Author Topic: But you're an RA!  (Read 5604 times)

Namárië

But you're an RA!
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
I just remembered this old story, and thought I would share one of the few times I wasn't a pushover.

In college, I was a Resident Assistant (RA). In case you're not familiar with the term, it means I was a student leader, made sure people followed the school rules, and tried to maintain some semblance of harmony in my area. There's a lot more, but that's the basics.

One night the year I worked in an apartment building, I got a knock on my door at 2:30am. This was pretty common, usually people wanted to complain to me about someone else's party. I dragged myself out of bed and answered the door to see one of my residents.

Resident: "Can I use your printer?"
Me: (still kinda foggy) "What?"
Resident: "Can I use your printer? I need to print out a paper."
Me: "No, I'm sorry."
Resident: "But you're an RA!!!"
Me: "The computer lab opens at 6am. You can print your paper out there. Sorry, I can't help you. Goodnight."

Then I closed the door and went back to sleep. I was pretty amazed with myself in the morning.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Pinky830

Re: But you're an RA!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »
Oh my word, did you just bring back some memories!! I wasn't an RA, but my roommate was. Most RAs at my school had private rooms, but while I was there, the college built a complex of 4-person townhouses that were for seniors, and the RAs there had roommates.

OK, so kep in mind that this was the late 80s, long before cell phones. Each hall had a house phone that could call other house phones, and they could also take calls from off campus. For the townhouses, some genius decided to put the house phones in the RAs' actual townhouses. (The other houses did have normal phone hookups, of course, and people who lived in them got their own phone service as you would in an apartment.)

Oh man, what a nightmare. Students would call the house phone asking for people who lived elsewhere in the complex. The complex covered 7 acres or so, and there was no way the 4 of us could, or should, walk across it and get people to answer phone calls in our HOUSE. Now, it wasn't totally their fault, since it was listed in the college directory simply as "Townhouses: Women's Area," but they should have thought for a second and realized that calling someone that way was just not practical...where did they think that phone was going to ring? Worse, people would call from off campus...people's parents and so forth.

We explained over and over that this particular phone was inside the RA's house, and to please call the house of the person they were looking for. They got really annoyed. We called the switchboard over and over and begged them to change the wording to "Townhouse: Women's RA Residence" but they refused.

But the worst was someone's mother, who was on the warpath looking for her daughter's roommates from the previous summer, who had skipped out on the little darling and left her with some unpaid bills. She was already plenty PO'd before she made the call, and my inability to immediately connect her with the deadbeats almost sent her over the edge. I can hear her in my mind's ear now, "BUT YOU HAVE TO! YOU'RE THE RA!!!" When I read the thread title, I flashed right back to it.

I really wanted to say, "Ma'am, I'm not the RA, I'm her roommate, and I don't HAVE to do anything. I can hang up this phone and walk out and won't you be up a creek." As it was, I did know the girls in question, and I promised Mom I would tell them to call her.

We should have just unplugged the stupid phone. The calls finally did taper off and stop as people figured it out, but what a pain.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
I wasn't an RA but I did have a room right next to the dorm payphone. One time I lost it on someone who called past midnight - not really my finest moment.  :-[
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Hillia

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
I went to an all-girls school in Mississippi for my first two years.  The 1920's era dorm I lived in had a hall pay phone, but the front desk contacted us on a PA system with a speaker in the hall.

All non-student visitors had to stop at the front desk to be announced, and especially men. When the front desk was calling you on the PA, you had a 'guest' if it was a gentleman caller, a 'visitor' for anyone else.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
I went to an all-girls school in Mississippi for my first two years.  The 1920's era dorm I lived in had a hall pay phone, but the front desk contacted us on a PA system with a speaker in the hall.

All non-student visitors had to stop at the front desk to be announced, and especially men. When the front desk was calling you on the PA, you had a 'guest' if it was a gentleman caller, a 'visitor' for anyone else.

I worked the front desk of my dorm for a couple of years, at a women's college. Nothing like calling up and letting someone know she had a "guest" and then having her ask, "But is he good-looking?" because he was a blind date. It is not easy to communicate that information over the phone when the gentleman in question is standing two feet away.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

eport

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »

The sorority I joined, it was the opposite. When pages,  "guests" were women and "visitors" were men.

Guests have breasts.