News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 02, 2015, 04:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1932573 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #8565 on: August 31, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
My office was split up a couple years ago due to unreconcilable differences between the engineers and accountants.  The accountants made the front page of last Sunday's paper with their names and the amounts of overtime they have been paid over the last 7 years.  Many people have complained about this group abusing OT in the past, but they had management support.

I'm in Hawaii.  "Face" is very important here.  It's a small town pretending to be a big city, but everyone knows everyone else.  I feel kinda sorry for them, but it's not like they didn't benefit greatly over the years, increasing the pay that their retirements will be based upon.  In fact, I expect several of them to retire in the next month.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Browyn

« Reply #8566 on: August 31, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
In my high school, nearly 40 years ago (ugh) there was one section of physics, and the teacher was a well known misogynist.  One of my friends wanted to take physics, and he did everything he could to prevent her.  She'd just be taking up a seat in class that a boy should have; everyone knew that in a few years she'd be living in a trailer park, barefoot and pregnant (and those were his exact words, spoken to my friend).  It took some intervention by adults to get her into that class, where he proceeded to make her life miserable.

After graduation she became an environmental engineer, and with her husband built a wildly successful consulting business that provided them with a very comfortable income to enjoy with their two lovely sons.

Wow.  She had my high school physics teacher?

I was a straight A student, especially good in sciences.  Grade 13 physics, my teacher was also the vice principal AND running for mayor.  Tells you how interested he was in teaching.  He was almost always late to class.  I was getting 50's.  I'd never gotten a B in anything but gym, let alone a D.  I begged to drop the class as I could take it when I got to university.  My parents refused.  First parent teacher conference, teacher wasn't at his table in the gym.  My Dad hunted him down and asked him why my grade was so poor.  'Girls can't do science' was his reply.  Needless to say, my drop form was signed that night.  Took it in first year university and got 96.  Yeah, girls can't do science.

I graduated HS in 1982, there was a math teacher who also taught the computer science class (which you had to be a top math student to get into it was so new) and he told us on the first day of class that the girls wouldn't so as well as the boys because "girls can't do math".  He would refuse to answer questions for girls, so we would just send the boys to ask them for us.  He hated having to give me an "A" but I had the test scores and program results to back it up.  And my current job title is Senior Systems Analyst.  Take that Mr Boseman!

FauxFoodist

« Reply #8567 on: August 31, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
I just googled my idiot coach-teacher from high school.  I forgot that he resigned amidst controversy 27 years ago (which I didn't know before I googled him a while back).

He was a football coach and a failed actor and so he also wanted to teach a drama class, which my high school didn't have (theater program).  I don't think it lasted past the first year because, after the first semester, he pretty much ignored us in order to focus on football (so we learned nothing the second semester and spent most of class just hanging out).  By the end of the semester, some of us weren't doing very well, and he had the nerve to read grades out loud to the class (the main reason he's an idiot).  For those of us who weren't doing very well, he simply said after our names, "You're unique."  I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction so I didn't bother to ask.  However, one of the "unique" ones asked what that meant, and IdiotTeacher said, "It means that you could have a million grade points, and you'd still fail the class" (such statement being the other reason he's an idiot).  I was only 16 at the time so I didn't have the sense or knowledge that I could actually complain.

Anyway, it appears he tried to override the high school administrators to fight for a player with failing grades to be reinstated and then also had a bit of a verbal confrontation with football administrators at one other high school (making accusations about their players).  After the argument with the other school, he decided that, perhaps, he should resign as football coach before he got fired.  The school principal was quoted as saying they hadn't planned on firing him, but they weren't encouraging him to stay, either (which warmed my heart because it told me that I wasn't the only one who thought he was a jack*bacon-fed knave).  I think he only lasted as long as he did (2-2.5 years) because he coached the most famous/successful football player to come out of that high school.  However, that football player graduated at the end of IdiotTeacher's first year; IdiotTeacher ended up resigning near the middle/end of his 3rd football season (the football player was super-talented so I don't attribute his athletic success to IdiotTeacher).

Looking at other articles about him, it appears he had issues at some other schools.  No surprise there.  A teacher who thinks itís a great idea to grade-shame the students in retaliation for them not being good students isnít someone who really should be teaching.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #8568 on: August 31, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
This story has just blown up in Australia due to an investigation. The owners of 7-11 basing their business model of underpaying their workers, falsifying time sheets and rosters and employing mainly international students and holding them to ransom over these wages by giving them too many hours and threatening to fire them and report them to immigration. The owners are starting to buy back many of the stores from franchise holders as apparently they're not profitable except under these blatantly illegal conditions. It's just so awful, I'll probably never shop there again now.

It's a very common thing though and I really feel for a lot of international students who get scammed by their employers.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/7eleven-panics-launches-buyback-in-wake-of-wage-abuse-scandal-20150831-gjbut9.html?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8569 on: Today at 09:45:01 AM »
I don't know if this was actually PD, but it probably didn't make a good impression on the companies. My former co-worker, Anna, was about my age, married with a child, so you'd think she would get how things work by now. We had a major work conference coming up--I've mentioned her before, she's the one who has a lot of dietary restrictions that she was worried about, but she didn't bother doing any research about the restaurants at the conference location (and almost ordered a hamburger not realizing it was made of meat). I later found out that what she was doing instead of researching food options, was combing through the list of attendees and inviting every person peripherally involved in our field to come visit her poster during the presentation session.

Being in academia, it's expected that our jobs will be temporary and we'll be looking for work at a private company or other institution soon. So, that might have been a good move if Anna was ready to walk out the door into a new job. But she wasn't. She still had a couple years left with us, and moreover, if she was going to find a new job, it would be in the very specific area where her husband had already moved for his new job. She came back from the poster presentation session all flustered and stressed, and told me that there had been so many people there, who asked her really difficult questions about her work and future plans, and wanted her resume and articles she'd written. Of course she didn't have any resumes to hand out, and she hadn't written any articles with us (though maybe she had before she joined us). Once I found out she'd been emailing all those people (without our boss's knowledge) I was like, what did you think would happen?

Perhaps coincidentally, or not, Anna never managed to find a job before she finally had to move to be with her husband. It's been a couple years now and I'm not sure if she ever found a job or not.
~Lynn2000

TracyXJ

« Reply #8570 on: Today at 10:24:17 AM »
I don't know if this was actually PD, but it probably didn't make a good impression on the companies. My former co-worker, Anna, was about my age, married with a child, so you'd think she would get how things work by now. We had a major work conference coming up--I've mentioned her before, she's the one who has a lot of dietary restrictions that she was worried about, but she didn't bother doing any research about the restaurants at the conference location (and almost ordered a hamburger not realizing it was made of meat). I later found out that what she was doing instead of researching food options, was combing through the list of attendees and inviting every person peripherally involved in our field to come visit her poster during the presentation session.

Being in academia, it's expected that our jobs will be temporary and we'll be looking for work at a private company or other institution soon. So, that might have been a good move if Anna was ready to walk out the door into a new job. But she wasn't. She still had a couple years left with us, and moreover, if she was going to find a new job, it would be in the very specific area where her husband had already moved for his new job. She came back from the poster presentation session all flustered and stressed, and told me that there had been so many people there, who asked her really difficult questions about her work and future plans, and wanted her resume and articles she'd written. Of course she didn't have any resumes to hand out, and she hadn't written any articles with us (though maybe she had before she joined us). Once I found out she'd been emailing all those people (without our boss's knowledge) I was like, what did you think would happen?

Perhaps coincidentally, or not, Anna never managed to find a job before she finally had to move to be with her husband. It's been a couple years now and I'm not sure if she ever found a job or not.

I don't know much about working in academia, but Anna might have been thinking that this was a great way to make contacts and get her name out before she was job searching.  These days they all talk about how networking and knowing the right people can help so much with getting a job, she might have been trying for that. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8571 on: Today at 11:24:37 AM »

I don't know much about working in academia, but Anna might have been thinking that this was a great way to make contacts and get her name out before she was job searching.  These days they all talk about how networking and knowing the right people can help so much with getting a job, she might have been trying for that.

Yeah, I don't really know what was in her mind, because here it's only the expected thing to do if you're actively searching for another job--like, you could start within the next three months. A poster presentation is very informal--it's just someone standing in front of their poster, jostling for space with all the other people standing in front of their posters, telling (usually) just one person at a time about their project. It's not like she invited them all to attend her big-room keynote speech or something. And especially without resumes, business cards, etc. to hand out--best case scenario they completely forget they ever met her, worst case is they do remember her name but as someone unprofessional and unprepared. So yeah, she might have been thinking advance networking, but completely failed the follow-through.
~Lynn2000

Cleargleam

« Reply #8572 on: Today at 01:05:40 PM »
It won't be PD, because in a small company personal relationships mean more than performance, but the person who passes for our HR has such disdain for me that rather than make something one iota easier for me, she will cause three of the attorneys to be inconvenienced because her actions left me working at a station with limited functionality. 

The mind boggles. 

HelenB

« Reply #8573 on: Today at 01:06:27 PM »
Wow, my high school chemistry/physics teacher really got around!

He told our class that smart women were causing the downfall of society, because we were getting educated instead of having babies, and only the "dumb" women were having babies. High School.  I was 16.

He would also take off in the middle of tests for smoke breaks.  We were good kids, but no way we weren't going to take advantage of that.

He was eventually fired for coming to work drunk, so it was a PD story.

In my high school, nearly 40 years ago (ugh) there was one section of physics, and the teacher was a well known misogynist.  One of my friends wanted to take physics, and he did everything he could to prevent her.  She'd just be taking up a seat in class that a boy should have; everyone knew that in a few years she'd be living in a trailer park, barefoot and pregnant (and those were his exact words, spoken to my friend).  It took some intervention by adults to get her into that class, where he proceeded to make her life miserable.

After graduation she became an environmental engineer, and with her husband built a wildly successful consulting business that provided them with a very comfortable income to enjoy with their two lovely sons.

Wow.  She had my high school physics teacher?

I was a straight A student, especially good in sciences.  Grade 13 physics, my teacher was also the vice principal AND running for mayor.  Tells you how interested he was in teaching.  He was almost always late to class.  I was getting 50's.  I'd never gotten a B in anything but gym, let alone a D.  I begged to drop the class as I could take it when I got to university.  My parents refused.  First parent teacher conference, teacher wasn't at his table in the gym.  My Dad hunted him down and asked him why my grade was so poor.  'Girls can't do science' was his reply.  Needless to say, my drop form was signed that night.  Took it in first year university and got 96.  Yeah, girls can't do science.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8574 on: Today at 01:11:04 PM »
Trainee wove an elaborate tale about why she refuses to use the government vehicle provided for her and uses her personal vehicle instead. Sent one version to the boss and another (in writing) to the team, including the very focused director of business, claiming that the vehicle is unsafe to drive, which is not true. This has become a giant rolling ball of mud going downhill and no one will be able to salvage trainee's career after this.

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Super Hero!
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #8575 on: Today at 01:46:59 PM »
You gotta wonder if Trainee gets up each morning and says:
"Hair - check.
Makeup - check.
Professional self-sabotage ... hmmmm... check!"