News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2017, 02:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 740610 times)

Lindenharp

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #3435 on: June 24, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
Old penny coins were indeed bigger than 2p pieces; they look huge now!  I can just about remember farthings being legal tender... (Pre- decimalisation UK, February 1971. 4 farthings to a penny, 12 pennies to a shilling, 20 shillings to the pound sterling, and 21 shillings to a guinea)

"Our Hearts Were Young and gay" was a memoir of two young American women touring Europe in the 1920s. When they arrived at their London hotel, one asked her friend why the bellhop who brought up their luggage had looked so unhappy. "Didn't you tip him?"

The indignant reply was, "Yes! I gave him the biggest coin I had!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3436 on: June 24, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
  He goes into unneeded detail, such as the brand name of most every product used;

Spotted Pony

I have read a number of books that do this and it is always irritating.  The worst one I ever read (this was back in the 80s) started out by following a woman as she got out of bed, took a shower, got dressed, went to the kitchen, made breakfast, ate breakfast, left the house to go to her car, got in the car and drove to work.

Every step of the way was product placement. He named the manufacturers of the bed, bedding, flooring, furniture, sink, mirror, toilet, shower head, shampoo, make up (each one), soap, towels, clothing (each piece),  just everything that she touched, used or looked at.  I don't even remember what book it was - it was so irritating that I just donated it to a book sale.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #3437 on: June 25, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Old penny coins were indeed bigger than 2p pieces; they look huge now!  I can just about remember farthings being legal tender... (Pre- decimalisation UK, February 1971. 4 farthings to a penny, 12 pennies to a shilling, 20 shillings to the pound sterling, and 21 shillings to a guinea)

"Our Hearts Were Young and gay" was a memoir of two young American women touring Europe in the 1920s. When they arrived at their London hotel, one asked her friend why the bellhop who brought up their luggage had looked so unhappy. "Didn't you tip him?"

The indignant reply was, "Yes! I gave him the biggest coin I had!"

I gather that a little later on, US armed-forces members in Britain in World War II, often had a bad time with British money -- with its being on a non-decimal system and (as with the 1920s young ladies) with a bewildering variety of of sometimes inconsistently-sized coins. I've read that many Americans developed a particularly furious hatred of the British three-penny coin, worth a quarter of a shilling, and usually called colloquially a "thruppeny bit".  This dislike was maybe in part because in that era, coins of this value came in two different sizes / shapes / colours. Some Yanks so loathed the three-penny coins, that they threw away any which they happened to get in their pay packets -- to the delight of any kids close at hand.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #3438 on: June 25, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
Not to mock the Australians, although it is a lot of fun, but their two dollar coin is smaller than their one dollar coin, the exact opposite of ours.  They are all the same colour though.  They get very confused on visits when trying to pay with coins.

dawnfire

« Reply #3439 on: June 25, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »
Not to mock the Australians, although it is a lot of fun, but their two dollar coin is smaller than their one dollar coin, the exact opposite of ours.  They are all the same colour though.  They get very confused on visits when trying to pay with coins.

The Aussie money is a bit funny our $2 and 1$ coins are smaller than out 50 cent coin and our polymer notes are all pretty colours.
Whittlesea Victoria

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #3440 on: Yesterday at 09:32:58 AM »
I read a book last week by an author I don't remember having read before (Blood Memory by Greg Iles). I don't know if I've just read too many of this kind of book, or if it was formulaic, or if it was very similar to something I had read previously. There were no surprises. I knew every single "twist" and "surprise" and "revelation" WAAAAY before it was revealed. It was well-written, but there was no "AHA!" moment for me.

But if you like "Aha!" moments and thrillers/mysteries, I recommend Tess Gerritsen's Playing with Fire - I did not see the ending coming. And the violin piece she wrote to accompany the book is hauntingly beautiful.

Nuku

« Reply #3441 on: Yesterday at 06:26:11 PM »
My current peeve is people screaming about the end of civilisation in a monster-attacks book because the creature is invulnerable. I might believe them if they had tried anything other than machine-gun fire. In the last one I read, they haven't even tried weapons that would kill a twenty-foot croc, do they really think it would kill a thirty-foot dinosaur?

Grenades and RPGs might work, but there's a reason elephant guns and electric harpoons were invented. It is called creatures where your machine gun will just annoy it.

Also, salt water. That's what my extensive movie viewing has taught me.  ;)

malfoyfan13

« Reply #3442 on: Yesterday at 07:36:30 PM »
Regarding "product placement" in books - I read one a while back (can't recall name) that was like that.  I kept wondering if the author was receiving a kickback from all the products he or she kept mentioning.  It was kind of funny but I eventually got tired of it and didn't finish the book.  It's bad enough we have to put up with placement in movies and TV - just ridiculous to find it in books too.