Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

spiral-cut ham and the clueless Tabris

(1/3) > >>

Tabris:
For reasons beyond me, the Tabris family will be having a spiral-cut ham for Christmas dinner this year. Previously it's been turkey or something else that Tabris knows how to cook.

Would anyone mind helping a clueless Tabris figure out the menu?

In place of the turkey from a turkey dinner, you obviously have ham. It comes with a packet of glaze or soemthing I guess I spread over the ham prior to cooking, and there are probably instructions. I can cope with this. Not sure how to slice it, but that's Mr. Tabris's problem rather than mine.

But usually you stuff a turkey, and you can't stuff a ham, so what else do I do?

And mashed potatoes--they're not terrific without gravy, and you can't make ham gravy, so what should I do about that? Find something else to do with potatoes? Make biscuits instead?

Stuffed mushrooms will probably be mandatory this year, as Mr. Tabris loves them and never gets them at other times.

Red wine or white wine with ham?

I am one utterly befuddled Tabris right now. :(

Shoo:
You CAN make ham gravy, and it's really good!

As the ham warms up in the oven, it will release juices.  Those juices, mixed with the juices from the glazing, will make for a somewhat "sweet" gravy, but it's still very good.

You would simply collect all the drippings and make your gravy as usual.  For ham gravy, I prefer using a cornstarch thickener, so the gravy is more translucent.  But flour works just as well.

Ehelldame:
I'm having a Honeybaked Ham (insert little trademark symbol) this year at the request of the kids.  Honeybaked Ham salesperson instructed me that their hams are fully cooked and not meant to be served heated.   I may heat it anyway.

For sides I'm making what I would make for Thanksgiving although instead of mashed potatoes, I might make potato rosettes. 

Here's a delicious ham sauce I serve with ham:

RAISIN SAUCE FOR HAM

cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp.  Cornstarch
1 tsp. Ground mustard
1 cups water
cup raisins
2 Tbsp. White vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
tsp. Grated lemon peel
2 Tbsp. Butter or margarine

In a sauce pan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and mustard.  Stir in the water, raisins, vinegar, lemon juice and peel until blended.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in butter until melted. Serve warm over sliced ham.  Makes 2 cups.

Suze:

--- Quote from: Tabris on December 20, 2006, 12:10:17 PM ---For reasons beyond me, the Tabris family will be having a spiral-cut ham for Christmas dinner this year. Previously it's been turkey or something else that Tabris knows how to cook.

Would anyone mind helping a clueless Tabris figure out the menu?

In place of the turkey from a turkey dinner, you obviously have ham. It comes with a packet of glaze or soemthing I guess I spread over the ham prior to cooking, and there are probably instructions. I can cope with this. Not sure how to slice it, but that's Mr. Tabris's problem rather than mine.

But usually you stuff a turkey, and you can't stuff a ham, so what else do I do?

And mashed potatoes--they're not terrific without gravy, and you can't make ham gravy, so what should I do about that? Find something else to do with potatoes? Make biscuits instead?

Stuffed mushrooms will probably be mandatory this year, as Mr. Tabris loves them and never gets them at other times.

Red wine or white wine with ham?

I am one utterly befuddled Tabris right now. :(

--- End quote ---

First there is nothing to cutting a spiral cut ham, just whack it down one side and it falls apart into slices.  We are usually of the camp that dumps lemon-lime soda on ham to cook it.

Mom always made her stuffing out of the bird anyway and just laid some chicken parts on top of it for flavor.  The kids liked drumsticks and there was usually a fight over them, so that's what she used. (I don't care if there is stuffing or not)

Mashed potatos just need a lot of butter and corn on top for me. (yeah, I admit it I'm weird)

Wine - I don't know about

Maybe this helped a tiny little bit

Suze

melodrama:
I vote for cheesy potatoes with ham.  It's a delicious combination.  Either cheesy mashed potatoes or scalloped potatoes is what I usually do.

The ham may come with glaze or you can make your own pretty easily.  Ham likes sweets, so lots of people glaze thier ham with Sprite or some other soda.  I use orange juice and brown sugar.

My mom puts cloves in her hams, and it's really tasty, though time consuming.  Make light slices along the back of the ham vertically and diagonally (you'll have a diamond pattern when you're done) then stick a little whole clove in the places where the lines meet.  Again...time consuming but tasty.  Your ham might come pre-scored, which makes that job easier.  The scores also make the glaze sink into the ham better.

Add a green veggie, and you're done!
Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version