News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 09:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's in your pumpkin?  (Read 458 times)

Lulubelle

What's in your pumpkin?
« on: Yesterday at 12:39:51 PM »
I am participating with a trunk or treat this year, and I can't decide what kind of candy to get.  I'd really like to get something nut free and have a non-candy option.  So I'm thinking Dum Dum suckers & temporary tattoos.  I'm curious.  What are you giving out for Halloween this year? 

crazycatlady331

Re: What's in your pumpkin?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:58:38 PM »
My mom always told me to give out candy I don't like (otherwise it would all be gone).  So I give out (when I do, very rare given that Halloween is crunch time in my line of work) I do Twizzlers and something with caramel in it.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:11:36 PM »
I make goodie bags that have a variety of candy and smallish items.  That way there is something for everyone.  In the past I have put Halloween themed erasers, pencils, plastic spider rings, or rub-on tattoos.  This year I might do plastic vampire teeth.

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:07:12 PM »
My mom always told me to give out candy I don't like (otherwise it would all be gone).  So I give out (when I do, very rare given that Halloween is crunch time in my line of work) I do Twizzlers and something with caramel in it.

LOL! I do the exact opposite. It's a crap shoot every year whether I'll get fewer than a dozen trick-or-treaters or around 50 or anywhere in between. It's sort of an inverse affect, actually. The more candy I buy, the fewer ring my doorbell. The less I buy, the greater chance that my house is suddenly the go-to candy spot in my hood!

So... given the odds that I will end up with leftovers, I like to buy chocolate bars of the variety I like.

This year, with a coupon for 3 bags for $6, I bought one bag of M&Ms, one bag of Snickers, and one bag of Variety Snickers. I didn't even know there were multiple kinds of Snickers available!!! That might be my downfall this year.

Apparently there is a street just a few blocks away from me which is going to close off to car traffic on Halloween so I'm thinking that aside from my immediate neighbors who have kids (who I know!) I will probably get very few customers.

(more candy for me!)  >:D
(which I do not need.)  ::)

edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:21:56 PM by lowspark »
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:19:53 PM »
A friend, who was helping set me up on a wellness plan with diet and exercise, told me that Halloween to buy candy I wouldn't eat.

I told her that if I did that, my house would get egged.  LOL  There really aren't many types of candy that I won't eat.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:22:09 PM »
My candy bowl is a wooden salad bowl! I couldn't find one of my Halloween bowls, of which I have many.

I currently have two bags of Reese's mixtures and a Hershey's assortment, since they were buy one, get one free at Publix last week.

I will not be home for Halloween, but DH will have candy to give out if we have trick or treaters at the new house.

My office pumpkin has almond Snickers, Three Musketeers, and Sixlets.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Luci

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:56:55 PM »
Have chocolate for most with a choice of bags of Sun Chips and small packs of Lorna Dunes.

In Big City, we would have 150 in 1968 and it dwindled to about 50 in 2001. In Small town, we had 8 to 20. I will have to ask the neighbors wha t to expect in Capital City, but Iím pretty sure Iíll keep the same options. Oh! I also give packs of gum to the parents sometimes.

o_gal

« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:17:50 AM »
We have to have lots of candy on hand because our house is the house to go to. We get anywhere from 100 to 150 kids, some of whom get driven over to our neighborhood from out in the country, and they specifically want to come to our house. We have a giant playset, with zip line, in the backyard, along with a fire pit. We run lots of black lights, pumpkin lights, purple lights, etc. all over the place, and we have 3 strobe lights placed in strategic locations. Somewhere on the playset we place a witch's cauldron with a device that ionizes water into vapor, so it pours out of the caldron (although that's broken and we won't have it this year because when I started typing that, I realized that we forgot to order a new one.) We put up signs at the front door that say "Trick! Visit us in the not-so-haunted woods to get your treat". I'll have the big bowl of candy at the fire, and we burn last year's Christmas tree because the by-now incredibly dry needles and pine wood make awesome showers of sparks.

Right now, I'm stocked up with 12 bags of fun-size candy bars. We have Heath, Starburst, Reese's PB cups, Snickers, Milk Duds, Junior Mints, and Tootsie Rolls.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:33:58 AM »
...we place a witch's cauldron with a device that ionizes water into vapor, so it pours out of the caldron (although that's broken and we won't have it this year because when I started typing that, I realized that we forgot to order a new one.) ...

If you have a place nearby where you can get some dry ice, you'll get a similar effect.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

TracyXJ

« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:20:23 AM »
Have chocolate for most with a choice of bags of Sun Chips and small packs of Lorna Dunes.

In Big City, we would have 150 in 1968 and it dwindled to about 50 in 2001. In Small town, we had 8 to 20. I will have to ask the neighbors wha t to expect in Capital City, but Iím pretty sure Iíll keep the same options. Oh! I also give packs of gum to the parents sometimes.

This!  I wouldn't even go for chocolates.  There are tons of folks giving out chocolate/candy, give out the little bags of goldfish or something.  Or the temporary tattoos.  Our Costco actually had giant bags with 80 small things of play-doh in them specifically marketed for Halloween.  I thought that was a really cool option. 

o_gal

« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:20:28 AM »
...we place a witch's cauldron with a device that ionizes water into vapor, so it pours out of the caldron (although that's broken and we won't have it this year because when I started typing that, I realized that we forgot to order a new one.) ...

If you have a place nearby where you can get some dry ice, you'll get a similar effect.

Yes, but dry ice eventually gets used up. This keeps generating, as long as you've got it submerged in water. It also changes colors  :D

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:35:35 AM »
But it would give you something until you can repair/replace the module.
Ontario

Susiqzer

« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:56:47 AM »
I always give out a variety of chocolate, but I try to stick with DH's favorites so I don't eat it! I tend to leave the bowl on the front steps while we trick-or-treat with DD, so there's not a ton left when we return. (I'm fine mostly fine with that, though I know that one of my neighbors' kids tends to dump the bowl into his bag every year. He was SO upset when I was home to answer the door last year!!  >:D

The neighborhood where we TOT goes all out for Halloween! Some of the neighbors give out bags of chips, some do mini boxes of cereal, and one does cans of soda! It's so fun!

My favorite house gives jello shots to the parents...  ;)

lowspark

« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:33:32 PM »

Address please? >:D
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Susiqzer

« Reply #14 on: Today at 07:22:44 PM »

Address please? >:D

Just saying, think about the parents! ;)