News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 02, 2015, 05:10:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Locked topic - can we see why?  (Read 57662 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Locked topic - can we see why?
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »
What I wonder about, and perhaps a mod could weigh in on this if they have time, is if a thread is locked for something like this, is it okay to start a new thread on the same topic, and if so, how soon? If the topic itself is inappropriate or the OP is behaving badly, of course, starting an identical thread a few days later is not a good idea. But for a long-running thread that gets derailed, how do the mods feel about starting a new (in this case) Instant Justice thread, perhaps with a note at the top warning against content such as Airelenaren suggested?

Or is it the sort of thing where the whole topic should just lie dormant, for at least a few months anyway?
~Lynn2000

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
What I wonder about, and perhaps a mod could weigh in on this if they have time, is if a thread is locked for something like this, is it okay to start a new thread on the same topic, and if so, how soon? If the topic itself is inappropriate or the OP is behaving badly, of course, starting an identical thread a few days later is not a good idea. But for a long-running thread that gets derailed, how do the mods feel about starting a new (in this case) Instant Justice thread, perhaps with a note at the top warning against content such as Airelenaren suggested?

Or is it the sort of thing where the whole topic should just lie dormant, for at least a few months anyway?

In the past, the moderators have shut down a few of the rebooted threads quite rapidly - partly because they seemed to be heading downhill in a hand basket rather rapidly - there's a proverb or two in the English language about the ultimate destination of things going downhill in a hand basket...and it looks familiar but minus the word "etiquette". 

Other reboots have done okay for a while - even Etiquette Hell has a rare troll wandering through and posting to see what they can stir up.  A few get to take a rest from posting, some get banned permanently, and a few Drama Queen Trolls stalk out with the retort "you're never going to see me post here again".

But rebooted threads just don't seem to have the staying power of original threads...their life span is almost always shorter.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »
Well, hmmm.

It's hard to say because it's so often a judgement call.  But, really, is the moderation here such a big mystery?  I sometimes get PMs from people who express great concern at stepping on moderating toes, and people do get banned or gagged, but I've always thought the rules were both simple and reasonable.  Am I wrong?

POF

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
I think moderation has been very very good in the last few years. 

At one time - I observed some things I felt were inconsistent and presented very harshly.I was scolded once  harshly in a PM and was kind of hurt by it. So -  I took a break from the forum for a while ( on my own initiative ) and didn't post for a while .  ( of course I came back )

I think current moderation is very fair and pretty easy to follow.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »
For example, in the Instant Justice thread, the warning would have said "no upsetting content regardless of outcome".

I don't think that would work. For a start, what's upsetting to one person (or mod) could be completely acceptable for another. Many a time, I've seen posters say they find a phrase or word upsetting and mentally rolled my eyes because I personally think the word/phrase is perfectly acceptable.

AustenFan

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »
For example, in the Instant Justice thread, the warning would have said "no upsetting content regardless of outcome".

I don't think that would work. For a start, what's upsetting to one person (or mod) could be completely acceptable for another. Many a time, I've seen posters say they find a phrase or word upsetting and mentally rolled my eyes because I personally think the word/phrase is perfectly acceptable.

I agree that's unenforceable.  In the last couple days there have been 2 posts that upset me, one was the starving dog one and I'm glad the thread was shut down. I come here to relax and marvel at snowflakes, not to be reminded of puppy mills. The other was one about child abuse,  I believe the OP is a social worker of some sort and posted in the INAH folder. That one was sad and came with a warning so I knew what I was clicking on.

I think the moderation here is pretty consistent, and I appreciate when a mod tells us why moderation action was taken (it's not always clear if posts have been deleted/edited) and I like the public warnings, too. It sets a very clear expectation re: what is acceptable and sometimes it's nice to know that I'm not alone when some topic or poster is rubbing the wrong way.

Shalamar

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
Hi, all - I'm the one who posted the "instant justice" about the dogs.  First off, I'm very sorry that I upset people (and I deeply regret being the one who got that thread locked.  It was a very interesting thread).

For what it's worth, my recollection is that the mother and puppies were adopted.    I hope that helps.  (I'm an animal lover myself, and I would never have posted such a story if that hadn't been the case.)

Once again, I apologize.