Author Topic: The difference Between Onions  (Read 4464 times)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
The difference Between Onions
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
So I always cook with white onions. I use red for when I'm going to serve them raw. I have no idea why I would ever use a yellow onion.

My BF came home with a red onion the other day I was going to use in cooking. I was not happy. I have no idea why this stressed me out so much, it just seemed wrong.

So ladies, am I wrong, are red onions good for cooking? What's really the difference between the three? (By the way if Bedalliah onions are available I will use them for everything, I love a Bedalliah, they're just very rarely available here) (I also realize I did not spell Bedalliah right, as Google wouldn't even give me a suggestion for it, so please excuse my creative spelling)

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
Re: The difference Between Onions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:44:21 PM »
I have no idea on the difference for onions, but the reason you didn't get a suggestion on Bedalliah is because it is actually Vidalia. :)

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »
I'm not sure, but I always use red onions fresh.  I think they taste weird cooked.  I generally use white onions to cook, but will use yellow in a pinch.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »
I prefer to use the red ones raw.  IMO They turn a weirdish color/texture when cooked, but I have used them in a pinch with no complaints from anyone else eating.  The Vidalia is my favorite and as they are grown just a few hours the north, I can get them year round fairly inexpensively  (I think they were .69lb when I bought some the other day).  I generally use yellow or white ones to cook with, but I like them raw too.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »
Are yellow onions different to brown onions?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »

they are the exact same thing   ;D
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
I never cook red onions either.  They just seem to work better raw.

katycoo

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:40 PM »

they are the exact same thing   ;D

Excellent.  Thanks for that.

To the OP:

I never cook with white onions unless I can't get brown.  I'm not really sure why...

I tend to use red onions raw in salads too.  They're colourful in an omlette though.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
red ones aren't as bitey tasting.  Yellow ones are mellower though but they are better for cooking.  Shallots have a slight sweet flavor.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »
To me

A yellow onion is a bit sweeter than a white onion.

The red onion is a little sharper and sweeter, but not enough to worry about. Only worth paying ($) for the color.

My favorites to have on hand at all times would be green onions and dried onions. The green are fresh tasting and good for salad and the tops as chives, the dried can go almost anywhere when hydrated.

high dudgeon

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »
It's funny, but I never use white onions. I just don't bother and the only time I see other people use them is chopped up on top of hot dogs. They seem a little sharper and a little blander than the yellow ones to me. I love red onions both raw and cooked. I usually buy a big bag of yellow onions, and just get a red once in a while for a specific dish (although if I have red and I'm out of yellow, I'll just substitute them instead of going shopping again.)

WHATSNEW

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:06:19 PM »
My dad only made onion rings with the large (bigger than my fist) white onions.  I prefer Vidalia onions when I cook but will use yellow onions if I cannot get them.  Red onions are best for burgers. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »
Depends what I'm cooking...   Sorta like with apple pie, a mix of types is good - I use a variety of onions when making gravy...  Or when I'm making onions to go with pierogis.   I've used white & red raw or cooked with burgers.  I've used vidallia in all sorts of stuff, both cooked and raw...   It pays to experiment with things - don't let yourself get in a rut - if you try it & don't like it, then try something different  ;D

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 04:24:40 AM »
I use all kinds of onions, totally depending on the dish.

I mostly use yellow onions, shallots and red onions, not that big a fan of white.
Shallot is pretty much the standard that I can use for almost anything - also they're nice and small so I don't waste onion if I only need a little.