Author Topic: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat  (Read 198388 times)

magicdomino

Re: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat
« Reply #915 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
Dear Koa,

The allergy vaccine drops aren't that bad.  I know, I tasted a drop just to make sure it wasn't bitter or sour.  Therefore, it makes absolutely no sense to struggle and scratch me.  I'm sure you get bruised when I have to grab you too hard, and it is scary when I chase you around the house.  It is even scarier when I get scratched and yell at you.  The spout may hurt your mouth because I have to shove it in any way I can.  If you would please just stay still and let me drop in two drops -- just two! -- the whole business would be over quickly, we would both be happier, and maybe you wouldn't itch so much.

Love,

The evil person who keeps sticking stuff in your mouth.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #916 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »
Dear Boojum,

That's not your steak.

Love,
The Griller
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Lynnv

« Reply #917 on: February 25, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Is Harry a Maine Coon or Maine Coon Mix?  Every one I've ever known has just adored playing in the snow.  My old cat Booger (RIP) would jump off a second floor balcony to get into the snow.  He was a very happy kitty for the few years we lived in North Dakota.

Maine Coon at some level.  He is a shelter boy-so best guess is at least 1/2, if not more.  He has the size, the meow, the M on his forehead, the ears and the laid-back (aka just plain bone idle) demeanor.  And loves the snow.  I wasn't aware of that one.  It kind of went like this:

Human plan:  "Harry is complaining at the door again.  It is cold out.  We will let him on the porch.  Ha Ha, we will let him out in the snow and he will hate it and he will quit meowing at the door for a couple of days."

Feline response:  "Woo hoo!"

Artie, on the other hand, just looked at us like we were nuts and ran as far away from the door as he could when he felt the blast of cold air coming in.   ;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

snowfire

« Reply #918 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
My late kitty Big Red was also a shelter boy with a healthy dose of Maine Coon.  When he would be outdoors and rain would start he wouldn't even notice except for flicking his ears.  His coat was so thick that the undercoat really never got wet.  He also liked to play in the snow.  I've got a picture somewhere of him just happily strolling along in chest deep snow with his big floofy tail happily waving in the air.

mmswm

« Reply #919 on: February 25, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
Maine Coons are built/adapted for the Maine environment.  They have a thick undercoat that keeps them warm and a floofy overcoat that repels water.  They have more fur on their bellies to insulate against the snow and less fur on their backs so as not to get snagged in the thick underbrush of a Maine forest. They're big and hearty in order to survive in a cold climate and fight against predators common to the area.

They're also the best cats ever, but I might be a little biased.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #920 on: February 25, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
When he would be outdoors and rain would start he wouldn't even notice except for flicking his ears.  His coat was so thick that the undercoat really never got wet. 
I know this is OT, but my mare, Misty, has always lived in a pasture with trees for shelter.  I took her out Friday afternoon and it started pouring.  The rain bothered her - a LOT! She really didn't like it in her face, but she carefully trotted (on the now slippery ground) back to her pasture.  I let her go and she ran through the downpour to join the herd snuggled together under a big tree.

I thought a horse that lived outside in all types of weather would not be so sensitive to rain.  She has a nice winter coat.  She's a Hawaiian born and raised horse, so her winter coat is not as heavy as a Mainland horse, but I noticed her belly is always dry because the guard hairs on her back deflect the water.  There are no guard hairs on her face which is probably why she pinned her ears back and squinted, trying to angle her face away from the force of the heavy rain.  It just looked like she was giving the rain "stink eye." ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

mmswm

« Reply #921 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
Just so you know that Harry's not the only one:

And to make you feel a bit better about Artie:

That particular photo earned Booger the nickname "Bathmat, with ears", or just Sir Bathmat.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #922 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
I just bought a bathmat almost exactly the same color, but solid, not nicely tiger striped, and missing the ears, of course.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #923 on: February 25, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
When Jack was a catolescent, he really really really really wanted to go out. Out out out!  We wanted him to be an indoor cat. So when we got a snowstorm (a foot of snow), we let him out, figuring he would decide that outdoors was cold and nasty, and he'd quit asking.

He loved it.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #924 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
Dear Izzy:

You are now a well fed housecat living the life of Riley.  You no longer have to scrounge in dumpsters to eat  :'(.  So knock off the counter surfing, stealing the teenage humanoid's chicken, and tearing up bags of bread.

Also, the vet is impressed by your tripod jumping abilities.

Dear Gracie:

It's not fair on your brother to play "tag" by standing just out of reach, so he's pathetically waving his stump.  So stop that, even if I hate myself for laughing like a loon.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #925 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
Dear Stephen,

I know you are a rescue cat, and as such sometimes have bad dreams. I know that you need to be woken from these occassional nightmares or you are twitchy and depressed for hours. After last night I also know that I need better reflexes.

Lashing out against the dream monster is not your normal response, but I admire your quick reflexes. Had it been a dream monster, you would certainly have killed it. Unfortunately you then realised it was mummy's hand and proceeded to cling on firmly, headbump it repeatedly and rub your nose over it.  I am sorry I was not more enamoured of thse affections, but it was getting blood over your nose - my blood to be precise.

Don't get a taste for it.

On the other hand you have been very apologetic all day, and you're too cute to be angry with.

Yours,
The staff (who will be waking you at distance with a feather duster next time)

AnnaT

« Reply #926 on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
Dear Stephen,

I know you are a rescue cat, and as such sometimes have bad dreams. I know that you need to be woken from these occassional nightmares or you are twitchy and depressed for hours. After last night I also know that I need better reflexes.

Lashing out against the dream monster is not your normal response, but I admire your quick reflexes. Had it been a dream monster, you would certainly have killed it. Unfortunately you then realised it was mummy's hand and proceeded to cling on firmly, headbump it repeatedly and rub your nose over it.  I am sorry I was not more enamoured of thse affections, but it was getting blood over your nose - my blood to be precise.

Don't get a taste for it.

On the other hand you have been very apologetic all day, and you're too cute to be angry with.

Yours,
The staff (who will be waking you at distance with a feather duster next time)

;D lovely writing - I can picture the whole event in my head!   ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #927 on: March 14, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
Dear Harley,

I don't know how it happened, or why I didn't wake up during the episode, but I very much would appreciate you not horking hairballs and puke onto the quilt. I put my hand in it this morning, and it messed up my whole day.

Love,

The giver of chin and forehead scratches.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #928 on: March 14, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
Dear Harley,

I don't know how it happened, or why I didn't wake up during the episode, but I very much would appreciate you not horking hairballs and puke onto the quilt. I put my hand in it this morning, and it messed up my whole day.

Love,

The giver of chin and forehead scratches.
Not to mention the poor quilt!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #929 on: March 14, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
We are hoping the washer and treatments get it all out.