News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 28, 2016, 08:45:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1687569 times)

GardenGal

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #11625 on: September 15, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
I like the idea of leaving the feta out and providing extra in case people want it for your other salad.  And add me to the list of folks who hate raw onion, and I hate having to pick it out of a mixed salad; it there is too much chopped onion I just skip the salad.  One thing you might want to think about, instead of making two salads, is to have a salad bar with all the ingredients separate so people can make their own salads, depending on what they like. I've done this before and it's very successful. Sounds like you're planning a lovely party!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11626 on: September 15, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »
It's a potluck, and there will be other sides. I am just making sure I have two options for the vegetarians.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jpcher

« Reply #11627 on: September 21, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
I know that there are recycle places for cell phones, but what about land-line wall hanging phones. Do those just get trashed?

JoW

« Reply #11628 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »
Land line phones are accepted at most electronics recycling places.  If they still work you can offer them to Habitat Restore.  They sell used house stuff and use the income to help pay for the houses Habitat for Humanity builds.  Or you can call your local phone company for more ideas. 

jpcher

« Reply #11629 on: September 22, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »
Land line phones are accepted at most electronics recycling places.  If they still work you can offer them to Habitat Restore.  They sell used house stuff and use the income to help pay for the houses Habitat for Humanity builds.  Or you can call your local phone company for more ideas.

It doesn't work any more (it rings, but I don't get a dial tone from it).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make a few more calls. I called the fire department, they take the cell phones, and they said they wouldn't take the landline.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #11630 on: September 22, 2016, 05:01:54 PM »
Not sure about recycling the phone but I saw older style landline phones for sale at markets (vintage stall also sold manual typewriters and ribbons). By older style, I mean they had a dial - still common till 80s. They were on sale for over $100. This is in Australia.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #11631 on: September 23, 2016, 08:41:19 AM »
I have a question for the group!
As some of you know, I just bought a house (yay me!), a tiny little 2 bed, 2 bath condo.  Looks like a little dollhouse, and I love it.    Anyway......the dishwasher smells like something DIED in it!    I've googled for answers and it said to clean out the drain at the bottom (well, I checked, but didn't see anything), and run a bowl filled with white vinegar through a cycle.  I did that, and the smell went away for awhile, but now it's back.
What's next?  The dishwasher is practically brand-new. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11632 on: September 23, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
My grocery store has dishwasher cleaner. I would try that first.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11633 on: September 23, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
Does your dishwasher have a filter in the floor? Did you take that out and wash it really well?

My old dishwashers didn't have a filter but the last 2 did. I didn't realize it was there and didn't know to take it out and clean it so the dishwasher got really stinky. But now I make sure to clean it at least monthly.

A repairman once told me to do the following a few times a year. I usually try to remember at least annually to do this thorough cleaning.
Mix ½ cup of baking soda, ½ cup of salt and 1 cup of bleach and just pour it in the bottom of the dishwasher and leave overnight or for at least 4 hours. Then run a normal wash cycle without adding anymore cleaner. (without any dishes of course)

oogyda

« Reply #11634 on: September 23, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
I have a question for the group!
As some of you know, I just bought a house (yay me!), a tiny little 2 bed, 2 bath condo.  Looks like a little dollhouse, and I love it.    Anyway......the dishwasher smells like something DIED in it!    I've googled for answers and it said to clean out the drain at the bottom (well, I checked, but didn't see anythinyg), and run a bowl filled with white vinegar through a cycle.  I did that, and the smell went away for awhile, but now it's back.
What's next?  The dishwasher is practically brand-new.

Check for a filter/vent in the door as well.  Ours has a covER that just pops off.  The last time we checked, it was clogged and just a little stinky.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

JoW

« Reply #11635 on: September 26, 2016, 08:56:05 PM »
Start with Dishwasher Cleaner like someone else said.  Its sold in discount and grocery stores, near the dishwasher detergent.

Look in the manual for more hints.  If you don't have the manual find the make and model number, probably on a sticker that can't be seen with the door shut.  Google that information and "manual" and you'll find one you can print or save.  You may also find a place to ask questions like that and get answers from the manufacturer. 

Carotte

« Reply #11636 on: Yesterday at 04:38:24 AM »
POD checking the manual. If youdon't have it try searching for the brand, name of the model and PDF /manual online.
I was surprised my parents' clothes washer didn't have an easy access trap to clean or something (front loader as are 95% of the machines here), 4 years after and a very frustrating few hours mopping and few days without the machine, they now know where and how to access it (clearly not an easy access and pretty hard to open too!).

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #11637 on: Today at 06:59:59 AM »
Start with Dishwasher Cleaner like someone else said.  Its sold in discount and grocery stores, near the dishwasher detergent.

Look in the manual for more hints.  If you don't have the manual find the make and model number, probably on a sticker that can't be seen with the door shut.  Google that information and "manual" and you'll find one you can print or save.  You may also find a place to ask questions like that and get answers from the manufacturer.

I have the manual.  While I was working on buying the house, my friend (who I bought the house from) was collecting a huge pile of paperwork that goes with everything in the house.  I even have the papers for the porch light! (which I broke the first week).   So I'll look in the dishwasher manual for help.
Thanks.  It's just that, for all of the years that I've lived in apartments, I've NEVER had a problem with a stinky dishwasher, new or used.  Never.   And I lived in each place about 4-5 years.   I've been in this house for 2 months.