News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• June 30, 2015, 12:25:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 910724 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4335 on: Yesterday at 10:55:35 AM »
Maybe the site policy could be changed so you can't create new threads until you have posted 10 times on already open threads?

That will only keep them from posting new topics.  There have been plenty of spammers here that post their junk as replies in threads.   Best thing to do would be to report any spam posts to the moderators.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4336 on: Yesterday at 12:58:45 PM »
Dagnabbit!  >:(  The spammers are starting the same trick on Ehell that they used on motherinlawstories. Someone registers for a user name (in this case, Jims Greengkloimn) and posts just once with spam (look in Life In General for a post about Five Star Tools Recommand!) I wish the mods here well and good luck, since it was just inundating MILstories for a long time.

I reported this one to the Mods about half an hour after it was posted.  We've been lucky here because the Mods are good at their jobs.

First time posters often have legitimate issues to address. It seems a bit cruel to make them post ten times before starting a thread of their own. Perhaps, if a new member wants to start a new thread with her/his first post, the post should be submitted to the Mods for approval.

I've reported several such posts, including this one. Fortunately, I think the mods are so fast that they are barely read - there were only 2 other views before mine, and I hope they reported it, too. It was gone when I came back later. The prettiest was a real estate agent in some getaway place, maybe the Bahamas. I almost felt bad about that!

gingerzing

« Reply #4337 on: Yesterday at 05:04:36 PM »
Forgot to mention the call I got while subbing for my front desk receptionist over her lunchhour.

Me - Good afternoon, { business name}
Scammer - Hello, I am calling about your copier.  I am trying to send your booklet for it, but I believe that I have the incorrect serial number.  Could you read it off to me?
Me - (deciding NOT to tell her that we have 5 copies not counting what our print shop uses.) Oh?   Well, let me see.  Who exactly was your contact about the copier?
Scammer - Er...What?
Me - The person that you worked with. Who was the person that is your, or the salesperson's contact?
Scammer - Um..contact....um...HR.....?
Me -I'm sorry you.....
The scammer hung up before I could say "You have not chosen wisely."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4338 on: Yesterday at 08:08:04 PM »
Dagnabbit!  >:(  The spammers are starting the same trick on Ehell that they used on motherinlawstories. Someone registers for a user name (in this case, Jims Greengkloimn) and posts just once with spam (look in Life In General for a post about Five Star Tools Recommand!) I wish the mods here well and good luck, since it was just inundating MILstories for a long time.
Much of MILStories problems derive from allowing non-registered guests to post.  I understand why the Admin has such a policy, but it must be very frustrating for the mods to have to clean up.

I am a mod on another forum.  Their forum software allows the Admins to set a minimum number of posts, anywhere from 0 to 50, that a poster must make before they can post links.  I think it's currently set to 15.  Most spammers don't hang around that long, and when they do, they're easy to spot.  "This are interesting post" when a member is reporting on a dangerous brush fire in her area or the like will give them away every time. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~