News:

• February 22, 2018, 01:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2402729 times)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #7260 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
We're inundated in this area with the utility company scam phone calls, but they seem to have stopped after the local news programs all did stories on them. Thanks to the  extensive coverage, local TV stations!

This is the one where "Michelle" or "Susan" leaves a message that your utility bill has been reviewed and you are eligible for certain discounts. All you have to do is call this number in the 740 area code.

740 is my area code.

I'm all irritated about my electric right now. The HOA renews their aggregation every year, and I keep having to change it back so my bill doesn't go up by half. I'm fairly certain that the HOA is getting kickbacks from the alternate company.

Shouldn't you be able to tell the company that you want to do business with that they are not to switch you without your express consent? We had do that with our phone company to keep them from switching us. Our company came up with a code for us to use.

This, and I'd also file a complaint with your state's utility regulator.  No one, not even your HOA, should be able to switch your utility provider without your expressed consent.

I got a letter from the local government a few weeks ago, saying they had signed the city up for an aggregator that would save money on our utility bills, and if I don't like it/want not to switch, here's a form to send in, or a number to call. Since the town I recently moved from did this last year, with the same program, I'd already done the research and am fine with it. But at least in Massachusetts, local governments can do that; HOAs are odd entities and may be able to do things to/for anyone within the HOA, even though they're not government in the usual sense. (Even if I was a lawyer, I wouldn't be giving legal advice here;your state utility regulator can tell you whether they're supposed to be able to do that.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7261 on: January 28, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
Dear Student,

We got your contact through your school database and I'm happy to inform you that our reputable company CHARMMER-SUNBLET BEVERAGE CORP INCģ,is currently running a student empowerment programme. This programme is to help loyal and hardworking students like you secure a part time job which does not deter you from doing any other, you just need a few hours to do this weekly and with an attractive weekly salary.

KINDLY EMAIL BACK WITH YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS IF INTERESTED IN THIS JOB POSITION.
   Laura Jade,
Kindly Regards,
HR Manager/Consultant
CHARMMER-SUNBLET BEVERAGE CORP INCģ.

There is a legitimate company called "Carmer Sunbelt Beverage," but somehow, I don't think that these people are actually associated with them.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7262 on: January 29, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »
Because I am so well known as a high-level executive, I'm now receiving "pocket listings":

Brentwood

New! Gorgeous Mid-Century Masterpiece Pierre Koenig Design Meticulusly maintained architectural treasure Built in 1951 Completely private Surrounded by canyon views Floor to ceiling windows throughout, Drenched in natural sunlight.
*68% underbuilt for a developer who wants to add value.
This is a featured Property, Please see below $Price Upon Request

Beverly Hills

New! Gorgeous Front Facing Condo Highly Desirable Neighborhood of Beverly Hills
2 bed/ 2 bath
1,359 SQFT
Front facing balcony
In-unit laundry room with side-by-side washer and dryer Central air conditioning Walk-in closet in the master bedroom Plenty of storage and much more Two gated and secure garage parking spots add some extra safety and for extra privacy, there are no shared walls *HOA fees of only $500 This is a featured Property, Please see below $920,000

Bel Air

New! Lower Bel Air Private Estate Southern Style Traditional View Property Over 35,000sf majority flat parcel
5 Bed/5.5 Bath
Approx 5,000+ interior sf (appraiser drawing estimate of 4,320sf main house + 768sf detached game house, buyer to verify) Rich with celebrity history*Stately curb appeal Wide 150 ft frontage including circular driveway and extreme privacy w/ property set back and perched above the street Extraordinary city, ocean and mountain views Resort-style backyard Including sprawling verdant grounds, game house, paddle tennis/sports court, lower level secret garden & walking path, brick accent patio & pool/spa with relaxing sun deck & fire-pit overlooking The Getty Museum & breathtaking sunset views
$7,900,000 (BA-0060)

Pages and pages of these, and about 1000 links in the bottom and top.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #7263 on: January 29, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
My one boss has struck again. She has a bad "habit" I guess you could say of not properly recording her PTO, and there is no oversight on the part of her boss. So she will do things like make an appt (not an emergency but a routine check up), anytime during the day they give her vs. before or after work, taking 2 hours at lunch for a yoga class and then running errands after, and so on. I'm convinced since she rides after work, using her time is unacceptable, and since no one polices her time, she does what she does.

Anyway, both last year and the year before she had PTO she has to use or lose, plus carryover (we are allowed to carry over as much as you get in a year) so if your vacation is 3 weeks ,you can carry that much over. So i guess she must have had issues with our payroll system (which we just switched a couple of months ago) and the old one is inaccessible. so i overheard the head of our finance dept, who came by to tell her she has x hours this yer. Which really amounts to her carrying over her full vacation entitlement, as she has double what she gets each year.

there is no way in heck she legitimately had that much left over, but as I said, no oversight, and she seems to have a different idea of how things work, so she will log in, then take 3+ hours for an appt, or whatever, log back in, and consider it a full day worked. and not put any time down. Me? its half a day of PTO ifi do that.

no one to complain to either as our dept is small and only my boss and I would have any reason to care. i'm just so pissed off right now since i follow the rules, and she does not, and benefits from it. Sadly, she isn't the only one here that does that.

Sounds like one boss I had when a contractor: she would make snarky comments about me having time off sick [I think I had a total of 4 days in 18 months], and boasting about how she was never sick...

She had at least as much time away from the office with her not-illness as I did my illnesses, because instead of booking the first/last doctor's appointment as I did, she returned to her home town [not where she lived in London], and would take an 11am appointment [say], so not rock up to work until gone 2pm.  As I was paid hourly, I minimised my time lost to appointments, but she never took a half day off for all those half days she didn't attend.  If I were to add in her dentist/hygienist visits, that would be even more [again, I used to schedule first/last appt, and do both back-to-back, but she would use half a day each time to visit her home town - added up to 2 days a year, if she had no treatments done].

I guess it's nice to work above the level where snark is received. :-\

Yes! it pisses me off to no end. a lot of my dr.'s are in an office about 5minutes from work. So i while I will try to get either the first appt of the day, or last (lunchtime doesn't always work as that is the day they're running late :)), every now and again I have to leave a bit early. 10-15 minutes, for an appt. my PCP is a good hour from me but i only see hime once a year so i take the day, go around 10ish, and have the rest of the day to do other things.

cinnamonroll

« Reply #7264 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
I was walking from my junior high school to the library where my Mom was going to pick me up.  As I was walking through a shopping center, a man stopped me and asked me if I "wanted a gift to give your mom.".  I said "Sure." and he handed me an incense stick, which at the time, my Mom could still use.  I thanked him.  Then he said "Now you have to give me a dollar."  At the time, I could have gotten a full meal from McDonald's for just a quarter more than that, so he was really overcharging me!  I looked him in the eye and told him he could have his stick back as I was handing it back to him.  He just stood there a bit stunned as I continued on my way.  He really didn't expect a kid of my age to be able to say no.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7265 on: Yesterday at 08:00:36 AM »
I am now getting spam emails in other languages to my work email.  ::)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

HenrysMom

« Reply #7266 on: Yesterday at 09:52:03 AM »
I was walking from my junior high school to the library where my Mom was going to pick me up.  As I was walking through a shopping center, a man stopped me and asked me if I "wanted a gift to give your mom.".  I said "Sure." and he handed me an incense stick, which at the time, my Mom could still use.  I thanked him.  Then he said "Now you have to give me a dollar."  At the time, I could have gotten a full meal from McDonald's for just a quarter more than that, so he was really overcharging me!  I looked him in the eye and told him he could have his stick back as I was handing it back to him.  He just stood there a bit stunned as I continued on my way.  He really didn't expect a kid of my age to be able to say no.

Same thing happened to me years ago when I was walking with a friend through a shopping center - a guy came up to me with one of those laminated coupon things for something (I donít remember what), practically forced it on me, then loudly demanded $20.  My friend took it from me and handed it back to the man, then later told me it was a reusable coupon so not exactly a scam.  The scam was counting on the recipientís surprise and embarrassment.