Author Topic: The 10 Most Horrifying Team Building Exercises - Woa  (Read 18661 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: The 10 Most Horrifying Team Building Exercises - Woa
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »
In my current job, I have only had to do a team building exercise once, but it was great.  We were divided into teams and handed boxes of small jigsaw puzzles and told to assemble them.

After 2 minutes, someone came around and took away the cover with the finished picture on it ("Building blueprints have been recalled for modifications").  Then another 2 minutes, and each team was handed a pair of heavy work gloves and informed that one member had to wear them ("New federal safety regulations").  Then "budget cutbacks": someone took away some of our pieces.

The whole point was that this is a metaphor for government work (I'm in Civil Service), and the important thing is to maintain a sense of humor, be creative, and keep on working with each other.  My team got applauded because the member who wore the gloves, wore them on her head.

Another exercise was to recount one of the best experiences you had ever had while working for the department, and that was fun too.

It also helped that TPTB took us all out to lunch afterward, and told us we were a great team.  And that was probably the whole point: we appreciate you and you're a great team.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

gmatoy

« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
In my current job, I have only had to do a team building exercise once, but it was great.  We were divided into teams and handed boxes of small jigsaw puzzles and told to assemble them.

After 2 minutes, someone came around and took away the cover with the finished picture on it ("Building blueprints have been recalled for modifications").  Then another 2 minutes, and each team was handed a pair of heavy work gloves and informed that one member had to wear them ("New federal safety regulations").  Then "budget cutbacks": someone took away some of our pieces.

The whole point was that this is a metaphor for government work (I'm in Civil Service), and the important thing is to maintain a sense of humor, be creative, and keep on working with each other.  My team got applauded because the member who wore the gloves, wore them on her head.

Another exercise was to recount one of the best experiences you had ever had while working for the department, and that was fun too.

It also helped that TPTB took us all out to lunch afterward, and told us we were a great team.  And that was probably the whole point: we appreciate you and you're a great team.

^^ And that, my friends, is how it should be done!

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
There's going to be another branch-wide conference this year and apparently one of the after-hours activities is "Water Balloon Dodgeball".

Yeah like I want to see any of my coworkers in wet t-shirts.   ::)

Thankfully I'm not being forced to attend.

Not going to go well if the director or the uber-boss is participating, I think.  I may have to find something else to do at that time...  Either that or wear a white T-shirt and scare everybody.   ;D

See, this depends on your company.  We have a dunk tank every year for charity, and the people in the tank are....the executive committee.  We raise a LOT of money, and it's a lot of fun, too.  "Make me work late, huh?"  *dunk*  Come to think of it...our events are usually fun because it's more "come hang out for an hour or two and get free food" than anything else.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »
Although I rather like that one in the link in the OP:
“We had an exercise run by a consultant who determined what kind of workplace animal each of us was. The boss turned out to be a ‘lion’ (surprise!). I turned out to be a ‘monkey,’ which was great. My coworkers were told that they weren’t allowed to tell me to tidy my workspace because it would stifle my natural simian creativity.”
I think I'm going to start using that one on DH when he starts fussing that my craft room isn't organized the way he thinks it ought to be. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
We have a dunk tank every year for charity

We did something similar one year.  We had an outdoor barbeque, and for a minimum donation, you could buy pies (really just pie plates with Cool Whip) and throw them at the executives.  All the money went towards the United Way.  Good fun!

Oh, and there was another year when some of the execs had their heads shaved.  All money raised went to Cancer Care.  One of the execs was a middle-aged lady; I had to admire her gumption.

Miss Understood

« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
This doesn't quite count because it was voluntary, but at my old job, they asked for people to come in early one day close to Christmas and sing carols in the lobby.  The idea was that all the employees would be greeted by our melodic voices as they came into work that day.  How festive!

... trouble is, we quickly found out that none of us could sing.  We sounded terrible.  And then the leader decided that we'd do "O Holy Night".  Remember the very high note in that one?  "O niiiiiight, deeeee-VIIIIIIIINE"?  We butchered that note to oblivion.  It was horrible.

Did I mention that we were being piped throughout the office via the PA system, so none of the poor employees could escape our yowling?  Oh dear.

Shalimar, this one totally made me laugh.  The thought of your "yowling" through the entire PA system is too funny.    :D

Miss Understood

« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »
At first reading this thread I was thinking "thank goodness I've never been subjected to these things!"  But then I remembered, I once worked for a small company in which the president held the office holiday parties at his home.  The parties were actually enjoyable for the most part, but for some reason he always thought it would be "team-building" to have us play some children's birthday party games as part of the evening.  The one that sticks out in my memory is the night that "musical chairs" ended up with 2 remaining players (and one chair of course) - one of the players was 8 months pregnant and the other was highly competitive (and a bit overserved that evening) - when the music stopped she hip-checked the pregnant woman to the floor in order to get the chair.  Luckily no one was hurt but that was the end of the games for that evening.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »
Our assistant OIC (Officer In Charge) made us draw and decorate hand turkeys while deployed in Afghanistan for "morale" purposes.

Reason #4273 the Army clowns on the Air Force :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:15 AM »
I once went on a two-day Team Bonding type course where the activities included:
- playing a game where we had to roll around on the floor pretending we were eggs;

I'm sorry, but I just can't stop laughing at this. It's so utterly ludicrous and crazy!  ;D ::) :-\ >:D 

Did they explain what the purpose of this was, because I'm coming up blank. Was it to see who would crack first under the pressure?

Nah. It was to watch them all scramble to their feet...  ;D

I may have to poach that one.

Rob

What a good yoke!

That type of team bonding eggs-cercize is a bit eggs-treme, no?

Perhaps even a bit "egg-gregious"?

LOL! You guys are awesome!  ;D

I wrote an entry in my personal diary about the camp. I've just re-read it (it happened a few years ago). Here are more details about the egg game.

The Egg Game

Everyone started off rolling around on the floor, pretending to be eggs. When you collided with another "egg", you had to play Rock Paper Scissors. The winner became a "Used Car Salesman" which meant they got to stand up. The loser remained an egg. Used Car Salesmen could then challenge other Used Car Salesmen to a game of Rock Paper Scissors. The winner became a "Guru" which meant that they sat down with arms crossed and (thankfully) got to retire from the game. The loser remained a Used Car Salesman.

I think the game stopped when most people had become Gurus, and there was only one Egg left. I'm not sure what the point of the game was... except maybe to teach us that we'll never learn true enlightenment until we become lucky at Rock Paper Scissors...

Peppergirl

« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »
After reading these, for the first time ever I find myself grateful that my company is cheap. 

Too cheap to shell out money on a 'team building' farce means that I'll never have to go through this.  ;D