Author Topic: Horrible attitude from the letter writer  (Read 15563 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Horrible attitude from the letter writer
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
In my area, everyone from the middle of Virginia up is a Yankee. Northern Virginia is not a term only refering to a geographical area, but also a cultural area. It's very strange.

I live in Maryland.

Northerners call me a southerner and Southerners call me a northerner. (Really. Friends in Buffalo in Texas have done exactly that.)

I would never have pegged myself as a Yankee, though. That's well north of here.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

L.A. Lady

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »
I've been called a Yankee before. I'm from California. ???

The Civil War ended a 150 years ago, so why the "name calling?"

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
I've been called a Yankee before. I'm from California. ???

The Civil War ended a 150 years ago, so why the "name calling?"
Pure, stubborn tradition handed down through the generations.  :)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

KarenK

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
And while I lived in Chicago, I certainly got teased about being a Texan - sometimes it was rude, usually it was just an awkward tease.  I can't begin to count how many times I've heard "Texas?!  Only steers & (rhymes with steers, starts with a Q) come from Texas!" from Full Metal Jacket.

Well, you could always mention that Chuck Norris lives in Texas.  ;D

I thought the relevant quote was from An Officer and a Gentleman.

OT

This line's probably been used in nearly every movie about a drill instructor and a bunch of raw recruits.

/OT

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »
As far as the Civil War goes, the end of the war was not the end of contention between North and South.  Reconstruction is the source of a lot of bitterness.

ETA:  The North/South conflict also reflects the tensions between industrial advancements and agrarian tradition in the country.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:34:57 PM by Sharnita »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »
I am Texas born and bred - I have no love for the confederacy.

I use the term Yankee, because to me it describes a region of the country with different customs. My friend is a Yankee - I had to explain what a kolache (sp) and Chilli Con Caso (SP) both are because she was unfamiliar with them. I had to explain why should could NOT say "Boy* come over here now" without the boys in the class exploding.

If  I relocated to her home turf I wouldn't be surprised if she had to explain things to me. For one I couldn't drive in snow.

I only remember 1 time my father or any member of his family used the term to put someone down. It was during Alicia - actually during the Eye. We stepped out of the house to see if there was damage to the huge trees around our house and to check on two widowed neighbors. 2 cars head down the street. Dad stops them. It is two new families from the north east. They are going out to look at the damage. Dad tries to explain the storm isn't over. They called him a Dumb hick. I swear I thought Dad was going to rip their children out of their back seats and take them into our house for safety. They continue to argue - till I interrupt and point out the eye wall heading towards us. The pure look of terror on those parent's faces. They backed down the street rather than turn around. When we got into the house - Dad who rarely swore cursed a blue streak about dumb yankees.

He never like those neighbors - especially after they tried to kill a bunch of bullsnakes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2010, 03:15:31 AM »
I lived overseas for a couple years.  I taught at a highschool where the kids where super proud of their cultural heritage (they were apples in a country of oranges).  They couldn't understand that I didn't consider myself pink bunny, I had a pink bunny last name, why didn't I call myself a  pink bunny?

I explained I was American, didn't matter who my ancestors were, I was proud my country was blend of every culture.  I further explained that Americans identify themselves by region and take a lot of pride in that.  No region was better or worse, but we each had our on culture that we embraced.  I am a from the Pacific Northwest but was raised by Midwest Lutherans,  I am the perfect mix of Seattle and Prairie Home Companion (think vegan gluten free hotdish, oh yes, I go there), that is my culture and heritage.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
I use the term Yankee, because to me it describes a region of the country with different customs. My friend is a Yankee - I had to explain what a kolache (sp) and Chilli Con Caso (SP) both are because she was unfamiliar with them. I had to explain why should could NOT say "Boy* come over here now" without the boys in the class exploding.

Yankees are very different from Southerners, yes indeed.  When Mr. P. and I were engaged and went north to introduce me to the family, they kept observing that it was "so hot and humid" up there at the time, and were sure I was uncomfortable.

Heh, I'd just come up from 100-degree heat and 90% humidity.  80 degrees warn't nothin'.

(Oh, you got "kolache" right, but the other is "chili con queso".  ;) )
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »

Yankees are very different from Southerners, yes indeed.  When Mr. P. and I were engaged and went north to introduce me to the family, they kept observing that it was "so hot and humid" up there at the time, and were sure I was uncomfortable.

Heh, I'd just come up from 100-degree heat and 90% humidity.  80 degrees warn't nothin'.

(Oh, you got "kolache" right, but the other is "chili con queso".  ;) )

And I've had EXACTLY the opposite experience.  The first time I went to New Orleans in July, everyone thought my bff and I must be melting.  It was actually hotter and more humid in Iowa.  New Orleans was a welcome respite :)

OT--the people here in Colorado keep asking me if it's still cold outside.  To me, it's never cold here, so no.  Then again, unless you are in the mountains, Colorado is really temperate.
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

missanpan

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »
Last year, my younger sister moved to Anne Arbor, Michigan to attend the Univ. of Michigan.  This is after living in Texas for the past 20+ years.  While at a hair salon, she inadvertently said "y'all" and was squeals of how cute it was.

So imagine this, an Asian female from Texas with Southern nuances to her language.  How would Northerners/Southerners view this anomally?  ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2010, 04:57:02 AM »
Last year, my younger sister moved to Anne Arbor, Michigan to attend the Univ. of Michigan.  This is after living in Texas for the past 20+ years.  While at a hair salon, she inadvertently said "y'all" and was squeals of how cute it was.

So imagine this, an Asian female from Texas with Southern nuances to her language.  How would Northerners/Southerners view this anomally?  ;D

I would think it is adorable.

--Northerner, with Asian cousins who have Southern accents.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2010, 07:16:44 PM »

I believe I speak for most Texans when I say...Texan.
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »

From Louisiana:  A neighbor.   :)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx