Author Topic: Pork Marinade  (Read 1741 times)

kiero

Pork Marinade
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi.  I bought 3 lovely pork roasts at Costco.  I froze them individually with the thought that I could defrost them and marinade them and then roast them and get 3 or so days worth of food for me and DH.

Of course now I am stumped as to what do marinade them in...  With chicken I do some olive oil and lemon juice and random herbs...  But that doens't see to be quite enough for pork.

I'm not a fan of subtle flavours - I like them to hit me in the face... 

I am open to all ideas - especailly exotic and flavourful ones.  Strange ingrediants are also encouraged. 

Thanks all.

Visiting Crazy Town

Re: Pork Marinade
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »
pork marinade

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup dry mustard
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup chile sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
DIRECTIONS
Mix together dry mustard, brown sugar, chili sauce, pineapple juice and sugar and chill.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »
This one is a spicy Thai style marinade good for about 1 pound of boneless pork so you can adjust accordingly:

Ingredients:
1 tsp. - 1 Tablespoon yellow Thai curry paste (depending on how much spice you like)
1 Tablespoon Turmeric
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 Tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1 can unsweetened coconut milk

Directions:
Pour one can unsweetened coconut milk into a glass and allow to sit for about an hour or until thick cream rises to the top. Skim off the cream and set aside. Discard the rest of the milk.

Combine curry paste, turmeric, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and oil. Rub all over the pork and allow to marinate for at least an hour (overnight is better if you have the time).

Just prior to roasting, brush with the cream and bake.

This is really good with a peanut dipping sauce too!

kiero

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »
That soudns really good.  I might try that tomorrow. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »

One I made recently which was really good.

Saute some sliced onions in butter or olive oil.  Sear the pot roast, add a couple of chopped peeled apples (~1 inch chunks), about 1 T cider vinegar, a bay leaf, a very little bit of cinnamon and an even smaller bit of cloves and a little bit of water. Cook slowly until the roast is almost done, either on the stove or in the oven,  remove the roast and finish in the oven with  a glaze composed of brown sugar, dry mustard, a bit of garlic powder, some cider vinegar to moisten it, salt and pepper. Slice and serve with the apple and onion sauce on the side, and garlic-mustard mashed potatoes and a salad with an herb vinagrette.

I did it with a pork loin roast, which is fairly thin, for a larger roast you might want to cut it in two, so it cooks in an appropriate amount of time for the apples and onions.

minnaloushe

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »
EVOO (not much)
Lemon juice AND chopped lemon peel
(yellow part only, the pith is too bitter and will spoil the taste), use maybe two lemons, maybe three
tons of fresh rosemary (you said you wanted to get hit in the face, right?)
as much garlic as you like, minced.

Get the mixture into a thick paste and rub all over.  Wrap in plactic and marinade for a couple of hours or overnight and roast as usual.  No matter how good it smells, try not to eat it before it's done.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 06:11:53 PM by minnaloushe »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »
Not a marinade, but this is a nice sauce for pork.  The recipe uses a pork tenderloin, but I'm sure it can be modified for a roast.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/ShowRecipe.aspx?rid=14331

Pork Medallions with Dijon-Mushroom Sauce
5   teaspoons butter
1   shallot, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
1   jar (4.5 oz) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained
1   teaspoon vegetable oil
1   pork tenderloin (1/2 to 3/4 lb), cut into 8 (3/4-inch-thick) slices
1/8   teaspoon salt
1/8   teaspoon pepper
1   tablespoon cognac or apple juice
1   tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2   cup whipping cream
   Fresh thyme sprigs or basil leaves, if desired

1 .      In 8-inch skillet, melt 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat. Add shallot and mushrooms; cook and stir 1 minute or until tender. Remove from skillet.
2 .     To same skillet, add remaining 3 teaspoons butter and the oil. Add pork; cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning slices halfway through cooking, until browned and no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet; cover to keep warm.
3 .     Gradually add cognac to same skillet; stir in mustard and cream. Heat to boiling; boil 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Add mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce over pork slices; garnish with thyme.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 11:24:53 PM »
I have a great marinade for pork and roast:

Pork Marinade   If you really like "in your face" flavour, add more ginger or red pepper flakes, depending on your tastebuds.

edenparadox

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »
Mine is pretty simple:

a good amount of extra virgin olive oil
a good splash of vinegar - any kind you like, apple cider is a good choice
a handful of crushed garlic
a sprinkle of rosemary
a dash of parsley
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper

Mix with pork and let sit for a few hours. Stir it every so often and add more vinegar and oil if it gets too dry.

I like pan searing them and then finishing them at a low heat. Sorry for the imprecise amounts but I don't really follow a recipe.

parker6221

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »
I'm like edenparadox - no real recipe.

Marinate roast in worcestire (sp?) sauce, vinagrette of your choice, and whatever else sounds good. Pan sear roast.  Throw in crockpot. Add onions, onion soup mix, orange juice, and maple syrup.

MrsP81

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:56:21 AM »
This is more of a rub but it is delicious! I just use a bit of lemon juice instead of the zest (I find the zest is too much of a citrus flavour).

Seasoning rub

1 T softened butter or olive oil
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T brown sugar
1 T steak sauce (such as A1)
1 T minced fresh rosemary
1 T minced fresh thyme
2 t minced garlic
1 1/2 t salt (sea salt)
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t grated lemon zest

Bharris

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 10:42:16 PM »
Here's a rub I use, it's very simple.
3 tablespoons hot olive oil
2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
2 tablespoons dried rosemary, or 4-5 sprigs chopped fresh
2 tablespoons coarse salt
Mix all ingredients except garlic.  With sharp knife, cut small holes evenly all over roast.  Insert garlic slivers into holes.  Rub roast with the oil paste.  Let sit for 30 min-2 hours before cooking.

Hot olive oil
1 quart olive oil
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 fresh hot pepper of your choice.
1-2 dried peppers
Remove stem from fresh pepper and chop.  (For a milder oil, remove seeds.)  Combine all ingredients in a sealed or corked jar and allow to stand for at least 1 week.  The oil in useable after that.
I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 12:54:33 PM »
Ok, I did a pork tenderloin last night (got one for only $3 - how good a deal was that?!) and I did it like this:

Using a microplane, I grated some fresh ginger over the top (lots of it).  Sprinkled some grill spices (I used the McCormick Hamburger Grill Spices).  And covered it with soy sauce.  That's it.

Cooked it until the internal temperature was 160 and let it rest 10 minutes.

It was incredible!  This is, absolutely, the way I'm doing it from now on.  Quick.  Easy.  And, very yummy! :)

Arianoor

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 06:36:53 PM »
Bonnie's Drunk Marinade

2 tbs. EVOO
3 tbs. Demitri's Blood Mary Seasoning
1 tbs. chopped garlic
1/4 cup alcohol, I've used apricot brandy, Jack Daniels, tequila, etc.
3 dashes Agnostra Bitters
Some freshly ground red pepper

Mix it all together with the meat, cover, and let it sit in the fridge for .5 to 24 hours.