Author Topic: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat  (Read 191546 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: S/O Dear Dog...Dear Cat
« Reply #1635 on: June 07, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
Dear Ciaran

A good cat story for a change. I just wanted to thank you for curling up to me the other night and laying with me. The only downside is now I can't sleep without a house panther to snuggle with.

Sincerely

Your loving mommy

greencat

« Reply #1636 on: June 07, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »
I just learnt an interesting cat fact - the dark markings on siamese cats develop in the areas of the cat that are coldest.

That's pretty awesome!

More awesome: the gene mutation that causes the partial albinism seen in Siamese cats is dominant, although some of the other coat pattern genes can cause some interesting effects in cats that aren't purebred Siamese...

Speaking of Siamese:
Bravery and Wall-E,
Please let Tribble eat in peace.

Lynx,
Please let me eat in peace.  Stop stealing my grapes!

Love,
The Zookeeper.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #1637 on: June 07, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
Siamese markings also tend to get darker as the cat ages, if I remember correctly. Rika's definitely a bit darker than she used to be (though that could be partly due to the fact that she was completely shaved down once...)

And speaking of meezers, a silly Rika face:

~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1638 on: June 07, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »
I just learnt an interesting cat fact - the dark markings on siamese cats develop in the areas of the cat that are coldest.

That's pretty awesome!
And that's why they're born white.  They've been baking for 9 weeks, at an even all-over temperature.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

greencat

« Reply #1639 on: June 07, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »
Siamese markings also tend to get darker as the cat ages, if I remember correctly. Rika's definitely a bit darker than she used to be (though that could be partly due to the fact that she was completely shaved down once...)

And speaking of meezers, a silly Rika face:

Definitely - the big tom with the white-tiger markings in my photos above looked exactly like the marshmallow fluff babies when he was their age.  Funny enough, he lost some fur in one spot on his back, and the hairs there grew back in much darker than the surrounding fur!

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1640 on: June 07, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
Dear Roxie,

You are a (mostly) black kitty.  Your hair never grew back after you were spayed.  You are little.  Therefore please do not worry us and stay hidden outside in over 100 degree heat.  You are just not smart enough.  Tomorrow is going to be 107.  If you think you are going outside you are crazy.  You will probably drive us crazy with your crying to go outside but we cannot trust you to be smart enough to come back inside within a few minutes.

Love,
The mean one who will keep you inside tomorrow

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1641 on: June 08, 2014, 01:54:27 AM »
Fat Siameses are darker overall because the fat insulates the skin from their core temp, so their skin is colder.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #1642 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:07 AM »
Dear Stephen,

I know you didn't like the trip to the vet, but lump removal was necessary, as were the removal of the two teeth you cracked (probably on your sister's head - thank heavens she's thick-skulled).

You came home with six stitches on your side, and in a cone of shame that we were supposed to keep on you for 12-14 days. Not 2-4 hours. Even woozy it seems that you can happily untie knots, but when we went to sleep last night you were still, reluctantly, in your repeatedly re-tied collar.

I opened my eyes this morning to a proud cat displaying his very bare neck to me and purring. In the last hour, I have discovered your two methods of removal. Your first method (front paw on collar to hold it down, back paw pushes tab through slot and undoes it) was ingenious, but your second method of removal is not one we can stop without removing your head.
1) Stick head through bannisters.
2) Twist to compress and wedge collar
3) Pull head back and leave collar there.

Please remember cats are officially not tool users. I have given up on my futile attempts to keep this on you, and can only thank goodness that you appear to be too smart to chew your stitches.

Yes I am watching you like a hawk. And no, you are still not going outside.

Regards,
Mummy (still watching you)

P.S.  I can't tie it any tighter without strangling you!

greencat

« Reply #1643 on: June 10, 2014, 04:34:02 AM »
Dear Stephen,

I know you didn't like the trip to the vet, but lump removal was necessary, as were the removal of the two teeth you cracked (probably on your sister's head - thank heavens she's thick-skulled).

You came home with six stitches on your side, and in a cone of shame that we were supposed to keep on you for 12-14 days. Not 2-4 hours. Even woozy it seems that you can happily untie knots, but when we went to sleep last night you were still, reluctantly, in your repeatedly re-tied collar.

I opened my eyes this morning to a proud cat displaying his very bare neck to me and purring. In the last hour, I have discovered your two methods of removal. Your first method (front paw on collar to hold it down, back paw pushes tab through slot and undoes it) was ingenious, but your second method of removal is not one we can stop without removing your head.
1) Stick head through bannisters.
2) Twist to compress and wedge collar
3) Pull head back and leave collar there.

Please remember cats are officially not tool users. I have given up on my futile attempts to keep this on you, and can only thank goodness that you appear to be too smart to chew your stitches.

Yes I am watching you like a hawk. And no, you are still not going outside.

Regards,
Mummy (still watching you)

P.S.  I can't tie it any tighter without strangling you!

Dear Stephen's Mummy,
If it makes you feel better, my Xena (formerly MomCat) took her e-collar off after her spay surgery in 5 minutes in the carrier - we weren't even out of the parking lot of the vet's office yet!  I gave up on trying to keep it on her - she has a tiny neck and a pointy head.  However, if the bannister is the primary method of collar removal, you could run lines of packing tape along it at cat level to keep the cat from sticking his head through it...and you will probably get the added excitement of watching cats run around the house with tape stuck to them!
Love,
Greencat, Involuntary Kitten Babysitter Extraordinaire

peach2play

« Reply #1644 on: June 10, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
Dear furballs,

Yes, the Door to Narnia is closed.  Yes I know you want to go outside in your dog run to enjoy the night time air etc.  However, it's 30 F outside and there are wolves, coyotes, foxes and mountain lions in our neighborhood.  I know you're behind a chain link fence but still, you're not going outside.  Please stop howling about it.  Mommy will open the door tomorrow morning.  Until then, please enjoy the 7 cat trees, 5 couches and 3 beds.

Love,

Bringer of food.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1645 on: June 10, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
Dear Sass:

I'm sorry I shrieked and dumped you off my lap when you stepped on my bruise from Sunday's ball game.  I will try to sit in a position where you can't get to it from now on.

But really, it's payback for your singing the song of your people outside my bedroom door all night on Sunday.  You've never been allowed in the bedroom.  What makes you think I'm going to start now?

The sleep deprived one
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1646 on: June 10, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
Dear Leo,

I know you and your sister were abandoned when you were very little and had to fend for yourselves before adopting us.  But we feed you.  Every day.  So please stop killing birds.  You are making your human daddy very sad as he loves birds and has to clean up whatever mess you leave behind.  If you don't stop, you are getting a bell.

Love,
The one who feeds you and has to listen to your other human be very upset

magicdomino

« Reply #1647 on: June 10, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
Dear Leo,

Let your human put the bell on you.  Stalking without ringing the bell adds an enjoyable challenge to the hunt.  If you are good enough to make your human think you need one, you are good enough to work around it.

You are good enough, aren't you?

Respectfully,

The ghosts of Klyde and Jessica, both hunters most excellent.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1648 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »
FYI - hunger has very little to do with whether or not a cat is a good hunter/has predatory instincts.  Leo is just a good hunter.  My Mom always said that the best mousers were well fed.

So a bell on Leo may help, as will having multiple feeders so if Leo is staking out one feeder, the birds can go to another.  It helped somewhat with the hunter we had growing up.  He'd still catch birds but at least they had a fighting chance.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1649 on: June 10, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
Decapitated sparrow on driveway.

Thanks, Paddy.

Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.