Author Topic: Reporting Procedures  (Read 13503 times)

War_Doc

Reporting Procedures
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
Greetings one and all,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who takes the time to report violations or those posts they think that may be violations.  This also includes the movement of posts from one section to another.

When you are reporting a violation, please ensure the following things are taken into account:

1.  What may seem like a violation to you may not necessarily be a violation.  When you submit a report violation, please include why you think that something is a violation because a lot of times, different people interpret the same post very differently.

2.  Even if something seems bluntly obvious that it is a violation, please include a quick "blurb" as to the nature of the post and why it seems to be a violation.

3.  Always keep in mind that just because something is reported, that doesn't mean that action will be taken.  In addition, don't be offended or discouraged if something doesn't seem to be acted upon.  The moderators do look at each violation and may even discuss some to ensure that all are on the same page.

4.  Yes, E-Helldame does own the boards but it is up to us to patrol and ensure that the boards maintain the high quality standards that we know and expect.

Again, the only real issue we are having is people submitting blank violation reports.  It's hard to get a feel for things if you don't know where the reporter is coming from.

Other then that, keep up the good work on the boards and let us continue to maintain the high quality that we already have.

Thanks,

Kevin
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
Re: Reporting Procedures
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:53:57 AM »
<<<HUGS>>> to the Mods for doing a difficult job

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:53:49 AM »

Again, the only real issue we are having is people submitting blank violation reports.  It's hard to get a feel for things if you don't know where the reporter is coming from.

I'm pretty sure I am responsible for some of those... I accidently click report instead of rply, and then panic and hit the back space.  I am sorry :-[
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:33:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure I am responsible for some of those... I accidently click report instead of rply, and then panic and hit the back space.  I am sorry :-[

Nah, you have to click a second time after clicking report, so it's not you.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:23:23 PM »
We just got two reports and for the life of me, I can't see what the problem is.  With either thread.

An explanation of what you think is wrong is very helpful.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
And there's really not "punishment" for reporting a thread. The mods keep it on the way downlow as to who reported things and it doesn't become cannon fodder for forum war and backbiting. It's handled in a very professional manner. So don't be scared someone's going to "get you back". It does not happen.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
Honestly, I very rarely even pay attention to who is doing the reporting, it gives me a link directly to the thread in an email, with the reporter's comments about why they think it's a problem. I read the comments, click the thread and try to make a decision as to whether or not it's something that needs moderator involvement at all.
Utah

AngelicGamer

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
I am seconding the hugs to the Mods - thank you very much for keeping this place great. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Danismom

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »
Thanks for this information.  I was wondering what happened when a thread is reported.  I am also wondering if the reporter hears back from the mods in some way.  I know the mods are busy and that this is a labor of love (unpaid).  I just wonder sometimes if I'm reporting things inappropriately or if the mods got my message at all.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »
The way reporting is set up, it's just not easy or practical to reply to the person reporting the problem. The forum software sends us an email. Sometimes we get multiple emails for one post at nearly the same time.

If you send a private message, you *might* get a reply saying something like "Thanks for the heads up, we'll look into it." but you most likely won't get a reply saying what action will be taken.
Utah

cabbageweevil

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »
If this question has been raised and answered elsewhere, and escaped my notice; I apologise.  Am curious, and would be grateful for enlightenment.  If I understand rightly, at the bottom right-hand corner of a post -- where it says "Report to moderator" -- on posts of one's own, one sees (when logged-in) a capital L plus some figures which are presumably some kind of a record of reportings, of posts which one has made.  The "default" legend for this bottom-right-hand-corner spot, is "L Logged" -- that is what one sees on everybody's posts, except for one's own.  Or have I got things wrong?

In the bottom-right-hand-corner spot on my posts, at present I see the L, plus four different figures (not in numerical order). I'd interpret that to indicate that four of my posts -- numbered in chronological order -- had been reported; except that the second figure, is one rather higher than my total number of posts to date !

I would be grateful for an explanation of how this business works, if time can be spared for such.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »
That number is the IP address you posted from. In case you don't know what an IP address is, basically every internet connection has a number (sort of like a phone number) associated with it. For some people, this number changes every time they log on to the internet, for others it remains constant, it depends on the kind of internet service you have.

If you google 'what is my IP address' , then you should have your ip address displayed to you. There are also websites you can use to search for certain IP addresses and get the approximate location of that user. So if I use one of these sites to search for my IP address, it tells me that I am located in MyCity.

Hope that helps!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
Teenyweeny -- thanks.  I Googled "what is my IP address", and got the very sequence of numbers, which I find in bottom-right-hand-corner of my posts.  So, presumably, not about being reported (not that I'd have a problem with people considering posts of mine "off", and reporting them).

The whole thing seems completely weird to me; but then, I'm self-confessedly a Bronze-ager who blindly does what the time-travellers from a couple of millennia hence, instruct me to do...

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »
Moderators, admins can see all the IP addresses.  Each person can see their own but no one else's.   The software does track what IPs members are coming in from.

Clair Seulement

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »

I did the same thing once yesterday by accident. I wasn't sure whether it "went through" since I took no further action, rather I just backed up my browser.