News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 26, 2017, 01:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 300287 times)

o_gal

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #2745 on: Yesterday at 08:27:26 AM »
I just had my last official orthodontic appointment! I had braces as a teenager but the orthodontist did no follow up care, so when my wisdom teeth came in, they shoved the rest of the teeth out of alignment again. I finally got sick of looking at my overbite and crooked bottom teeth, and did a re-do as an adult. They were on from June 3, 2003 to Oct 1, 2007. Then I've been doing retainers and yearly retainer checks. This morning, my awesome ortho said I can "discontinue" which means that I don't have to go in regularly but can call them at any time if there is a problem. I'm free!

And yes, I'm still going to wear the retainers nightly because I paid too much and went through pain to get straight teeth and I'm not going back!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2746 on: Yesterday at 09:22:02 AM »
I took the girls to the annual gem and mineral show.  They bought various pretty rocks.  I came home with a Viking knitting kit.  Time for a new hobby!  ;D

You are going to knit a Viking? (just kidding!) But as a yarn addict I'm interested what a Viking knitting kit is.

...naalbinding, maybe?

That was my thought too! Wood, or bone needles?

TracyXJ

« Reply #2747 on: Yesterday at 09:43:48 AM »
I just had my last official orthodontic appointment! I had braces as a teenager but the orthodontist did no follow up care, so when my wisdom teeth came in, they shoved the rest of the teeth out of alignment again. I finally got sick of looking at my overbite and crooked bottom teeth, and did a re-do as an adult. They were on from June 3, 2003 to Oct 1, 2007. Then I've been doing retainers and yearly retainer checks. This morning, my awesome ortho said I can "discontinue" which means that I don't have to go in regularly but can call them at any time if there is a problem. I'm free!

And yes, I'm still going to wear the retainers nightly because I paid too much and went through pain to get straight teeth and I'm not going back!

I'm jealous!  I had braces twice in high school because my teeth shifted so they put them back on.  Then they were taken off again and all seemed well, but I lost the retainers and now my teeth are moving again.  I've got one tooth shifting behind another on the top (right in front too).  I really want to do the invisalign or a permanent retainer.

mw8242

« Reply #2748 on: Yesterday at 10:37:25 AM »

That's amazing! I started Invisalign last week and so far so good but they'll be on for 18 months. I never had braces as a kid but I let my wisdom teeth stay in too long and they caused crowding and a bad finger sucking habit led to an overbite. I'm so happy to be getting them fixed, something I've wanted for a long time.

turtleIScream

« Reply #2749 on: Yesterday at 11:51:46 AM »
Our neighbors mis-measured and ordered too much mulch, so they offered us the extra.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Elisabunny

« Reply #2750 on: Yesterday at 02:33:40 PM »
I took the girls to the annual gem and mineral show.  They bought various pretty rocks.  I came home with a Viking knitting kit.  Time for a new hobby!  ;D

You are going to knit a Viking? (just kidding!) But as a yarn addict I'm interested what a Viking knitting kit is.

...naalbinding, maybe?

From the instructions: "Viking knit is an ancient form of circular wire weaving also known as Trichinopoly."  Basically I'll being weaving fine wire around a dowel to make a tube that looks kind of like I-cord.  The guy I bought the kit from said that he does the weaving/knitting, while his wife decides what to make out of it.  ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2751 on: Yesterday at 03:10:38 PM »

...naalbinding, maybe?

From the instructions: "Viking knit is an ancient form of circular wire weaving also known as Trichinopoly."  Basically I'll being weaving fine wire around a dowel to make a tube that looks kind of like I-cord.  The guy I bought the kit from said that he does the weaving/knitting, while his wife decides what to make out of it.  ;D
Oh cool! I have a friend who has recently gotten into naalbinding, which is also Viking knitting. My first thought when it was described to me is "That is so Viking... 'I will craft this garment with needles of bone!"