News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2016, 01:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1487776 times)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #11280 on: April 24, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
Until what age do babies/toddlers use bibs? And is it one of those things that new parents usually have enough or is it one of those things you'll never have enough off?
(came across a cute pattern for a bandana bib but I don't know much about bibs and usage :p )

Depends on the bib :P The really little ones (usually cloth, often with cute sayings/pictures) are drool bibs and babies outgrow those by a year or so. They can be laundered, which is good, but they're not really functional for when the baby starts trying to feed themselves. Some babies also drool a lot more than others - my girls never really needed them much, but my best friend went through a TON because her son drooled like a St. Bernard  ::)

There are larger ones, cloth or plastic, that cover the baby's front while you spoon-feed them. Also good for a year or maybe eighteen months - they can handle some food, but not a ton. The cloth ones can be washed but can only be used once before washing; the plastic ones can be sponged off and re-used several times (and some can go in the dishwasher).

The best and most useful ones, IMHO, are the plastic/rubber ones with a scoop at the bottom so food doesn't just slide right down into your kid's lap. I still have one or two of those around the house I use for my almost-4yo when we have something like soup or baked beans  :P

lilfox

« Reply #11281 on: April 24, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
We run low on bibs pretty often even with just one toddler, but more than that, I've gone through several batches when they get irreparably stained and gross-looking.  New cute bibs would always be welcome and useful, even if I kept them aside to bring out to restaurants rather than put them into regular rotation at first.

Carotte

« Reply #11282 on: April 24, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »
Thx for those answers everyone, since it would be for a small one the fact that it's more of a drool bib seems adapted  :)

Adelaide

« Reply #11283 on: April 24, 2016, 10:06:48 PM »
I've always wanted to ask people who work in customer service this question.

When you're a customer and you have a terrible experience, sometimes a manager or customer service rep will take down the name/description of the person who treated you poorly and then promise to "follow up with them" or "address it at the next staff meeting", etc. I'm particularly thinking of the time I posted on Yelp and the restaurant posted back, stating that they were sorry I was treated that way, and that they would like to know the particular person. The cynical part of me says that they just did that because our messages are public, and it might impress other potential customers.

Now, is that sort of thing for show, or is it genuine? After all, I have no way of knowing if any sort of "follow up" happens at all, and in theory the promise to follow up/deal with it is enough to placate an irate customer. The other instance I can think of is when a pizza delivery driver was extremely rude to me, I called and complained, but then the next day (Yes, I ordered two days in a row, I was moving/didn't feel like going out) they sent the exact same guy, so obviously the manager didn't care *that* much and may not have spoken to him at all.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11284 on: April 24, 2016, 10:27:16 PM »
Until what age do babies/toddlers use bibs? And is it one of those things that new parents usually have enough or is it one of those things you'll never have enough off?
(came across a cute pattern for a bandana bib but I don't know much about bibs and usage :p )

It depends.  I didn't use them at all with any of my kids.  I know other families where bibs were used well into toddler-hood.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #11285 on: April 25, 2016, 01:43:47 AM »
I can only speak from experience but: it depends. If it's a bad manager they'll either ignore it or chew out the employee. A good manager will first determine if your complaint has merit (a surprising number don't) and will then decide how to handle it. Maybe an employee (or all o f them) need refresher training. Maybe the training is unclear or was skipped over. The employee might need to be written up. If they are a multi-repeat offender they might be terminated.
Nothing to see here.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11286 on: April 25, 2016, 07:09:08 AM »
There is usually a discussion and/or counseling on how to better handle that type of thing in the future. It isn't done vindictively.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11287 on: April 25, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »

When you're a customer and you have a terrible experience, sometimes a manager or customer service rep will take down the name/description of the person who treated you poorly and then promise to "follow up with them" or "address it at the next staff meeting", etc. I'm particularly thinking of the time I posted on Yelp and the restaurant posted back, stating that they were sorry I was treated that way, and that they would like to know the particular person. The cynical part of me says that they just did that because our messages are public, and it might impress other potential customers.

Now, is that sort of thing for show, or is it genuine? After all, I have no way of knowing if any sort of "follow up" happens at all, and in theory the promise to follow up/deal with it is enough to placate an irate customer. The other instance I can think of is when a pizza delivery driver was extremely rude to me, I called and complained, but then the next day (Yes, I ordered two days in a row, I was moving/didn't feel like going out) they sent the exact same guy, so obviously the manager didn't care *that* much and may not have spoken to him at all.

I think it depends on the company. Many take feedback very seriously and will address with the employee. Just because the same guy showed up doesn't indicate they didn't take it seriously. It could just be that he is the only delivery person working that shift.

jpcher

« Reply #11288 on: April 25, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »

I think it depends on the company. Many take feedback very seriously and will address with the employee. Just because the same guy showed up doesn't indicate they didn't take it seriously. It could just be that he is the only delivery person working that shift.

True.

Adelaide -- how was delivery guy's attitude the next day? Was he just as rude or had his demeanor improved?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #11289 on: April 25, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »
In my experience, it depends on the manager and the situation. If the customer is being an SS, the manager will discuss it with the employee but not reprimand them. If the employee was behaving badly, they might get a stern warning. All those stories of people saying "I'm going to get you fired!" are a joke. They won't fire you on a customer's word alone.

And I agree with Hmmmmm. He may have been the only delivery person they had at the time.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #11290 on: April 26, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
I think the reference to the CO2 detector in the book was either a typo or a misunderstanding because there would be no reason to have such a thing.  After all, everyone releases carbon dioxide when they exhale. It would be an very extreme situation for the gas to pose a health hazard.     

In the USA, carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are mandated. A householder can be fined for not having them in working order.  At different times during the year, local fire and/or police departments advertise free detectors for the asking.  Also, every time we have a time change, there are announcements that people should make sure they check the batteries in these devices. I can't see why standards in the UK should be any different. 

I don't think they are mandatory everywhere.  I could be wrong though.

Since there was a new one in our house when we moved in, we got a break on our homeowner's insurance.  We also got a break because there was a smoke alarm in every room.

Vall

« Reply #11291 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:25 PM »
Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are strongly recommended where I live in the US but they aren't mandated.  Many people don't have them, including us.  Some day we'll get them though.