Author Topic: s/o boots - What Can You and Have You "Cheaped Out" On?  (Read 1190 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: s/o boots - What Can You and Have You "Cheaped Out" On?
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:19:14 AM »
well i've mentioned it on the other thread but here goes:
*trendy clothing and accessories- those tops/earrings/nail polish that you just *know* are not going to become classics and you will wear for one season.
*nice looking but cheapie shoes i wear only around my office - i leave them at work and wear sneakers to/from work and change when i get to work. sometimes i luck out and the shoes last more than one season but since they're so cheap, i don't care if i throw them away. (i will not cheap out on the sneakers, since they're my "vehicle" - i don't have a car and walk a LOT).
*buy classic clothing at end of season sales - slacks, jackets, shells, boots...

When i'm traveling, it's more that I'll use the money I save on hotels and airlines for other things (shopping and museums). i've stayed at cheap hotels and even youth hostels (private rooms but shared bathrooms). if it's a choice between staying at a nicer less expensive property near newark airport or staying at medium range hotel for double the price in manhatten or the YMCA in manhattan - the Y won out. I only use the room to sleep in, i'm out at the crack o' dawn, and out all day, plus it has a pool which most NY hotels do not. same with airlines - I haven't yet flown on the real "low cost" airlines, but medium range ones (even less space in coach, no personal screens, terrible schedules) - it saves me ~300-400$ per trip.I'm not big on eating in restaurants, so again I'll have pizza or a big salad and keep going.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

DavidH

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 05:07:23 AM »
Hotels other than a destination resort.  If I'm in a city and will be out all day, I don't need anything fancy, it just has to be safe, clean and have a reasonable bed.  The rest is optional. 

I cheep out on where I buy things more than what I buy.  I'll shop the sales at a warehouse club or other stores and stock up on their schedule, but buy what I want.  Also, anything holiday related except food is bought at the after season sale and used the following year.

Dry cleaning is a major one.  I'd much rather wash and iron a shirt or pants than pay someone to do it for me.  A suit is an entirely different matter.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 08:56:26 AM »
I'm a seamstress, so I make most of my clothes.  I 'cheap out' on patterns and fabric.  My motto is, 'Never pay full price!'  Just watch the sales and stock up when I can.  I just bought 16 yards of my favorite linen blend fabric for pants, because it was half price. 

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 10:16:10 AM »
Sisters  :)!  I absolutely cheap out on reading glasses - I get them at the Dollar Store - so I can have readers upstairs, downstairs, in my handbag, in the car glove box, in the boat glove box, at the camp, etc., without spending a fortune.

I also get my sunglasses at the Dollar Store, because I tend to put them down and leave them behind, push them up on my head and they fall off and get scratched, drop and step on them, sit on them, etc.  Mr_Deb bought me a nice pair of Ray-Bans one year and I lost them within a few months.

I also cheap out on seasonal decorations.  (The people at the Dollar Store probably know me by name.)  I spent $6 and have a spiderweb wreath on my door, a flashing pumpkin in my window, a jack-o-lantern nightlight, etc.

The Dollar Store satisfies my need for retail therapy without breaking the bank!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 12:42:13 PM »
I'm a seamstress, so I make most of my clothes.  I 'cheap out' on patterns and fabric.  My motto is, 'Never pay full price!'  Just watch the sales and stock up when I can.  I just bought 16 yards of my favorite linen blend fabric for pants, because it was half price.

Ditto! In fact, you've just reminded me that I need to use up my LivingSocial coupons for my favorite fabric store.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 03:49:03 PM »
I'm cheap about so many things. I don't pay retail for hair products, but I will still wait for sales. If I think I can make something cheaper I will, because I'm very crafty. I will haggle with sales people, we didn't pay full price for any of our furniture. I'm always polite to the sales people though, which I'm sure helps me haggle so successfully. I save coupons for all of the baby stuff and shop at places where they will let me stack the coupons.

The things I do spend money on are way easier to list:
Good work shoes for myself and DH
The good macaroni and cheese
Heinz Ketchup
Cat food
Formula for the baby (but I do hunt down coupons for it)
Anything else I will look for a deal.

doodlemor

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 04:29:30 PM »
I used to buy my facial moisturizer at the mall.  Now I use CeraVe from the drugstore.  It's about $10 for a very large jar, and it's good for the hands, too.  It also seems to last longer than the stuff that I was using before. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 05:20:13 PM »
I once bought a turtleneck for something like $6 at some cheap-o chain of clothing stores here in NYC (think Strawberry, or something). The sleeves, it turns out, were cut from a completely different fabric; thinner knit, more shrinkage. So they shrank when the rest of the top didn't.

However, they were then exactly the right length--I loved that shirt! My mom wanted me to get her one. But they were all gone.

I buy shoes at Payless bcs Payless now carries wide widths. In cute styles. And so I can have 4 or 5 pairs of shoes that actually -fit-. Usually to get shoes that fit, I have to pay upward of $80, and sometimes $140.

And I'm w/ DavidH, I go for inexpensive hotels. As long as they're safe. (Though my DH has introduced me to the pleasures of slightly nicer hotels...)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 07:59:28 PM »
  Trendy clothes ,"Fun" make up, and clothes I wear around the house (if if at home at some point ill clean in them with bleach or  cook with turmeric and ruin them ) Trendy shoes/shoes that are "great but only with that one blouse" if they will only be worn sitting and rarely.

I like St Ives lotions.

I'll try store brand almost anything once, I like the store brand yogurt , canned tomatoes  , beans.

I found some levis I really liked they were cheap and I'm not sure if they still make the exact ones. I hope they never wear out but so far I've worn them dozen of times and they still look great.

I have cheap laundry soap for lightly worn cloths , junk cloths and cleaning rags.  I've found most cleaning supplies I prefer the name brands and I've tried most of the cheap ones.

I wont buy cheap every day shoes.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 08:08:56 PM »
I refuse to cheap out on several things, but two things that come to mind right now are my work shoes and bras. I'm on my feet for up to 8 hours a day at work, so I need good shoes for that. As to bras, I have...a very large size. I have to have good bras (with underwire unless they're sleeping bras), and I prefer ones that can cross straps so that everything is guaranteed to stay in the right place, even if I have to make a run for it (you'd be surprised how much I have to run in a movie theater).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Alicia

« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 08:24:32 PM »
There is cheap and there is frugal. I'm frugal I buy high quality stuff with coupons and discounts.  I never buy full priced. I do tend to buy very well made  in things that last and coupon. I'm a fan of http://dealnews.com/ and http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 08:44:07 PM »
Sunglasses.

I used to spend big bucks on them and I was constantly breaking,  losing, or scratching them up. The pair I spent $12 for at CVS, I've had almost 5 years.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 08:48:40 PM »
Work clothes.  I have a dirty job and my work clothes get stained and ruined fairly quickly, so I don't like to spend a lot on stuff since I know it's going to get wrecked.  I buy jeans and t-shirts at thrift stores.  My last pair of work jeans came from Value Village.  I paid like $10 and they were brand new, heavy-duty denim, tags still on.  I had to shorten them but that's no big deal.   They lasted for about a year, which is remarkable when you realise how quickly I wear out my work clothes...they survived just over a year of almost daily wear.
"After all this time?"
"Always."