Author Topic: Splitting The Bill - Pleasant Surprise  (Read 1573 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Splitting The Bill - Pleasant Surprise
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:52:08 PM »
DH & I went out to dinner last Saturday with a couple we have known for years, but have never dined with before.  DH got 2 free tickets to a concert which I didn't want to see.  He asked the husband if he was interested.  Husband said "Yes, & wife would like to go, too."  DH called & purchased another ticket for an adjacent seat.  Husband suggested to DH that we all have dinner together at a restaurant across the street from the theater.  I can drop DH off & they will drive him home.  No mention of money.

We get there a little late & they have already ordered an appetizer sampler plate & were enjoying their cocktails.  When the appetizer comes, they offer to share with us.  They tell us the entree they are going to order & suggest we all share.  I order a shrimp dinner salad & DH orders a different entree.  I order a cocktail.  DH doesn't drink alcohol, so he just drinks ice water.  When we place the dinner orders, Husband orders another glass of wine.  Everyone enjoys a taste of everything.  Together we share appetizers, salad, and two dinner entrees with starch & veggies.  Still no mention of how we are going to split the bill.

Waiter drops off the bill.  Husband picks it up & suggests we split it 60-40 with them paying 60% since, and I quote, "I had 2 drinks & DH doesn't drink at all."  After some discussion where both couples try to pay the main portion of the bill, decide who will use the credit card & who has cash, etc., Husband suggests that they pay for dinner since DH is providing the tickets.  DH protests that he's only paying for ONE ticket & we compromise by letting DH pay the tip while they pay for the dinner.

They mentioned over dinner that their business (which they own & operate together) isn't consistent.  Sometimes they do very well and can afford luxuries like buying a table at the concert for them & their friends/family and other times they work for the promoter in exchange for seeing the concert for free.  I can see that we will enjoy their company for many years to come.  When one of us is flush & the other is strapped, one can treat, knowing that the other will treat some other time.  When we're both strapped, we'll eat potluck at someone's house & listen to CDs.  Yep, these will be friends through thick & thin. ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

DivaMommyx3

Re: Splitting The Bill - Pleasant Surprise
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »
You have NO IDEA how rare that is. I have many friends, and only 1 that I can count on for that type of relationship. I have had her for 11 years and would not trade her for the world.
Diva