Author Topic: Used it and stayed out of trouble!  (Read 10085 times)

Lily

Used it and stayed out of trouble!
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
This happened a long, long time ago.....1972.  I was in the Air Force at the time and working in communications.
Two new airmen were assigned to my area, a woman and a man.  They were both about my age, 20 or so. I was more or less a goody-two-shoes and as straight as they come.  These two people, out of the clear blue sky, invited me to go shopping with them at a local mall.  On the way off the base, the guy asked me if I liked his new after shave because it was supposed to smell like marijuana.  Being the polite person I am, I gave a non-commital positive.  I couldn't smell anything but wanted to be nice.  Later on the girl and I were in Spencers (a novelty store).  She steered me over to the incense and said that she wanted to find one that smelled like pot.  Well, I thought to myself "If you want the smell of pot, why don't you just buy some", but I kept my thoughts to myself and said nothing. Yes, I thought it strange that they each wanted to smell like pot. Heck, I didn't even know what pot smelled like so I was not going to be of any help anyway.

So, why did this keep me out of potential trouble?  These two were undercover military police officers and were befriending each person in the outfit to sniff out any illegal drug users!  By keeping my mouth shut, I stopped any further investigation of myself, not that there was anything to find! ::)

Jocelyn

Re: Used it and stayed out of trouble!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
I apparently lack whatever gene is necessary to smell pot. :)
This got me into trouble one time in college, when I purchased an insecticide to treat a roommate's pride and joy, a very large umbrella plant. Apparently the insecticide smelled like pot, and the whole dorm was talking about the two of us stinking up the place. :)

wheeitsme

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
Ahhhhhhh...

That faintly bohemian subculture hippie aroma.
;)

...yeah, not really sure about the smell either.  Every so often when my husband and I go to certain concerts or places he mentions that he smells it.  I'm not sure I could identify it from any other herbal smudge.

But I do think that it is perfectly acceptable at any age, when the situation comes up, to admit to a total lack of knowledge.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:29:09 PM by wheeitsme »

Elle

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
Lol, I would have assumed they were using pot and trying to find something to cover it up ("Reefer? Heck no, that's just my aftershave!  ::) ). Probably would have reported my suspicions of them in fact  ;D

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
Really?  They don't sound very good at their jobs.  There "methods" for finding illegal drug use had me laughing my rear off.

"So sonny boy, do you know where I can get some of tose mahr-aw-wanny ciggarettes kids like to smoke these days?"
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
Lol, I would have assumed they were using pot and trying to find something to cover it up ("Reefer? Heck no, that's just my aftershave!  ::) ). Probably would have reported my suspicions of them in fact  ;D

Me too!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
Who knows? Possibly they got a lot of hits - "You want your place to smell like pot? Well, I know this guy...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
That seems like a pretty inefficient way to go about it. Two people, working one person at a time and clumsily at that!  ::)

Lily

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:19:42 AM »
That seems like a pretty inefficient way to go about it. Two people, working one person at a time and clumsily at that

What can I say?  They weren't much older than me.... maybe 22.  I had a quiet chuckle myself when I found out who they were (after they were reassigned).

Nibsey

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
A funny aside my friend is living at home at the moment and he came home the other day to his mom going nuts that she found pot in his room. My friend was shocked (not only by the acusation but by the fact that he's 25 and she was going through his room) and denied it. She was really upset and when he denied it she threw a small rectangle box at him saying, "well whats this then" He picks it up looks at it and says "do you really think pot comes in a obvious manufactures box with a picture of a leaf, that says marijuana scented incense and that pot looks like incense stick". lol He got it as a joke christmas present one year. He says the look on her face was priceless.  ;D
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:26 AM »
Really?  They don't sound very good at their jobs.  There "methods" for finding illegal drug use had me laughing my rear off.

The military should have used recent college graduates who had lived in the dorms.  They would have at least some knowledge of how these things are done, even if they had not done so themselves..  These two sound like they just fell off a cabbage truck.

On the other hand, they might have been trained in this sort of subterfuge. :P

Corbin

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
They are a little better at it now.  :P
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

la5vegas

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
When I joined the military we had a drug lecture that went:

1) These are what the (drugs) look like.
2) This is what they smell like.
3) This is where you may be offered them.
4) Don't do it.

I was 17 and didn't have a clue till they told me what to look for, how to make sure it authentic and where to buy it.  :o  And no - I didn't.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »
Ahhhhhhh...

That faintly bohemian subculture hippie aroma.
;)

((confused look))

I thought that hippies smelled like Patchouli?

Or was it granola?

Although I suppose that they might smell like all three.........

In the prime hippie years, I lived in West Texas.  Not a hangout for many hippies..........unless they were atypical and liked their counterculture music with a country western twang..........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

LeeLee88

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »
When I joined the military we had a drug lecture that went:

1) These are what the (drugs) look like.
2) This is what they smell like.
3) This is where you may be offered them.
4) Don't do it.

I was 17 and didn't have a clue till they told me what to look for, how to make sure it authentic and where to buy it.  :o  And no - I didn't.

Depending on who the teacher is, it's still done like that to an extent.  My oldest brother had never seen a pot leaf before, and they were passing one around that was encased in this massive glass brick.  He looked at it and was like, "Poison sumac?  What do I care?"  :P  For being children of hippies, we were surprisingly sheltered.