Author Topic: spiral-cut ham and the clueless Tabris  (Read 4402 times)

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
spiral-cut ham and the clueless Tabris
« on: December 20, 2006, 12:10:17 PM »
For reasons beyond me, the Tabris family will be having a spiral-cut ham for Christmas dinner this year. Previously it's been turkey or something else that Tabris knows how to cook.

Would anyone mind helping a clueless Tabris figure out the menu?

In place of the turkey from a turkey dinner, you obviously have ham. It comes with a packet of glaze or soemthing I guess I spread over the ham prior to cooking, and there are probably instructions. I can cope with this. Not sure how to slice it, but that's Mr. Tabris's problem rather than mine.

But usually you stuff a turkey, and you can't stuff a ham, so what else do I do?

And mashed potatoes--they're not terrific without gravy, and you can't make ham gravy, so what should I do about that? Find something else to do with potatoes? Make biscuits instead?

Stuffed mushrooms will probably be mandatory this year, as Mr. Tabris loves them and never gets them at other times.

Red wine or white wine with ham?

I am one utterly befuddled Tabris right now. :(

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: spiral-cut ham and the clueless Tabris
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:14:20 PM »
You CAN make ham gravy, and it's really good!

As the ham warms up in the oven, it will release juices.  Those juices, mixed with the juices from the glazing, will make for a somewhat "sweet" gravy, but it's still very good.

You would simply collect all the drippings and make your gravy as usual.  For ham gravy, I prefer using a cornstarch thickener, so the gravy is more translucent.  But flour works just as well.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »
I'm having a Honeybaked Ham (insert little trademark symbol) this year at the request of the kids.  Honeybaked Ham salesperson instructed me that their hams are fully cooked and not meant to be served heated.   I may heat it anyway.

For sides I'm making what I would make for Thanksgiving although instead of mashed potatoes, I might make potato rosettes. 

Here's a delicious ham sauce I serve with ham:

RAISIN SAUCE FOR HAM

½ cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp.  Cornstarch
1 tsp. Ground mustard
1 ½ cups water
½ cup raisins
2 Tbsp. White vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
¼ tsp. Grated lemon peel
2 Tbsp. Butter or margarine

In a sauce pan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and mustard.  Stir in the water, raisins, vinegar, lemon juice and peel until blended.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in butter until melted. Serve warm over sliced ham.  Makes 2 cups.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »
For reasons beyond me, the Tabris family will be having a spiral-cut ham for Christmas dinner this year. Previously it's been turkey or something else that Tabris knows how to cook.

In place of the turkey from a turkey dinner, you obviously have ham. It comes with a packet of glaze or soemthing I guess I spread over the ham prior to cooking, and there are probably instructions. I can cope with this. Not sure how to slice it, but that's Mr. Tabris's problem rather than mine.

But usually you stuff a turkey, and you can't stuff a ham, so what else do I do?

And mashed potatoes--they're not terrific without gravy, and you can't make ham gravy, so what should I do about that? Find something else to do with potatoes? Make biscuits instead?

Stuffed mushrooms will probably be mandatory this year, as Mr. Tabris loves them and never gets them at other times.

First there is nothing to cutting a spiral cut ham, just whack it down one side and it falls apart into slices.  We are usually of the camp that dumps lemon-lime soda on ham to cook it.

Mom always made her stuffing out of the bird anyway and just laid some chicken parts on top of it for flavor.  The kids liked drumsticks and there was usually a fight over them, so that's what she used. (I don't care if there is stuffing or not)

Mashed potatos just need a lot of butter and corn on top for me. (yeah, I admit it I'm weird)

Wine - I don't know about

Maybe this helped a tiny little bit

Suze

Reality is for people who lack Imagination

melodrama

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 12:32:32 PM »
I vote for cheesy potatoes with ham.  It's a delicious combination.  Either cheesy mashed potatoes or scalloped potatoes is what I usually do.

The ham may come with glaze or you can make your own pretty easily.  Ham likes sweets, so lots of people glaze thier ham with Sprite or some other soda.  I use orange juice and brown sugar.

My mom puts cloves in her hams, and it's really tasty, though time consuming.  Make light slices along the back of the ham vertically and diagonally (you'll have a diamond pattern when you're done) then stick a little whole clove in the places where the lines meet.  Again...time consuming but tasty.  Your ham might come pre-scored, which makes that job easier.  The scores also make the glaze sink into the ham better.

Add a green veggie, and you're done!
Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 03:24:29 PM »
I'm doing a smoked ham this year and the menu reads as follows:
Ham
Macaroni and Cheese (see side dishes under the cookbook project for my Granny's tried and true recipe, I get stalked for this stuff)
Mashed Potatoes and Ham gravy
Peas
Corn
Seven Layer Salad (also on the cookbook project)
Rolls
Deviled Eggs
I like smoked ham, I'm not big on the glazed variety...but you can definitely do gravy. I put some water in the pan and cover it so that the juices stay in, and then I thicken that broth to a great gravy with cornstarch.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

graceh9

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:50:28 PM »

you don't need to cook a spiral ham -- at least the ones we get -- we prefer them cold but you can heat them up -- they are already as glazed as they need to be -- nothing need be done -- the easiest meal on earth

the sides can be the same ones you use for turkey but why not do scalloped potatoes or baked potatoes so the issue of gravy doesn't come up rather than mashed potatoes?

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »
I agree cheesy side + ham = a very happy irishone.
Escalloped potatos or mac & cheese are especially yummy.
Also good with ham - sweet potatos.
We love the same ole same ole green bean cassarole in our house, but whole green beans lightly steamed are good too (just don't over cook them, then they are just gross!)

magicdomino

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 04:16:54 PM »
Instead of cranberry sauce, you can serve applesauce.  Plain, fancy, homemade, canned, whatever you prefer.  Apples go very well with ham.

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 04:31:02 PM »
Thank you all!  I'm feeling a lot less overwhelmed now. I'll run the options by Mr. Tabris tonight, but I have a feelign we'll be doing the cheesy scalloped potatoes.

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

amiboo

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 02:14:54 AM »
It may be to late but I have to throw in my 2c.  I have a wonderful recipe for potatoes.  Most of the time I make them in my cast iron Dutch oven over coals but my less outdoorsy sister makes them in a roasting pan in the oven.  Either way they're very good and they go really well with ham.  It's a pretty big recipe but easily cut in half or less - amounts are not exact as I don't measure anything. 

Dutch Oven Potatoes & Onions

8 lbs potatoes, unpeeled (I prefer unpeeled but you can peel them)
3 lrg sweet onions    (Vidalia, Maui, Walla Walla or other sweet onion)
2 lbs bacon, cut up (yeah, yeah it's a lot but mmmmmmm, good flavor)
3/4 cp water
3 Tbls lemon pepper Mrs Dash
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cube butter - the real thing (NOT light margarine, it's watery)
1 lb whole button mushrooms (on the small side)
1 lb Cheddar/Jack cheese, grated

Cut up the bacon and fry it up till done.  Remove the bacon from the oven, don’t drain the grease. 

Put the water in the bottom of the oven (or pan).  Slice the potatoes and onions (not to thin, maybe 1/4" or so),  layer them in the oven with the salt, pepper and Mrs Dash so that the seasoning is mixed all thru.  Cut up the butter and put it on top.  Pour the bacon over all, put the lid on and bake at a med temp (about *325) for an hour.  (The lid should fit tightly so the steam stays in the pan.)

Stir in the mushrooms and cheese and cook another 20-30 min or so over med heat.  Stir well and serve.    Could be topped w/additional cheese.   :P

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »

Mashed potatos just need a lot of butter and corn on top for me. (yeah, I admit it I'm weird)

I thought I was the only person on earth who put her corn on top of her mashed potatoes....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 09:40:45 PM »
SISTER !

Nope most of our family does that.  I even have one of my friends sons doing it.  His Dad calls us Heathens - not that I mind, I sorta am one. 

Dad also liked peas that way
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:50:37 PM »
One of my favorite local places puts corn, bits of carrot, and even the occasional snippet of green bean in their d-double-licious mashed potatoes.  Not lots of goodies in there, you just run onto one or two bits in each bite.   Heavenly.

I always toss any leftover corn into the leftover mashed potatoes.  So good!