Author Topic: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat  (Read 170900 times)

greencat

Re: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat
« Reply #1245 on: October 25, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
Dear Batkitten(s?)

I'm not sure if it's just one of you doing it or both of you, but how did you figure out how to drink from the faucet?  I've never, ever owned a cat that did that.  It would be a lot cuter if you didn't land on the bathroom counter like an anvil when I'm getting ready for work in the morning - I am using those things on there, which you send flying.

Love,

Your puzzled human.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1246 on: October 26, 2013, 03:46:58 AM »
Dear Gretchen

WHERE DID YOU GET FLEEEEEEAAAAS!?!?

Guess who's getting a bath tomorrow...

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1247 on: October 26, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
Dear Sister Whistle,
You are our oldest feral cat and we love you.  Lately, even when there is still food outside in your dish, you come to the door meowing or scratching.  When I look out the window you look up at me and make little soft sounds, like you want my company or something.  Or maybe just extra attention.  So this morning, in response, I gave you some special treats in your dish.  You picked them out of the other food and ate every one.  I love you, whistle.  You make my heart feel warm. 
Love,
Mommie
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Amara

« Reply #1248 on: October 26, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
Dear Mommie,

I may be an official feral, but I am getting older (as you noted). Therefore, I reserve the right to change my status from feral to spoiled housecat at my discretion. And to accept your lap (in due course, of course). The food is good, but I am thinking that coming inside might just be better. What do you think?

Love,
Sister Whistle

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #1249 on: October 26, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
Dear Gretchen

WHERE DID YOU GET FLEEEEEEAAAAS!?!?

Guess who's getting a bath tomorrow...

Dear Gretchen,

Tell your Humans that if you must have the despicable b-a-t-h (shudder), then they should use Palmolive Baby shampoo or, strangely enough, Dawn blue washing liquid. Fleas can't handle either of them. Our Humans give us a nice warm bath with the baby shampoo, then a good scrubbing rinse in eucalyptus oil (10ml to 1lt water).

We come out nice and clean, smelling all fresh, and very flea free. It also gives us nice shiny coats and makes us happy hounds as we scritch less when we don't have any hitch-hikers.

The Demon Twins
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

greencat

« Reply #1250 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
Dear Demon Twins and Gretchen,

Our human hasn't tested it yet, but we accidentally spilled an entire pound of bread yeast all over the floor and rolled in it tracked it all over the house before our human came home from work, and the flea infestation she was struggling with just...vanished.

Love,

The Batkittens, Princess, Tribble, Moose, and The Mama Cat, and Rocky the Dog.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1251 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »
The bath has been given.  All human limbs are accounted for.  Human skin is still intact.

Feline dignity was still ruffled. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1252 on: October 26, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »
The bath has been given.  All human limbs are accounted for.  Human skin is still intact.

Did you have someone helping you pin down the cat as you scrubbed? Because if not.... I would like to know your secret please.

Fliss

« Reply #1253 on: October 27, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »
Did you have someone helping you pin down the cat as you scrubbed? Because if not.... I would like to know your secret please.

The local vet tells me that they use something they call the 'waffle' to restrain unruly cats. It's like a cattle crush, but flat. You place yowling cat inside and slowly and carefully lower the roof until the cat lays flat. Safely restrained for what they need to do, and easily released when done.

I don't know that you could use it to bathe a cat
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1254 on: October 27, 2013, 12:21:57 AM »

No but it was a bit of a fight.  Gretchen is ~17 pounds so she's a bit difficult to hold.  However, she's pretty good about grooming and while she was NOT happy about getting wet, she forgave me almost as soon as we were done.

I will say that big cat in a little sink is not a good idea. She held on to the edges of the sink with all of her might as I was washing her

shadowfox79

« Reply #1255 on: October 27, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »

On the very few occasions we had to bath a cat, DH held him under the arms and I rinsed him down with the shower head before wrapping him in a towel.

It didn't go down well, but it did work with a minimum of fuss.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #1256 on: October 27, 2013, 06:14:46 AM »
I would rather like to know how one might go about bathing a kitten who's slippery as an eel and is in full possession of all her very sharp claws. Because I am potentially going to have to bathe at least two cats, and I am not looking forward to trying to bathe Sophie.

At least Lily should be easy enough - she's front-declawed, weighs six pounds at most, and I'm much more adept at evading bites than I am flailing claws.

(I don't dare bathe the longhairs; I'll pay for them to be professionally done if need be!)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Fliss

« Reply #1257 on: October 27, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
A friend tells that she uses a large mesh bag. It allows for freedom of shampooing but in a controlled manner. All sharp points are inside the bag while the head is outside and able to complain freely without impeding the process.

Snooks

« Reply #1258 on: October 27, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
Has anyone tried the bulldog clip on the scruff of the neck method?  The only time we had to bath a cat I held him by his scruff, he was grumpy but manageable.

greencat

« Reply #1259 on: October 27, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
I've noticed that many cats are more afraid of the LOUD NOISES from the water running than the water itself.  If I can I pour water on the cat from a bucket instead of trying to use the shower head.

However, the two short-haired black kittens don't appear to have much fear of water - I had to rapidly rinse one off after I got hair dye on him yesterday.  I just shoved him under the faucet he was already drinking from.   >:D  He looked a little surprised, but he just sat on the counter and licked himself dry.  I suppose that as many times as he dunked his own head when he was trying to figure out how to drink from the faucet, he's used to it!

I just pray that he never figures out how to turn the faucet levers.