News:

• April 20, 2018, 04:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Easter lunch for 25 - any ideas of dishes (main & side) that can be made ahead  (Read 1351 times)

malfoyfan13

I've been doing Easter brunch for my family for 20 some years and we always have honey baked ham; a baked egg/Italian sausage dish that is made ahead and reheated the next day; fresh fruit that can be done ahead; German potato salad (potatoes cooked the day before and the salad quickly made in the AM); 3-bean salad (made ahead); deviled eggs (made by SIL); and a quick "strudel" made with phyllo dough, cream cheese and canned cherries that I do in the AM.  I prefer as many "make ahead" dishes as possible.  Sometimes I buy hot cross buns from Panera since I like them.

We don't have dessert since the brunch is pretty filling.

Oh Joy

Thank you!  I love the ideas and am going to have this all planned out a week ahead of time.

Nice.  It's tough that you're not around the day before.  Will you be working around going to church or another event that morning, or are you 'just' home cleaning and prepping all morning?

TracyXJ

If you're doing a brunch, I have a great recipe for a breakfast lasagna that freezes and can be reheated deliciously. 

POF

I'd love this recipe please

Runningstar

Thank you!  I love the ideas and am going to have this all planned out a week ahead of time.

Nice.  It's tough that you're not around the day before.  Will you be working around going to church or another event that morning, or are you 'just' home cleaning and prepping all morning?

Just home, :)   I'd love that breakfast lasagna recipe too. 

Nikko-chan

I have a french toast casserole recipe that you can probably make the morning of.

cicero

I am having about 25 people over for Easter lunch - but will be away for a couple of days before and won't be back home until late Sat. night (Easter is Sunday am).  So, would anyone have recipes or ideas for some main dishes, sides, desserts that could be made ahead & maybe frozen?  I will be doing a lot of house work to be ready, but it is going to be a bit much!

I also have two crock pots, if that gives you any ideas.
you got some great advice here. Here are a few general logistics tips:
*LISTS!! make a list now! write down your menu, and make sure you include the extra things like making sure you have butter, salt, condiments, ice, milk, etc. Write down when you are doing what with estimates on how long it takes to complete each task.
*clean the house, declutter, clean bathrooms, change towels, make sure there's extra TP etc - before you leave.
*if possible, set the table before you go. Or at the very least, put the tables and chairs where they need to be.
*buy drinks, ice, milk, paper goods, beforehand
*I often do "dump chicken" - put  the chicken parts in a ziplock bag, a disposable baking pan, or even a crockpot lliner bag if you're using the crockpot, add marinade, mix it up and dump in the freezer. Remove to the fridge the night before, then bake/cook. It saves a LOT of time.
*brownies freeze well (the brownies on this blog are awesome). as a matter of fact, in my family we prefer the brownies straight from the freezer. most cakes and other bars freeze well too. Some that I've tried over the years include banana cake, carrot cake, Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake (which is awesome BTW), The brown-eyed Baker's blondies. add some ice cream and pick up a fresh fruit platter from your local supermarket, and you have a dessert.
*most soups also freeze well as well as chili. I've successfully frozen chicken soup, split pea, vegetable soup, brocoli, italian orzo/chicken (I usually lmake this recipe but with chicken balls instead of chicken), chili (both meatless and with ground beef/turkey)

Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TracyXJ

Sorry, didn't see the recipe requests until I yesterday and the copy of the recipe was at home where I only have a tablet which is not good for typing.  This is very rich and filling:

Bacon'n'Egg Lasagna
1 lb sliced bacon, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups milk
12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained (or use no-boil noodles)
12 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh Parsley (optional)

In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy.  Remove to paper towels.  Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of drippings.  In the drippings, saute onion until tender (try not to brown onions, this will cause the sauce to be more beige/brown than white - doesn't affect the flavor, but doesn't look as pretty).  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until blended.  Gradually stir in milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Spread 1/2 cup sauce in a greased 13inch x 9inch x 2inch baking dish.  Layer with 4 noodles, 1/3 of bacon and eggs, Swiss cheese and white sauce.  Repeat layers twice.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. 

Bake uncovered at 350degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

Original recipe is from Taste of Home.  The parenthesis above is changes/notes I've made.  When I make it ahead, I usually bake it most of the way so it isn't as liquid-y, then let it cool, wrap it up tight and freeze it.  To serve, let it thaw and then just bake again.  I usually make it for our family beach vacation so that we don't have to fight the crowds of other vacationers at the only grocery store to get breakfast supplies the day we arrive. 

I also plan to try making a gluten free version this year due to discovering my DH's gluten intolerance. 

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
That looks good!  do you need to add a little more milk if you use no-boil noodles?

Outdoor Girl

If you are making a gluten free version, don't freeze it before baking.  IME, gluten free noodles go to absolute mush when you freeze them.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

TracyXJ

That looks good!  do you need to add a little more milk if you use no-boil noodles?

I didn't last time (the 1st time I tried no-boil noodles) and it turned out OK.  Once it gets hot, the cheese gets all melty and bubbly, so I didn't really notice a difference.
 Although I probably use more cheese than they say, I'm a huge cheese lover. 

Outdoor girl - I might have to make a smaller test batch with the gluten free noodles.  The big plus of the recipe to me is being able to make and freeze it before hand to travel with it.

Outdoor Girl

Yes, you might want to make sure.  I make up meals for the freezer all the time, including pasta.  I was given a pasta gift box that included a box of GF pasta.  So I cooked it one night and had one serving for dinner, froze three more.  The stuff I ate that night was fine.  The stuff coming out of the freezer was complete mush.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario