News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 31, 2016, 06:52:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: your favorite recipe site  (Read 865 times)

mumma to KMC

Re: your favorite recipe site
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »
America's Test Kitchen (and all pages related): totally worth paying for the subscription. Simple food most of the time, but tried and true recipes.

Laura in the Kitchen: Good food recipes and she's super encouraging.

Sortedfood.com: Good recipes and the guys are funny.

Anything by Alton Brown, he's a culinary super hero.

I also agree with the King Arthur Flour and Serious Eats recommendations, I like those sites as well.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
These days I mostly just use google. I tend to look at at least the first three results but sometimes at ten or more. Some I discard because they take too much time or use an ingredient or technique I don't want to use. Some make too many or too few servings. To make the final decision I compare preparation techniques and ingredients. For example I recently was looking for a recipe for zucchini bread. For a similar-sized result the amount of sugar used varied widely. As I am not a big fan of too sweet things (don't get me, wrong, I have a sweet tooth; but if all I can taste is sugar, thank you, but no), I picked the one with the lowest amount of sugar.

the girl person

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »
Thank you, all!

Some of your suggestions I had heard of and some I hadn't.  I'm looking forward to delving into all of these, though.

Jpcher- thank you for the reminder of the recipe forum here. Most of the time I lurk around several other topics (My favorites are the ones with updates...I can't pass up a topic if it says there's an update) and forget about some of the ones I haven't really explored.

Now I'm off to check that out and then return to the (now closed) brain hurty thread.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
I love foodgawker.com.  It loads up with pictures of the final product and you can just click on the photo that looks yummy.  It also has a great search engine if you are looking for a specific recipe.

Girlie

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »
I'm going to second the person who recommended browneyedbaker.com. I make her chocolate buttercream (and a white chocolate version), and it always gets wonderful reviews.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
Bakerella has amazing things, both cute and delicious!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Coralreef

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 09:24:16 AM »
If you love asian cooking (mostly Japanese) http://www.justonecookbook.com/

I also use Kraft Canada 's website a lot. One of the best cookie recipe I have from that site. 

Otherwise, I use a general Google search, scan the recipe and comments, choose and hope for the best.

[/right

KimberlyM

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
skinnytaste.com and Jamiecooksitup.net

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
I haven't been to allrecipes.com in a while, so I figured I'd go to see how bad it had gotten. I got a 503 Service Unavailable.  ::)

My favorite site, though is http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com . It's a niche blog, being all about slow cooking, but I love the way the writer goes into things, and I love my slow cooker.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »
I haven't been to allrecipes.com in a while, so I figured I'd go to see how bad it had gotten. I got a 503 Service Unavailable.  ::)

My favorite site, though is http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com . It's a niche blog, being all about slow cooking, but I love the way the writer goes into things, and I love my slow cooker.

Oh this is wonderful!  I just bought a new slow cooker, and will be looking for new recipes here.
Thanks!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
America's Test Kitchen (and all pages related): totally worth paying for the subscription. Simple food most of the time, but tried and true recipes.

I can testify to the fact that they actually do test their recipes. Mrs.k2002 has tested a bunch of them on us. Some great, some not-so-great. She gets an e-mail from them with a new recipe every once in a while.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »

Oh this is wonderful!  I just bought a new slow cooker, and will be looking for new recipes here.
Thanks!

Always glad to help out a fellow slowbie! (I may or may not have just invented that term.  ;D)

magicdomino

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »
Another former allrecipes.com fan.  It's not only confusing, but many of the recipes aren't really that good.

I like the Washington Post Food Section's recipes.  However, you will hit the paywall if you are not a subscriber and look at more than five articles a month. 

Love King Arthur Flour's baking recipes. 

Food Network is pretty reliable if it pops up when Googling.