries/whatever while waiting for them to properly cook my entree, but that's not the way it usually happens.

They're just giving your meal more problems by taking the whole plate; ideally the plate comes out, everything is warm and nice, but then you have to send it back because of a problem. Then when it returns, hopefully the initial problem is fixed, but everything else involved is usually lukewarm/room-temp and hopefully not what they'd ideally want your experience to be. So now your meal has received two bad marks.  :-\

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6121 on: August 28, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »
I have twice (different chain restaurants) ordered one sandwich (no raw onions, pickles, or mustard - I have had my mouth start itching when eating a yogurt, dill, & cucumber sauce with Greek food - so I am avoiding pickled cucumbers whether or not dill is involved - better safe than sorry).  This would be out of six or eight orders over the last year, I've gotten two sandwiches twice - so I think that I'm being pretty clear most of the time. 

They repeat it back to me & I confirm the order.

Then I get two sandwiches - one "special" and the other with mustard, pickles, and raw onion.  If I am going to pay for two sandwiches, then I want them customized to the way I ordered the first one (I was clearly by myself both times - although I suppose it could be possible that the person taking the order thought that I was that hungry or that there was someone joining me at the table who hadn't finished whatever they were doing in the store or toilet area, yet).

If I order one sandwich, ask for the customization, and don't repeat the order after they repeat it back to me...then I get a sandwich that I can't eat due to pickles, onions, and mustard. 

Once in the same period of time, they didn't update the receipt to reflect the changes...I scraped off the stuff and hoped that there wasn't too much pickle juice soaked into the bun that time (traveling across town and there was no time for a second meal to be made - traffic had been bad & I was running barely on time to make an appointment).

I did not go back & complain later - but one place I will never go back to, even though they are now not a chain burger place but an independent local barbeque place....the other two, will I go in and specify by number what I am ordering, combo (or just the sandwich), and then state the needed changes. 

We'll see how the second local place does next week - I'm not going to be heading there tomorrow...I won't be going shopping in that area again until next week (or even the week after). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6122 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »
DD made the unfortunate mistake of renting a big screen tv (you know @ 300% interest) so I took it back for her...made them give me a receipt (they didn't want to, I insisted). 

Received at least three phone calls over the next six weeks asking for payment or bring the tv back.  Finally dropped by there with receipt in hand, the calls stopped.

To be fair, most of these situations are not deliberate fraud, they're a "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing," sort of thing. Somehow the note that you returned the TV never made it into the file the other people were looking at.

Still incredibly frustrating, though, when one person says, "Oh, yes, I've noted that in the file," and it's not done, or else someone else is looking at a different file.

To a certain extent, if a company is so bad at doing business that they can't manage to keep track of when equipment is returned, when renting equipment is a part of their business, and the problem is not once in a while but an ongoing, regular problem, and yet they continue to send people to collections claiming that the person didn't return it... I'd consider it moral fraud, even if it doesn't meet the legal definition.  When they send the case to collections, they're claiming that they know the person didn't return the equipment.  But they know that they don't know that, that their system is unreliable (trust me, if everybody else in the country knows that they are notorious for this, it can't have escaped their notice as well), and thus they are making a false claim.  I'm not claiming that this is fraud in a legal sense, but I think they are still defrauding their customers and the collection system.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6123 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
I can't remember if I posted this before...

I received a knock on my door, it's a local furniture rental place coming to repossess Susie Smith's 60" television. I'm not Susie Smith and I don't have a 60" television.

He says she must have lived here before you.  No, I am the first and only tenant in this new apartment complex.  He says well they had to have confirmed her address before delivery.  Well they didn't confirm it with me, so I suggest you check with the complex office.

He returns a few days/week later.  I am here to pick up your 60" television for non payment.  I say, again, I do not have a 60" television and I am not Susie Smith, you have the wrong apartment, did you check with the apartment office to see if she is in another apartment?  No, but I checked our files and we confirmed the address so she must have been here at some point, it wasn't a delivery though she picked it up.  I said, is the person that did the "confirming" still working for you?  Uh, no.  Then I suggest you start there.

This is a common scam, you find someone you know working at a rental place and you rent a big item (like a 60" television set) and you get your friend to confirm your information and then you disappear with your new free tv.  Sometimes a payment or two is made then it will turn out that your records have a wrong name, wrong address, wrong ss#, etc. so you can't be found.  Of course your "friend" has long since left this job and now it's someone else's mess to track.

Another version is to get an apartment office employee to verify your address then when they come to repossess the apartment complex has no idea who they are talking about because you never lived there.  That one is a little harder on your credit because they probably have your genuine ss# and/or id#.         

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6124 on: August 29, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
To a certain extent, if a company is so bad at doing business that they can't manage to keep track of when equipment is returned, when renting equipment is a part of their business, and the problem is not once in a while but an ongoing, regular problem, and yet they continue to send people to collections claiming that the person didn't return it... I'd consider it moral fraud, even if it doesn't meet the legal definition.  When they send the case to collections, they're claiming that they know the person didn't return the equipment.  But they know that they don't know that, that their system is unreliable (trust me, if everybody else in the country knows that they are notorious for this, it can't have escaped their notice as well), and thus they are making a false claim.  I'm not claiming that this is fraud in a legal sense, but I think they are still defrauding their customers and the collection system.

I agree with you completely. However, it's often a case of "it's not my job". No one is in charge of hitting that little button that says the stuff was returned. Or, the one person who is forgot, and no one is going to do it for them. I've been through it, and it's enough to make you rip your hair out.

The worst case I ever heard was of a man who for two years was reported as having a serious felony conviction that actually belonged to his brother, because the records department kept telling him, "Oh, yes, we'll change that right away!" and never did it. He finally had to go to a tv ombudsman to clear his name. (It was having a serious affect on his attempts for employment.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #6125 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »
Probably the worst case of corporate split-brain syndrome:

We have to have flood insurance because we live in a 100 year flood plain and we have an FHA mortgage.  The policy effective date is May 1 each year.  This year, there was a big national blowup over flood insurance; for a while it looked as though everyone's premiums were going to go up ridiculous amounts (mine was supposed to go from $1400/yr to over $4k a year).  It was a mess for a while, and it delayed writing my new policy.  Things eventually settled down shortly before the expiration of my old policy, and my premium actually went down to $1200/yr.

My insurance is paid from an escrow account.  Starting in March, I started getting reminders from my mortgage company: make sure to provide proof of an active flood insurance policy by April 30, otherwise we're going to buy flood insurance for you and it will be extremely expensive.  So I start talking to my insurance agent to make sure it's handled.  She says she's sent the paperwork and all is good.

I keep getting more and more urgent notices from the mortgage company.  I contact my insurance company again.  Yes, they sent the documents.  I call the mortgage company insurance department; no, they don't have my policy.  Send it again.  Still no.  And get it done asap, because we're going to buy that super-expensive policy in 7 days.  But I see by looking at my online mortgage statement that the flood insurance premium has been paid to my insurance company, although the premium reflects last year's amount instead of this year's.  The mortgage company insists that they didn't pay it because they didn't have the new documents, and they're going to buy the expensive policy.  I'm losing my mind at this point.

Finally I try calling the bank's main customer service line instead of the phone number that's been on all the correspondence I've received.  I get routed to another area of the insurance department, where a supervisor cheerfully tells me that of course they have my policy, they've had it since the first time my agent sent it, and sure, the correct premium was paid well before the deadline.  The other people I've been dealing with didn't know about any of this because one area is manual processing and one is automatic, and the two don't communicate.  Oh, and the premium is displayed incorrectly on the online statement because they use a 3rd party vendor to do their data entry, and they must have just entered the amount from last year without looking at the actual account activity.

We've only had the mortgage a year, and everything else has been ok, but I keep a very close eye on my statements.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GreenHall

« Reply #6126 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
Hilia,
A small sprinkling of stories like this, right as I was buying my house had me asking to NOT have an escrow account.  Every time I hear another story in this vein, I am just so glad so many people do tell these stories.   And I make sure to take the part of the person who mentioned before that they didn't do an escrow account.

Hillia

« Reply #6127 on: August 29, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Hilia,
A small sprinkling of stories like this, right as I was buying my house had me asking to NOT have an escrow account.  Every time I hear another story in this vein, I am just so glad so many people do tell these stories.   And I make sure to take the part of the person who mentioned before that they didn't do an escrow account.

On the other hand, I'm very glad that my property taxes are paid from an escrow account.  This year saw we had a county treasurer who was at best incompetent; there is a strong suspicion that she was dishonest.  When they finally got in to search her office, there were hundreds of undeposited property tax checks stashed in boxes, in her desk, all over.  At least by having the mortgage company pay my property taxes, I was spared having to prove I'd sent in the check without having anything to back it up - no cancelled check, no bank transaction, no receipt or other evidence of payment - not to mention having a large check outstanding against my account for months.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6128 on: Yesterday at 08:02:07 PM »
My husband has a driver's license for another state, since he's military and it would be kind of ridiculous to have to get a new driver's license every 10-18 months when we move.  He recently bought a car and registered it in his home state.

While he was on a business trip last week, he received a letter.  It said that when the registration office had contacted his insurance company, they had denied that the vehicle was insured.  Therefore, the vehicle registration *and* his driver's license were suspended until he dealt with the problem.

Notice the part where I said that he was out of state on a business trip?  And there had been *no* indication that there was any problem with the insurance at the time of registering the vehicle.  So they just decide, on a whim, that there's a problem, and BAM! your driver's license is suspended.  Can you imagine if he'd gotten pulled over for some minor traffic violation, or just driven by one of those places where they automatically scan your license, and gotten a ticket or even arrested for driving on a suspended license?  And he wouldn't have even known it was suspended!

Several phone calls later, we determined that they *did* have the insurance information and it was correct and the vehicle was insured, but because nobody in the entire U.S. insurance field or registration field *ever* seems to know how the law pertains to out-of-state military, they hadn't known that everything was fine.  They said when they talked to him, "Oh, yes, this happens all the time with out-of-state military.  They get their licenses suspended all the time until it gets straightened out."  And you don't see this as a problem?  <grumbles> 

It was straightened out after about an hour of phone calls and everything's fine now, but he's sending some very annoyed letters to everybody in the related departments over there, because a) suspending a license is pretty serious and they need to give people notice that they have "until such-and-such date" to fix the problem before suspending it, not just notice that it was suspended as of the date of the letter (which in our case was 6 days before the letter was received), b) they need to make it clear to their employees how the law pertains to out-of-state military and stop suspending everybody's licenses, and c) why did they accept everything at registration and send him the plates, and *then* suspend everything later when the insurance apparently didn't confirm it--why not just check with insurance at the time of registration, and send you a notice of the problem before sending you the plates?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6129 on: Yesterday at 10:02:21 PM »
Which insurance company was it?

Ginger G

« Reply #6130 on: Today at 09:01:27 AM »
I am in the middle of a saga with Time Warner Cable - until it gets resolved, I don't want to share too much, but I will simply say that if you are speaking to anyone from TWC, don't believe a word out of their mouths if it has anything to do with their company.  I don't believe the CSR's are doing this intentionally, I believe it is the corporate bosses who set policies that this is how it is done, but I hope to never deal with them again.  Last night, I thanked the CSR for what TWC is doing to me, because it has helped remind us how happy we are to have left them.

Truer words were never spoken about TWC.  I had my own saga with them last year, I may have posted about it earlier in this thread.  At least 3 CSR repeatedly told me they would "start a ticket" on my issue and then failed to do so.  Finally one promised to send my deserved refund which of course never arrived.  I finally got it after several more calls, but they calculated it incorrectly - they deducted the amount of a bill I never even owed them from my refund.  It was only $30 so I just gave up.  They've recently started calling me to sign up with them again.  I told them I would rather throw my tvs and computers in the street then do business with them again.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6131 on: Today at 11:58:20 AM »
The Bell saga continues.  Saturday morning - no tech.  Called them, on the phone for over an hour.  Someone in another department cancelled the appointment!  They finally came Sunday, late morning, when they were supposed to be there by 9:00.  Phone is hooked up and calls can be made but aren't being received very well and the line is so full of static, you can hardly hear it.

I've turned the whole thing over to my brother before I stroke out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6132 on: Today at 12:48:59 PM »
The Bell saga continues.  Saturday morning - no tech.  Called them, on the phone for over an hour.  Someone in another department cancelled the appointment!  They finally came Sunday, late morning, when they were supposed to be there by 9:00.  Phone is hooked up and calls can be made but aren't being received very well and the line is so full of static, you can hardly hear it.

I've turned the whole thing over to my brother before I stroke out.

Why on Earth was it cancelled? I'd be stroking out, too, if I were you. Letters need to be written.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.