News:

• February 21, 2018, 05:45:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thanks to the staff at Dunkin Donuts  (Read 2373 times)

lecach

Thanks to the staff at Dunkin Donuts
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
My DS and I were in New York City with my DH the last few days. DH had to be there for work and we took advantage of the free hotel room. We were on our way back to our hotel and there are not too many public bathrooms in the city, even in fast food restaurants like we have at home.  DS who is 4 suddenly had to go potty. My choices were to let him go in his pants, let him go in the street, or hope I could find a bathroom. We went into Dunkin donuts and even though I could see there was no public bathroom I asked the staff if they had one. The male employee said no but the female said "is it for the baby?" and I said "yes, and I am sorry to ask but I didnt know where else to go". She told us to go on back and let us use the staff bathroom. And then she asked DS what his favorite donut was and gave him a bag full of munchkins with sprinkles. She would not let me pay. I was just so amazed because New Yorkers are known for being tough and yet this woman did something she didnt have to and showed kindness to us. 

kareng57

Re: Thanks to the staff at Dunkin Donuts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
That's awfully nice - but perhaps I'm misreading.

Did this Dunkin Donuts outlet not have washrooms for patrons?  I'd have thought that this would be a requirement, as it usually is for restaurants.  And for stores that do not provide public washrooms (such as, perhaps, a small dress shop) - they can't legally allow anyone access to it for non-employees.

ashley

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »
That's awfully nice - but perhaps I'm misreading.

Did this Dunkin Donuts outlet not have washrooms for patrons?  I'd have thought that this would be a requirement, as it usually is for restaurants.  And for stores that do not provide public washrooms (such as, perhaps, a small dress shop) - they can't legally allow anyone access to it for non-employees.

New York City is a bit...different. There's few public bathrooms, so many businesses have no (public) bathrooms. I believe it's mostly to stop a constant flow of people coming in only to use the toliet. And also - a lot of the bathrooms open to the public are positively disgusting. But there's always a Starbucks!

As far as it being illegal, yah it probably was, but for a little kid, I think a large amount of people would break that law.

Millicent

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:02:56 PM »
A sit down type restaurant, yes, they'd have a restroom. Most D&D's here in the city, at least the ones I frequent, are strictly take-out. No seats or anything so no public restroom necessary.

New Yorkers aren't all as tough and crumedgeonly as people like to think.  :)

Veronica

• the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Awww.  I'd write an email to corporate and saying how well you were treated at D&D there.  I'd leave out the bathroom part and the donuts part because the employee might get in trouble.  I'd mention the "friendly" and "accomodating" service by employee X and how it really made you have a good impression of D&D.   :)

Florida

Enigmatism

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »
I've been in a similar situation.
It's something about the sight of a small child doing the pee-pee dance on the end of your arm that arouses sympathy in most people!

lecach

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »

New Yorkers aren't all as tough and crumedgeonly as people like to think.  :)

I completely agree. We had nothing but nice kindnessfrom everyone we encountered - even the guys hanging around outside the parole office (right down from our hotel). Honestly there wasnt a single piece of rudeness - even at Macy's on the day after Thanksgiving. New Yorkers do not deserve their mean reputation, that's for sure  ;)