Author Topic: Autograph Stories  (Read 32028 times)

McCutieBelle

Re: Autograph Stories
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2010, 05:49:02 AM »
Once you get over the initial kind of "shock" in seeing them and trying not to get too worried about saying anything silly (like I do!) it is fine.

When I first met an actor that I REALLY enjoyed and who I thought was very handsome, I was at first like "okay, he's tall, he is 2 feet away from me, smiling, ACK coming towards me!!! Say hello, just hello" then I was fine and was able to converse and joke around with him like a normal human. My mother was shocked, she thought I would faint because evidently when I was 10 I met an actor from a soap and nearly keeled over from excitement, I reminded my mother I WAS 10 ;)
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

faithlessone

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »
Hehe - Bella, that reminds me of my first autograph.

I used to go to the ballet with my grandmother when I was quite young (between about 5-9). One year, when I was about 7, we went to a couple of different ballets (one was Alice in Wonderland, the other I think was the Nutcracker) done by the English National Ballet. After Alice, my gran took me to the stage door for the first time. The dancer who had played the Queen of Hearts came to the door, still in full costume. My gran grabbed my hand, and told me not to be afraid, because she was just pretending to be the queen.

Apparently I, with all the conviction of a "grown-up girl" said: "Gran, I'm not 6! I know that!!"

I still have that autograph. (And I'm still bitter that I never got "Alice's").

Lillie82

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
I enjoy all the stories on this board of fans who met celebrities and got to evaluate that they were gracious (or not.)

A fan-started web site for Garth Brooks fans has become quasi-official: www.planetgarth.com. The Forums include "Garth Moments," where people tell their autograph and meet-and-greet stories. They are overwhelmingly positive - but then again, many of the posters are quite the gaga, he-can-do-no-wrong kind of fans.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
I have met some of those fans... very much putting a celeb on a pedestal and thinking that little birds do his hair every morning while they sip tea and want to marry them... it is scary BUT I do like hearing positive things about meeting actors, because you hear so much negative.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:21 PM »
I was reminded of an autograph story that makes me chuckle.

Blue Angels - A touring group of fighter pilots
afblue - a small child who would grow to be a jet mechanic type person

I got turned down at an air show by the Blue Angels for an autograph.  The lines were long, and I guess they were out of time, so they left.  I walked up to one and asked if he could please sign my poster, and he said no while bumping me off.

Years go by

I'm in Vegas for a training exercise.  Some Blue Angel pilots are laughing it up at the bar (wearing their official gear, so everyone will know they are a pilot)  I go to get a drink, and a pilot asks if I want an autograph.  I told him that it took 15 years and 4 cup sizes to get that offer.  He looked confused... I laughed.

Never got an autograph, but later I did get some free drinks from guys who are paid waaaaaay better than I am.   Works for me.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »
Another one.  Here at my base, we are Home Of The Flying Tigers... bunch of heritage stuff that I never bothered looking up out of stubbornness.  Anyway, we were doing a burger burn fundraiser at a local college football game, and there were posters with the classic "Flying Tiger" fighter jets on them.

One of our pilots decides he needs to autograph all of the posters (what is it with fighter pilots :P ::) )

Then our squadron commander autographed them, because the fundraiser WAS for his squadron and he didn't want to get one upped by a snot nosed pilot that he outranked and outimed by many years (prior enlisted Marine, he is cool  ;D )

Then I autographed all of them because I am the coolest chick in the Air Force ;D  All of them had either a peace sign or a daisy near my name... I'm still a hippie at heart.

The pilot got all bum hurt, but my commander thought it was awesome!  We have one poster that he bought and had all of us at the fundraiser sign it.  It is in his office as we speak ;D

My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »
I have a good story.

I was in line for the bathroom at an LA Kings hockey game at the Forum.  The line was long -- it took me around 20 minutes just to get to the front.  At some point, I noticed Tiffani Thiessen was in line in front of me.  (At the time, she was on 90210.  And she went by Tiffani-Amber.  But I digress.)

When we got almost to the front of the line, a pair of girls -- maybe 11 or 12 or so -- noticed Tiffani.  And they went gaga.  They ran up to her, squealing with pre-teen excitement, and asked for her autograph.  Problem is, she was literally moments away from her turn in line.  So she told them no problem, but asked if it was okay if she went to the bathroom first.  Girls agreed.

I got out of my stall around the same time she did.  The girls were still waiting and squealing.  She reminded them that she really needed to wash her hands first, and while she did, she started talking to them.  As I left, she was signing autographs.

She was so kind to those girls, even though their request came at a terribly inopportune time.  To this day, every time I hear her name mentioned, I think, "What a classy woman."

eport

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
I have a fun story.

I was an audience memeber at the NPR show Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me last week. (if you are a fan, I would highly recommend going to see them in person). After the show, the cast sticks around and signs autographs. All were incredibly nice. Peter Sagal autgraphed his book for me :).

But the kicker, the next day was my birthday. My friend asked announcer/former newscaster Carl Kassell if he would sing to me for my birthday. He didn't hesitate, put his arm around me and sang happy birthday, ending with a kiss on the cheek. An awesome bday present.

Millicent

« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
But the kicker, the next day was my birthday. My friend asked announcer/former newscaster Carl Kassell if he would sing to me for my birthday. He didn't hesitate, put his arm around me and sang happy birthday, ending with a kiss on the cheek. An awesome bday present.

That's really sweet! I would love to get his voice on my answering machine.    ;D

MegSong22

« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2010, 12:26:55 AM »
Wow! I thought Mine was a good one!
I am a cancer survivor, going on ten years now. I got to do a Make a wish trip and mine was to meet the cast of Diagnosis Murder. I didn't get to meet Victoria Rowell, But I got to meet Barry VanDyke, Charlie Schaletter(Who came in just to meet us) Guest star Steve Lawrence and of course the absolute epitome of the class act wingadingdingy Van Dyke. (Bert in Mary Poppins if the board blocks the name). I have many many cherished memories from that day. And if any of you folks is on here, thank you again!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »
I have several autographs from my radio days, but two particular favorites:

1. I leaned on our promotions director to hire the Mavericks to play a festival we were sponsoring in June of '94. He did (we contracted with them in Dec of '93, when they were still just becoming nationally known on the strength of their 3rd - and undoubtedly most popular - album, What A Crying Shame). I was absolutely enthralled by that album, the vocals of Raul Malo, the beautiful harmonies, and how well they played together. Anyway, I had the privilege of introducing the band at the festival and interviewing both Raul Malo and the then-bass player, Robert Reynolds (who, as an aside, was married to Trisha Yearwood at the time). I had a promotional copy of the CD that featured a photo of the band on the disk itself. All four of them signed it for me, and it makes a beautiful display piece. It also reminds me of the one time that I really lobbied hard to help break a band that deserved it.

2. At another festival that year, John Michael Montgomery was headlining. Another radio station sponsored that show, so I had no privileges other than those given by the other station as a matter of professional courtesy. JMM was having his heyday then, and he was an extremely attractive man. I wanted to meet him, so the promotions director of the other station arranged it for me. The event was being held at the regional state fair, so my station was there broadcasting anyway. He took me to the backstage area a couple of hours before the show and introduced me to JMM. I happened to have a roll of my station's promo stickers with me, so on the spur of the moment, I asked him to sign one, which he did. As I started to walk away, he grabbed me by the belt of my jacket and pulled me back, saying, "We have to have pictures!" He put his arm around me - and, wow! Did he smell GOOD! - and the guy from the other radio station took our picture. In the second that followed, JMM planted a real, live kiss right on my lips and my knees buckled (really! He was so good looking and smelled so delicious!). I think I floated all the way back to the booth where my station was broadcasting from. Our promotions director (who I was dating at the time) gave me a dark look when I told him what happened. He accused me of being starstruck. I wasn't. I'd met a lot of people during my time at the station...I was simply a girl who got unexpectedly kissed by a real hunk. :D

Anyway...I received a copy of the photo in the mail shortly thereafter; I thought I'd kept it in a boxful of radio memorabilia, but I haven't seen it in years. If I ever find that pic again, I'll post it.

Lauren7891

« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »
Ben Lee (singer) performed at my college and he signed my tshirt for me. Even though it doesn't fit anymore, I still have it because it has an autograph on it.

Also, my dad and I were at a Red Sox game and as we were leaving, we were the only ones on the ramp except for one other guy... And then my dad realized that the other guy was Doug Flutie! He was a little ahead of us so we didn't get an autograph tho

Everlee

« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2010, 01:08:12 PM »
I'm REALLY into music, so meeting a member of my favorite bands (no matter how famous or not they are) is about like someone else meeting Brad Pitt.  LOL.
MY favorite band is big in Canada, but not so well known here in the US so both concerts I've been to of theirs have been small enough that they stay after and sign autographs.  I turned into a blabbering idiot in front of one of them, but he was sweet enough to ignore it and we had about five minutes of conversation. 
The second concert that I went to see them was two weeks later and he remembered me from before. 
It completely made my year!
The drummer was really nice, too.  He was hauling their water back to the bus and offered me one.  I still have that on my dresser!

Ender

« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
In my experience, some of the nicest people to fans are the people who have worked with Joss Whedon. James Marsters (played Spike on Buffy and Angel), especially. He comes to Dragon*Con every year, and could not be a nicer, more wonderful person to the fans. Adam Baldwin is also super-nice, as is Jewel Staite (who enjoys hanging out in the hotel bars with fans), Morena Baccarin, and Felicia Day. And I can't say enough amazing things about Nathan Fillion. That man is genuinely a great human being.

My favorite autograph moment, though, was with Andy Hallett (RIP :( ), who played Lorne on Angel. At Dragon*Con a few years ago, he wandered into the Buffy track during a Buffy Karaoke panel late one night, and spent the entire time trying to fix the karaoke machine for us and joining in singing with people. After we were booted out of the room, he came with us up to one of the hotel bars, where he sat with us fans and ate lots of ice cream and chatted. He gave everyone free autographs, despite that management was charging for them during the day, because "I just like that people like me! I have the coolest job!".

On the other side of autographs, I was a huge fan of *NSync when I was 17 or so, and met them a few times in various autograph lines. Most of the guys were great. Justin Timberlake, not so much.

MizB

« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
>snip<
My favorite autograph moment, though, was with Andy Hallett (RIP :( ), who played Lorne on Angel. At Dragon*Con a few years ago, he wandered into the Buffy track during a Buffy Karaoke panel late one night, and spent the entire time trying to fix the karaoke machine for us and joining in singing with people. After we were booted out of the room, he came with us up to one of the hotel bars, where he sat with us fans and ate lots of ice cream and chatted. He gave everyone free autographs, despite that management was charging for them during the day, because "I just like that people like me! I have the coolest job!".

This just made my day. I had a nice sized crush on Mr. Hallett and was very sad when I heard of his passing. I am so glad he was as nice as I had always hoped.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797