News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 12:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat  (Read 658157 times)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
Re: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat
« Reply #1245 on: October 26, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »
Did you have someone helping you pin down the cat as you scrubbed? Because if not.... I would like to know your secret please.

The local vet tells me that they use something they call the 'waffle' to restrain unruly cats. It's like a cattle crush, but flat. You place yowling cat inside and slowly and carefully lower the roof until the cat lays flat. Safely restrained for what they need to do, and easily released when done.

I don't know that you could use it to bathe a cat
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1246 on: October 26, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »
The bath has been given.  All human limbs are accounted for.  Human skin is still intact.

Feline dignity was still ruffled.

Did you have someone helping you pin down the cat as you scrubbed? Because if not.... I would like to know your secret please.

No but it was a bit of a fight.  Gretchen is ~17 pounds so she's a bit difficult to hold.  However, she's pretty good about grooming and while she was NOT happy about getting wet, she forgave me almost as soon as we were done.

I will say that big cat in a little sink is not a good idea. She held on to the edges of the sink with all of her might as I was washing her

shadowfox79

« Reply #1247 on: October 27, 2013, 05:09:45 AM »

On the very few occasions we had to bath a cat, DH held him under the arms and I rinsed him down with the shower head before wrapping him in a towel.

It didn't go down well, but it did work with a minimum of fuss.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #1248 on: October 27, 2013, 05:14:46 AM »
I would rather like to know how one might go about bathing a kitten who's slippery as an eel and is in full possession of all her very sharp claws. Because I am potentially going to have to bathe at least two cats, and I am not looking forward to trying to bathe Sophie.

At least Lily should be easy enough - she's front-declawed, weighs six pounds at most, and I'm much more adept at evading bites than I am flailing claws.

(I don't dare bathe the longhairs; I'll pay for them to be professionally done if need be!)
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #1249 on: October 27, 2013, 06:11:10 AM »
A friend tells that she uses a large mesh bag. It allows for freedom of shampooing but in a controlled manner. All sharp points are inside the bag while the head is outside and able to complain freely without impeding the process.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Snooks

« Reply #1250 on: October 27, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »
Has anyone tried the bulldog clip on the scruff of the neck method?  The only time we had to bath a cat I held him by his scruff, he was grumpy but manageable.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #1251 on: October 27, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
I've noticed that many cats are more afraid of the LOUD NOISES from the water running than the water itself.  If I can I pour water on the cat from a bucket instead of trying to use the shower head.

However, the two short-haired black kittens don't appear to have much fear of water - I had to rapidly rinse one off after I got hair dye on him yesterday.  I just shoved him under the faucet he was already drinking from.   >:D  He looked a little surprised, but he just sat on the counter and licked himself dry.  I suppose that as many times as he dunked his own head when he was trying to figure out how to drink from the faucet, he's used to it!

I just pray that he never figures out how to turn the faucet levers.

Snooks

« Reply #1252 on: October 27, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
Dear Lord B

I know you think you need to inspect everything in the kitchen but really getting in the oven which was full of cleaner really wasn't necessary.  I wouldn't even have known if I hadn't spotted the greasy paw prints. Ok I shouldn't have left the door off the oven but you're lucky the oven cleaner is non toxic. You didn't even have to good grace to clean it for me.

Love Snooks

greencat

« Reply #1253 on: October 27, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
Dear Kittens:

Stop making crash noises in the bathroom.  Stop playing in the bathtub at 4AM.  Actually, I'd appreciate it if you'd generally only use the bathroom for sleeping (but please not in the sink anymore!).  I wish I could close it up all the time and just keep you out of it!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1254 on: October 27, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
How To Wash A Cat

This was simply too much of a time saver not to share it with you:

1. Put both lids of the toilet up. And add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close the lid. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'power-wash' and rinse.'

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door

7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift the lid.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely, The Dog

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #1255 on: October 29, 2013, 08:38:49 AM »
We used to bathe Mary Alice, our gigantic long hair, by putting DP into the shower, getting the water warm, and then setting Mary Alice in the shower, under the water. She was so shocked, every time, that she just stayed put and howled. Got her clean every time, and DP (naked!) never got a scratch. Still baffled that it worked, but it did - shock and awe reaction, I think.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #1256 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
Dear Lily,

Thank you for behaving and not biting me, and I'm sorry that bath was actually for nothing, as there was not a single flea on you. Now can you please stop getting my feather blanket wet? I kind of need to sleep under that.

Dear Sophie,

@$*@*$*@()(%&*(#$(@**@&$*&*(&$%&*#(.

Grumpily,
The Not-Furry One.

(Note to self: do not bathe the kitten. It is entirely impossible.)
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Figgie

« Reply #1257 on: October 29, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Dear Mike,

It is bad enough that you steal anything that isn't nailed down and that you know how to open up childproof latches that the kids weren't able to figure out until I showed them at age 8.  But the continual flushing of the toilet must.stop.NOW!

And I am not at all happy that not only have you learned how to flush the toilet, you also know how to open up the lid so that you can stand there and watch the water go down and refill. 

Love,
                       Mike's Mom

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1258 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
Dear Mike,

It is bad enough that you steal anything that isn't nailed down and that you know how to open up childproof latches that the kids weren't able to figure out until I showed them at age 8.  But the continual flushing of the toilet must.stop.NOW!

And I am not at all happy that not only have you learned how to flush the toilet, you also know how to open up the lid so that you can stand there and watch the water go down and refill. 

Love,
                       Mike's Mom

Smartest cat ever.

greencat

« Reply #1259 on: October 29, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
Dear Mike,

Love,
                       Mike's Mom

You are missing a golden opportunity here!  Teach him to sit on the toilet instead of the litter box, and since he already knows how to flush, you'll never have to change the litter box again!