News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 30, 2016, 06:16:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Groceries  (Read 1707 times)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: Groceries
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
The issue I have is that the dates on the quality bread are much shorter than the commercially made bread.  Makes sense due to the lack of preservatives, but when you're a single person and watching carbs a bit, it's very hard to eat an entire loaf of good bread in under 3-4 days.

Tastes so much better, but the waste factor is too much for me. :(  I wish they sold half-loaves.  There was a bread company back home who did, but I haven't found any locally.

I hear you! There's one bakery near me that makes the best italian bread i've ever had. Not ideal, but I'll cut it up and freeze it and that way I always have some.

THe other thing I've found sometimes are demi-baguettes; about the size of a large sub roll, which works well for me, as another singleton.

I have to admit, the longevity of the bread is one of the few good points to being Gluten Free - GF bread lasts months if kept in a decent container. Also GF loaves tend to be smaller in size, so there tends to be very little wastage there.

Admittedly, it tastes like pressed sawdust a lot of the time, so those of you who can still eat real bread, I don't recommend switching just because it lasts longer!

I've had the opposite issue with my GF bread options locally - I had a loaf not just go stale, but go bad.