News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 04, 2015, 03:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: donate a library?  (Read 1335 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: donate a library?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
I think Evil Genius probably needs a hug at this moment!

I wish I could just sort the books your father loved into categories and catalog or at least list and bundle them for you. I know how many 4000 books is because we only had 10,000 in our library. Not on the level of good stuff you have, but every year we would have people come in with loads of National Geographic magazines in almost perfect condition, and we had to reject them because we already had 2 copies of each, and even all the Little Golden Books were slightly too used for give-aways and not with a sturdy binding to go to the work of processing to circulate. We would have to carefully examine Dr. Seuss and Nancy Drew - much loved, but not many with good bindings.

It was very painful for all parties concerned.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:16:02 PM by Luci »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
Situations like this are very painful indeed for all concerned. 

The donors want to do the right thing and make the books available to researchers or the general public. That's laudable. 

Libraries appreciate the offer but the labor involved in processing a collection like the one described in the OP is often prohibitive in terms of employee time and employee time means money. 

Most libraries aren't lavishly funded and have to perform a sort of triage for every proposed gift.  Even when  a catalog was provided, the library in which I worked had to turn down an average of 75 per cent of gifts from very prominent New York City families. The books just weren't  all that good to be worth the money needed to process them and make them available to readers. 

daen

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:29:48 PM »
We had someone offer to donate his library to us on his death. (Okay, maybe...)
He would also provide a bookcase for the collection. (Yay, no extra shelving costs - as long as the bookcase meets our standards.)
The bookcase would be locked for the safety of the books. (Um, hold on a minute...)
Only approved people (like the nice young man who was his doctor - he was good with books) would be allowed to peruse them.  (We have now reached "No." territory.)

The donation was tactfully declined, with the explanation that we are a public library, we do not have restricted collections, and we do not have funding, staffing, or desire to being administering a restricted collection.

I wonder if the nice young man who was his doctor ended up inheriting a small library...

z_squared82

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
For anything you think might be collectable, go to http://bookscouter.com/ and enter the ISBN.  I sold a couple of hundred books a few years ago, as well as donating a few hundred more to charities.  It can be surprising which books are in demand.

Yeah, I'd go with this unless you have a strict time table to get rid of them. Or take them in by the box-full to a place like Half Price Books (I have no idea if those exist outside my area). Some might be valuable. It might be worth checking out if you have the time.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
What Avid Reader said.   We take donations now with the caveat that most books will go straight into a book sale.   In some respects wouldn't it be nice to know that books your father enjoyed are being enjoyed by others as well?

sylviatexas

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
I once took a whole car full of books to a half price book store;
they took the books to the back & asked for my name, & about 20 minutes later (to give me time to browse their store!), they announced over the intercom, "Sylvia, please come to the purchase department. Your offer is ready."
It seems like the offer was $12.

If you think some/any of the books are valuable, browse the active & sold listings on ebay, & sell those books separately.

Carotte

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »
Asking friends and old colleagues or people the father would have talked with regarding the poli science/world books/subjects might be a way to gauge if there's any valuable books or if they have an idea of who could take them on - and maybe they themselves could like a memento of sort? -

Daquiri40

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
My husband, who is still alive, has been sorting through his extensive collection of science fiction and mystery books.  He has sold 36 boxes (boxes the size of reams of paper) to a used bookstore and got about $150 for all.  The man who bought them still has them boxed up in his storage garage.

My husband spent many years collecting and completing collections.  The books are valuable to him, but to no one else.  He has donated many boxes to our Friends of the Library sale.  He still has about 60 boxes left (which I desperately want out of the garage!!!).

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
If you wanted to make a quick catalog of the non-fiction, you can get ISBN scanning apps for both apple and android devices.

"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

EveLGenius

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 08:47:17 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your replies!  I will definitely check out the sites that you sent, and I appreciate all of the advice.  And yes, as you all suspected, we're trapped in that horrible feeling of "I know it has value to *someone.*"  My personal goal is to keep as many of those books as possible out of a landfill. 

We have been checking out the Friends of the Library, but their entire sales area (which is reasonably full) is approximately half the size of one room of the house.  Six rooms of the house have two or more floor-to-ceiling bookshelves that take up one or more walls.  We may have to hire a few neighborhood teenagers to carry boxes of books to whatever vehicle can take them.  But we'll keep trying.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 04:36:32 AM »
wanted to add a hug and also add that i worked in a museum once that got a library from a collector after he died. Luckily for us, whoever set up the donation, made sure to get funding from the estate for bookshelves, but it was still a big headache as one of the curators had to catalogue everything, make cards for each (we weren't an actual library so we didn't have scanners and barcodes), set it up in some order etc. and this was a collection that was wanted and needed and included only books on archaeology/history/ancient art.

I'm thinking -and i have no idea if this is feasible, but could you find a few students of library sciences to catalogue the collection as an intership/practical work? that would at least give you some idea of what you have and then you could start parceling out the different genres.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools